The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DR documentary makers talk S & L (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59539)

bombaysaffires 05-10-2022 01:26 AM

DR documentary makers talk S & L
 
The two guys who filmed the Destiny Rules documentary talk about what that experience was like:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdXG_l4Dckl/

According to them it was Lindsey's idea to film the process; they didn't know if Stevie would even participate in recording; they were "like an old married couple" but their tiffs never got particularly big or bad. It's a short audio, little over 5 mins.

Macfan4life 05-10-2022 03:39 AM

I am so glad they filmed it. It does not seem like that long ago but when you watch it, it is a time capsule. The cell phones and cars are so old and they look so young. I loved watching the creative process of everyone involved. It was very Tusk like but maybe with a few more tiffs. Lindsey wanted to put all the creative songs on a double album and everyone punched back wanting only a 10 song commercial disc. I hate the part when Mick tells the camera something like Lindsey is mostly getting his way and if the album bombs and only sells 500k copies, hes going to really hurt. Guess what? The album only sold 500k copies. But that is another thing that makes you realize how old the album is. If an album today sold 500k copies, it would be considered a huge success LOL

DownOnRodeo 05-10-2022 06:32 AM

"We shot like five hundred hours or some crazy amount of film."

The documentary inevitably hones in on the dramatic narratives (the double album thing, the track listing, the mastering).
There's so much footage of music/producing stuff that we don't get to see.

Macfan4life 05-10-2022 07:08 AM

What would we do on this board without that Bob Dylan quote. Its given this board almost 20 years of mileage. For that reason alone, the movie was worth it.

rhiannondontgo 05-10-2022 07:47 AM

Man what I wouldn’t give to watch some more of the unused tape. Especially those hidden night-vision-looking cameras. It was interesting watching SnL interacting alone (and seemingly forgetting the cameras) in the one clip where he’s going on about the double album and saying what this means to him and then dabbing at tears.

I also always wondered why they cut out whatever argument you see a glimpse of in the Access Hollywood thing where Stevie’s yelling in that very whiney voice “of course you hate it because I wrote it!” or something to that effect. I assume she’s talking about either naming the album SYW or naming the doc DR, but who knows. We never saw the context of that fight and I’d love to see it.

jbrownsjr 05-10-2022 08:38 AM

The one thing I remember is being more excited about the music in this doc. than what actuallY ended up on the album.

I also remember Lindsey trying so hard to keep the project together. He had a vision and did everything possible to try and get that vision out.

The rest of them didn't seem to care about anything but the commerce of it.
I see both sides of this. But, mostly thought LIndsey was treated a bit unfairly at times.

I however just don't think his music is anywhere near cutting edge on this vs. Go Insane album or even Tusk/Law and Order etc. The production also seemed a bit generic to me. This album was kind of a mess, in my opinion.

I also thought it was a lost opportunity for B/N to really collaborate. She's on a different planet with her career compared to where he is. He wants to create and she wants mgmt to maintain her superstar status. PERIOD

Macfan4life 05-10-2022 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo (Post 1274435)
Man what I wouldn’t give to watch some more of the unused tape. Especially those hidden night-vision-looking cameras. It was interesting watching SnL interacting alone (and seemingly forgetting the cameras) in the one clip where he’s going on about the double album and saying what this means to him and then dabbing at tears.

I also always wondered why they cut out whatever argument you see a glimpse of in the Access Hollywood thing where Stevie’s yelling in that very whiney voice “of course you hate it because I wrote it!” or something to that effect. I assume she’s talking about either naming the album SYW or naming the doc DR, but who knows. We never saw the context of that fight and I’d love to see it.

Yes I remember that. It also reminds me of another part that was cut from Stevie's VH1 Behind The Music. During the promos Paul Fishkin talked about "near overdoses while on the road." That really peaked my interest but it never appeared in the full segment. Stevie must have had final say.

bombaysaffires 05-10-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1274433)
"We shot like five hundred hours or some crazy amount of film."

The documentary inevitably hones in on the dramatic narratives (the double album thing, the track listing, the mastering).
There's so much footage of music/producing stuff that we don't get to see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo (Post 1274435)
Man what I wouldn’t give to watch some more of the unused tape. Especially those hidden night-vision-looking cameras. It was interesting watching SnL interacting alone (and seemingly forgetting the cameras) in the one clip where he’s going on about the double album and saying what this means to him and then dabbing at tears.

I also always wondered why they cut out whatever argument you see a glimpse of in the Access Hollywood thing where Stevie’s yelling in that very whiney voice “of course you hate it because I wrote it!” or something to that effect. I assume she’s talking about either naming the album SYW or naming the doc DR, but who knows. We never saw the context of that fight and I’d love to see it.

Yep, so so so much material that would have made a great bonus outtakes extra disc or that they could put out as part of a re-release of it now. But alas..... getting the 5 to agree on much (really it's the 2) nowadays seems highly unlikely....

You do wonder if/when one of the 5 goes, and especially when either or both of the 2 ( S&L) go, whether then some of the unreleased stuff will come out....

bombaysaffires 05-10-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1274439)
Yes I remember that. It also reminds me of another part that was cut from Stevie's VH1 Behind The Music. During the promos Paul Fishkin talked about "near overdoses while on the road." That really peaked my interest but it never appeared in the full segment. Stevie must have had final say.

Yep, one of the most honest bits....so of course it was cut.

But if you go back and look at pics from that time period, there are any number of pics of her out at events and whatnot where she's got 2 people, one on either side of her, basically holding her upright while trying to make it look like they aren't. Often one would be Lori.

elle 05-10-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1274437)
I however just don't think his music is anywhere near cutting edge on this vs. Go Insane album or even Tusk/Law and Order etc. The production also seemed a bit generic to me. This album was kind of a mess, in my opinion.

yeah your opinion is null and void mister :p :angel:

he was at his musical peak at the time. I will never ever get over that fact that the amazing most fantastic album ever by a FM member that was gonna be original Gift of Screws got watered down and drawn in the mess that's Say You Will. it's such a shame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1274437)
I also thought it was a lost opportunity for B/N to really collaborate. She's on a different planet with her career compared to where he is. He wants to create and she wants mgmt to maintain her superstar status. PERIOD

i did think it was interesting that she already then didn't want to join and they were thinking will she or won't she. guess nothing really changed since, just became a downward spiral. even then she was focused on solely her name and how to become a legend in capital letters that she now 20 years later finally seems to have accomplished, while the rest of them were all band first.

DownOnRodeo 05-10-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1274434)
What would we do on this board without that Bob Dylan quote. Its given this board almost 20 years of mileage. For that reason alone, the movie was worth it.

You wouldn't say that to Jim Jarmusch!

HomerMcvie 05-10-2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1274434)
What would we do on this board without that Bob Dylan quote. Its given this board almost 20 years of mileage. For that reason alone, the movie was worth it.

It truly showed us(the way)what an egotistical gas bag $he is.

elle 05-10-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1274428)
The two guys who filmed the Destiny Rules documentary talk about what that experience was like:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdXG_l4Dckl/

According to them it was Lindsey's idea to film the process; they didn't know if Stevie would even participate in recording; they were "like an old married couple" but their tiffs never got particularly big or bad. It's a short audio, little over 5 mins.

just now realized that the link is not to the original interview, and that insta post never credited where they ripped the audio from so here's the original podcast link:


DownOnRodeo 05-10-2022 10:23 PM

Five hundred hours of footage of them recording an album.

All we got was one hour of Karen lounging around patting Yorkshire terriers, Mick undressing, Stevie being outsung by a fish, Lindsey haplessly pursuing a completely different project to what the rest are interested in, and John spluttering to get a word in edgewise.

bombaysaffires 05-10-2022 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1274460)
just now realized that the link is not to the original interview, and that insta post never credited where they ripped the audio from so here's the original podcast link:


thanks for tracking that down, elle. Credit should indeed be given where it is due!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved