The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey Buckingham album is here (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59349)

TrueFaith77 09-16-2021 11:39 PM

Lindsey Buckingham album is here

The album is now available to everyone.

What does everybody think?

KenshiMaster16 09-17-2021 01:11 AM

Not even showing up on the main iTunes page for me. Just looked and its not even in the Top 200.

Peestie 09-17-2021 02:35 AM

Just finished my first listen (apart from the 3 singles, which I probably overplayed).

I enjoyed it a lot but so much of it was not what I was expecting at all. For example, the (intentionally?) goofy synth of Blue Light threw me! I really like the electro influence on some of the tracks.

First impressions of the non-singles, based on a single listen so don't hold me to them ;):

Swan Song - really good. Not just new sonic textures for Lindsey but also some new melodic and harmonic influence. An album highlight.
Blind Love - schmaltzy in the same was as Say We'll Meet Again. Probably this one will grow on me. Probably sounds the most like a L&O track.
Time - really nice. Not much more to say. Touching song performed well.
Blue Light - that synth is a little jarring but the song is good.
Power Down - has elements of Animal Collective (who I have always heard a lot of Lindsey in) both melodically and sonically. Really loved this one.
Santa Rosa - a classic Lindsey song. The chorus is really great.
Dancing - I really like this one. I was expecting even more ethereal production based on comments I had read. More restrained production that I'd guessed. I'd have added more ghostly backing vocals or reverb :) Not something most people say about Lindsey!

Overall, I really like it a lot ad there are no duds. I can't guess where it will land in relation to his other albums yet because, as always, there is a lot to digest. Really looking forward to getting to knowing all of these songs better :thumbsup:

louielouie2000 09-17-2021 01:48 PM

Words cannot express how much I love Swan Song. It combines my two favorite aspects of Lindsey: sonic experimentation/deconstruction & Spanish-style guitar work. Power Down is another immediate favorite. I was marginally concerned this album might be a little too straightforward… I love the blend of material here though. Looking forward to a enjoying deeper dive of the album this weekend.

tango87 09-17-2021 02:34 PM

I've really fallen in love with it already - I'm just playing it on repeat.

So many gorgeous hooks and harmonies. Wonderful lyrics - he's wearing his heart on his sleeve. And the choice of 'Time' as a cover echoes 'September Song' from Law And Order, but with the poignancy of age - this time, he knows what he's singing about...

Storms123 09-17-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tango87 (Post 1269717)
I've really fallen in love with it already - I'm just playing it on repeat.

So many gorgeous hooks and harmonies. Wonderful lyrics - he's wearing his heart on his sleeve. And the choice of 'Time' as a cover echoes 'September Song' from Law And Order, but with the poignancy of age - this time, he knows what he's singing about...

I love it. And agree, there are no real duds. I saw him in NY last night, and the new songs were very well received. Downloaded the new album today and have been playing it on a loop

Street_Dreamer 09-17-2021 05:27 PM

Just finished listening to the entire album and the main thing I took from it is just how much I personally needed it. It's been a really horrible two years for pretty much everyone, myself included. I didn't realize just how much hearing a new album from Lindsey would really mean to me.

I went into it without having listened to the singles or anything at all. I wanted the whole thing to be a fresh experience all at once. I love the first three tracks. Blue Light is fantastic. Listening to Santa Rosa got me really emotional to the point of tears. I can't explain how or why.

I need to listen to the album more to get a true sense of how I feel about it but as I said before, I'm just glad and thankful Lindsey is still putting out new material.

Street_Dreamer 09-17-2021 05:30 PM

BTW, I assumed that On The Wrong Side was going to be a reworked version of the original On The Wrong Side that Lindsey did for the With Honors Soundtrack. Was pleasantly surprised (shocked) it was a completely new song.

Can anyone name other artists/bands who've had two different songs with the same title? I'm curious.

BombaySapphire3 09-17-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer (Post 1269724)
Listening to Santa Rosa got me really emotional to the point of tears. I can't explain how or why.

I need to listen to the album more to get a true sense of how I feel about it but as I said before, I'm just glad and thankful Lindsey is still putting out new material.

I love Santa Rosa ! This song and a few others on the album would have made a great Fleetwood Mac song. I'm also happy that he is still releasing good music..since the rest of his ex band are creatively bankrupt.

wilsonmac 09-17-2021 08:16 PM

[IMG]http://img-cdn.filefactory.com/embed...n86ry278c.jpeg[/IMG]

Instant classic from Lindsey. Such an amazing album.

BLY 09-17-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1269728)
I love Santa Rosa ! This song and a few others on the album would have made a great Fleetwood Mac song. I'm also happy that he is still releasing good music..since the rest of his ex band are creatively bankrupt.

Yes, the more I listen to these songs as well as the BuckMcVie songs we could have had 2 Amazing Fleetwood Mac albums that would have given Lindsey more “exposure” to his excellence. Thank you Lindsey for your new music!

mylittledemon 09-18-2021 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peestie (Post 1269705)
Dancing - I really like this one. I was expecting even more ethereal production based on comments I had read.

Not enjoying the album as a whole (thus far) but Dancing is my immediate favourite.

TrueFaith77 09-18-2021 12:34 PM

I’ll have more to say but initially I was disappointed. Then I realized I love the first six tracks. Now, I love all of them except Power Down. ETA: NVM i love Power Down now too.

I do wish Stevie had not torpedoed what would have been a wonderful start to new music for the Buckingham McVie lineup of Fleetwood Mac.

One of the fun games to play with the album: is whether each song is about Kristen or Stevie? Or both?

DownOnRodeo 09-18-2021 09:22 PM

What an album!

Perfect for playing over the speaker on a breezy weekend afternoon.

Highlights for me so far include the "Family Man" type guitar in Swan Song and the syncopation in Power Down.

Here's hoping that being on the road for the current tour will inspire him to write new material so that we keep getting more albums.

KenshiMaster16 09-19-2021 01:01 AM

Maybe over half of it has clicked with me so far. The 3 singles, Swan Song, Time and Dancing.

Think I will need to give the rest of the album more spins to see if I end up liking them as well. I will say this, however: the production and the instrumentation is, once again, top notch.

The Chain 09-19-2021 02:55 AM

I'm a little disappointed he changed/toned down the Dancing lyrics from it's live debut we got years ago;)

Gone is "Poor little raven, addicted to fame, trying to begin at the end of the game, all those who love her, they look on in pain." Ouch!

michelej1 09-19-2021 04:51 PM

Dancing is everything that is wrong with the way he performs NGBA. It makes me want to throw tomatoes at him. That is not music. It’s like spoken word. ANNOYING spoken word.

I like everything else except Blind Love.

Favorite is On the Wrong Side.

I’m out of pity.

mylittledemon 09-20-2021 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chain (Post 1269747)
Gone is "Poor little raven, addicted to fame, trying to begin at the end of the game, all those who love her, they look on in pain." Ouch!

I had never seen this before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZSzx3rg2fE

The Chain 09-20-2021 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1269754)
I had never seen this before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZSzx3rg2fE

A lot of people dislike it, but I’ve enjoyed it since this vid came out! Was wondering if it would ever turn up in studio form. Again though, I think the first version is lyrically superior.. or at the very least more biting:D

Street_Dreamer 09-20-2021 03:02 PM

The opening of Power Down sounded straight from a John Stewart song.

aleuzzi 09-20-2021 05:48 PM

I am digging the new collection of songs. Like many, “Swan Song” is the one I keep returning to, but I think about seven of the songs are really strong. Kudos to Lindsey for pulling this off at such a late stage of his career. He exhibits no sign of either diminished creativity or lack of guitar ingenuity.

I would have LOVED to hear Christine harmonies on “I Don’t Mind.”

Odd thing: as with the LB/CM release, I wasn’t excited by the musical previews or songs released in advance, but was pleased when I heard everything in its full context.

BLY 09-20-2021 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1269776)
I am digging the new collection of songs. Like many, “Swan Song” is the one I keep returning to, but I think about seven of the songs are really strong. Kudos to Lindsey for pulling this off at such a late stage of his career. He exhibits no sign of either diminished creativity or lack of guitar ingenuity.

I would have LOVED to hear Christine harmonies on “I Don’t Mind.”

Odd thing: as with the LB/CM release, I wasn’t excited by the musical previews or songs released in advance, but was pleased when I heard everything in its full context.

Yes this is a great follow up to the BuckMcVie songs.

blinker12 09-20-2021 06:56 PM

I like the album a lot. The two I skip are “Blind Love” and “Time” - nice that they’re right together!

The remaining songs are well crafted and insanely catchy. Someone used the term “ear worm” and that’s spot on. Even the stuff I hadn’t heard before started repeating in my head after only about three listens.

Neal 09-20-2021 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1269751)
Dancing is everything that is wrong with the way he performs NGBA. It makes me want to throw tomatoes at him. That is not music. It’s like spoken word. ANNOYING spoken word.

Agreed 100%! I can only take so much whispering.

After 4 listens front to back, "Blue Light" is the only other track I'm not crazy about. The rest is as good as anything from SWS or GoS, imho...

elle 09-20-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer (Post 1269765)
The opening of Power Down sounded straight from a John Stewart song.

or straight from a David Bowie song.

aleuzzi 09-21-2021 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1269786)
or straight from a David Bowie song.

There’s quite a distance between John Stewart and David Bowie, which tells us a lot about LB’s wide-ranging, eclectic interests. His music is more versatile within the bounds of 3.5 minute songs than almost any guitarist songwriter of his generation.

michelej1 09-21-2021 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12 (Post 1269780)
I like the album a lot. The two I skip are “Blind Love” and “Time” - nice that they’re right together!

The remaining songs are well crafted and insanely catchy. Someone used the term “ear worm” and that’s spot on. Even the stuff I hadn’t heard before started repeating in my head after only about three listens.

But I am noticing that his productions have a lot of back to back duds, going back to SYW, with Silver Girl and RTTG. That sequence caused 3 reported comas. And I believe Lindsey did the sequencing while everyone else was in Hawaii and it was such bad sequencing that he deserved to get fired from the band, 15 years later. Then with BM, we had the back to back snooze of On with the Show and Carnival Begin. Although there, since both songs came at the end you could just in the album after Game of Pretend and it would be fine.

Blind Love has the worst lyrics too.

I think my favorites after On the Wrong Side are Scream and Swan Song. And Swan Song has the freshest guitar work. Very beautiful.

HomerMcvie 09-21-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1269790)
Then with BM, we had the back to back snooze of On with the Show and Carnival Begin. Although there, since both songs came at the end you could just in the album after Game of Pretend and it would be fine.

Oh, no you didn't go there!

I LOVE On With The Show! Love, love, love!!!

But I'm with you on Carnival. People RAVED about how it was the second coming or something. I mean, it's okay... if you love Only Over You, Storms, Mystified, Beautiful Child, and Oh Daddy. Snoozeville is the address of those. Although I appreciate the money they save me in buying Tylenol PM.:p

DownOnRodeo 09-21-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

But I am noticing that his productions have a lot of back to back duds, going back to SYW, with Silver Girl and RTTG.

Sleep through RTTG?? I guess it's possible, if the Silver Girl induced coma is deep enough. :laugh:

It's brilliant how each fan has such varying opinions after their first listens.

Other than the three singles, Power Down remains my favorite at this stage.
And Dancing is so atmospheric, melancholy, and the perfect closer.

Even though the style of Blind Love, Time, and Blue Light would probably not be my cup of tea for the whole album, I think they fit in perfectly amidst the other tracks here, and each on their own is still a standout.

The production is so good, the vocals so clear and the music so engaging, moreso than much of his more recent work IMO. The whole album has a cohesive "twilight in California" vibe--the most cohesive sonic and narrative gestalt since Tango and Cradle.

It almost feels a violation to listen to one song in isolation rather than in the context of the whole album.

Street_Dreamer 09-21-2021 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1269803)
It almost feels a violation to listen to one song in isolation rather than in the context of the whole album.

This for me. The only song that I might be listen to without the rest of the album is Santa Rosa.

jmn3 09-22-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

But I am noticing that his productions have a lot of back to back duds, going back to SYW, with Silver Girl and RTTG. That sequence caused 3 reported comas. And I believe Lindsey did the sequencing while everyone else was in Hawaii and it was such bad sequencing that he deserved to get fired from the band, 15 years later. Then with BM, we had the back to back snooze of On with the Show and Carnival Begin. Although there, since both songs came at the end you could just in the album after Game of Pretend and it would be fine.

I love Running Through the Garden! And OWTS and CB are two of my favorites off that album! Now, where we can agree, whoever decided Silver Girl got beyond a rough demo should have been shot out of a cannon into the sun. That has to be one of the worst piles of trash that ever was released under the Fleetwood Mac name.

tango87 09-22-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1269803)

I also heartily agree with this! It’s such a complete experience, a true album.

The Chain 09-23-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12 (Post 1269780)

I was waiting for somebody else to express this sentiment..
I don’t dislike those songs, and I really do love the album as a whole, but like I always do, especially with a band as frustrating as late-career Fleetwood Mac, or in this case solo Lindsey, I like to make my own fantasy playlists, throw in those “missed opportunity” songs that I really feel should have been represented on an album.. I replaced Blind Love with Ride This Road, took out Time, and put Hunger between Santa Rosa and Dancing, a much needed little pep-step up at the end for me!

blinker12 09-24-2021 07:00 AM

^ Oh I love “Hunger”! Great idea.

TrueFaith77 09-24-2021 11:25 AM

Blind Love is my favorite!

jwd 09-27-2021 05:02 PM

I can't stop listening. I think it's fantastic. Might possibly be my favorite of his.

soul_drifter333 09-27-2021 06:15 PM

I'm loving the new CD. In the past I would buy the newest album on it's release date and play it until I couldn't listen to it any more, so I'm taking it slower on this one. Who knows how long it will be before we get something else new. The great thing about Lindsey's production is that there are so many layers you have to listen to it many times to hear all the different parts. I've had Santa Rosa stuck in my head for days!

BLY 09-27-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 (Post 1269956)
I'm loving the new CD. In the past I would buy the newest album on it's release date and play it until I couldn't listen to it any more, so I'm taking it slower on this one. Who knows how long it will be before we get something else new. The great thing about Lindsey's production is that there are so many layers you have to listen to it many times to hear all the different parts. I've had Santa Rosa stuck in my head for days!

Yes I agree. Every time I listen to it I pick something else I didn’t hear before. This really is a gem and like the BuckMcVie album limiting it to 10 tracks is a good call.

sue 09-28-2021 04:05 AM

Ken Bruce Radio 2…just played, “I’m on the wrong side “.
saying that this song was from Lindsey Buckingham’s new Album..
good plug for the Album as Ken is very popular. ( in the UK)
And …I’m on the wrong side …is on Radio2’s playlist….so lots of plays for it.

soul_drifter333 09-28-2021 06:18 PM

NEW PODCAST EPISODE

Lindsey Buckingham: Going His Own Way
Broken Record

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7e4DqzjQeFL4oFeye7ZkwL