The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" album discussion episode of Phonogenics 101 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59348)

JeremyGloff 09-16-2021 09:01 PM

"24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" album discussion episode of Phonogenics 101

Taking a break from the recent "he said/she said" tea, we went back to 2014 and discussed Stevie's "24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" album. Can you believe it's been 7 years already.

Look forward to reading the additional discussions in the comments!

https://youtu.be/Ec_5hRb1Uuo

mitzo 09-17-2021 07:02 AM

Probably my favourite of hers. Sincere work, 100% Stevie being Stevie throughout. Can't wait to sit down and watch this discussion!

mitzo 09-18-2021 08:47 AM

The album is clearly a treat for real fans, the general public or casual fans are unlikely to get most of it. As one panelist said, it is honest and there is no grasping desperately for a radio hit and (almost) no cowrites or covers.

The songs are really Stevie and Dave Stewart seems to have let her run free here while supporting the songs with good production for the most part. Listen to some tricks here and there, like the whispered "wrap her in velvet" in the intro to 24 Karat Gold. In some cases, like Blue Water, Lady, She Loves Him Still it sounds like Stevie was working hard on the vocal or they did the vocal in one take, making it seem almost concert-like at times.

The discussion focused on comparisons to old demos a lot, which is typical of fans, but I like to take the finished products as they come.

I love the album, it is quirky and self-indulgent and rambling and Stevie. I always seem to deviate sharply from the majority of fans in this: My favourite thing about it is that it has no less than 4 ballads, 5 is you count Hard Advice. The best non-ballad is, of course, Mabel Normand, which is bat ***** crazy but delivered with such strength and conviction you are yanked hard into the nutso world of Stevie at her kookiest. A roller coaster ride of almost nonsense but sounding oh so important.

And unlike most, I put Watch Devil and Belle Fleur at the bottom of my list, that style of Stevie leaves me bored and cold. Or lying face-down in the rain...

UnwindedDreams 09-18-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1269734)
The album is clearly a treat for real fans, the general public or casual fans are unlikely to get most of it. As one panelist said, it is honest and there is no grasping desperately for a radio hit and (almost) no cowrites or covers.

The songs are really Stevie and Dave Stewart seems to have let her run free here while supporting the songs with good production for the most part. Listen to some tricks here and there, like the whispered "wrap her in velvet" in the intro to 24 Karat Gold. In some cases, like Blue Water, Lady, She Loves Him Still it sounds like Stevie was working hard on the vocal or they did the vocal in one take, making it seem almost concert-like at times.

The discussion focused on comparisons to old demos a lot, which is typical of fans, but I like to take the finished products as they come.

I love the album, it is quirky and self-indulgent and rambling and Stevie. I always seem to deviate sharply from the majority of fans in this: My favourite thing about it is that it has no less than 4 ballads, 5 is you count Hard Advice. The best non-ballad is, of course, Mabel Normand, which is bat ***** crazy but delivered with such strength and conviction you are yanked hard into the nutso world of Stevie at her kookiest. A roller coaster ride of almost nonsense but sounding oh so important.

And unlike most, I put Watch Devil and Belle Fleur at the bottom of my list, that style of Stevie leaves me bored and cold. Or lying face-down in the rain...

I never heard a whisper in 24 Karat Gold! Was the demo called Watch Devil rather than Watch Chain? I know lyrics from Watch Chain are in the Enchanted booklet.

mitzo 09-18-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1269736)
I never heard a whisper in 24 Karat Gold! Was the demo called Watch Devil rather than Watch Chain? I know lyrics from Watch Chain are in the Enchanted booklet.

Watch Chain or Devil... was not in the Enchanted box set at all. The 24 Karat Gold whisper is in the instrumental intro to the song. Sort of a whisper that blends with the music.

UnwindedDreams 09-18-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1269737)
Watch Chain or Devil... was not in the Enchanted box set at all.

Open the booklet within Enchanted and let us know what you see.

mitzo 09-18-2021 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1269738)
Open the booklet within Enchanted and let us know what you see.

Yes a couple of lines are in there. Now go listen to 24KG and see if you can find that whisper.

UnwindedDreams 09-18-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1269742)
Now go listen to 24KG and see if you can find that whisper.

Too bad Team Stevie didn't include the whisper in this lyric video :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQIk_SOsiys

JeremyGloff 09-19-2021 09:00 PM

I keep listening over and over and for the life of me I can't hear that whisper on the album version of "24 Karat Gold" - I was also the guy who never saw the "hidden picture" in those weird paintings back in the 90s lol. Where exactly in the song is this whisper? I've tried like 5 times with no luck!

Macfan4life 09-20-2021 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyGloff (Post 1269753)
I keep listening over and over and for the life of me I can't hear that whisper on the album version of "24 Karat Gold" - I was also the guy who never saw the "hidden picture" in those weird paintings back in the 90s lol. Where exactly in the song is this whisper? I've tried like 5 times with no luck!

If you wheel in the same glass table, you will hear it.

mitzo 09-20-2021 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyGloff (Post 1269753)

In the intro, when the guitar kicks in it has two parts, and it is in the second part before the vocals begin. Hard to describe. But now you guys have me thinking I imagine it but no, in my speakers it is as clear as a bell: "dah dah dah wrap her in velvet dah dah set me free set me free...." It is Stevie's voice but very distant and muffled and it blends perfectly with the music.

bombaysaffires 09-20-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1269758)
In the intro, when the guitar kicks in it has two parts, and it is in the second part before the vocals begin. Hard to describe. But now you guys have me thinking I imagine it but no, in my speakers it is as clear as a bell: "dah dah dah wrap her in velvet dah dah set me free set me free...." It is Stevie's voice but very distant and muffled and it blends perfectly with the music.

i can sorta hear her voice but nothing distinct at all like those words

UnwindedDreams 04-21-2023 01:19 PM

With the absence of representation from 24 Karat Gold in Stevie's 2023 Tour setlist, I gave this record a listen.

I can't pick up a theme from this record like I could on IYD, which was magical love, loss, and death.

I think All The Beautiful Worlds is the best song on this album. I'm shocked she never performed the title track live.

Stevie only played 3 songs live from this album. One of those had very good lyrics. Starshine is great instrumentally but the lyrics aren't worthy of applause. Belle Fleur is repetitive lyrically but the music is so good I think it was worthy of a live debut.

I don't think Stevie is as proud of this record as she is of In Your Dreams or Trouble in Shangri-La.

jmn3 04-22-2023 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1284131)
I don't think Stevie is as proud of this record as she is of In Your Dreams or Trouble in Shangri-La.

Is she really “proud” of any album outside of BD and WH? Other than a select few tunes, she avoids digging too deep on any of her other ones including ignoring relatively popular hits.

UnwindedDreams 04-22-2023 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1284151)
Is she really “proud” of any album outside of BD and WH? Other than a select few tunes, she avoids digging too deep on any of her other ones including ignoring relatively popular hits.

That's a good point. She does more Fleetwood Mac songs than songs off of one Stevie album. I.E. she does Wild Heart, If Anyone Falls, Enchanted and Stand Back but for FM songs she does six!