The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Neil Finn featuring Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58952)

SteveMacD 08-26-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1259639)
Everyone and their mother knows darn well that even if Lindsey were in the band at that point, preparing for the 2018 tour - Stevie and the rest of the band would never of supported removing 3+ of the "hits" for pre-75 material.

Not according to the interview that Mick gave Rolling Stone. It was pretty clear that he and Stevie decided in Italy in 2017 that they were going to be playing obscure, deep tracks. They didn’t specify pre-1975, 88-95, but, given the 24KG setlist and Mick’s 67-74 coffee table book, it wasn’t especially hard to understand what he meant. And, that’s exactly what happened, at least initially.

Quote:

If I had to take a bet, the only reason we got Oh Well in 2009 was because it was one of Lindsey's picks for the set, not because Stevie or Mick suggested breaking up the setlist with pre-75 material.
Really? You couldn’t imagine Mick suggesting a Peter Green song? Especially one that was played on all but one tour since it was released until 1995?


Quote:

I also wouldnt be suprised if another factor in the sudden pre-75 love fest had to do with saving Stevie's voice for the hideous Tom Petty tribute at the end of the show.
And I wouldn’t be surprised if the pre-75 love had something to do with the career spanning compilation that was about to be released...

Quote:

Where's all the criticism of Christine not playing her earlier Fleetwood Mac material while in the band between 1979-1988?.....probably somebody elses fault, right?
She certainly played a couple of early songs on her 1984 solo tour, and it could be argued that when they played “Stop Messin’ Round” with Rick Vito, she was playing her earliest Fleetwood Mac performance, back from the time when she was still Christine Perfect.

However, comparing 1979-90 to 2018 is pretty disingenuous. Fleetwood Mac was a current, active band touring in support of multi-platinum albums. They’ve largely been an oldies band since 1994.

UnwindedDreams 08-26-2020 05:28 PM

I inferred from Mick's 2017 interview where he mentioned talking to Stevie about the set for the next tour that they were going to explore doing songs that they (Rumours 5) hadn't done in a while, and by that I thought Stevie was speaking on selecting her songs. Stevie in an interview around that time spoke about insisting on doing different things for the next tour and spoke about going through each of the albums and searching for stuff to do.
But I don't think she really showed for it on the 18/19 tour. No Straight Back, Angel, Sara, Welcome to the Room, or Everybody Finds Out. Say You Will was on the 50 Don't Stop package too and that wasn't touched. But heck Gypsy and Storms, a 2009 staple, were done!

I think the pre-FMFM focus was done for fun but also to help replace Lindsey songs too. I remember hearing Neil on the Sirius Channel in May 2018 saying how much of a big responsibility it was to him to sing Lindsey's songs. Too bad they only did Blue Letter once, and/or didn't try Oh Diane, Can't Go Back or Mystified.

I actually think Can't Go Back and Family Man would've been good for Neil, instead of Crowded House and Split Enz stuff in the set.

UnwindedDreams 08-26-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1259644)
There's absolutely no accounting for taste. If there was, I could explain that old goat's popularity.

And I don't give two f*cks what the masses like. I make my own choices based on the merits of the work before me.

Sheeple.....

Do you like goat cheese or milk? I do.

LBCM did better than 24KG and IYD in the United Kingdom. Stevie did press in London for IYD, but not 24. Chris did press for LBCM in June of 2017.

SteveMacD 08-26-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1259650)
I inferred from Mick's 2017 interview where he mentioned talking to Stevie about the set for the next tour that they were going to explore doing songs that they (Rumours 5) hadn't done in a while, and by that I thought Stevie was speaking on selecting her songs. Stevie in an interview around that time spoke about insisting on doing different things for the next tour and spoke about going through each of the albums and searching for stuff to do.

But I don't think she really showed for it on the 18/19 tour. No Straight Back, Angel, Sara, Welcome to the Room, or Everybody Finds Out. Say You Will was on the 50 Don't Stop package too and that wasn't touched. But heck Gypsy and Storms, a 2009 staple, were done!

Funny how we inferred different things from that interview. Based on what I inferred, Stevie absolutely delivered. She sang “Black Magic Woman” and turned “All Over Again” into a duet.

Quote:

I think the pre-FMFM focus was done for fun but also to help replace Lindsey songs too. I remember hearing Neil on the Sirius Channel in May 2018 saying how much of a big responsibility it was to him to sing Lindsey's songs. Too bad they only did Blue Letter once, and/or didn't try Oh Diane, Can't Go Back or Mystified.

I actually think Can't Go Back and Family Man would've been good for Neil, instead of Crowded House and Split Enz stuff in the set.
Neil can definitely sing pop with the best of them.

However, there was zero chance DDIO wasn’t getting played. Part of the reason they brought on Neil and Mike is because they have legendary careers and have made legendary music. DDIO is Neil Finn’s biggest hit, and it’s one of the most recognizable hits of the ‘80s. They wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of getting him if he didn’t have anything to bring to the table in terms of publicity.

UnwindedDreams 08-26-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1259652)
However, there was zero chance DDIO wasn’t getting played. Part of the reason they brought on Neil and Mike is because they have legendary careers and have made legendary music. DDIO is Neil Finn’s biggest hit, and it’s one of the most recognizable hits of the ‘80s. They wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of getting him if he didn’t have anything to bring to the table in terms of publicity.

Isn't DDIO a calling card for Neil though? That's Mick's language: calling card
To me it's like if they asked Marky Mark to join FM, there would've been zero chance "Good Vibrations" wouldn't have been played.

So part of the reason they brought on Neil and Mike was to play music that Neil and Mike made outside of FM and not to make a new FM song or songs to play live?

SteveMacD 08-26-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1259653)
Isn't DDIO a calling card for Neil though?That's Mick's language: calling card
To me it's like if they asked Marky Mark to join FM, there would've been zero chance "Good Vibrations" wouldn't have been played.

Probably. Although his style is pretty far removed from any relevant to Fleetwood Mac. Compare “Something So Strong” to “Remember Me” (especially the Roxy version).

Quote:

So part of the reason they brought on Neil and Mike was to play music that Neil and Mike made outside of FM and not to make a new FM song or songs to play live?
To a degree. That’s a narrow reading of it. Neil and Mike have big enough names that they were able to make up any attrition at the ticket counter due to the split with Lindsey. To put it another way, would Billy and Rick have been able to bring something comparable to Petty Nation?

HomerMcvie 08-26-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1259651)
Do you like goat cheese or milk? I do.

LBCM did better than 24KG and IYD in the United Kingdom. Stevie did press in London for IYD, but not 24. Chris did press for LBCM in June of 2017.

Indeed, I do.

I just have no interest in comparing numbers. If I love something, I don't care if I'm the ONLY person who buys it, and gets it. I care about my artist being financially successful, but beyond that, if I'm the only one who "gets it", I'm good with that. $tevie fans have always loved to push her numbers. I couldn't give a f*ck about numbers. It's about music that I personally enjoy.

mitzo 08-26-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1259663)
Indeed, I do.

I just have no interest in comparing numbers. If I love something, I don't care if I'm the ONLY person who buys it, and gets it. I care about my artist being financially successful, but beyond that, if I'm the only one who "gets it", I'm good with that. $tevie fans have always loved to push her numbers. I couldn't give a f*ck about numbers. It's about music that I personally enjoy.

I like what I like too. That is why I stick by Stevie and her work on spite of everything. BTW Stevie's 24KG tour sure eclipsed the Lindsey and Christine tour. Sold out arenas all over!!

SteveMacD 08-26-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1259663)
$tevie fans have always loved to push her numbers.

OTOH, £ind$€¥ fans want to give him full credit for their superstardom. That’s when the numbers come into play. I also don’t especially care, but then I’ve never credited any single member for their superstardom. Truth be told, Stevie is probably eighth on my of Fleetwood Mac members (if I counted Neil and Mike on that list, which I don’t, since they haven’t done anything significant with them, yet, she’d be 10).

HomerMcvie 08-26-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1259665)
That is why I stick by Stevie and her work on spite of everything.

BTW Stevie's 24KG tour sure eclipsed the Lindsey and Christine tour. Sold out arenas all over!!

In spite of everything? Boy, that sure sounds like a pass for crappy workmanship!

See? Wtf? A numbers pusher at their finest! Congrats. You have MASS BLIND TASTE. I'm certain your mother is proud.

I was (made my way to) front row for BuckVie. It was a true highlight of my lifetime of FM adulation. If I'd been the only one there, I would have felt sorry for them, but still couldn't have been any happier.

Btw, I think $tevie just farted. You'd better go try and find it on record!

mitzo 08-27-2020 07:25 AM

Lindsey's anger about numbers is what got him kicked out of the band. Anger is a very ugly thing.

BigAl84 08-27-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

However, comparing 1979-90 to 2018 is pretty disingenuous. Fleetwood Mac was a current, active band touring in support of multi-platinum albums. They’ve largely been an oldies band since 1994.
LOL...OF COURSE, you give Christine a pass. You also thought Stevie "delivered" with her version of black magic train wreck...

It's funny how you've been a fan for what, over 20+ years? yet your bar for them impressing you has sunk to the floor.

BigAl84 08-27-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1259667)
OTOH, £ind$€¥ fans want to give him full credit for their superstardom. That’s when the numbers come into play. I also don’t especially care, but then I’ve never credited any single member for their superstardom. Truth be told, Stevie is probably eighth on my of Fleetwood Mac members (if I counted Neil and Mike on that list, which I don’t, since they haven’t done anything significant with them, yet, she’d be 10).

Oh but your endless defense of Stevie, Christine, and Mick doesnt imply anything.

https://media.giphy.com/media/wzxK9cmYgIPDy/giphy.gif

BigAl84 08-27-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1259665)
I like what I like too. That is why I stick by Stevie and her work on spite of everything. BTW Stevie's 24KG tour sure eclipsed the Lindsey and Christine tour. Sold out arenas all over!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/455cAb...yA3O/giphy.gif

HomerMcvie 08-27-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1259670)
Anger is a very ugly thing.

Mirrors can be as well. Use extreme caution when you're near one.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved