The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Best Female Songwriters: An Essential Top 25 Countdown (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59908)

dougl 03-29-2023 08:51 AM

Best Female Songwriters: An Essential Top 25 Countdown

Interesting list

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stori...e-songwriters/

Rock on Christine

HomerMcvie 03-29-2023 10:19 AM

Good job, Christine.

Thank god the old goat didn't make the list.

jbrownsjr 03-29-2023 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1283712)
Good job, Christine.

Thank god the old goat didn't make the list.

She doesn't really write it herself.

Macfan4life 03-29-2023 12:48 PM

Glad Christine is on the list but this list is rubbish. How in the world could Madonna be considered one of the top female songwriters. Even in this glowing piece, the best they could say is that Madonna "co-wrote" a few of her hits.
Oh goodie.

Pure rubbish

nicepace 03-30-2023 04:51 PM

I love the fact that they give a nod to Christine's songs from the Bare Trees album. I've long thought that Homeward Bound is criminally underrated even by Christine fans, and of course Spare Me a Little is simply a perfect song.

jbrownsjr 03-30-2023 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 1283741)
I love the fact that they give a nod to Christine's songs from the Bare Trees album. I've long thought that Homeward Bound is criminally underrated even by Christine fans, and of course Spare Me a Little is simply a perfect song.

Yes, her two songs on that album are so good.

SteveMacD 03-30-2023 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1283742)
Yes, her two songs on that album are so good.

Same is true of FG.

Her early work holds its own with anything she’s ever done.

jbrownsjr 03-31-2023 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1283744)
Same is true of FG.

Her early work holds its own with anything she’s ever done.

And then her Penguin tracks are fantastic as well. I've been diving back into these.

Ulpian 03-31-2023 09:48 AM

For me, it’s “Why”. That song breaks the heart over and over again. Easily at (or near) the top of the list of the greatest songs she ever wrote.

Macfan4life 03-31-2023 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulpian (Post 1283747)
For me, it’s “Why”. That song breaks the heart over and over again. Easily at (or near) the top of the list of the greatest songs she ever wrote.

A-men. Without a doubt. Its a musical masterpiece which goes with the lyrics perfectly. If there ever is a perfect song its this. The music sort of echoes back and fits the mood of the song. It definitely is a heartbreaking song.
I was just watching her live album segment and she was commenting how people accused her of writing heartbreaking songs. She said she was puzzled by that criticism/stereotype because most of her songs are upbeat love songs but she was surprised she got tagged with the heartbreak stuff.

jmn3 03-31-2023 10:52 AM

I HATE that not only the rest of the band but Christine herself simply ignored almost all of her pre-1975 work for 40+ years. It is truly criminal and a total shame. She had some amazing songs before the white album and most have been forgotten to history.

Macfan4life 04-03-2023 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1283749)
I HATE that not only the rest of the band but Christine herself simply ignored almost all of her pre-1975 work for 40+ years. It is truly criminal and a total shame. She had some amazing songs before the white album and most have been forgotten to history.

True. I also dont like how a few times she discarded her solo career. I think she was joking when she made fun or spoke ill of her solo records. I just wish Lindsey put a gun to her head and made her do one of her solo songs on the Buck/Vie tour. Even if it was Got A Hold On Me, at least it was an acknowledgement of her solo career. It was the perfect time to do it outside of Fleetwood Mac.

Mr Scarrott 04-03-2023 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulpian (Post 1283747)

I'm with you on that. "The way I feel" from MTM seems to get overlooked, though. It's possible to hear something of the genesis of "Songbird" there, don't you think?

jbrownsjr 04-04-2023 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1283782)
I'm with you on that. "The way I feel" from MTM seems to get overlooked, though. It's possible to hear something of the genesis of "Songbird" there, don't you think?

I love how she wrote for projects and didn't just write to write or compose. She always help build the concept and enhance what was being accomplished.