The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dreams: The Greatest 2 Chord Song of All Time? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59472)

FuzzyPlum 01-30-2022 10:27 AM

Dreams: The Greatest 2 Chord Song of All Time?

I love a bit of Rick Beato...great channel!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpqAz0ZNQaY

Anyway, he picks out Dreams as one of the 3 greatest 2-chord songs of all time, along with Horse With No Name (America) and Something In The Way (Nirvana).

Stripped back like this you can appreciate just how simple it really is.

Macfan4life 01-30-2022 01:01 PM

Horse with no name is incredible

SteveMacD 01-30-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272462)
Horse with no name is incredible

“Feeling Alright” wasn’t in the top three?

aleuzzi 02-05-2022 12:51 AM

Other great FM two-chord songs: Over My Head, Hold Me, Coming Your Way, Why, and Bad Loser.

There are others, but these come to mind. Why and Hold Me are especially impressive because their arrangements are so full and sophisticated that you don’t notice how basic (yet sound) their respective song structures really are.

HomerMcvie 02-05-2022 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1272563)
Other great FM two-chord songs: Over My Head, Hold Me, Coming Your Way, Why, and Bad Loser.

There are others, but these come to mind. Why and Hold Me are especially impressive because their arrangements are so full and sophisticated that you don’t notice how basic (yet sound) their respective song structures really are.

With all due respect, :xoxo: , OMH and Why are 4 and 3 chord songs(and that's if you don't count the Why guitar intro- it's more if you do). When I was a kid, I used to confuse a minor II for a IV. And Hold Me verses are Am G D, with the choruses running G Am G/B C D.

aleuzzi 02-05-2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272565)
With all due respect, :xoxo: , OMH and Why are 3 chord songs(and that's if you don't count the Why guitar intro- it's more if you do). When I was a kid, I used to confuse a minor II for a IV. And Hold Me verses are Am G D, with the choruses running G Am G/B C D.

Of course, you’re right (and no disrespect was assumed).

Even Dreams has more than 2 chords if you count all the clever little changes (or variations on the F/G movements with F7 and G6). Still, I’ve played OMH and Why and they’re essentially two chords—with one or two key switches in each (no I don’t count the intro to Why). Forgot about all the chords in Hold Me! Anyway, it was in that spirit that I listed these other songs.

HomerMcvie 02-05-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1272566)
Of course, you’re right (and no disrespect was assumed).

Even Dreams has more than 2 chords if you count all the clever little changes (or variations on the F/G movements with F7 and G6). Still, I’ve played OMH and Why and they’re essentially two chords—with one or two key switches in each (no I don’t count the intro to Why). Forgot about all the chords in Hold Me! Anyway, it was in that spirit that I listed these other songs.

I almost pointed out Dreams, too. Somewhere....I have a FM Anthology book(White, Rumours, and Tusk- if I remember correctly- I've not seen it for years) that shows Dreams with Am and Fmaj7(again, if I remember correctly), even though they sound almost the same.

aleuzzi 02-06-2022 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272568)
I almost pointed out Dreams, too. Somewhere....I have a FM Anthology book(White, Rumours, and Tusk- if I remember correctly- I've not seen it for years) that shows Dreams with Am and Fmaj7(again, if I remember correctly), even though they sound almost the same.

I just dug that book out of a pile and don’t see Am anywhere in a single chord, but there are times when her voice is hitting a notes nowhere on the two chords. And then, at the very end, there’s a “b” tacked onto the chord.

I looked at OMH, too. That song is suspended in D and D/G so much that when the brief but critical Em and A are sounded respectively it’s like the heavens have opened—or something.

HomerMcvie 02-06-2022 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1272570)
I just dug that book out of a pile and don’t see Am anywhere in a single chord, but there are times when her voice is hitting a notes nowhere on the two chords. And then, at the very end, there’s a “b” tacked onto the chord.

I looked at OMH, too. That song is suspended in D and D/G so much that when the brief but critical Em and A are sounded respectively it’s like the heavens have opened—or something.

Well again, I was going from memory, and it ain't what it used to be. Yet I remember when $tevie was the most likeable member of the band. :wavey::woohoo:

bombaysaffires 02-06-2022 03:10 AM

Saw this a few days ago... and was struck how NO ONE can really sing lead on this song but Stevie. She brought a magic to it with the fluidity of her voice (back in the 70s when it would go wherever she wanted it to, from low to high from raspy to beautifully clear). Other people just need to not sing it, because they suck at it (even if they're objectively good singers).

What he's playing on the guitar is what is clearly played on keys in live performances. You can really hear it in Benmont's playing on the Bella Donna concert audio.

The Rumours production is still absolutely f&*&ing SUBLIME and I will love it til the day I die.

aleuzzi 02-06-2022 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272571)
Well again, I was going from memory, and it ain't what it used to be. Yet I remember when $tevie was the most likeable member of the band. :wavey::woohoo:

She formed a pact. She was a nun on the road. She always gave the band first pick of her songs. She never broke up Fleetwood Mac.

aleuzzi 02-06-2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1272572)
Saw this a few days ago... and was struck how NO ONE can really sing lead on this song but Stevie. She brought a magic to it with the fluidity of her voice (back in the 70s when it would go wherever she wanted it to, from low to high from raspy to beautifully clear). Other people just need to not sing it, because they suck at it (even if they're objectively good singers).

What he's playing on the guitar is what is clearly played on keys in live performances. You can really hear it in Benmont's playing on the Bella Donna concert audio.

The Rumours production is still absolutely f&*&ing SUBLIME and I will love it til the day I die.

It is true: the song only works when Stevie is singing it. The covers — even when sung by very good singers — sound generic and professional as opposed to intense and persuasive.

jbrownsjr 02-07-2022 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1272577)
It is true: the song only works when Stevie is singing it. The covers — even when sung by very good singers — sound generic and professional as opposed to intense and persuasive.

It's really true of all 3 of them. So hard to re-create what they do.

aleuzzi 02-07-2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272611)
It's really true of all 3 of them. So hard to re-create what they do.

Even those who say Eva Cassidy (sp?) sang a better “Songbird” are just plain wrong.

Ari Hest’s “Little Lies” is pretty damn cool—and it comes closest to a Rumours-era FM cover sounding authentic.

jbrownsjr 02-08-2022 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1272618)
Even those who say Eva Cassidy (sp?) sang a better “Songbird” are just plain wrong.

Ari Hest’s “Little Lies” is pretty damn cool—and it comes closest to a Rumours-era FM cover sounding authentic.

Eva's is pretty at best. Christine's is authentic and full of pain.