The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Honey Hi or Love In Store (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59374)

Macfan4life 10-14-2021 02:31 PM

Honey Hi or Love In Store

Ok if you had to pick one which would it be. Both are fairly basic and simple love songs with minimal verses. Each have incredible harmonies and both written by Chris. Yet even though they are simple, they convey true, mad, and deep love the way only Chris can do. Seriously, I blush when I listen.
Which is the better song and why? I will hold my opinion till the end because at the end of the day, its the only one that truly matters. :laugh:

What is your vote and why....

HomerMcvie 10-14-2021 03:09 PM

Love In Store.

Had you put it against Never Forget I would have had a more difficult time deciding.

Prove me wrong. My opinion is the only one that matters.:wavey:

Villavic 10-14-2021 05:09 PM

Love in Store.

jbrownsjr 10-14-2021 07:22 PM

Honey Hi

This track is one of those moments when the three of them create such a beautiful blend of Fleetwood Mac perfection. I love the arrangement. It's not as easy to sing as it sounds. You have to time the voices well. Further, I think it fits into Lindsey's off kilter kind of mish mash he wanted for this album. Stevie's voice adds so much to this song.

Listen closely to the delicacy of the keys, drums and guitar. McBuckVie all the way!

....daddy all I"m tryin to tell ya...

On Ice 10-14-2021 08:22 PM

Honey Hi by a country mile. I also like in its piano ditty form on the deluxe collection. The best blend of the 3 voices on Tusk especially showcases Stevie's incredible harmony singing, her biggest strength as a vocalist. I especially love the fade in of Honey Hi, like the opposite of a fade out and then it just takes you in as soon as Christine calls out for Honey. I do really like Love in Store but the wow wowa kind of grates on me a bit so I choose Honey Hi, I love everything about the song.

aleuzzi 10-14-2021 11:28 PM

Love them both immensely, but—

Honey Hi, for the purity of her alto and the brilliant choral sections. It’s just such a beautiful, simple song that only Christine could pull off.

blinker12 10-15-2021 05:38 AM

Honey Hi! The outro!

vivfox 10-15-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On Ice (Post 1270197)
Honey Hi by a country mile. I also like in its piano ditty form on the deluxe collection. The best blend of the 3 voices on Tusk especially showcases Stevie's incredible harmony singing, her biggest strength as a vocalist. I especially love the fade in of Honey Hi, like the opposite of a fade out and then it just takes you in as soon as Christine calls out for Honey. I do really like Love in Store but the wow wowa kind of grates on me a bit so I choose Honey Hi, I love everything about the song.

Agree 100%. I have loved Honey Hi from the minute I heard it on this day(October 15) in 1979 and truly has stood the test of time for me.

jbrownsjr 10-16-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1270207)
Agree 100%. I have loved Honey Hi from the minute I heard it on this day(October 15) in 1979 and truly has stood the test of time for me.

Wow, I didn't realize it was the anniversary. I love this song, and ALBUM the more time goes on.

Macfan4life 10-16-2021 01:49 PM

****drum roll*****

The correct answer is: Love In Store

I don't hate Honey Hi. In fact even though the songs are different musically, the lyrics and short verses make them similar. Honey Hi always seemed unfinished to me almost a demo which is part of its attraction. Its anything but commercial which is its attraction. Both could be Halmark cards with their lyrics. Honey Hi is the perfect example of Christine getting "Tusked." This song would never have appeared like this on any earlier Fleetwood Mac album. It is unique and fits with the quirkiness of Tusk. But the song starts out great but it just does not land and is missing something to make it complete. Love in Store is a complete song.
Why Love In Store is better:
Listen how the song begins........bum bum bum ......bum bum bum. This catchy keyboard riff is quite basic but then the drums kick in in rather a fast yet steady tempo. Lindsey plays along to the keyboard riff then Christine starts with her halmark card opening "All I know is the way that I feel, whenever you're around, you've got a way of lifting me up, instead of brining me down" then Lindsey and Stevie echo Christine's words then its "We've got love in Store" Then the fabulous doo waps start which is something that is not heard ever on any Fleetwood Mac song. Its almost 50's doo wapping. All singers merge together for harmony on the chorus. What Love in Store and Honey Hi have in common is the song is dominated by the chorus and we get a tremendous chorus. Love in Store is pure pop greatness taken from a simple bum bum bum beginning. I think Mick's beat really took the song to levels. If it was slower, it would not have the same impact. What a perfect song as an album opener. I think if this song was the first single with a video, it would have landed in the top 10. Gypsy and Hold Me are the gem singles that would have carried their own weight if they were released after. Love in Store really shines live and is a song I always thought would be a fantastic encore since its up-tempo, short and features all the singers.

bwboy 10-17-2021 11:38 AM

Macfan4life gave a lot of the reasons I prefer Love in Store over Honey Hi- those do-wop harmonies with Lindsey and Stevie sound like they could have been on the white album or Rumours. I think just about any FM song automatically sounds better when all 3 voices are present, and Love in Store has this quality in spades. Plus it’s just so darn upbeat and joyous, even though the lyrics suggest pessimism or doubt, which is another quality I love. Love in Store always reminds me of Think About Me.

bombaysaffires 10-19-2021 12:08 AM

Love In Store sounds unfinished. It's like there were supposed to be additional Lindsey magical touches and they never got included. There's just these weird gaps of nothingness. One of her only songs that just dronesssss along. Mick's playing is totally uninspired and John sounds like he "just fell off the stage"

Honey Hi for the fab harmonies of the 3.

DownOnRodeo 10-19-2021 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1270254)
Love In Store sounds unfinished. It's like there were supposed to be additional Lindsey magical touches and they never got included. There's just these weird gaps of nothingness. One of her only songs that just dronesssss along. Mick's playing is totally uninspired and John sounds like he "just fell off the stage"

I agree with all of this about Love In Store, except I think it somehow works okay in Mirage as a whole, especially as the opening track, both musically (establishing the Law & Order/retro sound of the album) and lyrically (keep listening--we've got lots of cool songs in store).

Christine's voice is like golden honey on Honey Hi--my only gripe (other than the slightly drunk-dial lyrics) is that it's too short and it stops just as they get into the swing of it with the amazing harmonies. I wish they had dropped the Songbird rip-off Never Make Me Cry and taken Honey Hi to the next level, making a real "finished" track out of it. But hey it fits in within the context of Lindsey's two minute tracks.

bwboy 10-19-2021 05:42 AM

Quote:

Wow, I definitely agree that Love in Store almost sounds unfinished, or even that something might be finished. Interesting that you and Downonrodeo also mentioned that. But that minimalism is also one of the reasons I prefer Love in Store over Honey Hi.

jbrownsjr 10-19-2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

I completely agree. And I think both songs are terse in lyrics and minimal as far as production. But, Love In Store seems unfinished, and Honey Hi sounds like a tiny little masterpiece of beautiful harmony.

SteveMacD 10-20-2021 10:01 PM

Honey Hi.

By far.

michelej1 10-23-2021 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270262)
I completely agree. And I think both songs are terse in lyrics and minimal as far as production. But, Love In Store seems unfinished, and Honey Hi sounds like a tiny little masterpiece of beautiful harmony.

Fell off the stage. Now that was the genius of Stevie. She really was funny.

bombaysaffires 10-23-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1270353)
Fell off the stage. Now that was the genius of Stevie. She really was funny.

I wanna be a STAR..I don't wanna be a cleaning lady.

aleuzzi 10-23-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1270258)
I wish they had dropped the Songbird rip-off Never Make Me Cry and taken Honey Hi to the next level, making a real "finished" track out of it. But hey it fits in within the context of Lindsey's two minute tracks.

I would have loved “Honey Hi” to have been a bit more extended, but also love its brevity, its exquisite smallness like the hand-crafted furniture one might place in a tiny palace with tiny people.

The TUSK deluxe edition features an early version of “Never Make Me Cry” that blows me away—a warm, full arrangement with the arp string ensemble, piano, and more of an assertive vocal. It sounds like a track from a Beach Boys record. Why they dropped this in favor of the spare low-fi version of the official record probably has to do with honoring the minimal, sometimes primitive sound Lindsey opts for on most of the songs. Although most ledgies love the album version of “Think About Me,” an earlier version with just (a sassier) Christine singing, an upfront organ, and mixed-down crunch guitar has my heart. Again, I think the album version was chosen because it aligns more with Lindsey’s musical vision and sits more easily with his songs.