The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lindsey Rejoining Earlier / "Big Love" Players (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59854)

cbBen 01-29-2023 12:26 PM

Lindsey Rejoining Earlier / "Big Love" Players

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1156803)
Billy quit in February, 1993. My new "What If" is what if Christine told Mick to wait nine months before adding any new blood. By then, Lindsey's solo tour would have been over. Based on some of the things he's said, Lindsey seemed pretty dejected about the experience. In truth, he worked his ass off trying to sell his masterpiece to no avail, and probably lost a lot of money on the tour. Worst still was that he wasn't able to really establish himself as a viable entity outside of Fleetwood Mac. The liberating feeling of being free from the band seemed to give way to the reality of being responsible for every detail of the live show.

I think if they had played their cards right, they could have gotten Lindsey back in late 1993. Christine would have had to be the on to initiate contact with him and they would have had to have a clearing of the air moment, but I think that could have happened, and they could have made an album as a quartet. And, Lindsey would have had enough material to front the live shows by himself .

I think he would have first needed to go through the experience of having his 1995 album rejected. Remember he went straight from the tour to the recording of his next album.

P.S. Do Mick and John play the bass and drums on "Big Love" from Tango? And does Christine play on it?

WalkAThinLine. 01-29-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1282206)
I think he would have first needed to go through the experience of having his 1995 album rejected. Remember he went straight from the tour to the recording of his next album.

P.S. Do Mick and John play the bass and drums on "Big Love" from Tango? And does Christine play on it?

Correct, Buckingham went to Hawaii with his Out of the Cradle touring band for a couple of weeks to record new music. This quote is from Janet Robin

"This was one of the most memorable times of my career. LB rented out the bar lounge at the hotel in Maui for 2 1/2 weeks and had recording consoles and all kinds of gear flown in. We had just finished touring, opening for Tina Turner, and we all felt like such a wonderful musical family he wanted to experiment writing and recording songs together. Some of those experiments ended up re-recorded on the next FM record... Amazing experience to say the least, snorkeling by morning, recording by day, eating and drinking by night. Yes, dream gig indeed!"

As to your second question, Buckingham said during his 1987 interview with Larry Katz that both "Family Man" and "Big Love" were nearly complete by the time Fleetwood Mac entered the recording studio. While Buckingham mentioned that the band "sweetened up" Family Man, he seemed to imply that "Big Love" was largely left unchanged from the version that would have appeared on his third solo album.

aleuzzi 01-31-2023 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. (Post 1282215)

As to your second question, Buckingham said during his 1987 interview with Larry Katz that both "Family Man" and "Big Love" were nearly complete by the time Fleetwood Mac entered the recording studio. While Buckingham mentioned that the band "sweetened up" Family Man, he seemed to imply that "Big Love" was largely left unchanged from the version that would have appeared on his third solo album.

I agree that “Big Love” is very likely a 100% solo song passing as a Mac cut (and the opener, at that!).

I wonder to what extent any of the other band members contributed to “Family Man.” The drums sound processed and the bass is not especially interesting like most of John’s bass work.

David 02-01-2023 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1282307)
I agree that “Big Love” is very likely a 100% solo song passing as a Mac cut (and the opener, at that!).

Sounds like Mick to me. It even uses the “Stand Back” live fill from Stevie’s mid-80s tour that Mick trouped around on. What’s a little surprising is that, when FM started playing the song in 1987, Mick used a totally different drum part.

There’s also phat DX-7 pads on “Big Love,” but that could be anyone doing that, keyboardist or not.

aleuzzi 02-01-2023 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1282356)
Sounds like Mick to me. It even uses the “Stand Back” live fill from Stevie’s mid-80s tour that Mick trouped around on. What’s a little surprising is that, when FM started playing the song in 1987, Mick used a totally different drum part.

There’s also phat DX-7 pads on “Big Love,” but that could be anyone doing that, keyboardist or not.

You would know more than me. The drums do have a little Mick-like flair but I always assumed that Lindsey programming a machine to sound like him.

jbrownsjr 02-02-2023 08:16 AM

I feel like Big Love does have some Fleetwood Mac in it. The whole album has programming and them. I hear Mick in the drums on Big Love. There's some beautiful clumsiness.