The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fleetwood mac skateboarder says stevie nicks crushed my 'dreams' ... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59195)

Jondalar 03-19-2021 01:51 PM

Fleetwood mac skateboarder says stevie nicks crushed my 'dreams' ...

FLEETWOOD MAC SKATEBOARDER
STEVIE NICKS CRUSHED MY 'DREAMS' ...
Blocked Song from NFT!!!

Nathan Apodaca has some dreams he'd like to sell, but Stevie Nicks just won't let it happen ... so says the skateboarder who went viral for vibing to her hit song.

A rep for Nathan, AKA Doggface, tells TMZ ... Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" is part of the Warner Music Group catalog, so they reached out to see if they could include the track on the famous 23-second TikTok clip of Nathan skateboarding to it while sipping on cranberry juice ... which he wants to sell as a non-fungible token (NFT).

We're told Doggface's team offered Stevie -- who wrote the song -- 50 percent from the sale ... but she shot it down.

Nathan's rep says he feels slighted because Stevie never acknowledged him after his "Dreams" video went viral -- unlike some other members of Fleetwood Mac did -- even though it helped give her song a major boost.

We're told, Doggface thinks her rejection of his NFT offer shows she wants nothing to do with him or his video.

We broke the story ... Nathan's still going ahead with selling the NFT of his original video, but it will be without the music since they couldn't secure the rights.

The NFT will now go up for sale March 27 with opening bids set at a whopping $500,000, so Stevie might regret her decision ... IF someone buys it for that much.

We reached out to Stevie's team ... no word back.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/19/stevi...teboarder-nft/

rubylounge 03-19-2021 06:32 PM

It is interesting that Stevie posted his video on her social media but never told Doggface directly that she appreciates what he did for her song...kinda rude. :shrug:

UnwindedDreams 03-19-2021 06:45 PM

^That's her white privilege. She even did her own TikTok... like she would've done a TikTok with a bottle of Ocean Spray if Nathan had never done it:rolleyes:

Jondalar 03-19-2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1265591)
^That's her white privilege. She even did her own TikTok... like she would've done a TikTok with a bottle of Ocean Spray if Nathan had never done it:rolleyes:

White privilege doesn't exist unless you've joined a Jim Jones cult. Stevie is an entitled brat.

vivfox 03-19-2021 10:45 PM

According to Google:
Non-fungible token
A non-fungible token is a unit of data on a digital ledger called a blockchain, where each NFT can represent a unique digital item, and thus they are not interchangeable. NFTs can represent digital files such as art, audio, video, and other forms of creative work.

Even after this explanation I still don't understand what Nathan was planning on selling, using Dreams. But it does make sense to me that Stevie would only want that song available on Fleetwood Mac reissues and not any type of Hits packages featuring multiple artists.

BombaySapphire3 03-19-2021 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1265599)
White privilege doesn't exist unless you've joined a Jim Jones cult. Stevie is an entitled brat.

Speaking of cults that one surrounding an orange hued con man is pretty twisted too.

michelej1 03-19-2021 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1265601)
According to Google:
Non-fungible token
A non-fungible token is a unit of data on a digital ledger called a blockchain, where each NFT can represent a unique digital item, and thus they are not interchangeable. NFTs can represent digital files such as art, audio, video, and other forms of creative work.

Even after this explanation I still don't understand what Nathan was planning on selling, using Dreams. But it does make sense to me that Stevie would only want that song available on Fleetwood Mac reissues and not any type of Hits packages featuring multiple artists.

I agree with you in not understanding. I don’t know if the TickTock platform has its own valuation system. Maybe you can pay for things there using NFT Which can then be converted to money, like bitcoins can be. I don’t understand. Technology has passed me by. I am no longer in the generation who explains things to people. I find some young person and have them explain it to ME. Yeah, my mom still calls and asks me how to access things on her computer. but she’s 83. She is the only one I can help.

Yes, I do not blame Stevie’s people for ignoring this guy. He has helped both her and Fleetwood Mac. But he has already benefited and he is not an artist or creator who deserves to continue profiting from her song, imho.

Macfan4life 03-20-2021 05:52 AM

This guy is dreaming if he thinks someone is going to buy his video of him poorly lip syncing a song that is not even included in the video for $500,000.

This guy has already profited greatly off this song. Instead of finding new ways to be creative and make money, he continues to try and milk this Dreams video. It shows his 15 minutes of fame is drying up and no new offers are coming his way.

Stevie may not have called him but isn't her video a sort of tribute to what he did? I am with Michelle that I dont understand TickTock and NFT. But I also agree he has already benefited and does not deserve to keep profiting from her song. We may never know how much he has profited. But he deserves a T shirt that says "I got countless endorsement offers, someone bought me a $35,000 SUV, and I got famous yet Stevie Nicks is crushing my dreams for even more money."
Sorry, I don't see him as a victim of Stevie Nicks the way the OP does. Victimhood is sold every 15 seconds today.

The biggest irk for me is running to TMZ to shame Stevie. Dude....please list the amount of money and assets you have gotten because of this clip. I remember when this broke a few months ago and people wanted Stevie to give him sale royalties of Dreams. Could you imagine the precedent that would create? You had fun. You made money. You got famous. No one owes you anything Sir.

goyourownway 03-20-2021 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1265591)

Help me understand how this is white privilege? Unlike Jondolar or whatever their name is, I know this is a thing. But I am unsure how it applies in this instance.

UnwindedDreams 03-20-2021 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goyourownway (Post 1265608)
Help me understand how this is white privilege? Unlike Jondolar or whatever their name is, I know this is a thing. But I am unsure how it applies in this instance.

It's real and a problem, not merely "a thing".

I'll help you.
Nathan is BIPOC. Stevie is a multimillionaire. With the release of Show Them the Way, she has said we must be kind to one another.
She praised the TikTok sensation. Made her own video which was all about her. She could've said in the video "Hi Nathan, thank you for sharing my song" like she thanked American Horror Story for 120 nights from 2014-2015.

Nathan was responsible for Dreams and Rumours topping the charts again. Nathan is working a very hard job and is "an everyday folk". He offered Stevie 50% of the NFT, he didn't ask for a giveaway.

What's the loss to Stevie here? She, a white millionaire who watches movies on a theater screen in her lavish Santa Monica condo and takes a private jet to Maui during a pandemic, could have permitted this deal with Nathan and supported a BIPOC so that he could buy his parents a house and build a community center in his town!

Thus, she's reneges on her message of Show Them the Way.

bombaysaffires 03-20-2021 12:12 PM

I don't disagree at all about white privilege, but it doesn't apply here.

Stevie, brat or not, (and I find her to get brattier with every passing year) created the song. He used it without her permission, and got his 15 minutes of fame and a certain amount of financial gain from it.

He now wants to continue owning a piece of *her* work. He proposed selling the combined video (his video, her audio). She turned him down. This is well within her rights, whether she has a million dollars in the bank, a billion or 100. She wrote it, she owns it, and she doesn't want to partner with him. He needs to move on. She doesn't OWE him anything. He has already profited to some extent from using her work, and she let him (I don't know if she could have stopped him or if his video comes under fair use/fair dealings). Stevie happens to be white, but this same scenario could play out with any artist of color as well (say, Rihanna or CardiB or whomever) who could turn down someone using their song. It's about artists retaining control over their work.

He wants more fame, go write your own song.

HomerMcvie 03-20-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1265612)
I don't disagree at all about white privilege, but it doesn't apply here.

Stevie, brat or not, (and I find her to get brattier with every passing year) created the song. He used it without her permission, and got his 15 minutes of fame and a certain amount of financial gain from it.

He now wants to continue owning a piece of *her* work. He proposed selling the combined video (his video, her audio). She turned him down. This is well within her rights, whether she has a million dollars in the bank, a billion or 100. She wrote it, she owns it, and she doesn't want to partner with him. He needs to move on. She doesn't OWE him anything. He has already profited to some extent from using her work, and she let him (I don't know if she could have stopped him or if his video comes under fair use/fair dealings). Stevie happens to be white, but this same scenario could play out with any artist of color as well (say, Rihanna or CardiB or whomever) who could turn down someone using their song. It's about artists retaining control over their work.

He wants more fame, go write your own song.

Spot on.

She doesn't owe him anything. He profited from her enough, and he should be happy for that. Instead, he wants more(somebody should check, he may be related to Mick).

Write your own damned song, and quit milking other people's good fortune.

UnwindedDreams 03-20-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1265612)
He used it without her permission, and got his 15 minutes of fame and a certain amount of financial gain from it.

How does Nathan or how do I acquire Stevie's permission to play "Dreams" in a TikTok video or a YouTube video?

When I have a 40th birthday party at Bob Evans, and I dance with my boyfriend to "Just Dance" there and post it on Youtube... do I need to obtain permission from Lady Gaga before I post?

michelej1 03-20-2021 02:59 PM

Tiktok has already legally acquired a library of music. You can use a song in that library on the tiktok platform without having to pay or get permission. Tiktok already has their permission. If you created a song about candy, search the library and find a song with the word candy that suits you.

It’s like healthcare, you can’t go out of your plan without incurring charges, but you can use healthcare providers in the plan.

bombaysaffires 03-20-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1265614)
How does Nathan or how do I acquire Stevie's permission to play "Dreams" in a TikTok video or a YouTube video?

When I have a 40th birthday party at Bob Evans, and I dance with my boyfriend to "Just Dance" there and post it on Youtube... do I need to obtain permission from Lady Gaga before I post?

you are not SELLING it and asking people to PAY for it on youtube.

If you created a video that you were wanting to put up for sale of you doing anything to Gaga's song, you bet your butt you'd have to get permission. She owns the copyright.

It's the same when a tv show or movie wants to use a song in a movie/show they create and then sell to a network or charge admission to see. You can't profit off of someone else's intellectual property just because you think they've made enough from it already.