The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Over My Head" appreciation thread... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=24995)

Brwn_eyes0511 01-18-2006 08:55 AM

"Over My Head" appreciation thread...

I was going through www.allmusic.com and reading some of their individual song reviews, and this is what they had to say about "Over My Head"...

Quote:

The first in an incredible series of huge hits for the newly California-based Fleetwood Mac, "Over My Head" is another great example of Christine McVie's restrained craftsmanship. Always an excellent musical chameleon, McVie easily absorbed the cool, artless pop style of '70s Southern California, and with this song, she does it without compromising her English pop roots. A beautiful, almost jazzy melody is surrounded by a series of almost Burt Bacharach-inspired chord changes, and this is lifted to even greater heights by the rhythm section of John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. The lyrics are a simple but eloquent reflection of being lost in love, and McVie captures it all in her simple and literate style.

-----by Matthew Greenwald
I thought this was such a wonderful description of this breezy, fun song that IMO is one of Chris' best!

Let's hear the love for OMH...;)

Gailh 01-18-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
I was going through www.allmusic.com and reading some of their individual song reviews, and this is what they had to say about "Over My Head"...

I thought this was such a wonderful description of this breezy, fun song that IMO is one of Chris' best!

Let's hear the love for OMH...;)

I couldn't have put it better myself!

Gail

macfan 57 01-18-2006 11:04 AM

That's a great review of a great song. "Over My Head" was my introduction to Christine McVie & eventually to Fleetwood Mac as well. That's the first time I ever heard her voice on the radio & the first time I knew that she even existed.:cool:

golden braid 01-18-2006 11:22 AM

I love OMH. The harmonies are great and I especially love the live versions from the Rumours days.

HomerMcvie 01-18-2006 01:49 PM

The rockin' version on Live kicks ass!:]

chiliD 01-18-2006 01:56 PM

The song that started the "explosion of fame".

strandinthewind 01-18-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
The song that started the "explosion of fame".

It did - or at least a newer era of it than before. I often wonder what Green or Welch could have done to the song with their guitars.

Brwn_eyes0511 01-18-2006 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie

Yes it does!!!!

"AUUUUUUUOKHHHHHHHHHHHFDA...........This is the first single we ever had from the...um...white Fleetwood Mac album..."

:blob1:

GypsySongbird 01-18-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie

i love the live version!!!!!!!!!!!! this song is beautiful!!! her vocal is lovely!

SteveMacD 01-18-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind
It did - or at least a newer era of it than before. I often wonder what Green or Welch could have done to the song with their guitars.

To my ears, there's not a great bit of difference between Bob's playing on the song "Heroes Are Hard To Find" and Lindsey's on "Over My Head," save that Bob is playing an electric, and Lindsey is playing a Dobro on the main guitar part.

strandinthewind 01-18-2006 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD
To my ears, there's not a great bit of difference between Bob's playing on the song "Heroes Are Hard To Find" and Lindsey's on "Over My Head," save that Bob is playing an electric, and Lindsey is playing a Dobro on the main guitar part.

I'll have to check that out when I get home :cool:

ontheEdgeof17 01-18-2006 04:32 PM

The Live version is the superior version of the song. It was lackluster on The Dance. I give the song A-/B+

strandinthewind 01-18-2006 04:34 PM

Actually, the live one in the Disney doc. (it is outdoors and La Nicks is in red boots and at 90 pounds) is pretty fab as well :cool:

Brwn_eyes0511 01-18-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
The Live version is the superior version of the song. It was lackluster on The Dance. I give the song A-/B+

I think that is part of the reason she decided to switch it out with "Oh Daddy" for the tour...

HOWEVER! If they would have let her do "Just Crazy Love" like she had originally wanted to.......

:mad:

Jyqm 01-18-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
I think that is part of the reason she decided to switch it out with "Oh Daddy" for the tour...

HOWEVER! If they would have let her do "Just Crazy Love" like she had originally wanted to.......

:mad:

What's the news on this, Brown Eyes? I hadn't heard about this before.