The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Which song is better? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=36705)

vivfox 07-18-2008 12:19 AM

Which song is better?

Two great songs with the same music.

From last Century:
Back Stabbers(The O'Jays)
My Favorite Line: They smile in your face, all the time they want to take your place, the back stabbers...

From this Century:
Wish I didn't Miss You(Angie Stone)
My Favorite Line: Isn't it ironic, all you wanna do is smoke chronic, oh you forgot when you were down, who was around...

Tango 07-18-2008 09:40 AM

"What they do" Gotta go with the O'Jays, baby. The clothes, the moves all good . . . but it's all about their sound.

David 07-18-2008 10:47 AM

The O'Jays

BACKSTABBERS & FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY are two of the '70's greatest.

ajmccarrell 07-18-2008 12:27 PM

Can I say neither? Both sounds are what I detest in 70's music and why I don't like the new Maroon 5 album. I don't like the 70's semi-disco rock with lots of strings sound. Bob Welch is right out for the most part.

The 70's were the era of the singer-songwriters like John Denver and James Taylor. People should emulate them more, rather than the Spinners or the Jackson 5.

GODDESS6 07-18-2008 03:03 PM

Back Stabbers(The O'Jays) definitely!!!~ i just recently bought a greatest hits of theirs~

chiliD 07-18-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmccarrell (Post 763983)
Can I say neither? Both sounds are what I detest in 70's music and why I don't like the new Maroon 5 album. I don't like the 70's semi-disco rock with lots of strings sound. Bob Welch is right out for the most part.

The 70's were the era of the singer-songwriters like John Denver and James Taylor. People should emulate them more, rather than the Spinners or the Jackson 5.

I take offense...I consider your last remark blatantly racist.

vivfox 07-19-2008 07:53 PM

Actually I shouldn't have tried to pit these songs against each other. I should have asked you to please listen to them both. I feel that Angie's version is a great compliment to the O'Jays track. Obviously no one can sing Back Stabbers better.
While she doesn't even sing Back Stabbers, instead she borrows the music for a uniqe song of her own, which I think is a great compliment to the legacy of the song.

ajmccarrell 07-19-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 764053)
I take offense...I consider your last remark blatantly racist.

What a joke!!!! I didn't mention race. You, my friend, are the racist. Race didn't even occur to me in my statement. I just thought that the sounds exhibited by both of those bands, and Bob Welch mind you, were the worst of what the 70's had to offer. The fact of the matter is that there were fewer black singer songwriters in the 70's because the labels were racist and didn't market them as well, but to name an excellent one, how about Joan Armatrading. I love her stuff. There, does that make your race obsessed mind happy. LOL! :thumbsup: I'll make sure that my criticism of 70's bands has an equal opportunity clause. Sheesh! Some people.

Dreamz19 07-21-2008 11:46 AM

I like Angie Stone, but my pick is Backstabbers. That is one of my favorite songs period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmccarrell (Post 763983)

The Jackson 5, The Spinners and The O Jay's were great IMO. I love the singer-songwriters right along with them. I thought 70's soul music was amazing, but then again I love a lot of what 70's music had to offer. It's my favorite era of music.