The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Neil Finn featuring Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58952)

jwd 06-18-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1258575)
I don't think that quote made it to the TV airing. That may've been an online exclusive.

Was what he said mean? Doesn't that align with the spirit of the 2009 quote from Stevie I shared?

I was at MusiCares at Radio City and Stevie talked about how she doesn't have anybody late at night after shows in response to Dave Navarro talking about loneliness after concerts in a MusiCares montage played on the screens.

Were you one of Fleetwood Mac's attorneys in Lindsey's lawsuit against them?
You could probably get a job as Stevie's publicist!

I've never read so much pro Stevie commentary from Steve since Lindsey was fired from the band. Maybe he just likes to take the minority opinion and run with it. :shrug:

SteveMacD 06-18-2020 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1258575)
I don't think that quote made it to the TV airing. That may've been an online exclusive.

It was aired on TV. I remember cringing when he said it.

Quote:

Was what he said mean?
It certainly came off as passive aggressive.

Quote:

Were you one of Fleetwood Mac's attorneys in Lindsey's lawsuit against them?
You could probably get a job as Stevie's publicist!
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1258577)
I've never read so much pro Stevie commentary from Steve since Lindsey was fired from the band. Maybe he just likes to take the minority opinion and run with it. :shrug:

I’m not “pro-Stevie,” I just don’t dig how Lindsey has been canonized. I don’t dig how everything Stevie says is pure evil, but everything Lindsey says is completely benign. They’re both a-holes who run their mouths, which is hardly anything new. And, they’ve been a-holes to each other.

The one thing I will give credit to Stevie for is wanting to do away with the prerecords and diving into deeper cuts. Yeah, a new album would be great, but Lindsey has become so predictable with his production that even new songs don’t really feel new. LBCM felt more like a revisiting than something new or original.

I’m ambivalent about Lindsey. I’ve seen him more than any of the others outside of Fleetwood Mac, and hopefully will again. And, I probably won’t see Stevie solo, for the record (although I’ll definitely heck out Crowded House and Dirty Knobs if they’re nearby). However, the prerecords, blatant vocal manipulations, set guitar arrangements, and psychobabble banter is rough to watch after a while. Of course he has a ton of energy on stage, he’s on autopilot as a player. There’s a banality to it. After seeing Richard Thompson, working for Guided by Voices, and, yes, seeing Mike Campbell, I prefer the elements of unpredictability and spontaneity with shows, and that’s simply not in Lindsey’s lexicon.

UnwindedDreams 06-18-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1258578)
I’m not “pro-Stevie,” I just don’t dig how Lindsey has been canonized. I don’t dig how everything Stevie says is pure evil, but everything Lindsey says is completely benign. They’re both a-holes who run their mouths, which is hardly anything new. And, they’ve been a-holes to each other.

The one thing I will give credit to Stevie for is wanting to do away with the prerecords and diving into deeper cuts. Yeah, a new album would be great, but Lindsey has become so predictable with his production that even new songs don’t really feel new. LBCM felt more like a revisiting than something new or original.

I’m ambivalent about Lindsey. I’ve seen him more than any of the others outside of Fleetwood Mac, and hopefully will again. And, I probably won’t see Stevie solo, for the record (although I’ll definitely heck out Crowded House and Dirty Knobs if they’re nearby). However, the prerecords, blatant vocal manipulations, set guitar arrangements, and psychobabble banter is rough to watch after a while. Of course he has a ton of energy on stage, he’s on autopilot as a player. There’s a banality to it. After seeing Richard Thompson, working for Guided by Voices, and, yes, seeing Mike Campbell, I prefer the elements of unpredictability and spontaneity with shows, and that’s simply not in Lindsey’s lexicon.

I respect what you said. I don't agree that it was passive aggressive what he said about Stevie not having a spouse or family. From reading that 2009 quote, from watching Silver Springs from The Dance, the handholding, the tears from the Vegas 2013 performance, I think Stevie hoped it would've been that she & Lindsey would've been single and childless forever. But Lindsey had a kid & ended that hope.

As far as Stevie insisting on deep cuts, how do you mean?

Know I'm Not Wrong, Storms, Beautiful Child, Oh Well, 7 Wonders, Not that Funny, Oh Well were done from 03-15

Are you talking about BMW, Tell Me, & Hypnotized? She sang BMW, sure, but most of that performance was Mike & a solo from Chris. I wish she added a verse written by her instead "Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah"

BigAl84 06-24-2020 02:32 PM

The whole rhetoric of Lindsey being responsible for the stale setlist somehow came out of the whole debacle/split in 2018 and somehow stuck with many. Quite frankly, it's a crock of sh*t and I don't get how Lindsey got stuck with that label.

I highly doubt Stevie Nicks EVER muttered a single pre-1975 song title during tour rehearsals between 2003-2015. The ONLY reason she magically showed interest for that material was when Mick went into emergency PR mode and had to justify Lindsey's departure as business as usual "because our lineup has always changed throughout the years" despite the fact that just a matter of 4 years ago mick is quoted as saying that the 75 lineup has come to be recognized as a definitive lineup for the band.

They talked up the "new band" and "new setlist" to sell tickets and then axed nearly all of the "new old" songs within the first 20 shows of the tour. But it's somehow Lindsey's fault for the stale setlist. Okay, sure.

It's funny how folks have selective memory and forget that Lindsey wasn't exactly keen on doing the 2009 tour and doing "just the hits"...

Or how they forget about him remarking that "We certainly cant open with The Chain again" - which is why they opened with Monday Morning in 2009.

BigAl84 06-24-2020 02:37 PM

And let's get real here. The use of some pre-records is no worse than Mick Fleetwood hiding a drum tech behind his kit, filling in huge chunks that he otherwise played back in the day. So don't fool yourself into thinking that pre-records and similar things were an act of big bad Lindsey. The entire band used things like that to help them out.

It's hilarious that people magically have outrage about some pre-recorded parts and turn a blind eye to the army of backing musicians they've had playing behind them for the better part of 20 years.

Oh but Lindsey!!

BigAl84 06-24-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1258578)
LBCM felt more like a revisiting than something new or original.

You're right - they should of called it songs from the vault and hired the Nashville wrecking crew to replicate 30-year-old demos note for note. That wasn't a revisitation or anything.

jbrownsjr 06-26-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1258616)
And let's get real here. The use of some pre-records is no worse than Mick Fleetwood hiding a drum tech behind his kit, filling in huge chunks that he otherwise played back in the day. So don't fool yourself into thinking that pre-records and similar things were an act of big bad Lindsey. The entire band used things like that to help them out.

It's hilarious that people magically have outrage about some pre-recorded parts and turn a blind eye to the army of backing musicians they've had playing behind them for the better part of 20 years.

Oh but Lindsey!!

Point taken. I really can't argue. As time has gone on, we have been watching a cover band of back-ups filling in more and more and more with each tour.

jbrownsjr 06-26-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1258617)
You're right - they should of called it songs from the vault and hired the Nashville wrecking crew to replicate 30-year-old demos note for note. That wasn't a revisitation or anything.

When you compare that album w/ BuckVie, it's not even a contest.

I tried to listen to her 24K. It's really hard to get through it.

HomerMcvie 06-26-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1258635)
I tried to listen to her 24K. It's really hard to get through it.

A copy was given to me when it came out. I made it through it twice, trying to like it, and just couldn't do it again.

jbrownsjr 06-26-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258636)
A copy was given to me when it came out. I made it through it twice, trying to like it, and just couldn't do it again.

Some of those songs were amazing back in the day. Add the nasal factor and I'm tapping out. :shocked:

jmn3 06-26-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1258615)

It's funny how folks have selective memory and forget that Lindsey wasn't exactly keen on doing the 2009 tour and doing "just the hits"...

Or how they forget about him remarking that "We certainly cant open with The Chain again" - which is why they opened with Monday Morning in 2009.

I thought that The Chain comment was before Say You Will. Then they did that rehearsal show where they opened with Eyes of the World...and then by the time of the tour opener in Columbus, we were back to The Chain opening. It's been so long now since all of this but I thought it was Mick that suggested Monday Morning for the Unleashed tour in 2009 and that it took some convincing to get Lindsey to go for it - something about playing some old shows (presumably from the latter stage of the Tusk tour) where they opened with Monday Morning and that convinced them to do it.

That all being said, I am in full agreement with you that tagging Lindsey as the stale setlist guy is pretty comical. You gave all the backup and evidence for what a BS crap excuse this was by Mick and Stevie. That fans buy into this too is just ridiculous.

SteveMacD 08-23-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1258615)
The whole rhetoric of Lindsey being responsible for the stale setlist

Nope. That’s not what the criticism was. It’s that he didn’t want to explore in depth the 67-74, 88-95 stuff, the music that didn’t involve him, that wasn’t part of HIS legacy with Fleetwood Mac. We all know that his first choice would be new music, but that wasn’t in the cards (different, equally important topic). Still, he’s publicly said that he didn’t enjoy playing the earlier stuff, except for maybe a couple of Peter Green songs, and that he felt like a cabaret act whenever they played that stuff.

Quote:

They talked up the "new band" and "new setlist" to sell tickets and then axed nearly all of the "new old" songs within the first 20 shows of the tour. But it's somehow Lindsey's fault for the stale setlist. Okay, sure.
I agree that it sucked that those songs were dropped (especially Hypnotized). Still, hearing Christine do solos reminiscent of 1971-72 was worth it for me. I mean, I still got to see Lindsey do his songs, too. For me, it was actually better apart. I got to see Hypnotized, Tell Me All The Things You Do, All Over Again, and I Must Go in 2018.

And, as a fan of the Finns in general and Mike Campbell as a guitarist...It could have been worse.

Quote:

I highly doubt Stevie Nicks EVER muttered a single pre-1975 song title during tour rehearsals between 2003-2015
Probably not. But, her formula changed with the 24KG tour. Mick was knee deep in promoting his 67-74 “Love That Burns” coffee table book, and he and Stevie apparently decided in Italy that they wanted to apply her new MO to a Fleetwood Mac set.

BigAl84 08-26-2020 08:48 AM

Everyone and their mother knows darn well that even if Lindsey were in the band at that point, preparing for the 2018 tour - Stevie and the rest of the band would never of supported removing 3+ of the "hits" for pre-75 material. If I had to take a bet, the only reason we got Oh Well in 2009 was because it was one of Lindsey's picks for the set, not because Stevie or Mick suggested breaking up the setlist with pre-75 material.

I also wouldnt be suprised if another factor in the sudden pre-75 love fest had to do with saving Stevie's voice for the hideous Tom Petty tribute at the end of the show.

As you've already stated...the only reason this is even a discussion topic is because it was clearly identified as a new MO for the band via mick and steive. It really turned out to be a failed attempt to spin the concept of "what we did to Lindsey is business as usual because lookie over here...we've always had a revolving door of musicians and we pay tribute to all of them in our setlists"....rigggghhhhht.

Where's all the criticism of Christine not playing her earlier Fleetwood Mac material while in the band between 1979-1988?.....probably somebody elses fault, right?

mitzo 08-26-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258636)

It outsold LCBM, however.

HomerMcvie 08-26-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1259643)
It outsold LCBM, however.

There's absolutely no accounting for taste. If there was, I could explain that old goat's popularity.

And I don't give two f*cks what the masses like. I make my own choices based on the merits of the work before me.

Sheeple.....