The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Neil Finn featuring Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58952)

aleuzzi 05-31-2020 04:25 PM

If Christine was helping out, why not give her a decent spotlight? Her contribution at the end is barely noticeable. Yet another frustration when it comes to getting any new music from her.

I’d like to know what the song that didn’t make LB/CM album sounds like. It was hers and she “had high hopes” for it. LB said “save it for next time” but there won’t likely be a next time and the song sits languishing in a can.

Jondalar 05-31-2020 06:09 PM

Stevie sounds awful. They need the vocal filter from Prove Me Wrong.

mitzo 05-31-2020 06:45 PM

This is a great listen and I think the voices work really well. As for Stevie, that is how she has sounded for many years now. The production and mix here help soften her a bit. I would gladly buy an album of this, a new FM album.

Storms123 05-31-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1258344)
If Christine was helping out, why not give her a decent spotlight? Her contribution at the end is barely noticeable. Yet another frustration when it comes to getting any new music from her.

I’d like to know what the song that didn’t make LB/CM album sounds like. It was hers and she “had high hopes” for it. LB said “save it for next time” but there won’t likely be a next time and the song sits languishing in a can.

A lot of songs sit "languishing in a can" with this group. Someone should just produce the can at this point.

SteveMacD 05-31-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storms123 (Post 1258351)
A lot of songs sit "languishing in a can" with this group. Someone should just produce the can at this point.

I’d love to hear Mike Campbell produce the forgotten Buckingham Nicks song “Forget About Me.”

https://youtu.be/3P3emYkPdhk

TheWildHeart67 06-05-2020 11:43 PM

This song is nice. Very pretty and it's a nice surprise hearing this. Stevie's vocal is very good here and Christine sounds great.

secondhandchain 06-07-2020 01:15 AM

Stevie’s voice however..
If she would quieten down a little, sing less in your face sort of, she wouldn’t sound so strident and flat.

Spot on: She needs to pull back her voice and soften it up. To nasal and in your face

SteveMacD 06-07-2020 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1258459)
Stevie’s voice however..
If she would quieten down a little, sing less in your face sort of, she wouldn’t sound so strident and flat.

Spot on: She needs to pull back her voice and soften it up. To nasal and in your face

That’s been the case since like 1986.

bombaysaffires 06-07-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1258353)
I’d love to hear Mike Campbell produce the forgotten Buckingham Nicks song “Forget About Me.”

https://youtu.be/3P3emYkPdhk

I gotta say this song has always cracked me up. As much a fan of Stevie's lyrics as I usually am, this one really is a word salad. Guess she and Lindsey didn't have a Bob Dylan conversation over this one.

You call me up on the telephone, baby
You said you didn't want to talk to me
I ask you why and you said you'd tell me later
I guess you wanted to forget about me

First....the changing verb tenses thing. But, ok, Bob Dylan.
Then, just the logic of the whole story is wack. Why would someone call you on the phone to tell you they didn't want to talk to you? Wouldn't they have to talk to you on the phone to tell you they don't want to talk to you? Why wouldn't they just stop talking to you, period??
Then, you ask them why they don't want to talk to you, and they say they'll tell you later. What? If they don't want to talk to you, why would they plan to talk to you in the future.....to tell you why they don't want to talk to you...:shocked:
If they wanted to forget about you, and not talk to you, why would they talk to you later, which would mean they'd have to remember, not forget, you??

:laugh:

HomerMcvie 06-08-2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1258468)
I gotta say this song has always cracked me up. As much a fan of Stevie's lyrics as I usually am, this one really is a word salad. Guess she and Lindsey didn't have a Bob Dylan conversation over this one.

You call me up on the telephone, baby
You said you didn't want to talk to me
I ask you why and you said you'd tell me later
I guess you wanted to forget about me

First....the changing verb tenses thing. But, ok, Bob Dylan.
Then, just the logic of the whole story is wack. Why would someone call you on the phone to tell you they didn't want to talk to you? Wouldn't they have to talk to you on the phone to tell you they don't want to talk to you? Why wouldn't they just stop talking to you, period??
Then, you ask them why they don't want to talk to you, and they say they'll tell you later. What? If they don't want to talk to you, why would they plan to talk to you in the future.....to tell you why they don't want to talk to you...:shocked:
If they wanted to forget about you, and not talk to you, why would they talk to you later, which would mean they'd have to remember, not forget, you??

:laugh:

Because squirrel turds.

Nuttier than.

Nuttier than squirrel turds.

That is all. :wavey:

secondhandchain 06-08-2020 05:11 PM

Christine is so buried in the mix in the back of the song. Do you want to know why? Her voice is SO gone and old ladyish (the choppers roll around in her mouth when she sings) that even studio tricks cannot hide it anymore.
Stevie's 2 note range has power, but sounds like someone stuffed all the missing toilet paper from the stores up her nose.
Even if LB came back I would not want them touring anymore. I'm not even sure if LB could pull off a studio recording where CM sounds passable. They really should sadly just retire, legacy badly damaged by the tambourine witch and the scarf $ man.

BombaySapphire3 06-08-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1258487)
They really should sadly just retire, legacy badly damaged by the tambourine witch and the scarf $ man.

I think that they are done. If and when this covid pandemic slows down enough to even allow for that final cash grab farewell tour they will be too old and decrepit to pull it off if they aren't already. As far as recording new music you can stick a fork in that one too.

HomerMcvie 06-09-2020 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1258487)
Christine is so buried in the mix in the back of the song. Do you want to know why? Her voice is SO gone and old ladyish (the choppers roll around in her mouth when she sings) that even studio tricks cannot hide it anymore.
Stevie's 2 note range has power, but sounds like someone stuffed all the missing toilet paper from the stores up her nose.
Even if LB came back I would not want them touring anymore. I'm not even sure if LB could pull off a studio recording where CM sounds passable. They really should sadly just retire, legacy badly damaged by the tambourine witch and the scarf $ man.

I agree. None of them have much voice left. It's become embarrassing at this point. Backup singers can only cover up so much. It's time for them to hang it up.

SteveMacD 06-09-2020 01:58 AM

Granny Christine > No Christine

Wish came true with her return.

jbrownsjr 06-09-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1258492)
Granny Christine > No Christine

Wish came true with her return.

I agree. We got that BuckVie tour and she was on and off during that tour. I loved her in 2014 she was a little wobbly but not a disaster.
Her voice became much weaker in 2018. Stevie was also like nails on a chalk board in 2018. I had to cover my ears during Gypsy.

But, I got to see them and that was still a treat.