The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tango Questions (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59461)

cbBen 01-18-2022 12:16 PM

Tango Questions

1) intro and 2:03-2:20 "Little Lies": Lindsey on string instrument?

2) "Seven Wonders" (1:53-2:18) keyboard sound (not slide or ac. gtr): Lindsey on string instrument?

Is it my ears are does each song have a crazy-long fade out (or gap between songs)?

"Welcome To The Room" sounds like a song from The Other Side Of The Mirror (which is where it should have gone).

Should have Jeremy Spencer'd Stevie (as in, how they relegated him to one song on Then Play On). Might have woken her up a bit. Of course, by this point the group had evolved to a three-songwriter team so that may not have been possible (plus she may have quit).

bombaysaffires 01-18-2022 01:47 PM

All synths.

HomerMcvie 01-18-2022 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1272077)
All synths.

Agreed. And it blew my mind that Christine didn't play the part live on synth, instead letting the guitarist cover it.

John Run 01-18-2022 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272078)
Agreed. And it blew my mind that Christine didn't play the part live on synth, instead letting the guitarist cover it.

Because, likely it was Lindsey playing the intro on the studio version. A lot of keyboards on Tango are Lindsey. It not just the intro to Little Lies, Christine has never even attempted to play any keyboards parts to Everywhere live on stage.

Some of the keyboard parts were DX-7's and Fairlights, but also guitar synths and vari-speed guitars made to sound like keyboards.

The Chain 01-18-2022 03:45 PM

I always thought the intro and little instrumental bridge in Little Lies sounded like Lindsey’s guitar run through a synth :shrug:

Street_Dreamer 01-18-2022 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chain (Post 1272085)
I always thought the intro and little instrumental bridge in Little Lies sounded like Lindsey’s guitar run through a synth :shrug:

This is what I thought as well.

Macfan4life 01-19-2022 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272078)

Didn't she on the 1987 and 1990 tour? The song was keyboard heavy those tours.

Macfan4life 01-19-2022 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Run (Post 1272079)
Because, likely it was Lindsey playing the intro on the studio version. A lot of keyboards on Tango are Lindsey. It not just the intro to Little Lies, Christine has never even attempted to play any keyboards parts to Everywhere live on stage.

Some of the keyboard parts were DX-7's and Fairlights, but also guitar synths and vari-speed guitars made to sound like keyboards.

I missed Chris's playing on Tango. You get a glimpse of her now and then. The major reason I like BTM is you can hear her play on every song.

HomerMcvie 01-19-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272106)

I think Rick played it. It's been so long now, my memory is fuzzy. And I don't own Tango on DVD(I'm not paying for closeups of the goat).

jbrownsjr 01-19-2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272107)
I missed Chris's playing on Tango. You get a glimpse of her now and then. The major reason I like BTM is you can hear her play on every song.

She even had a keyboard solo during BTM tour.

HomerMcvie 01-19-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272120)
She even had a keyboard solo during BTM tour.

When they used to do it at the end of Don't Stop?

jbrownsjr 01-19-2022 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272121)
When they used to do it at the end of Don't Stop?

I believe it was Stop Messin Around. Wow, it's been a long time.

John Run 01-19-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272106)

No - Dan Garfield, who was the keyboard programmer on the Tango and BTM tours, played all the keys on Everywhere and intro keys on Little Lies during those live shows. He was a Lindsey programming protege. He then toured as the keyboard player on the Out of
the Cradle tour.

Additionally, Lindsey probably doesn't get the credit for being the innovative mid 80's -- mid 90s synth programmer he was.

moon 01-20-2022 02:56 AM

Let me know...for what I read in the past, TITN started as a project which combined a work of Christine and the work for "a third album?" by Lindsey. Am I right?
I always thought that the keyboard/piano/synth parts were all by Christine, with Lindsey's collaboration. But was Lindsey who really played there? Maybe I didn't understand right, but for what I'm learning now, most of the synth partes on the album were played by Lindsey...So which parts were played by Christine? Is TITN a Lindsey's entire solo work where the rest only played what he wrote/thought/composed, and then Stevie Nicks added her own part??
More questions for the thread haha ;)

blinker12 01-20-2022 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Run (Post 1272150)
Additionally, Lindsey probably doesn't get the credit for being the innovative mid 80's -- mid 90s synth programmer he was.

I think about that sometimes too. How many other guitar gods transitioned so fully to also being synth gods?

Tango was not just current in 1987, it was pushing the synth pop envelope. In retrospect, I guess a lot of the ideas came from his work on Go Insane - that was kind of the woodshed album for Tango.