The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Turning LBCM into Fleetwood Mac and why it wouldn’t work. (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59565)

SteveMacD 06-06-2022 05:11 PM

Turning LBCM into Fleetwood Mac and why it wouldn’t work.

I had a thought about a simple way they could have made LBCM into a 14 song Fleetwood Mac album.

Sleeping Around the Corner
Feel About You
Miss Fantasy
In My World
Red Sun
Without You
Love is Here to Stay
-
Too Far Gone
Lay Down for Free
Not Make Believe
Game of Pretend
On With the Show
Sad Angel
Carnival Begin

However, beyond not wanting to make new music, I think Stevie doesn’t want to perform new music. I think she’s committed to the vault thing. It suited her 24KG and Fleetwood Mac 2018 tours well. Given that Lindsey and Christine wanted to play the new songs, there would have been a major locking of horns at some point.

DownOnRodeo 06-06-2022 08:09 PM

Are "Not Make Believe" and "Without You" the only two Stevie-penned songs you've included, or am I missing one? I assume there needs to be at least three Stevie-penned songs for it to have been viable as a BN-FM effort.

Also "Not Make Believe" was already recorded and released in 2003, so that seems an unlikely inclusion.

But I like the idea of replacing Extended Play with a full BN-FM album. And have it be recorded and released back in like 2008 or so for that matter (by Stevie making a more concerted effort to lure Chris out of retirement).

bwboy 06-06-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1274987)
However, beyond not wanting to make new music, I think Stevie doesn’t want to perform new music. I think she’s committed to the vault thing. It suited her 24KG and Fleetwood Mac 2018 tours well. Given that Lindsey and Christine wanted to play the new songs, there would have been a major locking of horns at some point.

I don’t think performing new songs would have been an issue. Stevie sang on the new songs when FM toured for the EP and Say You Will, and she sang new songs (to her, anyway) on the last FM tour. All Over Again, Black Magic Woman, and Don’t Dream It’s Over were new songs for her. Singing the songs live isn’t the problem for Stevie… it’s getting her to record the music in the studio that’s the problem.

SteveMacD 06-07-2022 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1274990)
Are "Not Make Believe" and "Without You" the only two Stevie-penned songs you've included, or am I missing one? I assume there needs to be at least three Stevie-penned songs for it to have been viable as a BN-FM effort.

Also "Not Make Believe" was already recorded and released in 2003, so that seems an unlikely inclusion.

It would have been the 2003 recording, maybe with Christine dubbed on it.

The original idea was to add the two bonus tracks from the SYW Deluxe Edition and have “It Takes Time” and “Love Minus Zero/No Limit” as the ending songs of side one and two, respectively, when I came up with it, but it felt more like a band effort without them. They didn’t add anything to make it feel like a group effort.

The goal was to have Stevie in the mix on the album without having to involve her in the recording process. As for number of songs penned by someone, Lindsey only penned 2.5 songs on the white Fleetwood Mac album and Stevie only penned two songs on TITN.

DownOnRodeo 06-07-2022 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1275002)
Stevie only penned two songs on TITN.

You wouldn't say that to Emmaline!

Sure, Christine would be a good inclusion on NMB, mixed in with Lindsey's backing vocals.

UnwindedDreams 06-07-2022 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1274987)
It suited her 24KG and Fleetwood Mac 2018 tours well.

What songs of hers from the vault did she sing in 2018?

I agree she doesn't want to sing new songs. She's not singing her most recent song, STTW, or any songs from her last album 24 Karat Gold on this year's tour.

Macfan4life 06-07-2022 06:58 AM

I am having trouble grasping this concept. Buck/Vie was Fleetwood Mac without Stevie. I would take issue with your point with Buck/Vie wanting to record new music and Stevie didnt want to. I take issue with it because its based on Stevie's false statement. She made excuses for not wanting to join Lindsey and the band in the studio. She records older songs because she probably does not write as much and her older songs may be better. Everything Stevie said during this time was false. Remember when she did not want to record with the Mac because new music did not sell? Yet she is recording In Your Dreams and 24K Gold in the same era.
Having said all that, I wish Stevie would have showed up and recorded with the Mac. Its crazy that you have to go all the way back to Mirage for a true cohesive studio album from these 5. But I am extremely pleased the band "played on" and recorded anyway. This decision eventually was the beginning of the end for the band. Stevie was no longer able to hold the band hostage. They should have called it Fleetwood Mac but already knew she was pissed they went on without her. Sure enough that was the final straw for her and she demanded Lindsey get fired. So I would have to disagree. The 4 sounded great on Buck/Vie and they should do it again. It works perfectly. Sorry Steve :(
No other band would do this. If the Eagles recorded an album without one member, its still the Eagles. Why would Fleetwood Mac be any different. Contrary to popular belief but Stevie Nicks is NOT Fleetwood Mac.

jbrownsjr 06-07-2022 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1275006)
Sure enough tContrary to popular belief but Stevie Nicks is NOT Fleetwood Mac.

OH my God!! YOU TAKE THAT BACK!! Her fans alone will come get ya.

BLY 06-07-2022 06:29 PM

Quote:

No other band would do this. If the Eagles recorded an album without one member, its still the Eagles. Why would Fleetwood Mac be any different. Contrary to popular belief but Stevie Nicks is NOT Fleetwood Mac.

I agree 100% it should have been titled Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey also could have added Christine to Miss Fantasy and Sad Angel and leave Without You as is and it could have been a 13 track album. Stevie “is on it”

HomerMcvie 06-08-2022 01:33 AM

Quote:

I am having trouble grasping this concept. Buck/Vie was Fleetwood Mac without Stevie. I would take issue with your point with Buck/Vie wanting to record new music and Stevie didnt want to. I take issue with it because its based on Stevie's false statement. She made excuses for not wanting to join Lindsey and the band in the studio. She records older songs because she probably does not write as much and her older songs may be better. Everything Stevie said during this time was false. Remember when she did not want to record with the Mac because new music did not sell? Yet she is recording In Your Dreams and 24K Gold in the same era.
Having said all that, I wish Stevie would have showed up and recorded with the Mac. Its crazy that you have to go all the way back to Mirage for a true cohesive studio album from these 5. But I am extremely pleased the band "played on" and recorded anyway. This decision eventually was the beginning of the end for the band. Stevie was no longer able to hold the band hostage. They should have called it Fleetwood Mac but already knew she was pissed they went on without her. Sure enough that was the final straw for her and she demanded Lindsey get fired. So I would have to disagree. The 4 sounded great on Buck/Vie and they should do it again. It works perfectly. Sorry Steve :(

You're usually a slight PIMA, but I agree with all of this. I'll expect differently from you tomorrow. It's too bad the world thinks that the Old Goat IS FM. We know differently, but it's futile trying to convince the world. BuckVie was my perfect ending to MY band.

BUT, The Eagles would never record without Don or Glenn(well, they have no choice now with Glenn). But their recipe has been the same forever. Don and Glenn split 80-90%, and Tim and Joe get 1-2 songs each. Face it, that's a recipe for their success. They're done, too. And who can blame any of them at this age?

Macfan4life 06-08-2022 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275021)
You're usually a slight PIMA, but I agree with all of this. I'll expect differently from you tomorrow. It's too bad the world thinks that the Old Goat IS FM. We know differently, but it's futile trying to convince the world. BuckVie was my perfect ending to MY band.

BUT, The Eagles would never record without Don or Glenn(well, they have no choice now with Glenn). But their recipe has been the same forever. Don and Glenn split 80-90%, and Tim and Joe get 1-2 songs each. Face it, that's a recipe for their success. They're done, too. And who can blame any of them at this age?

Hate the game, not the player.
Forgive me but I thought you were a big Eagles fan. The Eagles DID record without Felder. In 2007 the Eagles released Long Road Out Of Eden which Felder did not participate. The album debuted at #1 in the United States and knocked Brittany Spears out of the top notch.
I will take Eagles trivia for $1000 Alex.

True or False........you don't consider this music the Eagles? Are you equating Stevie Nicks with Don Felder? I think the chiffon is a bit too tight on your head. Loosen the knot.

Edit: Ok after I wrote this masterpiece, I realize now you mean Don Henley and not Don Felder :eek: However, the point is the same. The Eagles perform live without Felder and without Frey. The Mac clearly does not have the fan base the Eagles have because most people that go to their shows are there for Stevie. If Frey was still alive and he and Henley did a duo album together and toured and played all the Eagles hits, they would pack arenas. 2 singers of Fleetwood Mac record and tour together and play the Mac hits and cant even fill small theaters. Sad but true :(

UnwindedDreams 06-08-2022 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1275023)
Forgive me but I thought you were a big Eagles fan. The Eagles DID record without Felder. In 2007 the Eagles released Long Road Out Of Eden which Felder did not participate. The album debuted at #1 in the United States and knocked Brittany Spears out of the top notch.

True or False........you don't consider this music the Eagles? Are you equating Stevie Nicks with Don Felder? I think the chiffon is a bit too tight on your head. Loosen the knot.

Edit: Ok after I wrote this masterpiece, I realize now you mean Don Henley and not Don Felder :eek: However, the point is the same. The Eagles perform live without Felder and without Frey. The Mac clearly does not have the fan base the Eagles have because most people that go to their shows are there for Stevie. If Frey was still alive and he and Henley did a duo album together and toured and played all the Eagles hits, they would pack arenas. 2 singers of Fleetwood Mac record and tour together and play the Mac hits and cant even fill small theaters. Sad but true :(

Henley actually did theaters and smaller amphitheaters on his most recent solo tours. He did an arena for his 70th birthday but it was advertised as Don and Friends (Stevie showed up)

I think on Frey's last solo tour, he did theaters as well.

It's the Eagles name but also Don being in the band. Frey's deceased but Eagles still play four nights at Madison Square Garden. I don't believe it's mainly Vince Gill fans buying the tickets.

Macfan4life 06-08-2022 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1275024)
Henley actually did theaters and smaller amphitheaters on his most recent solo tours. He did an arena for his 70th birthday but it was advertised as Don and Friends (Stevie showed up)

I think on Frey's last solo tour, he did theaters as well.

It's the Eagles name but also Don being in the band. Frey's deceased but Eagles still play four nights at Madison Square Garden. I don't believe it's mainly Vince Gill fans buying the tickets.

Yes it is the Eagles name. Do you think the Fleetwood Mac name minus Stevie would pack the arenas like the Eagles? Even the band knows it would not happen thus bending at the will of Stevie. Do you really think Henely and Frey touring together would play to small theaters? It was not a fair analogy to divide their solo careers since I was talking about the Buck/Vie project.

jmn3 06-08-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1275025)
Yes it is the Eagles name. Do you think the Fleetwood Mac name minus Stevie would pack the arenas like the Eagles? Even the band knows it would not happen thus bending at the will of Stevie. Do you really think Henely and Frey touring together would play to small theaters? It was not a fair analogy to divide their solo careers since I was talking about the Buck/Vie project.

Eagles as a brand is for sure the selling point, but it only works still because Don Henley is there. A Henley/Frey tour would maybe sell out the sheds but no way they're selling out MSG or The Forum for multiple nights without EAGLES on the marquee.

As for Buckingham McVie - it was/is a Fleetwood Mac album. You make it one officially by literally changing the cover and the name of the artist. They should never have allowed Nicks refusing to take part as the reason for releasing it under the Buckingham McVie moniker. It was never going to sell a lot anyway whether it had FM or BM as the name, nor if Stevie participated or not. They went along with their BS story about releasing this duet album and that they never intended it to be Fleetwood Mac (despite it being recorded by 4/5 members of the band) to appease Stephanie and at the end of the day, she still was pissed and got Lindsey fired shortly thereafter anyway.

jbrownsjr 06-08-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1275026)
Eagles as a brand is for sure the selling point, but it only works still because Don Henley is there. A Henley/Frey tour would maybe sell out the sheds but no way they're selling out MSG or The Forum for multiple nights without EAGLES on the marquee.

As for Buckingham McVie - it was/is a Fleetwood Mac album. You make it one officially by literally changing the cover and the name of the artist. They should never have allowed Nicks refusing to take part as the reason for releasing it under the Buckingham McVie moniker. It was never going to sell a lot anyway whether it had FM or BM as the name, nor if Stevie participated or not. They went along with their BS story about releasing this duet album and that they never intended it to be Fleetwood Mac (despite it being recorded by 4/5 members of the band) to appease Stephanie and at the end of the day, she still was pissed and got Lindsey fired shortly thereafter anyway.

Unless, and I think she and her mgmt. own enough of FMAC to call the shots. So there's that.

Macfan4life 06-08-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1275028)
Unless, and I think she and her mgmt. own enough of FMAC to call the shots. So there's that.

Gosh I want Lindsey to write a book someday so much. I know Mick or Chris would never dare reveal Stevie's tour proceeds cut and when it started. We know during Tango it existed but I want to know if the Mirage tour was not evenly split 5 ways. She was contractually obligated to record Mirage with the band. But the tour may have been the time Irving demanded a higher percentage since she was a big solo star.
I need to know these details please. The band was not getting along during Mirage. We hear stories how they all took separate limos to shoot the Hold Me video and no one really spoke to each other and was drunk and high all day.
I wish Lindsey would write a book. His Tango stories would be so juicy :)

UnwindedDreams 06-08-2022 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1275025)

I think a Henley and Frey tour would do summer amphitheaters. Henley plays the places Christine and Lindsey played as a duo and sells them out.
But I also think if Don and Glenn did a tour, they'd have called it Eagles even without Timothy and Joe:laugh:

HomerMcvie 06-08-2022 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1275023)

Of COURSE I meant Henley, not Felder.:lol: Are you blond? And yes, I'm a huge Eagles fan.

LROOE is a pretty good album, but it suffers the same problem that SYW does. It's TOO F*CKING LOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGGG. What is it with these geezers wanting to put out the longest album possible. Whatever happened to self editing? "LET'S PICK THE BEST 10 SONGS, AND GO WITH THAT!", said no geezer ever....

Hey, I was front row for BuckVie in Nashville. I can't help other people's lack of taste, and their preference for goat sounds.

I would never equate Don FELDER with $tevie. Don has TALENT. Lots of talent. I've always preferred him to Joe. His solos are infinitely more interesting.

Macfan4life 06-08-2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275031)
Of COURSE I meant Henley, not Felder.:lol: Are you blond? And yes, I'm a huge Eagles fan.

LROOE is a pretty good album, but it suffers the same problem that SYW does. It's TOO F*CKING LOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGGG. What is it with these geezers wanting to put out the longest album possible. Whatever happened to self editing? "LET'S PICK THE BEST 10 SONGS, AND GO WITH THAT!", said no geezer ever....

Hey, I was front row for BuckVie in Nashville. I can't help other people's lack of taste, and their preference for goat sounds.

I would never equate Don FELDER with $tevie. Don has TALENT. Lots of talent. I've always preferred him to Joe. His solos are infinitely more interesting.

Color me (Sable on) blonde

https://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/po...tevie-to-do-my

jmn3 06-08-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275031)

Nailed it - LROOE is like double the size it should be. It’s got way too much crappy fluff on it. The good stuff is really good though!

For his contribution to Hotel California alone, Felder should still be in Eagles. What I like about Frey and Henley is how they own their a-holeness. Imagine Stevie being involved in a Mac documentary like History of the Eagles and not mincing words about how she got Lindsey fired. And then allowing Lindsey to have his say in the same documentary. She would never because she has to always be portrayed as the victim. Glen and Don had zero fu**s to give if anyone thinks they’re jerks.

jmn3 06-08-2022 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1275028)

Didn’t it kind of come out in Lindsey’s lawsuit that band “ownership” was never really firmed up? I know there were tour splits but who actually owns the band? I’d have to assume Mick and John would be able to truly claim half share ownership unless something was ever written to give shares to Chris or anyone else. Stevie still clearly calls the shots and has the influence but technically does she actually “own” anything?

jmn3 06-08-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1275029)
Gosh I want Lindsey to write a book someday so much. I know Mick or Chris would never dare reveal Stevie's tour proceeds cut and when it started. We know during Tango it existed but I want to know if the Mirage tour was not evenly split 5 ways. She was contractually obligated to record Mirage with the band. But the tour may have been the time Irving demanded a higher percentage since she was a big solo star.
I need to know these details please. The band was not getting along during Mirage. We hear stories how they all took separate limos to shoot the Hold Me video and no one really spoke to each other and was drunk and high all day.
I wish Lindsey would write a book. His Tango stories would be so juicy :)

Would he ever? He’d have to give up his romantic notion of some regrouping to close out the work of art they built or whatever crap he’s spewing lately. A tell all would be a real gem. I always get the impression that Lindsey’s memory of specific events is likely much better than the others. It would also be full of big words and wordy passages about the cycles and demons and artistic integrity. But if you can cut through the Lindseyness his stories would be incredible.

On the contrary, a Stevie autobiography would be full of such inaccuracies that you couldn’t trust any of it. John wouldn’t care to do a book. Chris’s book would be like “i wrote love songs. I hated touring. I have a house. Piss off.” And we know what Mick does.

HomerMcvie 06-08-2022 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1275035)
Nailed it - LROOE is like double the size it should be. It’s got way too much crappy fluff on it. The good stuff is really good though!

For his contribution to Hotel California alone, Felder should still be in Eagles. What I like about Frey and Henley is how they own their a-holeness. Imagine Stevie being involved in a Mac documentary like History of the Eagles and not mincing words about how she got Lindsey fired. And then allowing Lindsey to have his say in the same documentary. She would never because she has to always be portrayed as the victim. Glen and Don had zero fu**s to give if anyone thinks they’re jerks.

Absolutely he should still be in the Eagles. Just like Lindsey should be in FM. You CAN'T fire an integral member of the band,unless you're just a crazy, self absorbed b*tch.

I've become a much bigger Eagles fan over the past few years, and I've always tried to figure out who's the bigger As*hole, Don or Glenn? I've watched History of the Eagles a million times now. Don is pompous, but in most of the old footage, Glenn is just a first class PRICK. NOT LIKEABLE AT ALL. ~My personal take~ of it all is that Glenn was VERY jealous that Don became the STAR of the Eagles.....HIS band, and he never learned to deal with it. Glenn mellowed out in the later years, but I'd like to slug him in all of the old videos.

HomerMcvie 06-08-2022 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1275036)
Didn’t it kind of come out in Lindsey’s lawsuit that band “ownership” was never really firmed up? I know there were tour splits but who actually owns the band? I’d have to assume Mick and John would be able to truly claim half share ownership unless something was ever written to give shares to Chris or anyone else. Stevie still clearly calls the shots and has the influence but technically does she actually “own” anything?

The Eagles were all for one, and one for all, until Joe and Timothy came along. They were never full partners. Felder was the last full partner(thus causing his eventual firing - because he was demanding HIS SHARE[which he was legally due] of merch and the like). When Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner left the band, they decided that 'all for one' wasn't a good scenario any longer, although I believe touring revenue was still split evenly...

Then when they reunited in 1994, Don and Glenn wanted the lion's share of the money. I've not read Felder's book for at least a decade now, but I think they cut the other 3 guys from 20% to 10%.

I DOUBT that FM was ever divided up, but who knows. EVERYONE knows now, that if $tevie ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. All $he has to do is say $he's not touring unless $he gets whatever percent, and they HAVE to do it, if they wanna put the asses in the seats. Satan, I mean Irving, makes her demands happen.

BigAl84 06-09-2022 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1275017)
I agree 100% it should have been titled Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey also could have added Christine to Miss Fantasy and Sad Angel and leave Without You as is and it could have been a 13 track album. Stevie “is on it”

Now that I'm thinking about it...the possibility of Christine singing a verse of Without You could of been fantastic. Her voice also could of softened the overall vocals on that track.

jmn3 06-09-2022 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275039)
Absolutely he should still be in the Eagles. Just like Lindsey should be in FM. You CAN'T fire an integral member of the band,unless you're just a crazy, self absorbed b*tch.

I've become a much bigger Eagles fan over the past few years, and I've always tried to figure out who's the bigger As*hole, Don or Glenn? I've watched History of the Eagles a million times now. Don is pompous, but in most of the old footage, Glenn is just a first class PRICK. NOT LIKEABLE AT ALL. ~My personal take~ of it all is that Glenn was VERY jealous that Don became the STAR of the Eagles.....HIS band, and he never learned to deal with it. Glenn mellowed out in the later years, but I'd like to slug him in all of the old videos.

I think your assessment is spot on. Don is just a surly guy in general. Glenn was a complete prick. Even that famous threat/fight on stage with Felder at their last show in 1980, he comes off as such a complete bully/jerk. The swing of the pendulum from Glenn to Don as the 'voice of the band' is why they can still go on with just Don as an original member. I honestly don't know if it would work as well with someone being pulled in to replace Henley's vocals. His voice is too unique and too big a part of many of their main songs.

I did laugh during the documentary about the reunion in 1994 where Don and Glenn both stated they had the main solo careers that sustained interest in the band for 14 years. That's true to a point...but Don's solo career was a LOT more successful than Glenn's. Either way, they f'd over Don Felder. They had a contract to evenly split things. It was the band's way since inception and it was a garbage thing to do after all of those years.

HomerMcvie 06-09-2022 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1275057)
I think your assessment is spot on. Don is just a surly guy in general. Glenn was a complete prick. Even that famous threat/fight on stage with Felder at their last show in 1980, he comes off as such a complete bully/jerk. The swing of the pendulum from Glenn to Don as the 'voice of the band' is why they can still go on with just Don as an original member. I honestly don't know if it would work as well with someone being pulled in to replace Henley's vocals. His voice is too unique and too big a part of many of their main songs.

I did laugh during the documentary about the reunion in 1994 where Don and Glenn both stated they had the main solo careers that sustained interest in the band for 14 years. That's true to a point...but Don's solo career was a LOT more successful than Glenn's. Either way, they f'd over Don Felder. They had a contract to evenly split things. It was the band's way since inception and it was a garbage thing to do after all of those years.

IMO, ANY decent singer can sing Glenn's songs. His voice wasn't that unique. Don however, is irreplaceable. Can you imagine anyone else singing Witchy Woman? It just wouldn't work. When Don is done, it's the end of the Eagles.

And you're right, Henley's solo career was twice as successful as Glenn's.
The Heat Is On? Smuggler's Blues? CHEESEBALL CITY.

Sunset Grill? A.R.T.

UnwindedDreams 06-09-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275061)
IMO, ANY decent singer can sing Glenn's songs. His voice wasn't that unique. Don however, is irreplaceable. Can you imagine anyone else singing Witchy Woman? It just wouldn't work. When Don is done, it's the end of the Eagles.

Sunset Grill? A.R.T.

Has Henley written a hit song without a co-writer?
I feel like it's either been Hornsby, Danny K, or Campbell

David 06-09-2022 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1275062)

Don has written or co-written so many good ones: Sunset Grill, Dirty Laundry, The Boys of Summer, The End of the Innocence, The Heart of the Matter. Glenn wrote one song I really loved — The One You Love — which he sang at the Fleetwood Mac concert in Laguna.

UnwindedDreams 06-09-2022 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1275063)
Don has written or co-written so many good ones: Sunset Grill, Dirty Laundry, The Boys of Summer, The End of the Innocence, The Heart of the Matter. Glenn wrote one song I really loved — The One You Love — which he sang at the Fleetwood Mac concert in Laguna.

New York Minute, Taking You Home, Everything is Different Now, That Old Flame, Last Worthless Evening.

Glenn had it really big with You Belong to the City on the Miami Vice soundtrack. Eagles did it in their live shows. They used to do a lot of solo stuff but now the solo stuff is Joe's songs.

HomerMcvie 06-09-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1275065)
New York Minute, Taking You Home, Everything is Different Now, That Old Flame, Last Worthless Evening.

Glenn had it really big with You Belong to the City on the Miami Vice soundtrack. Eagles did it in their live shows. They used to do a lot of solo stuff but now the solo stuff is Joe's songs.

That's the first thing I noticed when Vince Gill joined. ALL of Henley's solo songs were gone. At least at the two shows I saw(both nights in Nashville).

HomerMcvie 06-09-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1275062)

I think he usually had a co writer. I'd have to dig out the CDs to check, and they're packed away for moving.

jmn3 06-09-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275066)
That's the first thing I noticed when Vince Gill joined. ALL of Henley's solo songs were gone. At least at the two shows I saw(both nights in Nashville).

I saw them a few months ago and Boys of Summer was back in the encore. The first time I saw them with Vince and Deacon, there was no non-Walsh solo stuff. My first time seeing them in 2003, Henley played 4 solo songs, Frey did 1 and Joe did his usual suspects.

jmn3 06-09-2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275061)

Sunset Grill? A.R.T.

The Heat is On is a guilty pleasure of mine! :sorry: Eagles actually had it in the set a bit during the later stages of HFO. Somewhere on YT there’s a crap quality video of it.

But Don’s stuff is infinitely better.

UnwindedDreams 06-09-2022 07:06 PM

Imagine if FM had done LBCM songs at the Irving Azoff Classic concerts in 2017?

HomerMcvie 06-09-2022 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1275068)
I saw them a few months ago and Boys of Summer was back in the encore. The first time I saw them with Vince and Deacon, there was no non-Walsh solo stuff. My first time seeing them in 2003, Henley played 4 solo songs, Frey did 1 and Joe did his usual suspects.

It's funny that that's the one they added back. Because man, does he have a hard time singing it! They dropped the key from F# to E, years ago, and it still kills him trying to sing it. Do you have any of the live shows on DVD? My favorite is Christchurch, NZ. It's pro shot, and I'm sure was probably going to be released. EXCEPT, there was TORRENTIAL RAIN during the entire show. The crowd is sitting miserably in ponchos, getting beaten to death by the rain. Anyway, Don has a rough night on a lot of the high stuff. Timothy was jumping in at the end of 'Boys', trying to help him get through the end of it. He was really struggling that night.

I joined an Eagles forum probably 10 years ago, and some woman sent me about a dozen DVDs. They're not all good. Some have some skipping places, and some are audience shot. But that Christchurch, it's the sh*t!

cbBen 06-12-2022 01:09 AM

I understand Stevie is not Jeremy Spencer, but Spencer plays on just one song on Then Play On (and sings none) while retaining full-fledged membership in the band.

jbrownsjr 06-12-2022 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1275115)
I understand Stevie is not Jeremy Spencer, but Spencer plays on just one song on Then Play On (and sings none) while retaining full-fledged membership in the band.

Do you have a song by song performers list?

I'd love to see that... We know it's Mick and John for drums and Bass. (Unless Brunning is on that album somewhere).

jmn3 06-12-2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275072)
It's funny that that's the one they added back. Because man, does he have a hard time singing it! They dropped the key from F# to E, years ago, and it still kills him trying to sing it. Do you have any of the live shows on DVD? My favorite is Christchurch, NZ. It's pro shot, and I'm sure was probably going to be released. EXCEPT, there was TORRENTIAL RAIN during the entire show. The crowd is sitting miserably in ponchos, getting beaten to death by the rain. Anyway, Don has a rough night on a lot of the high stuff. Timothy was jumping in at the end of 'Boys', trying to help him get through the end of it. He was really struggling that night.

I joined an Eagles forum probably 10 years ago, and some woman sent me about a dozen DVDs. They're not all good. Some have some skipping places, and some are audience shot. But that Christchurch, it's the sh*t!

I believe most of that Christchurch show used to be on YouTubebut is now down to just a few songs. Henley has likely struggled to get BOS right almost since the get go. It works in the lower key me thinks. He admitted on stage that he was sick the night I saw them a few months back. When he talked between songs his voice was horrible and he sounded half dead. While he def wasn’t hitting every note, Boys of Summer sounded great! I think the only song they omitted that night from other set lists around that time was Those Shoes.

jmn3 06-12-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1275071)
Imagine if FM had done LBCM songs at the Irving Azoff Classic concerts in 2017?

Lindsey MAY have been a bit more…um…less annoyed? Lol. Those Classic shows really were such a turning point for Fleetwood Mac. There was little energy put in to doing anything interesting. The band hadn’t been on tour for what, almost two years? Do they try to manifest a new, interesting set? Nope - they just play whatever the set was at the end of 2015. I’d say, add two LBCM songs, and do Stand Back or whatever else she wanted. Mix it up. Do something special. Nah, instead just restart whatever engine you had two years ago.