The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Set list for An Evening With Fleetwood Mac (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58150)

bwboy 10-04-2018 03:00 PM

Set list for An Evening With Fleetwood Mac

The Chain
Little Lies
Second Hand News
Dreams
Say You Love Me
Black Magic Woman- vocals by Stevie
Everywhere
I Got You- vocals by Neil
Rhiannon
Tell Me All the Things You Do- vocals by Neil
Storms
World Turning
Hypnotized
Oh Well- vocals by Mike
Don't Dream It's Over
Landslide
Isn't It Midnight
Monday Morning
You Make Loving Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way

Encores
Free Fallin'- vocals by Stevie
Don't Stop
All Over Again- vocals by Christine and Stevie

SteveMacD 10-04-2018 03:16 PM

I absolutely loved the setlist and the videos make it seem like it was played well, but it’s definitely become more of the Stevie show than I’d like. I don’t dig how she inserted herself into I Got You, DDIO, and All Over Again or insisted they do Free Fallin’ against Mike’s initial wishes. It’s still an interesting show and I’m still curious to see where it goes.

bwboy 10-04-2018 03:17 PM

I know some people wanted new music for this tour, but considering that 9 of these songs are songs FM either hasn't done in 40 years or never done before, that's like having 9 new songs. Black Magic Woman by Stevie?!? Genius. Isn't It Midnight by Christine?!? No one can say that song has worn out it's welcome. Storms?!? Same thing. I'd never heard I Got You so I looked it up and I guess I'm lucky- I love it and can't wait to hear them do it live. I never thought I'd get the opportunity to hear Hypnotized live- very exciting! All Over You and Tell Me All the Things You Do are also like new songs for me, and I imagine, most people who will be in the audience. I'd take deep cuts and cover songs over new songs, at this point. I hated the 4 new songs on the Dance and was bored by a majority of Say You Will, but this set list is so much better than what I anticipated.

Now if only they would swap All Over You with As Long As You Follow, I would completely lose it!

Sugar Mouse 10-04-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1238397)
I know some people wanted new music for this tour, but considering that 9 of these songs are songs FM either hasn't done in 40 years or never done before, that's like having 9 new songs. Black Magic Woman by Stevie?!? Genius. Isn't It Midnight by Christine?!? No one can say that song has worn out it's welcome. Storms?!? Same thing. I'd never heard I Got You so I looked it up and I guess I'm lucky- I love it and can't wait to hear them do it live. I never thought I'd get the opportunity to hear Hypnotized live- very exciting! All Over You and Tell Me All the Things You Do are also like new songs for me, and I imagine, most people who will be in the audience. I'd take deep cuts and cover songs over new songs, at this point. I hated the 4 new songs on the Dance and was bored by a majority of Say You Will, but this set list is so much better than what I anticipated.

Now if only they would swap All Over You with As Long As You Follow, I would completely lose it!

I agree. The set list is wonderful. I also agree that I'd like to see a little less Stevie and little more Christine/Neil but Stevie puts the rears in the seats so I can understand why she's taking a prominent role. "I Got You" is such a great song and I'm surprised but very happy that they added it to the set list. It'll always be an Enz song to me but it's cool to see it reaching a wider audience.

bwboy 10-04-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1238395)
I absolutely loved the setlist and the videos make it seem like it was played well, but it’s definitely become more of the Stevie show than I’d like. I don’t dig how she inserted herself into I Got You, DDIO, and All Over Again or insisted they do Free Fallin’ against Mike’s initial wishes. It’s still an interesting show and I’m still curious to see where it goes.

I'm making a conscious decision to not watch any videos so I can look forward to seeing the show myself, so I can't comment about Stevie inserting herself in the songs you mentioned. However, I was actually concerned she would leave the stage during them, so I'm thrilled she didn't. Reading that All Over Again is like a duet between Christine and Stevie makes me happy! More, please.

I am so thankful they're not performing Stop Dragging My Heart, Need to Know, and Stand Back. Or Songbird and Silver Springs. And I'm shocked they didn't sing Gypsy, after playing it on Ellen. Shocked but happy. A little disappointed they didn't do Man of the World, since Neil and Mike played it live a few months ago.

TimeCastASpell 10-04-2018 04:03 PM

Wasn’t it Lindsey who said or alluded to being tired of playing “Greatest Hits”? So how did we end up finally mixing things up a bit now that he’s gone?

I really like the looks of this setlist. I’m kind of debating the Saturday Chicago show. Wasn’t even on my radar at this point until a friend I turned on to FM messaged me just assuming I’d be there. I feel iffy about giving a band that’s screwed around with my emotions so much so much money (like yikes $230 for a crappy up high side seat to Saturday’s show? Last FM concert I went to was Rosemont on Valentine’s Day a few years back and I could be wrong but could’ve sworn we paid $200ish for floor seats right before the show. I’ve definitely paid less for better seats for other Mac shows so ehhh... I’d have bought my ticket unquestionably the day they went on sale if Lindsey was still with them.). But man I really like the looks of this setlist. Dang it. I feel like I’ve got emotional whiplash over this band lately. Liked what I’ve heard of the current tour in some Instagram clips too. Is there a thread around for people who are waffling on whether to go to this tour? Because shoot am I conflicted. But what a nice setlist. I’m genuinely surprised.

dreamsunwind 10-04-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeCastASpell (Post 1238407)
Wasn’t it Lindsey who said or alluded to being tired of playing “Greatest Hits”? So how did we end up finally mixing things up a bit now that he’s gone?

I'm pretty sure it's because of him being gone that they finally felt they had to change up the set list. I'm sure he would've liked to play some other songs but when they were all together it's not hard to see that they probably would've felt it would be safer and easier to keep with the same old greatest hits. But with him gone, that's such a big change and I think they would've gotten quite a lot of flack if they had just played the same things.

Macfan4life 10-04-2018 05:22 PM

Thanks for posting this as a separate thread which is justified.
I give the set list a solid B.

LOVE: Hypnotized, Black Magic Woman, Isn't it Midnight, Storms. No Gypsy intro, No Stand Back, No SDMHA

Not crazy about: 2 Neil Finn songs (1 was enough), too many Lindsey songs. GYOW was enough.

I do not think All Over Again is a message to Lindsey as some were speculating. Clearly Chris cannot play piano anymore esp on a long tour. She wanted another goodbye love song and picked a good closer. "Turn down the lights, etc"

Nice selections from their long history. At least they dared to do it. Who would have ever guessed Fleetwood Mac would play Bob Welch again. I still cant believe it.

I wish Why was the closer. That would have given the setlist an A.

SteveMacD 10-04-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

I think they were all tired of doing the same Greatest Hits tours, but had vastly different ideas of how to change that. Lindsey wanted to make new music and the others wanted revisit the other eras of the band.

SteveMacD 10-04-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1238400)
I am so thankful they're not performing Stop Dragging My Heart,

I would rather have had that over FF. :sorry:

Quote:

A little disappointed they didn't do Man of the World, since Neil and Mike played it live a few months ago.
Ditto. Maybe it will show up.

In light of All Over Again being in the set, I wonder if Freedom might be considered down the road.

Sugar Mouse 10-04-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1238419)
Thanks for posting this as a separate thread which is justified.
I give the set list a solid B.

LOVE: Hypnotized, Black Magic Woman, Isn't it Midnight, Storms. No Gypsy intro, No Stand Back, No SDMHA

Not crazy about: 2 Neil Finn songs (1 was enough), too many Lindsey songs. GYOW was enough.

I do not think All Over Again is a message to Lindsey as some were speculating. Clearly Chris cannot play piano anymore esp on a long tour. She wanted another goodbye love song and picked a good closer. "Turn down the lights, etc"

Nice selections from their long history. At least they dared to do it. Who would have ever guessed Fleetwood Mac would play Bob Welch again. I still cant believe it.

I wish Why was the closer. That would have given the setlist an A.

Love "Why". And "Dust" should also be in the setlist.

Mr Scarrott 10-04-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse (Post 1238428)
Love "Why". And "Dust" should also be in the setlist.

Imagine replacing the long intro to Why with Dust

When your swift hair is quiet in death
And through the lips corruption
Thrust to still the labour of my breath
When we are dust
When we are dust...
There's no use in crying, it's all over
But I know there'll always be another day
Well my heart will rise up with the morning sun
And the hurt I feel will simply melt away

Just an impossible thought!

elle 10-04-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1238389)
The Chain
Little Lies
Second Hand News
Dreams
Say You Love Me
Everywhere
Rhiannon
Storms
World Turning
Hypnotized
Oh Well- vocals by Mike
Don't Dream It's Over
Landslide
Isn't It Midnight
Monday Morning
You Make Loving Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way

Encores
Don't Stop

wait wait - this is a forum for haters!

y'all i enjoyed looking at the numbers of views on TL sometime today (or last night?) and for once - and first time ever that i've seen - the post-Rumours forum was hopping!!:woohoo: :thumbsup:

so i like the division of Rumours forum being for fans of Classic 5 and dumping on Fakewood when we feel like it, and post-Rumours being for all the FM6 -lovers! :cool:

elle 10-04-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

WI feel iffy about giving a band that’s screwed around with my emotions so much so much money (like yikes $230 for a crappy up high side seat to Saturday’s show?

you should probably wait till the day of the show. people were saying front row Tulsa on Stubhub were down to $100 right before the show yesterday. they were supposedly moving people from the back of the venue upfront because it was so bad.

gldstwmn 10-04-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

I really like the looks of this setlist. I’m kind of debating the Saturday Chicago show. Wasn’t even on my radar at this point until a friend I turned on to FM messaged me just assuming I’d be there. I feel iffy about giving a band that’s screwed around with my emotions so much so much money (like yikes $230 for a crappy up high side seat to Saturday’s show?

Some lucky fans got front row last night for $72. I love ticket drops.

WatchChain 10-04-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1238419)
Clearly Chris cannot play piano anymore esp on a long tour. She wanted another goodbye love song and picked a good closer. "Turn down the lights, etc".

I understand that Chris' hands cannot tickle the ivories like she used to---at 75, none of us will be able to do what we once did. I'm good with that and I LOVE Chris.

However, I would have preferred that the hired hand 2nd keyboard player play "Songbird" on his piano while Christine sat at her keyboard singing the tune. A Fleetwood Mac show should be closed with "Songbird".

Moreover, to replace the traditional "Songbird" show closer with a song from an obscure lackluster album such as "Time" is a bad decision.

Hawkeye 10-04-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1238441)
wait wait - this is a forum for haters!

y'all i enjoyed looking at the numbers of views on TL sometime today (or last night?) and for once - and first time ever that i've seen - the post-Rumours forum was hopping!!:woohoo: :thumbsup:

so i like the division of Rumours forum being for fans of Classic 5 and dumping on Fakewood when we feel like it, and post-Rumours being for all the FM6 -lovers! :cool:

Well, haters and lovers alike need a set list thread! One forum needs it to discuss the positive and negative aspects of their choices and the hating forum needs it as official proof that these sick f**ks actually had the freaking audacity to follow thru on opening the set with The Chain and closing with Go Your Own Way!

SteveMacD 10-04-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye (Post 1238446)
official proof that these sick f**ks actually had the freaking audacity to follow thru on opening the set with The Chain and closing with Go Your Own Way!

Which came as a surprise to nobody…

elle 10-04-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1238397)
I know some people wanted new music for this tour, but considering that 9 of these songs are songs FM either hasn't done in 40 years or never done before, that's like having 9 new songs.

i guess my math is different but you and i can get that sorted out in Canton! :]

i see only 4 songs that were really different in the set:

Hypnotized
Isn't It Midnight
All Over Again

butchering of untouchable classic like Black Magic Woman? that's unforgivable. i'd rather hear it from a different cover band that can actually do it justice. if people who were spitting on Lindsey's versions of Oh Well are now saying this BMW is worth seeing? well in that case we definitely cannot talk music. your ears are calibrated way different then mine, and i had a lot of classic musical education, actually. oh i and people said while his guitar parts were ok Mike's voice on Oh Well was sad to listen to. most comments were - does he ever sing? good thing he didn't try to sing anything else.

i also heard I Got You clip, someone posted it in my fb group. oy wey. man. poor Neil. it's such a great song and sounded so bad yesterday. i'll look for cheap Neil local solo shows and maybe i get to hear it there how it's supposed to sound. i didn't hear DDIO from yesterday but people say that one was even worse. but at least i don't love that one as much as I Got You.

what else did i hear? someone tried to make me listen to some periscope some time last night and i just couldn't my ears were hurting. i did hear a clip of Storms (isn't that Lindsey's favorite SN song? he said something like that in Tusk reissue liner notes i think?), and what made that song live for me were Lindsey's gorgeous harmonies he pulled live in 2009. there was no harmonies. i had to stop listening.

Isn't It Midnight is nowhere near my favorites of Christine-Lindsey co-writes but i would have loved to hear that one from the 2 of them if nothing for Lindsey's guitar solo. maybe next BuckVie tour?

i heard a bit of Tell Me and sounded kinda ok but i don't really know how it's supposed to sound.

i didn't hear Second Hand News or Monday Morning from yesterday, but after hearing SHN from iheart i think Neil can actually sing these 2 specific songs better than current voice Lindsey. his SHN from vegas was a bit too sing-songy but it was a cute cover and he clearly enjoyed it. not as good as Keith Urban's version from Musicares, but not bad. so i suspect those 2 songs are well executed and well received. Go Your Own Way i did see the ending clip from yesterday and that was cringe-worthy. luckily i get to enjoy the real deal before the week's end! :nod:

All Over Again - as usual Christine is the gutsiest one in pulling deep and really deep cuts or rarely played songs. there was Think About Me on the last tour. Hold Me on BuckVie tour (not a deep cut but never played. i'm sure it would have been on this tour if LB was still there). so go Chris!

what else? apparently they let Stevie talk about some Frankenstein or something story and Neil wouldn't play ball with her and she complained that he was ignoring her. :laugh:

Angel75 10-04-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1238452)
what else? apparently they let Stevie talk about some Frankenstein or something story and Neil wouldn't play ball with her and she complained that he was ignoring her. :laugh:

And then she made an ignorant comment about Neil doing the haka....because if she had any clue what that word meant she would know that it is not something he would do despite his nationality.

elle 10-04-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye (Post 1238446)
Well, haters and lovers alike need a set list thread! One forum needs it to discuss the positive and negative aspects of their choices and the hating forum needs it as official proof that these sick f**ks actually had the freaking audacity to follow thru on opening the set with The Chain and closing with Go Your Own Way!

heh true! well all the positives and the cheer-leading i'm guessing are in post-rumours, and i just listed above all what i've heard from yesterday - which i'm sure most will perceive as negative considering i don't see much about versions by this specific cover band that would be of interest to me. i really didn't plan to follow or listen, but we ended up having tons of fun in some group chats so i did get to hear the setlist and some of the clips - so :sorry: y'all know better by now than me holding back my opinions. :laugh:

oh yeah, apparently people were going to restrooms in droves when pre-BN era songs or Split Enz songs were played.

i'm glad this opening night is over now, and we can all go continue enjoy whatever we love in peace.:nod:

StevieandChris 10-04-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

i guess my math is different but you and i can get that sorted out in Canton! :]

Hypnotized
Isn't It Midnight
All Over Again

butchering of untouchable classic like Black Magic Woman? that's unforgivable. i'd rather hear it from a different cover band that can actually do it justice. if people who were spitting on Lindsey's versions of Oh Well are now saying this BMW is worth seeing? well in that case we definitely cannot talk music. your ears are calibrated way different then mine, and i had a lot of classic musical education, actually. oh i and people said while his guitar parts were ok Mike's voice on Oh Well was sad to listen to. most comments were - does he ever sing? good thing he didn't try to sing anything else.

i also heard I Got You clip, someone posted it in my fb group. oy wey. man. poor Neil. it's such a great song and sounded so bad yesterday. i'll look for cheap Neil local solo shows and maybe i get to hear it there how it's supposed to sound. i didn't hear DDIO from yesterday but people say that one was even worse. but at least i don't love that one as much as I Got You.

what else did i hear? someone tried to make me listen to some periscope some time last night and i just couldn't my ears were hurting. i did hear a clip of Storms (isn't that Lindsey's favorite SN song? he said something like that in Tusk reissue liner notes i think?), and what made that song live for me were Lindsey's gorgeous harmonies he pulled live in 2009. there was no harmonies. i had to stop listening.

Isn't It Midnight is nowhere near my favorites of Christine-Lindsey co-writes but i would have loved to hear that one from the 2 of them if nothing for Lindsey's guitar solo. maybe next BuckVie tour?

i heard a bit of Tell Me and sounded kinda ok but i don't really know how it's supposed to sound.

i didn't hear Second Hand News or Monday Morning from yesterday, but after hearing SHN from iheart i think Neil can actually sing these 2 specific songs better than current voice Lindsey. his SHN from vegas was a bit too sing-songy but it was a cute cover and he clearly enjoyed it. not as good as Keith Urban's version from Musicares, but not bad. so i suspect those 2 songs are well executed and well received. Go Your Own Way i did see the ending clip from yesterday and that was cringe-worthy. luckily i get to enjoy the real deal before the week's end! :nod:

All Over Again - as usual Christine is the gutsiest one in pulling deep and really deep cuts or rarely played songs. there was Think About Me on the last tour. Hold Me on BuckVie tour (not a deep cut but never played. i'm sure it would have been on this tour if LB was still there). so go Chris!

Let’s get real: there is no way you would post a positive review even if you truly liked what you heard. :xoxo: :] :D :sorry:

Angel75 10-04-2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieandChris (Post 1238469)
Let’s get real: there is no way you would post a positive review even if you truly liked what you heard. :xoxo: :] :D :sorry:

That's not always the case, I'm very pro Lindsey and I was more impressed with the SetList than I expected to be...I think playing MM, SHN and GYOW was too Lindsey heavy but if they dont play his songs then they dont have enough upbeat songs, hence also including I Got You which I though was a great call.

No one is going to write a positive FM review if they are pro-Lindsey really are they, but most of these comments are not unfair or unreasonable

StevieandChris 10-04-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel75 (Post 1238474)

No one is going to write a positive FM review if they are pro-Lindsey really are they, but most of these comments are not unfair or unreasonable

The first part of this sentence is my point, and I was addressing the specific “reviewer” I was quoting.

elle 10-04-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieandChris (Post 1238469)

let's get real - i actually thought their iheart performance was pretty good, and i said that in the thread in post-rumours about it. and if you read what i wrote above, i thought one of the rare good moments were probably SHN and MM.

but yes, i'm happy that there's nothing that *i" am missing with new FM. and i'm happy that i'll never have to suffer through a SN performance again.

elle 10-04-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

haha StevieandChris you actually quoted my sentences above and then concluded from them that somebody like me will NEVER write anything positive about Lindsey-less show. :laugh::blob2::lol::blob1:

FM77 10-04-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1238444)
Some lucky fans got front row last night for $72. I love ticket drops.

That was a TM ticket drop??

gldstwmn 10-04-2018 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FM77 (Post 1238489)
That was a TM ticket drop??

I'll have to look at the screenshot again. Probably resale. It's been a long and busy day. :lol:

bwboy 10-05-2018 04:23 AM

Quote:

Hypnotized
Isn't It Midnight
All Over Again

The 9 songs I was referring to were the 4 you mentioned, plus Black Magic Woman, Don't Dream It's Over, I Got You, Storms, and Free Fallin'.

I haven't heard any of the audio from the concert, so I can't comment on how the band sounded, but I'm excited about the set list. I don't care for Oh Well, World Turning, BMW, or TMATTYD, but since I've never heard the last 2 live, and I like the idea of switching lead vocals, again, I'm more excited than I would have been. For example, I don't care for Christine's song Why, but if Lindsey sang it live, I would be more interested and curious to hear it than I would have been otherwise. Same thing with BMW. Not sure why anyone spit on Lindsey's version of Oh Well, he did as good a job as anyone else, as far as I was concerned. It's just not a song I like no matter who's singing it. I appreciate your background in music but yeah, we will all have different opinions about music and songs and it doesn't mean one person is right or wrong for liking a song or not. I don't know that Mike sings much, but I saw a video of him singing Free Fallin' and I thought he did a great job... and that's a song I don't care for, and I really hate Stevie's recorded version, so I doubt I'll like her live version.

I noticed FM never performed Isn't It Midnight when Lindsey and Christine toured with the band, or on the Buck/Vie tour, so I wonder if maybe he doesn't particularly care for that song live? Although I'm sure if Christine really wanted to sing it, they would have, I just thought it was interesting.

I am extremely excited to see FM in early November and LB in late November! This is an incredible and unbelievable opportunity to see 2 great concerts in a short period of time. I really am not much of a concert goer at all, I've probably only seen 10 different artists in my lifetime, but FM is a band I've seen 4 other times, and I imagine this will be my last time seeing them.

Buster 10-05-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1238506)
The 9 songs I was referring to were the 4 you mentioned, plus Black Magic Woman, Don't Dream It's Over, I Got You, Storms, and Free Fallin'.

I haven't heard any of the audio from the concert, so I can't comment on how the band sounded, but I'm excited about the set list. I don't care for Oh Well, World Turning, BMW, or TMATTYD, but since I've never heard the last 2 live, and I like the idea of switching lead vocals, again, I'm more excited than I would have been. For example, I don't care for Christine's song Why, but if Lindsey sang it live, I would be more interested and curious to hear it than I would have been otherwise. Same thing with BMW. Not sure why anyone spit on Lindsey's version of Oh Well, he did as good a job as anyone else, as far as I was concerned. It's just not a song I like no matter who's singing it. I appreciate your background in music but yeah, we will all have different opinions about music and songs and it doesn't mean one person is right or wrong for liking a song or not. I don't know that Mike sings much, but I saw a video of him singing Free Fallin' and I thought he did a great job... and that's a song I don't care for, and I really hate Stevie's recorded version, so I doubt I'll like her live version.

I noticed FM never performed Isn't It Midnight when Lindsey and Christine toured with the band, or on the Buck/Vie tour, so I wonder if maybe he doesn't particularly care for that song live? Although I'm sure if Christine really wanted to sing it, they would have, I just thought it was interesting.

I am extremely excited to see FM in early November and LB in late November! This is an incredible and unbelievable opportunity to see 2 great concerts in a short period of time. I really am not much of a concert goer at all, I've probably only seen 10 different artists in my lifetime, but FM is a band I've seen 4 other times, and I imagine this will be my last time seeing them.

Great post and great attitude. I have no interest in seeing this version of FM but I get where you are coming from. Have fun at both shows.

David 10-05-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1238445)
I understand that Chris' hands cannot tickle the ivories like she used to---at 75, none of us will be able to do what we once did.

The idea that Christine can't play piano at all anymore is becoming a meme, and it's been way overstated. I hope I didn't add to that perception because it was never what I meant. Your statement here is the fact on the ground. She still plays—she just doesn't play as much or as flexibly. She blues solos a bit on Black Magic Woman during the concert, even though it's subdued and carries a hint of aching joints. (Whether they actually ache is beside the point—she now plays as if it hurt a bit to play.)

Quote:

A Fleetwood Mac show should be closed with "Songbird".

Moreover, to replace the traditional "Songbird" show closer with a song from an obscure lackluster album such as "Time" is a bad decision.
It's a tradition, sure. But this band, despite its recent reputation for being stolid in its live shows, has certainly demolished many traditions by swapping out members. We've all talked about how this band feels like a different band, so dumping Songbird feels like just another small casualty of changing times. Besides, for my part, I'm all for wrenching traditions out like rotten teeth. I like going "WHOA" at concerts. I hate listening to Rhiannon at concerts.

Why keep competing with your younger, more energetic, more capable selves? Why not play to your strengths now—whatever they are? (I guess you'd have to identify them first.)

jwd 10-05-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1238389)
The Chain
Little Lies
Second Hand News
Dreams
Say You Love Me
Everywhere
Rhiannon
Storms
World Turning
Hypnotized
Oh Well- vocals by Mike
Don't Dream It's Over
Landslide
Isn't It Midnight
Monday Morning
You Make Loving Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way

Encores
Don't Stop

I like it. Always good to hear different songs performed in concert. Albeit not "new songs", at least it offers something refreshing. With FM releasing the 50 yrs package it does touch on all eras of the band with the exception of BTM. No love for Rick and Billy. But overall it does capsulize the history rather well. I'd be more excited and enticed to see them on this tour under different circumstances. High ticket prices and shoddy treatment of a longstanding and highly important contributor of the band will keep me away. No, I'm not talking about Bob Welch.

Neal 10-05-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1238421)
I think they were all tired of doing the same Greatest Hits tours, but had vastly different ideas of how to change that. Lindsey wanted to make new music and the others wanted revisit the other eras of the band.

My partner (half the fan I am) has been loosely following the drama, and asked about the set list after seeing it online; I told him pretty much the same thing. These 5 just can't get on the same page... and haven't been able to for years.

That said, I love this set list (although I'd take "Stand Back" or "SDMHA" over any of Finn's songs)!!! I'm just afraid "Isn't It Midnight" is going to be dropped by the time we see them in November... :distress:

SteveMacD 10-05-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1238583)
With FM releasing the 50 yrs package it does touch on all eras of the band with the exception of BTM.

Oddly, I half expected “Freedom” to be in the set.

Quote:

High ticket prices and shoddy treatment of a longstanding and highly important contributor of the band will keep me away. No, I'm not talking about Bob Welch.
Billy was in the band even longer…

jwd 10-05-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1238587)
Billy was in the band even longer…

I'm more of a Bob fan than a Billy one. Give me "Hypnotized", "Sentimental Lady", and "Future Games" to name a few as opposed to...........I'm thinking.....I'll get back to you Steve.........

SteveMacD 10-05-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1238592)
I'm more of a Bob fan than a Billy one. Give me "Hypnotized", "Sentimental Lady", and "Future Games" to name a few as opposed to...........I'm thinking.....I'll get back to you Steve.........

“In The Back Of My Mind,” “Do You Know,” “When The Sun Goes Down,” and “Talkin’ To My Heart” were pretty great. But I was just being tongue and cheek.

Buster 10-05-2018 04:59 PM

I appreciate that they didn’t do Songbird. Unlike opening with The Chain, closing with GYOW, and having Finn sing MM and SHN, it acknowledges that it’s a different band and somehow seems more respectful.

Take home message for me about the setlist is Christine was more empowered or empowered herself. She had the most interesting and creative selections.

jwd 10-05-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1238599)
“In The Back Of My Mind,” “Do You Know,” “When The Sun Goes Down,” and “Talkin’ To My Heart” were pretty great. But I was just being tongue and cheek.

Haha, I do like those songs, but not just not quite as much!

bwboy 10-05-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster (Post 1238525)
Great post and great attitude. I have no interest in seeing this version of FM but I get where you are coming from. Have fun at both shows.

Thanks Buster :thumbsup:

Will you be seeing Lindsey this tour?

Mr Scarrott 10-05-2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster (Post 1238615)
I appreciate that they didn’t do Songbird. Unlike opening with The Chain, closing with GYOW, and having Finn sing MM and SHN, it acknowledges that it’s a different band and somehow seems more respectful.

Take home message for me about the setlist is Christine was more empowered or empowered herself. She had the most interesting and creative selections.

Opener: The Chain

And if, you don't love me now
You will never love me again
I can still hear you saying
You would never break the chain (never break the chain)

Closer: All over again

Well it's it's time to move on to the rain
And finally break the chain
In spite of the heartaches
And troubles in love
I'd do it all over (do it all over)
Do it all over again

The chain's unbroken, at least while the band's playing. Bravo to Christine for an inspired way to end the show. 23 years for a live debut. That's quite a wait.