The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rename the White Album with a title track (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59375)

DownOnRodeo 10-18-2021 04:45 PM

Rename the White Album with a title track

Tusk has Tusk, Tango in the Night has Tango in the Night, and Say You Will has Say You Will. (And yes, Mystery to Me has Mystery to Me etc.)

But the White Album, Rumours, and Mirage do not have title tracks.

Which tracks would you choose to rename these albums as?
Let's start with the White Album (Fleetwood Mac, 1975).

There is a limit of 10 options per poll but 11 tracks on the White Album.
I have arbitrarily decided to omit Blue Letter as it was not penned by the band members.

Note: This is not a "favorite song" poll.

David 10-18-2021 05:34 PM

I used a process of elimination.

Monday Morning is an irrelevant name for an album.
Warm Ways is a creepy name for an album.
Rhiannon is irrelevant and creepy.
Crystal is really confusing because, as a metaphor, it’s a tenor without a vehicle.
Say You Love Me sounds a little demanding.
Landslide is prescient, given the band’s big success, but may be construed as a microaggression.
I’m So Afraid triggers all manner of neurotic sensations.
Over My Head is just barely interesting as an album title, but a band trying to rebrand itself may not want to announce that it’s in over its head.

World Turning is the only possible choice. It also sounds nice in relation to the string of album titles: World Turning > Rumours > Tusk > Mirage > Tango in the Night

I would have followed the Rumours and Mirage model and named the album something distinct from any of the song titles and that encapsulated the group’s new ties to the West Coast: El Lay

jbrownsjr 10-18-2021 06:00 PM

Sugar Daddy would have been so confusing. Especially with 3 men and two women. :lol:

bwboy 10-18-2021 07:03 PM

I went with Crystal, mainly because it goes well with Rumours, Tusk, and Mirage.

HomerMcvie 10-18-2021 09:01 PM

David is right. World Turning is the only choice.

aleuzzi 10-18-2021 10:49 PM

World Turning implies forward movement while also alluding to the band’s initial iteration. If the album was named after a song, it would have best been that one.

Crystal sounds pretty but wouldn’t stand a chance, as it was originally a BN song from two years prior—and because, as David pointed out, there is no obvious source for the metaphor.

I’m glad the album is self-titled. It fits the mythology of rebirth.

HomerMcvie 10-18-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1270250)
World Turning implies forward movement while also alluding to the band’s initial iteration. If the album was named after a song, it would have best been that one.

Crystal sounds pretty but wouldn’t stand a chance, as it was originally a BN song from two years prior—and because, as David pointed out, there is no obvious source for the metaphor.

I’m glad the album is self-titled. It fits the mythology of rebirth.

Crystal is far too hippy dippy. I'm sure that would have been stevie's choice. It would work now, but not then.

Macfan4life 10-19-2021 05:17 AM

Say You Love Me

Its the lead track off the second side so its placement is perfect. It also is a premonition for Say You Will many years later :)

jbrownsjr 10-19-2021 07:30 AM

I chose World Turning. Also agree with David's take.

BLY 10-19-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270263)
I chose World Turning. Also agree with David's take.

Same…also good pick for a “new lineup”

jbrownsjr 10-19-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1270269)
Same…also good pick for a “new lineup”

Welch left and they needed to "get their feet up off the ground"! :D

David 10-19-2021 02:29 PM

I’ve changed my mind. Haha, no, just kidding.

What if we had to find a title that wasn’t a song title?

Orange Grove
Rockhopper
Easy Listening (or This Summer’s Easy Listening Classic)
Goosebumps
Sound City or Bust
El Lay (or Century Boulevard)
English Rose and California Poppy (get it?)

Macfan4life 10-19-2021 04:26 PM

How about Stephanie. Since Lindsey never cared for titles and Stevie suggested his song be named Stephanie. Its only fair that the lead singer of the band get to name the album.

DownOnRodeo 10-19-2021 06:16 PM

Who's to say what's right?

Say You Love Me was my second choice.
The song was an instant hit and it can be read as the new lineup saying "Say you'll love us."
I had thought it would sound too similar to "Say You Will", but Macfan4life is right--there would be a nice symmetry in having the debut album called Say You'll Love Me and then the reboot album decades later called Say You Will (Give Me One More Chance).

It's interesting to see Crystal getting so many votes.
It is both snappy and evocative.
But will it remain ageless with the love that has finally found it?
Or will it be driven over the mountains into the sea?

I trusted my first, initial feeling and voted for World Turning.
The name calls back to earlier FM but also connotes "revolution". The song itself is a calling card to the new sound of bluegrass influences and the Buckingham McVie writing/singing dynamic.

David 10-20-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1270277)
It's interesting to see Crystal getting so many votes.
It is both snappy and evocative.
But will it remain ageless with the love that has finally found it?
Or will it be driven over the mountains into the sea?

Do you want me to order you a whiskey sour? You need a drink!!

jbrownsjr 10-20-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1270276)
How about Stephanie. Since Lindsey never cared for titles and Stevie suggested his song be named Stephanie. Its only fair that the lead singer of the band get to name the album.

How about he names it Stepanie, and she changes the album title to Rhinannon? How about that!

Macfan4life 10-20-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270281)
How about he names it Stepanie, and she changes the album title to Rhinannon? How about that!

Only on 2 conditions:
she writes in cursive writing on the cover "this is a story about a Welsh witch"
and she wears fangs on the back cover bathroom photo

jbrownsjr 10-20-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1270282)
Only on 2 conditions:
she writes in cursive writing on the cover "this is a story about a Welsh witch"
and she wears fangs on the back cover bathroom photo

Three. Also, she gives a speech on all four sides of the lyrics fold out sheet, as to why she and Karen changed Lindsey's choice.

SteveMacD 10-21-2021 12:49 AM

"Over My Head" because of everything they went through in 1974. Suddenly, they were managing themselves after their manager put a fake band on tour, but somehow became a top 40 band living in Los Angeles with "Heroes..."

So, the title "Over My Head" with the "but it sure feels nice" tagline seems especially apropos.

Macfan4life 10-21-2021 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1270297)
"Over My Head" because of everything they went through in 1974. Suddenly, they were managing themselves after their manager put a fake band on tour, but somehow became a top 40 band living in Los Angeles with "Heroes..."

So, the title "Over My Head" with the "but it sure feels nice" tagline seems especially apropos.

Welcome back brother.

Macfan4life 10-21-2021 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270283)
Three. Also, she gives a speech on all four sides of the lyrics fold out sheet, as to why she and Karen changed Lindsey's choice.

btw, the reason I mentioned the fangs was because someone said here or another board that the photo of Stevie on the White album looks like a young Ozzy Osbourne. Ozzy always had fangs on his early 80s album covers.
Just putting it in context.

jbrownsjr 10-21-2021 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1270297)

Welcome Back! Go Bengals!

jbrownsjr 10-21-2021 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1270303)
btw, the reason I mentioned the fangs was because someone said here or another board that the photo of Stevie on the White album looks like a young Ozzy Osbourne. Ozzy always had fangs on his early 80s album covers.
Just putting it in context.

I am familiar with Ozzy and Goat's look, as well as the fang story. :lol:

Villavic 10-21-2021 09:20 AM

I chose World Turning too. That album was kind of a turning point. Of course they didn't know that at the moment they chose the title, but it would be a cool name anyway.

On Ice 10-22-2021 01:43 PM

World Turning is the only one that really fits as an album title. I still like that the album was self titled though and wouldn't change a thing, other than maybe one more Nicks song on side two- Sorcerer would be an instant fav. would've been killer done by the band complete with the banjo.

jbrownsjr 10-22-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On Ice (Post 1270337)
World Turning is the only one that really fits as an album title. I still like that the album was self titled though and wouldn't change a thing, other than maybe one more Nicks song on side two- Sorcerer would be an instant fav. would've been killer done by the band complete with the banjo.

Gonna sound strange coming from me, but I always felt that "The White album" and tour needed one more Nicks' song.

aleuzzi 10-22-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270342)
Gonna sound strange coming from me, but I always felt that "The White album" and tour needed one more Nicks' song.

It felt that way to me, too—because I approached the album from a point of history. I’d heard Rumours, Tusk, and Mirage before I heard the white album in full. I was accustomed to more Stevie presence. We’d have to interview ChilD (he still around?) and others who came to the album after enjoying the Bob Welch years…

I did always wonder why she didn’t figure more prominently in the mix on “I’m So Afraid” and “Crystal.” And to this day I wish the band had decided on “Frozen Love,” no matter how stunning Christine’s organ work is on Crystal.

aleuzzi 10-22-2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On Ice (Post 1270337)

Sorcerer would have totally rocked.

SteveMacD 10-22-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270342)

They briefly did Frozen Love in 1975.

What was cool is they also did Jumpin’ At Shadows with Christine on vocals.

ETA: Stevie’s vocals could be hit or miss on the 1975 tour. Maybe she wanted fewer leads.

Macfan4life 10-23-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1270349)

ETA: Stevie’s vocals could be hit or miss on the 1975 tour. Maybe she wanted fewer leads.

I just dont understand why during the big tours without Christine, they did not do Frozen Love or I Dont Want To Know or other Buck/Nicks tracks. It was the perfect time to do them since they were fronting the band.

jbrownsjr 10-24-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1270349)

I've heard Christine do that version of Jumpin' it's fantastic. Great key work. However, the recording quality is fair/poor.

michelej1 10-24-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1270363)
I just dont understand why during the big tours without Christine, they did not do Frozen Love or I Dont Want To Know or other Buck/Nicks tracks. It was the perfect time to do them since they were fronting the band.

Collectively, they aren't very bright.

We always say that, as musicians, the sum is greater than the parts.

But as a brain, the five of them together are dumber than the five of them are individually.

michelej1 10-24-2021 03:02 PM

I became a fan after the White Album, so I did not think of it really as an album, the way I do the others. I did not even purchase it until 4 years after its release. I thought of it mostly for its singles. The result was I didn't notice there was less Stevie.

Macfan4life 10-24-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1270376)
Collectively, they aren't very bright.

We always say that, as musicians, the sum is greater than the parts.

But as a brain, the five of them together are dumber than the five of them are individually.

True
They are just so darn ritualistic with their sets. Maybe Lindsey and Stevie were not getting along and were in no mood for that kind of stuff. But I suppose they stick to the ritualistic Mac stuff to please the masses. They played Stand Back on those tours and stuck to the stuff the casual fans know who filled the arenas. It would have been wonderful to have Crystal, I Dont Want To Know and Frozen Love in the set or even Dont Let Me Down Again.