The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mystery To Me Survivor: Rounds 1-2 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=21331)

macfan 57 08-01-2005 06:12 AM

Mystery To Me Survivor: Rounds 1-2

Since we've already had survivors for Bare Trees & Penguin, I thought we would try one for Mystery To Me. This album seems to be a favorite of quite a few pre-Rumours line-up fans & even a few Buckingham/Nicks fans as well. I'm biased, but I think Mystery To Me is the best Fleetwood Mac album ever.

Here are the general rules, so to speak. I'll add up the votes each morning when I first log on to the Ledge. If there's a tie, I'll leave it open until someone breaks the tie. There will be no immunity questions, just vote your least favorite song off.

Here are the songs:

Emerald Eyes
Believe Me
Just Crazy Love
Hypnotized
Forever
Keep On Going
The City
Miles Away
Somebody
The Way I Feel
For Your Love
Why

GateandGarden 08-01-2005 06:51 AM

Round 1- For Your Love

Yay! :blob1: :blob2:

Okay, I'm voting for "For Your Love" because it's the only song on the album that I never have liked.

ThePenguin 08-01-2005 07:17 AM

'Somebody' needs to go.

-Lis

macfan 57 08-01-2005 09:26 AM

Miles Away

I like Miles Away, but something's got to go first.

chiliD 08-01-2005 09:51 AM

Round 1: The Way I Feel

If there even comes CLOSE to a weak spot on this album, "The Way I Feel" is it...but that is only by close scrutiny & default. This album is just TOO good...there's no way that this "Survivor" is going to end on a good note; I fear the fall-out. :shrug:

wondergirl9847 08-01-2005 10:28 AM

Round 1: The City

Just don't care for this song, but it's probably the only one, so that's pretty dang good.

Hippocampus 08-01-2005 11:15 AM

Round 1 - The Way I Feel

Not a favorite.

jbrownsjr 08-01-2005 11:40 AM

For Your Love

Wow this is hard. I love this album.

Mari 08-01-2005 12:02 PM

round 1: Somebody

Yay! This will be a great survivor :woohoo:

"Somebody" just irritates me.

shackin'up 08-01-2005 02:09 PM

for your love

because it's a cover that is nothing more than "coming close" to the original.

PS: I ADORE the City!!!!

face of glass 08-01-2005 04:14 PM

Round & Round #1: "The Way I Feel".

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
I think Mystery To Me is the best Fleetwood Mac album ever.

Of the 1970-1974 years I think Bare Trees is superior, and Heroes Are Hard To Find is on par.

SteveMacD 08-01-2005 04:41 PM

I can't conceal that I don't really like The Way I Feel.

chiliD 08-01-2005 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by face of glass
Of the 1970-1974 years I think Bare Trees is superior, and Heroes Are Hard To Find is on par.

:eek: No way Bare Trees is superior (IMHO) :shrug: ...it has "Thoughts On A Grey Day" that excludes it, right there. :)

Plus, Mystery To Me has 3 more songs of higher quality than anything on Bare Trees...mo' music, mo' music, mo' music. :nod:

SteveMacD 08-01-2005 05:06 PM

I guess, for me, the vibe of Bare Trees is so different from Mystery To Me. I couldn't imagine living without Sunny Side Of Heaven, Sentimental Lady, Spare Me A Little, Dust, Emerald Eyes, Believe Me, Hypnotized, Miles Away, and Why. OTOH, I COULD live without Danny's Chant, Thoughts On A Grey Day, The City, and The Way I Feel. I will say that these are the two best from the Welch years, BY FAR.

GateandGarden 08-01-2005 05:06 PM

I can't believe there are people who don't like "The Way I Feel"! :eek:

And Mary Anne, what on earth are you doing trying to vote off like, the third best song on the album in the first round??? :eek:

:sorry:

chiliD 08-01-2005 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I couldn't imagine living without Sunny Side Of Heaven, Sentimental Lady, Spare Me A Little, Dust, Emerald Eyes, Believe Me, Hypnotized, Miles Away, and Why. OTOH, I COULD live without Danny's Chant, Thoughts On A Grey Day, The City, and The Way I Feel. I will say that these are the two best from the Welch years, BY FAR.

:shrug: I agree with ya about 95%. I like "The City" & "Danny's Chant"...a lot.

SteveMacD 08-01-2005 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GateandGarden

It really does nothing for me. :sorry: It's dull, and the lyrics are very trite. Not Christine's best, especially on an album with "Believe Me" and "Why."

macfan 57 08-01-2005 06:01 PM

Quote:

I know. :nod: I LOVE "The Way I Feel". I think it's a beautiful song. It's my second favorite Chris song on the album.

Quote:

And Mary Anne, what on earth are you doing trying to vote off like, the third best song on the album in the first round??? :eek:

:sorry:

Actually it was pretty close for me between "Miles Away" & "Somebody". I think those are Bob's 2 weakest songs on the album, relatively speaking. ;) I really hate voting anything off from this album.

chiliD 08-01-2005 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
I really hate voting anything off from this album.

Which was my point way back at the beginning. :shrug: ;)

CreepingDeath 08-01-2005 06:06 PM

Round 1: The Way I Feel

This is going to be difficult. I adore Mystery To Me.

jbrownsjr 08-01-2005 06:07 PM

I love Christine's piano on "The City" very rapid and a bluesy style to her chord punching

GateandGarden 08-01-2005 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD
It really does nothing for me. :sorry: It's dull, and the lyrics are very trite. Not Christine's best, especially on an album with "Believe Me" and "Why."

It's not as good as those you mentioned, IMO, so I'll easily give you that. About the lyrics being trite...I think a lot of her lyrics are trite but I hardly ever care because of her performances and the music and how they both move me. Two of my faves are "Everywhere" and "Only Over You" and I think they have trite lyrics but I don't care. On another, sort of unrelated note, some of Stevie's trite lyrics really bother me. Go figure. :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_fan57
Actually it was pretty close for me between "Miles Away" & "Somebody". I think those are Bob's 2 weakest songs on the album, relatively speaking. I really hate voting anything off from this album.

Okay, look--all will be forgiven if "Why" wins. Now, I don't care if "Why" technically wins or not. You are the host of this survivor so you have the power to declare "Why" the winner regardless of how the voting goes. (This was stated in a special clause in the rules that for some reason was omitted when you posted the rules but that post can be edited to include it :shrug: ). It's all on you. :laugh: ;)

face of glass 08-02-2005 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
:eek: No way Bare Trees is superior (IMHO) :shrug: ...it has "Thoughts On A Grey Day" that excludes it, right there. :)

"TOAGD" is two minutes long, to me it's pretty harmless and it's also at the end so it can be skipped anytime.
In my book Bare Trees benefits from its extra diversity, having three actively participating songwriters. Plus Danny and Chris (albeit just having two songs on the album herself) are at the top of their games, and it features a Welch classic in "Sentimental Lady" which is on par to his one Mystery To Me classic, "Hypnotized", IMO.

macfan 57 08-02-2005 05:50 AM

Quote:

Okay, look--all will be forgiven if "Why" wins. Now, I don't care if "Why" technically wins or not. You are the host of this survivor so you have the power to declare "Why" the winner regardless of how the voting goes. (This was stated in a special clause in the rules that for some reason was omitted when you posted the rules but that post can be edited to include it :shrug: ). It's all on you. :laugh: ;)

Oh, Okay Hillary. I'll remember that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

macfan 57 08-02-2005 05:59 AM

Sadly, one of my favorites "The Way I Feel" is gone. :( It just barely beat out "For Your Love" 5 votes to 4.

The Way I Feel-5
For Your Love-4
Somebody-2
Miles Away-1
The City-1

Here are the remaining songs for Round 2:

Emerald Eyes
Believe Me
Just Crazy Love
Hypnotized
Forever
Keep On Going
The City
Miles Away
Somebody
For Your Love
Why

GateandGarden 08-02-2005 06:01 AM

Round 2- "For Your Love"

ontheEdgeof17 08-02-2005 07:39 AM

Round 1 (I mean Round 2): The City

GateandGarden 08-02-2005 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Round 1: The City

Dude, round 1's over! :laugh: :wavey:

ontheEdgeof17 08-02-2005 07:56 AM

Quote:

Dude, round 1's over! :laugh: :wavey:

GAWD! See what working 4 12 hr midnight shifts does to your brain?!?! I will just change that to round two.

...and no one has called me dude before. :p

GateandGarden 08-02-2005 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
...and no one has called me dude before. :p

I'm weird like that.

Mari 08-02-2005 09:36 AM

round 2: somebody

Sorry to see The Way i Feel gone :( Oh well, Why is going to win anyway :laugh:

shackin'up 08-02-2005 10:18 AM

2 for your love

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari
Sorry to see The Way i Feel gone :(

Yes. These games are NEVER satisfying: :shrug: why do we play them?

:woohoo:

Hippocampus 08-02-2005 12:02 PM

Round 2 - For Your Love

I would give the stars above?

jbrownsjr 08-02-2005 01:05 PM

For Your Love

if it were mine to give

Mari 08-02-2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up
Yes. These games are NEVER satisfying: :shrug: why do we play them?

:woohoo:

Because my initials are SM, I guess. :woohoo:

Hawkeye 08-02-2005 02:22 PM

Round 2- Forever

Somebody's almost the best song on here. I cant beleive in two rounds no one's voted for this album's one weak link.

SteveMacD 08-02-2005 03:01 PM

Forever. I agree with Hawkeye.

macfan 57 08-02-2005 03:07 PM

Round 2: Somebody

I'll go with Somebody this round. It looks like "For Your Love" may go this round. I think it's a very good cover of the Yardbirds original. I LOVE "Forever". It's so relaxed & laid back.

face of glass 08-02-2005 03:08 PM

Round & Round #2: "The City".

Tappity tap.

GateandGarden 08-02-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Somebody's almost the best song on here. I cant beleive in two rounds no one's voted for this album's one weak link.

I'm really fond of "Somebody," but "Forever"'s my third fave song on the album. It's always weird for me to see which ones you like because I never know what to expect from you. Others are more predictable. What do you think about "For Your Love"? I just don't like the song, period, so of course I don't care for Bob's cover.