The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WW or OO? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59367)

Villavic 10-02-2021 11:45 AM

WW or OO?

Not including my fave songs among her popular hits, these are my 2 favorite Christine songs. Between those 2, which one do you like the most?

Macfan4life 10-02-2021 11:49 AM

I hate when people split hairs on this board and try and have it both ways but this puts me in their camp ;)

Warm Ways - album version
Over and Over - live version

Sorry :(

TrueFaith77 10-02-2021 01:33 PM

Over & Over is Christine’s best song

BLY 10-02-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1270050)
I hate when people split hairs on this board and try and have it both ways but this puts me in their camp ;)

Warm Ways - album version
Over and Over - live version

Sorry :(

I agree! Yep!

vivfox 10-02-2021 03:49 PM

I always play Warm Ways first whenever I listen to the White album. I was never a big fan of O&O. I don't hate it but I usually skip it. Not that you asked but the only song I dislike on Tusk is Never Make Me Cry.

HomerMcvie 10-02-2021 03:55 PM

Over and Over. Hands down, no contest.

Warm Ways sounds very dated.

Macfan4life 10-02-2021 05:16 PM

Warm Ways is very........how should I say.......warm ;)

It actually was the first single released from the White Album in the UK. I love Lindsey's acoustic guitar and Chris's dreamy organ. Its probably one of Chris's most romantic songs and that says a lot since most of her songs are romantic.

I dont hate Over and Over but the studio track is just meh IMHO. Live on stage its a beast. Oddly enough, the live version has the passion that the studio track lacks. The coldness of TUSK sort of ruined the song IMHO. However most people here make this "coldness" claim about Say You Will so I am giving it right back to you ;)

HomerMcvie 10-02-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1270056)
Warm Ways is very........how should I say.......warm ;)

It actually was the first single released from the White Album in the UK. I love Lindsey's acoustic guitar and Chris's dreamy organ. Its probably one of Chris's most romantic songs and that says a lot since most of her songs are romantic.

I dont hate Over and Over but the studio track is just meh IMHO. Live on stage its a beast. Oddly enough, the live version has the passion that the studio track lacks. The coldness of TUSK sort of ruined the song IMHO. However most people here make this "coldness" claim about Say You Will so I am giving it right back to you ;)

Don't be hating on the Over and Overs, Karen! :wavey:

BLY 10-02-2021 07:40 PM

Listen to both tracks on 5.1 surround sound. It will be a tie….Buckingham magic.

DownOnRodeo 10-03-2021 12:28 AM

Don't let me down

Over & Over has long been one of my top FM tracks.
Certainly down tempo and deceptively simple, but the music and vocals are rich, crisp and lush, with that killer structure at the end (ramped up in the Live version but still magical in the studio version).
What can I do to keep you aroun-oun-ound....oooh... over and over...

Sublime and hypnotic, like Sara.
And one of Christine's most honed lyrics.

Whereas the pretty and delicate Warm Ways lulls me into a deep slumber, Over & Over starts by mesmerizing me with its plodding plaintiveness before launching me toward a desperate and furious crescendo.

Macfan4life 10-03-2021 09:57 AM

The musical track of Warm Ways is much better than Over and Over (studio). Mick's soft drumming, Chris's organ, John's thumping and Lindsey's dreamy guitar make it sound like it could have appeared on Bare Trees, Mystery To Me, or Heroes. Its vintage Fleetwood Mac sounding like Sugar Daddy and Over My Head on the White Album. The music track to Over and Over is good but fairly basic and you dont get that dreamy Fleetwood Mac sound. Even the Beatles used to call one of their mystical sounding songs their "Fleetwood Mac song."
Its this sound that attracts me to the song. Its a little dramatic with the lyrics that probably only Christine can pull off ...."You made me a woman tonight" OMG John must have been some lover when the bottles weren't flying across the room :eek:

The harmonies on Warm Ways are some of the Mac's best. Best of the White Album for sure. Too many reasons to count why Warm Ways is better than Over and Over (studio vs studio). Sorry Homer. That moderator that banned you for correcting the spelling of Lindsey's name is starting to appeal to me :lol: :lol:
;)

vivfox 10-03-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1270058)
Listen to both tracks on 5.1 surround sound.

Yeah like we all have a 5.1 system available??:]

vivfox 10-03-2021 10:17 AM

A few years ago with the White album new release we got a new remix of Warm Ways. Mick's drumming is enhanced here and at first I was taken aback because it transformed my soft lullaby song into a soft rock song but after a few listens I ended up really liking it.

BLY 10-03-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1270061)
Yeah like we all have a 5.1 system available??:]

Sorry…I meant for the folks that do. I wish those 5.1 versions were standard.

aleuzzi 10-03-2021 11:30 PM

It’s hard to say which is better. For me, they both occupy the same level of quality and are both sung very well. I suppose “Over and Over” has a slightly catchier chorus and a wonderful outro. But “Warm Ways” has more interesting chords and a more coherent lyric. It’s also (I think) the only McVie song from 1975-88 that is written in B-flat. By her own admission, McVie avoids “black note” key signatures for technical reasons.

“Warm Ways” seems like a cross between “Prove Your Love” and “Show Me a Smile.” It’s at once simple and sophisticated, sexy yet homely. “Over and Over” walks a similar line and manages to be both evocative and plainspoken.

jbrownsjr 10-04-2021 08:06 AM

I really love both songs. Very difficult choice. I choose Warm Ways because it simply puts me at peace when I listen to it. It's a beautiful tranquil song right after Monday Morning. I love Over and Over, too. :)

sue 10-04-2021 09:01 AM

I like both songs very much.
Having to choose is difficult but I prefer OO.
I’ve just listened to both and I like the way OO washes over you.
Plus I will now be singing it all afternoon…it really stays in my head.

mitzo 10-04-2021 02:17 PM

OO has that thumping plodding low end that bugs me. An otherwise marvellous song but that feature of the production makes it seem dumb. WW is sweet as pie, though.

David 10-04-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1270056)

I voted “Over and Over.” To me, “Warm Ways” veers a little too close to Captain and Tennille (think “Muskrat Love” or “Do That to Me One More Time”). A little too AM for me, perhaps? Maybe it would have worked better for me as an instrumental, like “Albatross” or “Sunny Side of Heaven.”

Quote:

I dont hate Over and Over but the studio track is just meh IMHO. Live on stage its a beast. Oddly enough, the live version has the passion that the studio track lacks.
Bummer that it got played live only on the Tusk Tour. Why didn’t she ever bring it back? Must have been played a bit during the first month, then dropped in favor of “Oh Daddy” for the rest of the winter and spring, and brought back again for August.

A handful of songs got played on that tour that never again got played, group or solo:
  • Over and Over
  • Save Me a Place
  • What Makes You Think You’re the One
  • That’s Enough for Me

Neil Finn should have taken a crack at “What Makes You Think You’re the One.” Imagine him spazzing out and screaming and cackling maniacally — and pointing accusingly at Stevie.

elle 10-04-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1270073)
A handful of songs got played on that tour that never again got played, group or solo:
  • Over and Over
  • Save Me a Place
  • What Makes You Think You’re the One
  • That’s Enough for Me

Neil Finn should have taken a crack at “What Makes You Think You’re the One.” Imagine him spazzing out and screaming and cackling maniacally — and pointing accusingly at Stevie.

:lol: i knew there was a reason i liked you! :]

doesn't one of his new Crowded House songs allude to Stevie's weird attitude on tour?

cbBen 10-04-2021 05:26 PM

Over & Over

jbrownsjr 10-04-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1270077)
Over & Over

You always have nice summaries. Where's your reasoning??? ;):xoxo:

DownOnRodeo 10-04-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270079)

I find it convincing. "Over & Over -- 'nuff said."

Street_Dreamer 10-04-2021 11:40 PM

Over & Over has more depth to it both writing-wise and production-wise. I like Warm Ways but Over & Over is definitely superior.

HomerMcvie 10-05-2021 12:48 AM

Quote:

Aren't you married? :p

Over and Over has so much more depth to it than WW. Those cheesy tom fills on WW make it sound like the Captain and Tenille(sp).

Lindsey's hater mentioned the... plodding bass. THAT'S what makes the song so hypnotic!

Macfan4life 10-05-2021 03:47 AM

Each are completely different songs.

Lyrics
Warm Ways Chris is professing her devoted love to a man and it even gets quasi sexual
Over and Over Chris likes this person and almost trying to convince him to notice her or take the relationship to another level which appears is not happening

Production
Warm Ways is a musical lullaby with incredible harmonies. Probably the best this band has ever done.
Over and Over is a fairly basic track with the typical cold Tusk production

Music
Warm Ways is a more complicated track than Over and Over which is why Warm Ways is hard to do live and Over and Over shines as a live track. The reason Over and Over is fantastic live is because the band fills in the gaps where the song lacked in the studio version. The basicness of the studio version allowed them to take the song out to orbit live on stage, adding harmonies and Lindsey's hypnotic jam in the end.

The only thing these songs have in common is they are sung by Chris. Its like comparing Bad Loser to You Make Loving Fun. They are actually polar opposites of Chris's songs. The music and harmonies on Warm Ways are just too good to not say it wins in this comparison. I actually like Over and Over but if I never heard the song live, I would not like it as much as I do today. Some songs are better left to the studio and some are better on stage. Over and Over is so much better live. There is a youtube video of Warm Ways live during the White Album tour rehearsals. While good, the magic of the studio version is lost. Each song fits perfectly on each album. Warm Ways sounds very vintage Fleetwood Mac and Over and Over fits perfectly on the stark Tusk. Chris's songs on the White Album sound like they could have appeared on earlier albums.

jbrownsjr 10-05-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1270083)
Aren't you married? :p

All you have to do, is speak out my name
And I will come runnin'
Anyway...

HomerMcvie 10-05-2021 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270087)
All you have to do, is speak out my name
And I will come runnin'
Anyway...

I already know that, biotch!:]:xoxo::]

jbrownsjr 10-06-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1270090)
I already know that, biotch!:]:xoxo::]

Then I'll drink you
into slumber you can't hide.

jbrownsjr 10-06-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1270080)
I find it convincing. "Over & Over -- 'nuff said."

Could it really .... really...... be?????

cbBen 10-06-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

1. the chorus
2. overall it's more hypnotic

HomerMcvie 10-06-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270092)
Then I'll drink you
into slumber you can't hide.

I drink myself into slumber.... what else you got? :lol:

jbrownsjr 10-09-2021 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1270097)
I drink myself into slumber.... what else you got? :lol:

is it right to keep me waiting for so long?

HomerMcvie 10-09-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270108)
is it right to keep me waiting for so long?

Baby, you've got the freedom in your mouth.

jbrownsjr 10-10-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1270109)
Baby, you've got the freedom in your mouth.

At least mine's in the mouth, Homie.

HomerMcvie 10-10-2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270141)
At least mine's in the mouth, Homie.

Well I guess it's time for a swaller and a holler! Yeeeeee Hawwwwwww!:wavey:

jbrownsjr 10-12-2021 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1270146)
Well I guess it's time for a swaller and a holler! Yeeeeee Hawwwwwww!:wavey:

Well it's a Big Big Love ah ah ah ah ah ah oh ohohoohohohohoh

HomerMcvie 10-12-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270154)
Well it's a Big Big Love ah ah ah ah ah ah oh ohohoohohohohoh

Bend down one time. Bend down two times. Never going back again.:wavey:

jbrownsjr 10-13-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1270155)
Bend down one time. Bend down two times. Never going back again.:wavey:

And yet you do, over and over.. .which is the first track, actually the first track on side 1.

HomerMcvie 10-13-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1270162)
And yet you do, over and over.. .which is the first track, actually the first track on side 1.

Never forget, to save me a place.