The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Little Lies 35 Years Ago (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59626)

jmn3 08-09-2022 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1276936)
One could argue Little Lies is the best song on Tango. Certainly, the best hit.

And one would be 100% spot on. It’s the best song on the album and anyone saying otherwise probably thinks Dreams is better than Go Your Own Way or Empire State is better than Hold Me and they’d be wrong about those too! :D

I didn’t know whatever the hell the rest of this thread turned into and the whole argument about timing and Lindsey and Little Lies gave me a headache.

jbrownsjr 08-09-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1276957)
And one would be 100% spot on. It’s the best song on the album and anyone saying otherwise probably thinks Dreams is better than Go Your Own Way or Empire State is better than Hold Me and they’d be wrong about those too! :D

I didn’t know whatever the hell the rest of this thread turned into and the whole argument about timing and Lindsey and Little Lies gave me a headache.

If I could turn the page, in time that I'd re-arrange just a thread or two.

jbrownsjr 08-09-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1276955)
I always forget which John... Is he the one who comes here about every 3 months, RANTING AND RAVING, and calling me Satan, then disappears for another 3 months?:shrug:

If so, I get a kick out of him!:D

Yes, I look forward to it every time!! :laugh:

HomerMcvie 08-09-2022 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1276959)
Yes, I look forward to it every time!! :laugh:

She can't control her temper, AT ALL! It's hilarious, actually.:lol:

jmn3 08-09-2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1276963)
She can't control her temper, AT ALL! It's hilarious, actually.:lol:

This is the one that's like "YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF LOSERS AND NOBODY COMES HERE ANYMORE" and all that? Rants on like four threads and then disappears again for 3-5 months?

My all time favorite here was gldstwmn or whatever her name was. She would get completely sauced, come in here, start absolute chaos with nonsensical gibberish, and then get banned.

jbrownsjr 08-09-2022 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1276966)
This is the one that's like "YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF LOSERS AND NOBODY COMES HERE ANYMORE" and all that? Rants on like four threads and then disappears again for 3-5 months?

My all time favorite here was gldstwmn or whatever her name was. She would get completely sauced, come in here, start absolute chaos with nonsensical gibberish, and then get banned.

Oh the Direct messages I would get from that one... oy:
laugh:

HomerMcvie 08-09-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1276966)

That's the guy!!!!:laugh:

Yeah, she was a mess. And was actually a mod! But you could see her posts get crazier, the later(drunker) in the night it was.

SteveMacD 08-09-2022 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1276953)
I don't think that's exactly what Steve said. He was merely saying it was logical for Lindsey's departure to have helped the album and single.

This. That’s all I was ever saying. MTV and VH-1 wouldn’t stop talking about it whenever they played “Little Lies.”

Hell, that’s how I found out about Dorsey Burnette.

SteveMacD 08-09-2022 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1276936)
One could argue Little Lies is the best song on Tango.

One could, although “Isn’t It Midnight” was better, IMO. Christine’s second guitar-rock song (behind “Morning Rain”).

HomerMcvie 08-10-2022 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1276978)
Christine’s second guitar-rock song (behind “Morning Rain”).

One In A Million will always be my favorite rocking song of hers. That guitar figure during the chorus, and that B-3. BLISS!

jbrownsjr 08-10-2022 07:30 AM

On Tango: It changes, but I love the whole album.

1. Isn't It Midnight
2. Tango In The Night
3. Seven Wonders
4. Little Lies
5. You And I Part 1
6. Everywhere
7. Big Love
8. You And I Part 2
9. Mystified
10. Family Man
11. WTTRS
12. When I See You Again

Villavic 08-10-2022 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1276981)
On Tango: It changes, but I love the whole album.

1. Isn't It Midnight
2. Tango In The Night
3. Seven Wonders
4. Little Lies
5. You And I Part 1
6. Everywhere
7. Big Love
8. You And I Part 2
9. Mystified
10. Family Man
11. WTTRS
12. When I See You Again

I agree about Caroline not included. I never like it that much.

jbrownsjr 08-10-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1276985)
I agree about Caroline not included. I never like it that much.

Oh... That was an accident. Caroline comes after Mystified.

aleuzzi 08-10-2022 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1276954)
What I will say is this: It's pretty incredible for Christine to have the 3rd and 4th singles on Tango and have the album survive that long.

I hear Little Lies and Everywhere much more today on the radio, where I rarely hear Seven or Big Love.

The label was going with the exact same release pattern that they did with Rumours: Lindsey-Stevie-Christine-Christine. The difference, as you noted, is that this time the first two singles, while top ten and 20 singles respectively, were nowhere near as big as the fourth….

jbrownsjr 08-10-2022 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1276990)
The label was going with the exact same release pattern that they did with Rumours: Lindsey-Stevie-Christine-Christine. The difference, as you noted, is that this time the first two singles, while top ten and 20 singles respectively, were nowhere near as big as the fourth….

Don't Stop was almost a number 1 hit. Would have been nice for Christine to get that slot.

HomerMcvie 08-10-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1276993)
Don't Stop was almost a number 1 hit. Would have been nice for Christine to get that slot.

She should have spun around like a drunken sailor a little more.

jbrownsjr 08-10-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1276994)
She should have spun around like a drunken sailor a little more.

Dreams was so boring live.

bwboy 08-10-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1276990)

While I think the order was a coincidence, I do remember the press saying before Tango was released that it was “rumored” to be a remake of Rumours, and USA Today said Big Love was a remake of the Chain, Seven Wonders a remake of Dreams, Little Lies a remake of You Make Loving Fun, etc.

jbrownsjr 08-10-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1276997)
While I think the order was a coincidence, I do remember the press saying before Tango was released that it was “rumored” to be a remake of Rumours, and USA Today said Big Love was a remake of the Chain, Seven Wonders a remake of Dreams, Little Lies a remake of You Make Loving Fun, etc.

Was Everywhere, Oh Daddy?

aleuzzi 08-10-2022 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1276993)

It was her closest shot. And that song was HUGE.

aleuzzi 08-10-2022 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1276997)

I think it may have been coincidence, too, though it’s always been at the forefront of my mind, given the band’s ambition to ascend to their highest height. And wow, the press got that wrong—none of those singles is a remake of the said antecedent.

Big Love does have some of that tangly guitar we heard on World Turning and The Chain, though this time electric—but that’s it. It sounds really connected with Go Insane. Little Lies bears more resemblance to SYLM than anything on Rumours, though with synths. Seven Wonders would have easily fit on The Wild Heart.

bwboy 08-10-2022 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1277002)
I think it may have been coincidence, too, though it’s always been at the forefront of my mind, given the band’s ambition to ascend to their highest height. And wow, the press got that wrong—none of those singles is a remake of the said antecedent.

Big Love does have some of that tangly guitar we heard on World Turning and The Chain, though this time electric—but that’s it. It sounds really connected with Go Insane. Little Lies bears more resemblance to SYLM than anything on Rumours, though with synths. Seven Wonders would have easily fit on The Wild Heart.

I agree they were off about the “remakes.” But I will say that Big Love does resemble the Chain in the way it wraps up- you know, when Lindsey grunts in the song near the end. The climax, as it were, no innuendo intended. And even that is stretching it.

bwboy 08-10-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1276998)
Was Everywhere, Oh Daddy?

It didn’t say anything about Everywhere compared to anything on Rumours. Poor USA Today was wrong about the rumors. My guess is whoever told them Tango was a remake of Rumours probably was misinterpreted. More likely they meant it was a return to the pop sensibilities of Rumours, not a literal remake. But I do remember there was a lot of curiosity and anticipation about and for the album before it was released. There were also rumors that Stevie Nicks was approached by the producers of Miami Vice to play Don Johnson’s love interest. Anyone remember that? I believe the role later went to Melanie Griffith. Stevie said something in response like no way- I’m not an actress.” Later, Miami Vice used I’m So Afraid on the show.

Macfan4life 08-11-2022 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1277001)
It was her closest shot. And that song was HUGE.

True
But when Hold Me sat for nearly 2 full months locked at #4, Hold Me probably would have been the one. Dreams has the highest charting single from the band but Hold Me was on the charts the longest. Dreams hit #1 and the following week fell to the bottom of the top 10. Hold Me had incredible endurance and if it wasn't for Eye of the Tiger, Abracadabra, and Hurts So Good, it would have been #1. Those songs blocked it.
Hold Me finished 1982 as one of the biggest songs of the year. It finished the year a bigger "hit" than Dreams did in 1977 because its number of weeks on the charts. Hold Me was in the top 10 five times longer than Dreams.

When I was in college I lived in an international dorm. I will never forget, I was playing my cassette Fleetwood Mac greatest hits and there was a Japanese girl who could not speak English that well. She was in the English department before she was to enroll in classes. She asked me to play Hold Me and she sang the entire song in perfect English. I was blown away. She struggled to speak English yet she sang the song in perfect English without missing a word.

Macfan4life 08-11-2022 06:01 AM

On another note, I loved when the band reunited with Chris started to perform Little Lies again. I loved the extended ending and Lindsey (finally) on vocals.
However, I loved and missed the outrageous keyboard beginning from the late 80s and 1990. That would just crank through the arena. It was much toned down in recent years.

Villavic 08-11-2022 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1277004)
My guess is whoever told them Tango was a remake of Rumours probably was misinterpreted. More likely they meant it was a return to the pop sensibilities of Rumours, not a literal remake.

I would agree with Mick that actually it´s Mirage that was "an attempt to get into the Rumours groove again, but updated". Specially after the Tusk change. Though within the 80s context, Tango perfectly fits in the 80s.

jbrownsjr 08-11-2022 10:19 AM

I've always thought Mirage was Mirage and nothing like Rumours. Not even close. Tango isn't close to either of those albums, as well. One thing Lindsey did accomplish is different concepts and sensibilities. They all did, really.;

HomerMcvie 08-11-2022 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1277021)
I've always thought Mirage was Mirage and nothing like Rumours. Not even close. Tango isn't close to either of those albums, as well. One thing Lindsey did accomplish is different concepts and sensibilities. They all did, really.;

Well, Mirage brought back a radio friendly pop sound.

I love everything about Mirage, and hold it in my heart, dearly.

Tango? Meh. It's slick. Plastic is slick. And sterile. Mick should be sterile.

jbrownsjr 08-11-2022 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1277022)
Well, Mirage brought back a radio friendly pop sound.

I love everything about Mirage, and hold it in my heart, dearly.

Tango? Meh. It's slick. Plastic is slick. And sterile. Mick should be sterile.

Brought back a radio friendly sound? Hold Me and Gypsy make that true. However, does not equate to sounding anything close to Rumours. And yes, I love Mirage.

Sara, Think About Me, Never Forget and Angel were radio friendly. I think it was you who had stated Tusk (the song) ruined the singles on the Tusk album. I agree with that, too.

Now get mad at me and say you're never coming back, then come back tomorrow. :laugh:

HomerMcvie 08-11-2022 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1277026)
Brought back a radio friendly sound? Hold Me and Gypsy make that true. However, does not equate to sounding anything close to Rumours. And yes, I love Mirage.

Sara, Think About Me, Never Forget and Angel were radio friendly. I think it was you who had stated Tusk (the song) ruined the singles on the Tusk album. I agree with that, too.

Now get mad at me and say you're never coming back, then come back tomorrow. :laugh:

I never said it sounded close to Rumours. Only what I just said, that they were "radio friendly" again.

I never said that about Tusk(the song), either. Think About Me and Angel were radio friendly, but the album as a whole was not. I don't think anyone could make that claim.

Okay, THAT'S IT!!!!!! Y'ALL ARE A BUNCH OR F*CKING LOSERS, AND I'M OUT OF HERE!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

(see you in a few minutes again)

Villavic 08-11-2022 02:48 PM

Well, Can't go Back was radio friendly in Peru.

jbrownsjr 08-11-2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1277028)

That's because you were all standing in the shadows.

HomerMcvie 08-11-2022 03:52 PM

Quote:

I LOVE Can't Go Back and Book of Love. They're perfect! Especially in the running order in which they lie.

jbrownsjr 08-11-2022 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1277030)
I LOVE Can't Go Back and Book of Love. They're perfect! Especially in the running order in which they lie.

Agreed, the sequencing of Mirage is Christine perfect for me.

HomerMcvie 08-11-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1277031)
Agreed, the sequencing of Mirage is Christine perfect for me.

It really is Perfekt. The flow is amazing. Seriously.

Mirage never got the love it deserves.

jbrownsjr 08-12-2022 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1277032)
It really is Perfekt. The flow is amazing. Seriously.

Mirage never got the love it deserves.

Even the videos are fantastic.

aleuzzi 08-12-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

I love unexpected info like this. I wonder how that song at that time played into public tastes there.

aleuzzi 08-12-2022 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1277036)
Even the videos are fantastic.

The decision to make Gypsy and Hold Me videos really did help promote the album. I doubt “Gypsy”—as good as it is—would have had the same impact on the popular imagination if there was no video. “Hold Me” is such an ear worm that it would likely have done as well, but that video is equally iconic in a different way.

Villavic 08-12-2022 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1277037)
I love unexpected info like this. I wonder how that song at that time played into public tastes there.

As I remember, Hold Me and Gypsy were the obvious hits played in radios.

But there was an adult contemporary, world, vocal radio; in general they used to play beyond the classical pop hits. So they liked to choose the non usual singles. When Mirage were released, they played HM & G, and they started to play Can't Go Back, too (maybe a single in other countries but not in Peru). And it was so well received that it started to play by other radios (something that no always happened with other songs). Probably it didn't reach the local top ten, but I remember hearing it frequently for a while.

jbrownsjr 08-12-2022 03:55 PM

Mirage is very very catchy, once you get it in your bones. I couldn't put it down, after I bought it.