The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Top Ten Christine songs (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59761)

David 12-07-2022 01:47 PM

Reading everyone’s fave songs is forcing me to think of several of my faves that I don’t think have been mentioned . . .?

Just Crazy Love
No Road Is the Right Road
Prove Your Love
It’s You I Miss
Heart of Stone
(“Where did the time go? I guess it just slipped away”)

Maybe You Ain’t No Good or Gone into the Sun or I’m on My Way or Wait and See?

Bueller?

SteveMacD 12-07-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1279910)
Wait and See?

I swear this is the precursor to Oh Daddy.

aleuzzi 12-07-2022 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1279727)
...and Sugar Daddy will always be a favorite. Sugar Daddy is FUNKY. That piano and B-3. I f*cking LOVE me some Sugar Daddy!

I have never understood why so many BN shippers hate this song. I've read comments like they think the lyrics are offensive. Forgive me, but that is simply bad criticism. Ever hear of irony? Need a sense of humor? It's a brilliant little take on the working-girl fantasy. And it WORKS.

I've seen some people dismiss the song as "light funk." Umm, what? It's pop blues for sure, but it's the right combination of pop and blues. No one ever told The Spinners "I'll Be Around" wasn't soulful enough. No one ever blamed Dusty Springfield for strapping on some R&B when she sang "Son of a Preacher Man."

"Sugar Daddy" is up, it's fun, and it's smart. I wish Christine had written more songs like it. And I wish more of her songs had that B3 so prominently in them.

aleuzzi 12-07-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Reading everyone’s fave songs is forcing me to think of several of my faves that I don’t think have been mentioned . . .?

Just Crazy Love
Prove Your Love
It’s You I Miss
Heart of Stone

Bueller?

I was going to pick "No Road" but there were simply too many songs to choose from. "Prove Your Love" is a great song engineered badly. It sounds muddy. Christine's lovely vocal is supressed in the mix. My favorite part of "Just Crazy Love" is Weston's frenetic electric fills between Christine's lines in the verse. A nice touch for a song with "crazy" in the title.

David 12-07-2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1279913)
"Prove Your Love" is a great song engineered badly. It sounds muddy. Christine's lovely vocal is supressed in the mix.

Yeah, sadly true, Tony. When she and John sat down with Jim Ladd for Mirage to do an interview, she told Jim that she would like to rerecord Prove with the then-current production team. That comment is really what made me go listen to it, and I became a fan of the possible!

Karlie 12-07-2022 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1279912)
I have never understood why so many BN shippers hate this song. I've read comments like they think the lyrics are offensive. Forgive me, but that is simply bad criticism. Ever hear of irony? Need a sense of humor? It's a brilliant little take on the working-girl fantasy. And it WORKS.

I've seen some people dismiss the song as "light funk." Umm, what? It's pop blues for sure, but it's the right combination of pop and blues. No one ever told The Spinners "I'll Be Around" wasn't soulful enough. No one ever blamed Dusty Springfield for strapping on some R&B when she sang "Son of a Preacher Man."

"Sugar Daddy" is up, it's fun, and it's smart. I wish Christine had written more songs like it. And I wish more of her songs had that B3 so prominently in them.

I totally agree! Christine was hilarious with that clever British humor and I also wish it had been showcased in more songs. And that B3 was just *chef’s kiss*

Karlie 12-07-2022 03:35 PM

Quote:

Just Crazy Love
Prove Your Love
It’s You I Miss
Heart of Stone

Bueller?

Heart of Stone and Prove Your Love were my #3 and #4. I have spent days at a time listening to those songs on repeat and all the while finding new things about them to fall in love with.

HomerMcvie 12-07-2022 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1279912)

It's made every single greatest hits I've ever made. I never tire of it.

Macfan4life 12-07-2022 05:36 PM

Just Crazy Love and Prove Your Love are both excellent
Was jamming them all weekend.
Mystery To Me and Heroes Are Hard To Find are so freaking good

aleuzzi 12-08-2022 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1279917)
Yeah, sadly true, Tony. When she and John sat down with Jim Ladd for Mirage to do an interview, she told Jim that she would like to rerecord Prove with the then-current production team. That comment is really what made me go listen to it, and I became a fan of the possible!

Interesting that she mentioned this while promoting MIRAGE since there are some similarities in the vocal attack for “Prove You’re Love” and “Only Over You.” On paper, I prefer the comparatively more complex chords in “Prove” but admire the confidence with which she sings “Only.”

jbrownsjr 12-08-2022 03:51 PM

Too Far Gone (perfect) **Not BuckVie
Hey Baby
Prove Your Love
Warm Ways
Got A Hold On Me
Ask Anybody
Wish You Were Here
Sugar Daddy
Morning Rain
Why

McLamb 12-10-2022 11:13 AM

Ten favorite songs of hers at the moment.
No particular order, just alphabetically:

Behind The Mask
Carnival Begin
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Over & Over
Remember Me
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
The Smile I Live For
When The Train Comes Back
Why
You Are

The Highwayman 12-10-2022 10:31 PM

This is difficult. Um...

1. 'Hold Me'
2. 'As Long As You Follow'
3. 'Love In Store'
4. 'Say You Love Me'
5. 'Everywhere'
6. 'You Make Loving Fun'
7. 'Why'
8. 'Think About Me'
9. 'Over My Head'
10. 'Got A Hold On Me'

For now, this is how I feel.

cbBen 12-11-2022 06:00 AM

The Chain
You Make Loving Fun
Songbird
Say You Love Me
Little Lies
Over My Head
Don't Stop (live version with Lindsey's solo at the end)
Think About Me
World Turning
Over & Over

nicepace 12-11-2022 09:58 PM

I wanted to include at least one song from Christine's pre-FM era (Chicken Shack), from each of Christine's solo records, and from each "phase" of her career with FM, which I define as the Welch era, the Rumours era, and the BuckVie era (even though that was only one album long).

Since the Welch era is my personal favorite, I kept more songs from those five albums and kept just one token song from the most popular era, the Rumours era.

Get Like You Used To Be
No Road is the Right Road
Homeward Bound
Spare Me a Little
Just Crazy Love
Why
Isn't It Midnight
One In a Million
Friend
Game of Pretend