The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Behind The Mask turns 31 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59206)

jmn3 04-02-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1265993)
I agree with Mitzo on this, too. While nowhere near my favorite, I don’t think it’s deck, especially compared to When I see You Again. Whassa matter baby, whassa matter baby, baby, babbeee! Babeee!

She stares at the stairs. There are so many things to stare at these days. <— is one of the worst pieces of lyrical garbage this band or any of its songwriters have ever put out!

HomerMcvie 04-02-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1265992)
I’m with jbrownsjr- I’d take Skies the Limit over Temporary One all day, anytime. Talk about a bad song! But different strokes for different folks.

Temporary One blows goats. Lame assed song.

mitzo 04-02-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1265993)
I agree with Mitzo on this, too. While nowhere near my favorite, I don’t think it’s deck, especially compared to When I see You Again. Whassa matter baby, whassa matter baby, baby, babbeee! Babeee!

I am a fan of WISYA too. Melancholy and weird and mysterious and incoherent. What's the problem?

HomerMcvie 04-02-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1266004)
What's the problem?

It sounds like a 3yo wrote it.

Wasssamatta baby, wasssamatta baby, wasssamatta baby.

bwboy 04-02-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266002)

If Homer and jbrownsjr say Temporary One sucks, then who are we to disagree?!? They are the Christine McVie authority here! Still, of all the singer/songwriters in FM, she is the most consistent one. There are some songs by Stevie and Lindsey that I hate, but I can’t say that about any of Christine’s songs, though. Well, except for Temporary One. And maybe One More Night.

HomerMcvie 04-02-2021 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1266007)
If Homer and jbrownsjr say Temporary One sucks, then who are we to disagree?!? They are the Christine McVie authority here! Still, of all the singer/songwriters in FM, she is the most consistent one. There are some songs by Stevie and Lindsey that I hate, but I can’t say that about any of Christine’s songs, though. Well, except for Temporary One. And maybe One More Night.

One More Night is a snoozer, too! It's on par with Oh Daddy!

aleuzzi 04-02-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266009)
One More Night is a snoozer, too! It's on par with Oh Daddy!

Oh Daddy is a masterpiece. One of the greatest songs in the FM catalog. But hey, my saying so isn’t going to change your mind.

aleuzzi 04-02-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266002)

I love it. The song. Your image is colorful and disturbing. But it’s the song I love.

HomerMcvie 04-02-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1266012)
Oh Daddy is a masterpiece. One of the greatest songs in the FM catalog. But hey, my saying so isn’t going to change your mind.

Oh Daddy is too sleepy for me. I tolerated for all those years until Mick claimed it was about him. Then I lost all interest! :laugh:

aleuzzi 04-02-2021 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266014)
Oh Daddy is too sleepy for me. I tolerated for all those years until Mick claimed it was about him. Then I lost all interest! :laugh:

His claim is so obnoxious. He so desperately wants a song on Rumours to be about him.

HomerMcvie 04-02-2021 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1266015)
His claim is so obnoxious. He so desperately wants a song on Rumours to be about him.

Mick is a LOSER. I'm sure they all know it. They waited TWENTY YEARS to claim it was about him. And THEY didn't claim it. Loser did. Poor Christine towed the company line and went along, like she always has, and went along with his claim.

aleuzzi 04-03-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266016)
Mick is a LOSER. I'm sure they all know it. They waited TWENTY YEARS to claim it was about him. And THEY didn't claim it. Loser did. Poor Christine towed the company line and went along, like she always has, and went along with his claim.

And you can see how uncomfortable the lie makes her when she toes that line. She only ever repeats what Mick says (“he was the father of the group”) but doesn’t (can’t) explain or describe the creative impulses that went into the tune as she does with her other RUMOURS songs. She’s so obviously just letting him have his delusion.

mitzo 04-03-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266014)

I love sleepy. Not everything has to be toe-tapping, finger-snapping fun. Art is not a sock hop.

Macfan4life 04-03-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1266019)
I love sleepy. Not everything has to be toe-tapping, finger-snapping fun. Art is not a sock hop.

Oh Daddy is not sleepy. Its an orchestra of mystical 70's guitar, percussion and keyboards. When I hear the music, I picture an early morning somewhere when the sun is breaking and mist and fog all about. yes the music is so good it puts visuals in my head.

HomerMcvie 04-03-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1266019)

Think About Me is my favorite FM song of all time, because it's perfect, containing all of the above, except sleepy.

That.Is.All.:lol:

bwboy 04-03-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266023)
Think About Me is my favorite FM song of all time, because it's perfect, containing all of the above, except sleepy.

:shocked: Wow, that is high praise indeed! I love it, too. It’s not my favorite, but definitely one of my favorites. I really love the ending, it kind of reminds me of the girl group songs of the sixties, and that is a total compliment. Think About Me is about as joyous as FM ever let themselves sound.

HomerMcvie 04-03-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1266025)
:shocked: Wow, that is high praise indeed! I love it, too. It’s not my favorite, but definitely one of my favorites. I really love the ending, it kind of reminds me of the girl group songs of the sixties, and that is a total compliment. Think About Me is about as joyous as FM ever let themselves sound.

Agreed. You Make Loving Fun would probably be it's runner up, as the the happiest song they ever recorded.

TAM instantly puts me in a good mood, and I crank TF out of the stereo!

mitzo 04-03-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266023)

It's OK. Quite generic FM midtempo stuff, really.

HomerMcvie 04-03-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1266027)
It's OK. Quite generic FM midtempo stuff, really.

And you hate Lindsey. We get it. Curmudgeon! :lol::cool:

michelej1 04-03-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1265970)
I can’t listen to “Skies the Limit.” I hate this song. It’s rare that any of Christine’s lesser songs fail to reach an acceptable standard, but this one truly stinks. An embarrassment. Once that decent opening verse runs its course, I start to cringe.

You’re just mad about the spelling.

michelej1 04-03-2021 10:04 PM

Please. Christine said it was about Mick earlier than that.

michelej1 04-03-2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1265998)
She stares at the stairs. There are so many things to stare at these days. <— is one of the worst pieces of lyrical garbage this band or any of its songwriters have ever put out!

You hurt my everything.

michelej1 04-03-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266016)

I remember in 1987 when Lindsey left Christine was calling Mick the “daddy” and minimizing Lindsey’s role. She probably always called Mick Daddy in private. Maybe now she calls him Zaddy. :distress:

Quote:

I think the energy shifts from time to time. When there is a lapse in one person there will be more energy coming from another. It’s always compensated somehow by the energy shifting itself. Mick, I would say,
is the guru if you’d like, the daddy.

Seriously though, you remember that video where Lindsey defiantly and petulantly says he is leaving and not doing any more interviews and doesn’t want a cheese omelet (suggested by Stevie) because he wants FRENCH FOOD. Christine was whining and appealing to Mick because she wanted to leave too. Mick kind of put his foot down and made it clear she wasn’t going anywhere. I definitely could tell back then that he was the father figure. That was before he lost all of his money, failed as the manager and became rather pathetic in their eyes.

HomerMcvie 04-03-2021 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1266040)
Please. Christine said it was about Mick earlier than that.

I don't ever remember that being said before "the making of Rumours"(or whatever it's called- it's at my other house, so I can't look for reference).

Ar least we agree that he's a loser. Even drugged up $tevie could see that by 1987.

michelej1 04-03-2021 11:57 PM

I would have to look to see if I can find a real early reference to the meaning behind the song. But I know she called Mick the group’s “daddy” in 1987 and in 1990 she said in the Roger Moore interview, “Oh Daddy, I had written about Jenny and Mick. Jenny and Mick were going through their bad times as
everybody else was and this was written so to speak from the shoes of Jenny who at that time was really really sad about the lack of prospect of their marriage surviving. So this was all about those two.”

HomerMcvie 04-04-2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1266049)
I would have to look to see if I can find a real early reference to the meaning behind the song. But I know she called Mick the group’s “daddy” in 1987 and in 1990 she said in the Roger Moore interview, “Oh Daddy, I had written about Jenny and Mick. Jenny and Mick were going through their bad times as
everybody else was and this was written so to speak from the shoes of Jenny who at that time was really really sad about the lack of prospect of their marriage surviving. So this was all about those two.”

Wow. I've never seen that, but would love to.

Although I'll be greatly disappointed if it's actually about him. :lol:

bwboy 04-04-2021 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266046)
I don't ever remember that being said before "the making of Rumours"(or whatever it's called- it's at my other house, so I can't look for reference).

Other house? Your summer home in Malibu? Or the Chateau in France? :lol: Just ribbing you!

jmn3 04-04-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1266051)
Other house? Your summer home in Malibu? Or the Chateau in France? :lol: Just ribbing you!

He's starting to sound like Stevie. He probably has a separate apartment to just dance and twirl around in too (to Oh Daddy...they will be slowww twirls)!

:laugh:

HomerMcvie 04-04-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1266051)

I have a house in the country in Indiana, and a condo in downtown Nashville. I go back and forth every other week, and NO ONE can understand that concept...
"So you moved away?"
Nope.
"But you're not here!"
I will be next week.
*walks away with confused look...*

I WISH it was a chateau in France, but Homie HATES flying, so I have settle for a second home within driving distance...(3.5 hours)

michelej1 04-04-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266050)
Wow. I've never seen that, but would love to.

Although I'll be greatly disappointed if it's actually about him. :lol:

Roger Moore Classic CDs interview.

Speaking of songs about our great dark wing, I loved it when the interviewer told Mick that “Mr. Rockcock” was a reference to him. He said he was very flattered. And I have to say I found his English wit charming, the deft way he jokes. He doesn’t mind being called piggy in the middle either.

jbrownsjr 04-04-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1266007)

The Lead Vocal on One More Night is stellar. Not that crazy about the song.

jbrownsjr 04-04-2021 06:50 PM

To Tony: Maybe I've been acting just a little strange, and you have noticed it, too.
To Mitzo: Love WISYA, loathe Second Time
To Michele: I can confirm she was saying early on it was about Mick. The Rumours DVD-A has material as to that notion.
To BwBoy: BTM gets better every time I listen to it. Wish they closed with something else.
To Homer: If I could make you see, you've been a fool around and it's definitely not me (or Tony). Oh Daddy is brilliance.

That's All (right)

HomerMcvie 04-05-2021 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1266054)
He's starting to sound like Stevie. He probably has a separate apartment to just dance and twirl around in too (to Oh Daddy...they will be slowww twirls)!

:laugh:

I'm BUSTED. I have an apartment just for my $tevie's shrine. It's loaded with pics of all the aging rock stars with whom I've "slept". Nag champa burning all the time. I even hired myself my own "Karen", to do all my bitching for me!

Oh, and I forgot the Lindsey dartboard. Mitzo loaned that to me!:wavey:

Macfan4life 04-05-2021 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266046)

Ar least we agree that he's a loser. Even drugged up $tevie could see that by 1987.

Common ground. We found the one thing about Oh Daddy that we agree on. I also remember being surprised to learn Oh Daddy was about Mick during the Rumours 20th anniversary VHS tape (millennials look it up). We have no reason to doubt her but the lyrics definitely seem of a love interest. Maybe she was fibbing a bit? I remember her calling him Big Daddy or Mack Daddy is more like it.

Macfan4life 04-05-2021 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266068)
I'm BUSTED. I have an apartment just for my $tevie's shrine. It's loaded with pics of all the aging rock stars with whom I've "slept". Nag champa burning all the time. I even hired myself my own "Karen", to do all my bitching for me!

Oh yeah cool! But do you have a Mrs Ropers shawl and and Aztec checkered floor to dance around on? I think not.
Haters gonna hate

jbrownsjr 04-05-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1266071)
Oh yeah cool! But do you have a Mrs Ropers shaw and and Aztec checkered floor to dance around on? I think not.
Haters gonna hate

Back to the Homer, that he was... to the Homer.. that he wassssss

HomerMcvie 04-05-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1266071)
Oh yeah cool! But do you have a Mrs Ropers shaw and and Aztec checkered floor to dance around on? I think not.
Haters gonna hate

I sent my shawl out for more bedazzling. It's in the shop until next Tuesday.

jmn3 04-05-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1266068)

I'm not going to lie, having your own "Karen" (wow, did that name not work out perfectly) to do all your bitching and sniping, and also to be there to tell you how wonderful you are 24/7, would be pretty sweet!

Does your apartment have a shawl only closet? Persian rug?

jmn3 04-05-2021 11:43 AM

Oh, and just so I post something at all relevant to the thread topic:

Behind the Mask is interesting. It's not terrible, but also in no way is it terribly great.

I like about 4-5 songs. The rest aren't bad but just really do nothing for me.
Love is Dangerous
In the Back of My Mind
Save Me
Behind the Mask
Freedom

It's not as dated sounding as Tango is, but despite having some duds, Tango just sounds more like what I expect from Fleetwood Mac. Some of BTM just sounds like any forgettable 80's/90's adult contemporary artist.

aleuzzi 04-05-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1266078)
Oh, and just so I post something at all relevant to the thread topic:

Behind the Mask is interesting. It's not terrible, but also in no way is it terribly great.

I like about 4-5 songs. The rest aren't bad but just really do nothing for me.
Love is Dangerous
In the Back of My Mind
Save Me
Behind the Mask
Freedom

It's not as dated sounding as Tango is, but despite having some duds, Tango just sounds more like what I expect from Fleetwood Mac. Some of BTM just sounds like any forgettable 80's/90's adult contemporary artist.

These are the same 4-5 songs I’d pick.