The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Do you miss the Eddy Quintela era? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49765)

redbird 06-16-2013 02:19 PM

It's not my favorite era, but I don't know if it's because of Eddy Quintela or if it's just some of the musical fashions of that time period that I don't care for. Lots of artists have written differently in different pop culture environments. And there are other Christine/Mac songs from that era that weren't co-written by him that I also don't care for. So I dunno if it has much to do with him in particular. I do like "Little Lies" a lot.

aleuzzi 06-16-2013 07:34 PM

To my ears, the best Christine-Eddy collaborations are "Little Lies," Hollywood," "Nights in Estoril" and "Temporary One."

I am not a huge fan of their collaborations in general. A song like "Skies the Limit": decent, attractive verse ruined by a bad chorus. The same thing with "Love Will Show Us How" (not an Eddy collaboration). In both cases, the verse sounds very much like Christine. The chorus--whoever penned it, doesn't fit with her voice. One of the things I love about In the Meantime is that the Christine-Dan Perfect collaborations sound a lot tighter and more original. I know some people don't like the production on the album but I don't think anyone can say a bad thing about the songs...

michelej1 06-16-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1096280)
To my ears, the best Christine-Eddy collaborations are "Little Lies," Hollywood," "Nights in Estoril" and "Temporary One."

I am not a huge fan of their collaborations in general. A song like "Skies the Limit": decent, attractive verse ruined by a bad chorus. The same thing with "Love Will Show Us How" (not an Eddy collaboration). In both cases, the verse sounds very much like Christine. The chorus--whoever penned it, doesn't fit with her voice. One of the things I love about In the Meantime is that the Christine-Dan Perfect collaborations sound a lot tighter and more original. I know some people don't like the production on the album but I don't think anyone can say a bad thing about the songs...

I can say a lot of bad things about the songs (Liar). But the ones Dan wrote alone, Calumny and Northern Star are some of the most perfect things I've ever heard, with Christine singing them the way she does.

Michele

aleuzzi 06-16-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1096303)
I can say a lot of bad things about the songs (Liar). But the ones Dan wrote alone, Calumny and Northern Star are some of the most perfect things I've ever heard, with Christine singing them the way she does.

Michele

Boooh. Those songs are terrific. I even love Liar. No lie.

jbrownsjr 06-17-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1096306)
Boooh. Those songs are terrific. I even love Liar. No lie.

Liar has really grown on me recently!! I can't believe it either. I completely understand exactly what she means in the lyrics.

ejb1969 06-17-2013 11:57 AM

I think her use of metaphors and other references in 'Liar' is interesting:

IMO, the song is definitely about Eddie:

How to read the Jack of Hearts:

Traditionally the Jack of Hearts is a card of romance. In some of the older cartomancy meanings he represents a lazy, immature, emotionally insecure young man; or simply the thoughts of the Queen or King of Hearts. Although Jacks can represent young people of either sex, the Jack of Hearts is most often read as a young male.

The Jack of Hearts is a young person of either sex with whom the querent feels an emotional bond or attachment. This card can represent a child of either sex, a male family member such as a son or son-in-law, brother, cousin, etc. The Jack of Hearts can also indicate a boyfriend, a male lover, or close male friend.

The J♥ can be an actor or an artist. He can be a writer of poetry, or just a student of the arts.

Source http://cartomancy.wordpress.com/2007...ack-of-hearts/

I always thought the "clown" lyric was a reference to the Everly Brothers song 'Cathy's Clown'...

Levels of venom abound, most certainly!

aleuzzi 06-17-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1096325)
Liar has really grown on me recently!! I can't believe it either. I completely understand exactly what she means in the lyrics.

If you can empathize with the lyrics in liar then that means things aren't going that well romantically! LOL. Hope that's not the case.

Newzchspy 06-17-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1096325)

Wasn't Liar about EQ?? I always thought it was??

jbrownsjr 06-17-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1096366)
If you can empathize with the lyrics in liar then that means things aren't going that well romantically! LOL. Hope that's not the case.

I had a relationship in the past around 2005 that fell under that umbrella. Thanks for the concern, it means a lot. :xoxo:

jbrownsjr 06-17-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newzchspy (Post 1096377)
Wasn't Liar about EQ?? I always thought it was??

It was either about him, or her new boyfriend after him. I'm of course speculating.

michelej1 06-17-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejb1969 (Post 1096341)
I think her use of metaphors and other references in 'Liar' is interesting:

The use of metaphors itself is fine and I would have welcomed unique ones. This song just contains a lot of cliched phrases. When you take one and put a spin on it, it's hooky. I have no problem with Heart of Stone, but when you throw several hackneyed words into one song, it begins to sound like lazy writing to me and the music doesn't do anything to transcend the weak lyrics.

I think Liar is catchy enough though, but disappointingly trite. A woman who has used the words "woo me until the sun comes up, then you say that you love me" to imply lying (and her feelings about knowingly being lied to) so beautifully, pains me with Jack of Hearts, shining knight, heart of darkness, walls came tumbling down, roll of the dice, clowns. It's like someone knocked her on the head with a thick volume of adages. I wish someone would have treated the concussion.

Then, we had 2 other songs with schlocky background vocals that would have fit on a 1972 sitcom. But then you had 9 other songs that held their own. Some were good and some were great. Two were some of the best of Christine's career. So, on balance, pretty good album.

Michele

jbrownsjr 06-17-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1096388)
It's like someone knocked her on the head with a thick volume of adages.
Michele

Haha!! I pictured this like in a Family Guy ep...

Ulpian 06-18-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1096380)
It was either about him, or her new boyfriend after him. I'm of course speculating.

I thought it was about the guy she had recently split up with in 2004. She said in her interviews that generally most of the songs were about her feelings as that relationship ran its course.

I like Liar.

Michele - which songs on ITM do you think are her best?

jbrownsjr 06-18-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulpian (Post 1096453)
I thought it was about the guy she had recently split up with in 2004. She said in her interviews that generally most of the songs were about her feelings as that relationship ran its course.

I like Liar.

Yes, I believe so Ulpian. My memory is fuzzy is all.

michelej1 06-18-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulpian (Post 1096453)

I like all of them except Bad Journey and Easy Come, Easy Go.

Calumny, Northern Star and Friend are my favorites.

I don't dislike Liar. I just think the lyrics are really cheesy.

Michele

Ulpian 06-18-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1096460)
I like all of them except Bad Journey and Easy Come, Easy Go.

Calumny, Northern Star and Friend are my favorites.

I don't dislike Liar. I just think the lyrics are really cheesy.

Michele

I like So Sincere, You Are, Friend, Liar, Calumny and Northern Star.

I am glad to hear that Mick says she is writing again and "back in the world". God knows what has prompted this, but let's hope she releases something new!

aleuzzi 06-18-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulpian (Post 1096463)
I like So Sincere, You Are, Friend, Liar, Calumny and Northern Star.

I am glad to hear that Mick says she is writing again and "back in the world". God knows what has prompted this, but let's hope she releases something new!

I just have this feeling another album will come. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I just have the feeling.

My favorite ITM songs are Forgiveness, Calumny, Bad Journey, and the acoustic version of Friend. But I love the whole thing, even Easy Come but only because the vocal is so strong.

ejb1969 06-18-2013 08:11 PM

I haven't been able to find the acoustic version of Friend anywhere. Can someone upload it for me, please?

jbrownsjr 06-19-2013 08:38 AM

My favs are Bad Journey, Anything is Possible, You Are, Friend, Calumny, So Sincere, Northern Star, Forgiveness, Givin it Back, Liar (getting there)

then Easy Come Easy Go, Sweet Revenge.. ehhhh

Pretty damn good album..

jbrownsjr 06-19-2013 08:39 AM

I really like Come Out to Play as well... lest not forget...

michelej1 06-19-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1096506)
I really like Come Out to Play as well... lest not forget...

Me too. That's one of my favorites actually, if I was ranking them. It would have made the album cut for me, for sure.

Michele

jbrownsjr 06-19-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1096528)
Me too. That's one of my favorites actually, if I was ranking them. It would have made the album cut for me, for sure.

Michele

The lyrics kind of bother me on this one as well...

"One thing could lead to another, I believe we should stay sister and brother.
Oh don't you that I'm human?" And you are sexy knight".. :laugh:

Sounds like a movie soundtrack that she wrote the song and video for album soundtrack. :laugh:

michelej1 06-19-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1096539)

"One thing could lead to another, I believe we should stay sister and brother.
Oh don't you that I'm human?" And you are sexy knight".. :laugh:

She says "and you are a sexy man" or were you just kidding?

Well, she does use the line "moth to a flame" in this one as well. But I enjoy her delivery and the music so much, I didn't dwell on the cliches like I do with Liar.

I would say Come Out to Play would make my top 5 of Meantime songs.

Michele

jbrownsjr 06-20-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1096569)

Well, she does use the line "moth to a flame" in this one as well. But I enjoy her delivery and the music so much, I didn't dwell on the cliches like I do with Liar.

Michele

twas kidding.... but yeah I love the tone of her voice on this track.. reminds me of the same timbre used in Bad Journey... very nice delivery..

Ulpian 06-20-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1096569)

Michele

I cringe at COTP. The lyrics seem starkly puerile to me. I'm not fond of the lyrics of Calumny either, but it's such a beautiful song otherwise that I can get over that pretty easily.

Chris_Lover 07-18-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca (Post 1092144)
Eddy Quintela was a musician and song writer before crossing paths with Christine. He was very talented in both areas and the songs are great but the heavy-handed, usually boringly synthesized, product that was produced in those years doesn't stand up well I don't feel. People like Buckingham are to blame spending over a year per album polishing and tweaking... it probably really got started with Brian Wilson and John Phillips before him though. I would love to have earlier versions of all those songs!

I gave away the double LP Tusk after one listen in 1979-80, so if someone did the same with Time I can't really fault them on just that. I didn't even buy Time myself until quite some time later. I like and respect Buckingham as a guitarist and singer, but most of Tusk belonged on a solo album of his own.

I agree with Becca when she says that those songs Chris wrote in the mid 80s were heavily synthesized and sounded very similar to LB songs from Tusk onwards (with all due respect to his fans), but imho Quitela era wasn't that bad. Some of her masterpieces have been released during that time, just think about "Ricky", "Little lies", "Everywhere" and "Isn't it midnight"...anyway, we are talking about the 80s, the era of synthesizers and first computers, so it's no wonder if she too was fascinated by new technologies applied to music back then. :shrug:

michelej1 10-18-2013 01:18 PM

October 18, 2013, This day in history:

http://www.wplr.com/home/2013/10/18/...y-october-18th

1986: Fleetwood Mac singer and keyboardist Christine McVie got married for the second time, marrying Portuguese composer Eduardo Quintela in London. The couple would later divorce in the mid 1990’s.

HomerMcvie 10-18-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1107863)

1986: Fleetwood Mac singer and keyboardist Christine McVie got married for the second time, marrying Portuguese composer Eduardo Quintela in London. The couple would later divorce in the mid 1990’s.

Does anyone know if they had a pre-nup, or if he walked with a boatload of money when they were done?

jbrownsjr 10-18-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1107863)

Are there any photos of the wedding?

michelej1 10-18-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1107883)
Are there any photos of the wedding?

I wonder what she wore to the wedding.

Michele

jbrownsjr 10-18-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1107900)
I wonder what she wore to the wedding.

Michele

Knowing her, the Seven Wonders outfit. either one of them.. . (which I love those btw)

Hellolovely 10-19-2013 09:02 AM

I remember an article saying they had a small ceremony in London with family and close friends, and that the bride did not wear white to the wedding.

I also like to think Chris's "team" would have made sure she was protected financially. It isn't like Eddie would have needed the money anyway - the way I understand it he comes from a very wealthy family.

Villavic 10-22-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellolovely (Post 1107942)
I remember an article saying they had a small ceremony in London with family and close friends, and that the bride did not wear white to the wedding.

Seems band members weren't at the wedding, and no party like Mick's wedding (a youtube video of this was posted months ago, where you can see Stevie dancing)

Wendy Welch 10-28-2013 12:25 AM

Eddie?

Firstly, you should know I was around and had quite a few dinners and parties with Eddie Q. I must say you are all very misinformed about him. I personally have an opinion along with my dead husband about Eddie co-writing any of the songs with Christine. At the time all of the insiders would make fun of the Broke younger Duke Eddie that married Christine for her money, as per Judy Wong. Also, the insiders said that Eddie married her for her money and she married him for the title and his youth. But that is just what I heard and cannot back it up with facts. Also I was told that he cheated with her assistants, which caused the divorce:shrug:. Of course, this could be just rumours, but they were certainly rampant among the FM band and insiders. But it might shed light on some of your misconceptions. I would like to hear something otherwise from those in the know. I would be interested to hear the rebuttal as well as you would!

Hellolovely 10-28-2013 03:46 PM

I work with someone who knows Eddie - I've heard he is a nice guy, and not at all "broke". His family is pretty wealthy and well known in his hometown. Him and Christine were together for quite a while so I can't imagine they didn't genuinely love each other, but yes, there are several rumors that he cheated toward the end. Apparently too, from what I've been told, Christine was quite heartbroken and did not really want the divorce.

Villavic 02-12-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Lover (Post 1098947)
I agree with Becca when she says that those songs Chris wrote in the mid 80s were heavily synthesized and sounded very similar to LB songs from Tusk onwards (with all due respect to his fans), but imho Quitela era wasn't that bad. Some of her masterpieces have been released during that time, just think about "Ricky", "Little lies", "Everywhere" and "Isn't it midnight"...anyway, we are talking about the 80s, the era of synthesizers and first computers, so it's no wonder if she too was fascinated by new technologies applied to music back then. :shrug:

Those "heavily synthesized" Chris songs from that era... I would love to listen them in more acoustic versions. It should be interesting.

Macfan4life 02-12-2020 06:46 PM

I always loved Eddy. He winked at me because he was playing keyboards and could not wave. During Christine's solo tour of 1984 she would take center mic for about 3 songs and he would come on stage and take her seat behind her keyboards. I was 14 and there with friends. We waved and he winked at us :)
I read this whole thread to make sure I had not commented on already. Yes Eddy wrote some great songs with Chris. However, Eddy was the inspiration for one of Chris's best songs ever Nights in Estoril. That song makes me want to visit Estoril.

jbrownsjr 02-13-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1256325)
I always loved Eddy. He winked at me because he was playing keyboards and could not wave. During Christine's solo tour of 1984 she would take center mic for about 3 songs and he would come on stage and take her seat behind her keyboards. I was 14 and there with friends. We waved and he winked at us :)
I read this whole thread to make sure I had not commented on already. Yes Eddy wrote some great songs with Chris. However, Eddy was the inspiration for one of Chris's best songs ever Nights in Estoril. That song makes me want to visit Estoril.

I love Sooner or Later and the beautiful atmospheric keys and strings tinkling away throughout the instrumental breaks. I believe that's a co-write w/ Eddy. It also has such a gorgeous melody. And Mick gives a sort of "syncopated" drum solo at the end.

David 02-13-2020 01:26 PM

What about I Do? Is that Eddie behind the pen?

Villavic 02-14-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1256341)
What about I Do? Is that Eddie behind the pen?

Yes, his name appears in the song credits.