The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Different Versions of Songs That Are Better (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53965)

aleuzzi 07-30-2014 10:19 AM

While I love to hear the alternative versions, I think FM usually makes the right decisions about what to put in the album.

The album versions of Oh Daddy and YMLF are smarter inclusions in the context of the record. There are a couple of exceptions: the first version of Second Hand News (amazing bass part) and the single version of Think About Me are better, I think, as is the extended ending version of Love in Store.

Demos are another story. I have found a number of demos or early roughs that are more enjoyable than the album versions. Everywhere, That's Alright, Smile at You, Bella Donna, the Mac's bluesy version of Beauty and the Beast, Hold Me, Planets of the Universe....

I think most of the 1974-76 live versions of Spare Me a Little far surpass the album version....

And with Christine solo, the acoustic version of Friend is one of her best sings ever. It's a crime that version isn't on the record.

goldustsongbird 07-30-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1136012)
While I love to hear the alternative versions, I think FM usually makes the right decisions about what to put in the album.

The album versions of Oh Daddy and YMLF are smarter inclusions in the context of the record. There are a couple of exceptions: the first version of Second Hand News (amazing bass part) and the single version of Think About Me are better, I think, as is the extended ending version of Love in Store.

Demos are another story. I have found a number of demos or early roughs that are more enjoyable than the album versions. Everywhere, That's Alright, Smile at You, Bella Donna, the Mac's bluesy version of Beauty and the Beast, Hold Me, Planets of the Universe....

I think most of the 1974-76 live versions of Spare Me a Little far surpass the album version....

And with Christine solo, the acoustic version of Friend is one of her best sings ever. It's a crime that version isn't on the record.

Completely agree!

Fannymac 08-01-2014 02:49 PM

The version of "Straight Back" that features more of Christine's backing vocals!

Johnny Stew 08-06-2014 09:13 PM

I definitely prefer the outtake version of "Oh Daddy," with Stevie's prominent backing vocals. Chris & Stevie singing together, just the two of them, is something we needed more of on FM's albums.

Villavic 08-22-2023 11:15 AM

I enjoy a lot listening Sara (3/10/79 Version) included in Tusk Deluxe [Disc 2]. But at the end I always choose the final Tusk version as my favorite.

Now, if there’s an alternative version, better to me than the final song, that is I don’t want to know (early take) included in Rumours: More From The Recording Sessions [Disc 3]. Lindsey really rocks at that performance.

KenB 08-23-2023 05:45 PM

Where can I get his “extended ending” version of Love in Store that you guys are posting about? How have I never heard that one?

WatchChain 08-23-2023 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1135571)
I really like Oh Daddy from the Rumours Expanded cd with Stevie 's voice much more prominent.

YES! This version of "Oh Daddy" is brilliant!

WalkAThinLine. 08-23-2023 11:17 PM

I prefer the version of "Beautiful Child" that appears on the alternate Tusk. Mick's drumming on the final recording is undynamic and the backing vocals are too obtrusive and less impactful than what we got on the alternate take.

The instrumental recording of "Mystified" also deserves a mention here.

WatchChain 08-24-2023 09:02 PM

I prefer the alternate take of "You Make Loving Fun" on the Deluxe version of "Rumours" with more prominent background vocals by Stevie on the chorus --

"feeling it's time to try/beginning to wonder why".

HomerMcvie 08-24-2023 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1287345)
I prefer the alternate take of "You Make Loving Fun" on the Deluxe version of "Rumours" with more prominent background vocals by Stevie on the chorus --

I agree 100%. I LOVE the alternate lyrics at the end.

Villavic 08-24-2023 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1287345)

Yes!! And the intro.

Macfan4life 08-25-2023 04:56 AM

I will throw in 2 Stevie solo tracks that are completely different versions not just a different mix or slightly alternate version.

How Still My Love - the alternate version is so radically different but just as good as the album track. Both are incredible but the alternate version is so powerful and the music is so radically different.

Sable On Blonde - the alternate version is so freaking good and better than the album track. I like Stevie's voice better and love how the song builds and builds. The ending just needed edited down for the album. I think Jimmy was making The Wild Heart more light rock and pop friendly and wanted Mick playing for maybe a little Mac magic. He was near bankruptcy at that time so maybe he really needed the money ;)

Wild Heart alternate version is much better than the slower more adult contemporary album version too

Macfan4life 08-26-2023 09:49 AM

I will go out on limb and say I like the Tusk version of Beauty and the Beast. I would not say I like it better than Wild Heart but I think it would have added something to Tusk in replace of Beautiful child or Storms. Its a bluesy folksy kind of song which is radically different than the piano/strings ballad Stevie turned it into. I will say her solo version is very nice with the strings and Roy. It was great on the Wild Heart tour but she never did that song justice again. Roy was gone and never returned. RAL era was coked out improvising that ruined the beauty of the song. OSOTM version was tranqulized out. The Tusk version has grown on me over the years.

BLY 08-26-2023 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1287380)
The Tusk version has grown on me over the years.

I’m disappointed this version wasn’t included on the Tusk box set. I also really liked this version. I don’t think I have it anymore in my collection. I trashed all the bad recording’s I had.

Macfan4life 08-26-2023 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1287381)
I’m disappointed this version wasn’t included on the Tusk box set. I also really liked this version. I don’t think I have it anymore in my collection. I trashed all the bad recording’s I had.

I know. Its ridiculous. We got 9 versions of I know I'm not wrong or something but no discarded Tusk songs? Its beyond crazy.
And Smile At You is not included in the Mirage box set either.
WTF
Yet we got those crappy Tango songs like Ooh My Love that were not really songs and raw demos. And no full Mirage concert. The HBO show on CD.
God help us.

Its really hard to be a Fleetwood Mac fan when these corporate record companies do this to us :eek: