The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "Temporary One" appreciation thread (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=19078)

strandinthewind 04-28-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
One of the MANY things about this song I really like is how Lindsey's guitar solo sounds like a honky-tonk piano instead of a guitar.

I agree. I also think that this songs rhythm is a classic rock and roll in its progession. She really is a talent and one sorely missed by me.

cliffdweller 04-28-2005 10:54 AM

I LOVE this song. LOVE IT!! It's my favorite Chris track from The Dance. I don't understand why more people don't like it. What's wrong with it?!?!?

cliffdweller 04-28-2005 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind
She really is a talent and one sorely missed by me.

Me too :nod: :(

amber 04-28-2005 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffdweller
I LOVE this song. LOVE IT!! It's my favorite Chris track from The Dance. I don't understand why more people don't like it. What's wrong with it?!?!?

I don't either. It really rollicks along.

PenguinHead 04-28-2005 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
I like for the title

"Sea that Divides Us"

That's not only a great alternate song title, but a good title for an album or a tour. Still, lets give credit to Christine for 'Temporary One," -- an unusual, intriguing and slightly ironic title. She could have chosen a more expected mudane title. Keep in mind ....Remember Me, Did You Ever Love Me, Believe Me, Say You Love Me, Think About Me, Got A Hold On Me... ;)

Personally, I really like the song. As someone else mentioned, as a swan song, Christine was consistently good 'til the end. I can overlook the heavily cliched chorus because it's so upbeat and features a group vocal. I particularly enjoy Lindsey's choppy guitar solo.

aleuzzi 04-28-2005 12:02 PM

I love it

I have always loved "Temporary One." And I love the wry suggestiveness of the title. In fact, when I first saw the dance on live tv I was blown away by the upbeat, hard-edged quality of the music. The look on Lindsey's and Stevie's faces reveal that they are discovering the joy of the chorus as they're singing it.

I'm not sure why so many people consider this song a throwaway tune or, in the words of one of my friend's, bland. I think it is a lively example of good-time rock in the manner of "Believe Me."

I find myself singing this all the time while I'm driving.

ontheEdgeof17 04-28-2005 12:03 PM

I love this song, too. I dance to it a lot.

The one thing I disliked was the placement. Why after ISA? It didn't seem to flow well. I think it would have fit better after Gypsy.

jbrownsjr 04-28-2005 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
I love this song, too. I dance to it a lot.

The one thing I disliked was the placement. Why after ISA? It didn't seem to flow well. I think it would have fit better after Gypsy.

Good point, maybe it's the flow that gets me.

face of glass 04-28-2005 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
It was a good way for her to end Fleetwood Mac, since this was her last Fleetwood Mac song.

I do like "Temporary One", but for me "All Over Again" will always be Chris' true swansong with Fleetwood Mac. "Temporary One" is just a random blip in the night after that. But it's still, as others pointed out, solid work.

chiliD 04-28-2005 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17

Despite some rare gems of running order*, tracking/running order of albums & concerts really has never been Fleetwood Mac's strong suit, IMVHO.

*- the HAEWAFY/I Loved Another Woman/Brown Eyes string of their 1987/88 tour was magnificent.

jbrownsjr 04-28-2005 02:01 PM

Quote:

Despite some rare gems of running order*, tracking/running order of albums & concerts really has never been Fleetwood Mac's strong suit, IMVHO.

*- the HAEWAFY/I Loved Another Woman/Brown Eyes string of their 1987/88 tour was magnificent.

ohhhhh i remember that! :nod:

Johnny Stew 04-28-2005 10:09 PM

Nothing to add to this conversation really, other than the fact that I, too, love "Temporary One."

"The sea that divides us is a temporary one... and a bridge will bring us back together...."

ontheEdgeof17 04-28-2005 10:41 PM

Quote:

I love that trifecta!!!!!!! :D

GDW/ISA/Silver Springs is another fav of mine.

all the same 04-29-2005 07:37 PM

I think the lyrics are great to this song, but I'm not crazy about the tune. I generally skip it... :sorry:

Hawkeye 04-30-2005 10:07 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE Temporary One. Its got to be in my top 5 Chris songs. Everything about it is great. The Guitar, Drums, Bass, lyrics and most of all the harmonies