The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stevie Collabarations With Other Artists (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60282)

Hawkeye 03-05-2024 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292677)
Gimme Shelter is the greatest "backing" vocal OF ALL TIME. They should have given her all the royalties from that song, because SHE MADE THE SONG.

I agree it’s the best Actual vocal but gimme shelter has quite a bit else
Going for it that actually equal that vocal. Maybe my favorite song intro of all time. One of the best bass/drum riffs I’ve ever heard. the song is still at least a 9 out of 10 without her and just goes up to 11 with her.

I think Stevie on Midnight Wind is the best example of a BG vocal making a song. And to a lesser extent her backing up Marylin Marrtin covering her own song in sorcerer might be the other greatest BG vocal being the highlight of a song.

This is really where Stevie’s lost the biggest step in my opinion. She’s gone from her BG vocals guaranteed to own a song and take it up at least 2 notches to sometimes barely noticeable or sometimes just terrible (the Elton John song) the only time this century really her backing vocals have really positively impacted a song is that maroon 5 song. That includes all her SYW harmonies

BLY 03-05-2024 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=Hawkeye;1292699

I think Stevie on Midnight Wind is the best example of a BG vocal making a song. And to a lesser extent her backing up Marylin Marrtin covering her own song in sorcerer might be the other greatest BG vocal being the highlight of a song.

This is really where Stevie’s lost the biggest step in my opinion. She’s gone from her BG vocals guaranteed to own a song and take it up at least 2 notches to sometimes barely noticeable or sometimes just terrible (the Elton John song) the only time this century really her backing vocals have really positively impacted a song is that maroon 5 song. That includes all her SYW harmonies[/QUOTE]

I always loved when Stevie added her back vocals back in the day. Stevie’s vocal made Gold a hit for John Stewart.
I agree with the above but don’t forget the Walter Egan tracks. Won’t you Say you Will, Feel so Good, When I get my Wheels, Blonde in the Blue T Bird, Finally Found a Girlfriend, Yes I guess I am. Just to name the stand outs.

Her vocals were her best back in the late 70’s.

BigAl84 03-06-2024 09:28 AM

IMO part of the problem with her recent vocal collaborations have been the arrangements. A lot of times they're not quite a true duet, the primary artist will sing three quarters of the song and Stevie has a verse to herself in the back half of the song or her background vocals kind of come and go throughout the song in a bit of an inconsistent way.

bombaysaffires 03-06-2024 05:25 PM

Another oldie classic is Stevie's backing vocals on Mohammed's Radio (Warren Zevon) and of course Magnet and Steel (Walter Egan). I have a vocals-only track of that song and it's great! And of course,Whenever I Call You Friend (Kenny Loggins).

More recently, I think she blended really nicely with LeeAnn Rimes on Borrowed. Excellent.

BLY 03-06-2024 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1292721)
Another oldie classic is Stevie's backing vocals on Mohammed's Radio (Warren Zevon) and of course Magnet and Steel (Walter Egan). I have a vocals-only track of that song and it's great! And of course,Whenever I Call You Friend (Kenny Loggins).

More recently, I think she blended really nicely with LeeAnn Rimes on Borrowed. Excellent.

Yes, I agree all these vocals were amazing! Let’s not forget her vocals on Sandy Stewart’s solo album.

Villavic 03-15-2024 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1292721)
And of course,Whenever I Call You Friend (Kenny Loggins).

When I got the Kenny Loggins GH CD in 1997, I had kind of an Unexpected FM moment, cause I knew but didn't remember Whenever I Call You Friend song. Actually I have no idea it was a duet with Stevie; by 1978 I wasn't a genuine FM fan, I was 12 and starting to know about rock bands (plus I was in my Donna Summer phase).

And that's another evidence that radios don't play cool oldies beyond the classic well known hits (How deep is your love, Hotel Californa, Summer Nights, Dreams) of the late 70s.

By the way the WICYF included in Kenny's CD is longer than the Enchanted edition. It has a cool 8 seconds intro, missed in Enchanted.

sue 03-15-2024 03:07 PM

If we were talking about up-to date collaboration..which we arenÂ’t but
we can imagine..
I would choose Keith Urban, young(ish), good looking,(ish)Â…can sing.
Writes his own stuff and his music is loosely country, which would suit Stevie.
IÂ’m not a big fan of his but he rocks a tune along..

WatchChain 03-16-2024 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye (Post 1292699)

This is really where Stevie’s lost the biggest step in my opinion. She’s gone from her BG vocals guaranteed to own a song and take it up at least 2 notches to sometimes barely noticeable or sometimes just terrible (the Elton John song) the only time this century really her backing vocals have really positively impacted a song is that maroon 5 song. That includes all her SYW harmonies

This is so true. Stevie was an amazing harmony vocalist at the beginning of her career. Her harmony and background vocals had the ability to transform a song, even with Fleetwood Mac. Some great examples have already been mentioned, "Gold" and "Magnet and Steel" among them.

Stevie also serves transformative harmony vocals on Tom Petty's "Insider", Fleetwood Mac's "Honey Hi" and "Love in Store", and Sandy Stewart's "Get My Way".

The producers should have left more prominent harmony vocals on the chorus of the studio version of "You Make Loving Fun", there are some mixes of the song that feature her more prominently, but they are absent on the Rumours version.

David 04-02-2024 01:08 PM

Remember when Stevie sang “Smiling Islands” with Robbie Patton?

Remember when Stevie sang something-or-other with Dane Donahue? Neither do I.

BigAl84 04-03-2024 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1293198)
Remember when Stevie sang “Smiling Islands” with Robbie Patton?

Remember when Stevie sang something-or-other with Dane Donahue? Neither do I.

Remember when Stevie sang I Got You Babe with Phil Donahue? That went up like the hindenburg. :D:D:D

David 04-03-2024 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1293223)
Remember when Stevie sang I Got You Babe with Phil Donahue? That went up like the hindenburg. :D:D:D

In the eyes of the world, she has done so much, but she’s up against the wall, Al.