The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Gift of Screws Reviews (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=37031)

jbrownsjr 09-15-2008 06:06 PM

haha i got two new pages in a row....

strandinthewind 09-15-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackaghost (Post 773490)
Didn't he do a lot of UTS on the road too? Some of the new album may have been recorded that way as well.

I think he did. In the end, FM has always had little sniglets of stuff left on tape a la the voices at the beginning of The Chain, the song Tusk, Save Me a Place, etc.

jbrownsjr 09-15-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind (Post 773495)
I think he did. In the end, FM has always had little sniglets of stuff left on tape a la the voices at the beginning of The Chain, the song Tusk, Save Me a Place, etc.

sniglets.... haha... old term from NNTNews...

justcrazylove 09-15-2008 06:27 PM

AJ your just loving blowing your own horn!, no one cares about your "friend" Tom and your record and your accounting degree, i saw you at the Seattle show and lets be honest there is an obvious reason why your who are and Lindsey is the man who is currentley on a national tour under his own name! you might not like the production work, but by no means can you sit there and make outlandish statements regarding his vision and musical direction....YOUR A NOBODY!

LukeA 09-15-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justcrazylove (Post 773502)
AJ your just loving blowing your own horn!, no one cares about your "friend" Tom and your record and your accounting degree, i saw you at the Seattle show and lets be honest there is an obvious reason why your who are and Lindsey is the man who is currentley on a national tour under his own name! you might not like the production work, but by no means can you sit there and make outlandish statements regarding his vision and musical direction....YOUR A NOBODY!

Yep, that pretty much sums it all up.

ajmccarrell 09-15-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justcrazylove (Post 773502)

First off, learn to spell and punctuate, according to you, I own "nobody" because you used "your" in a posessive context.

How would you know it was me? I wasn't playing anything, I came by myself and mostly just stood around waiting for the concert, I never said who I was and never really talked to anyone except the nice lady who held my camera for my Lindsey pics and to Lindsey himself, so what exactly makes me anything or nothing? Besides, who the hell are you? I can't recall seeing you. I think you're just lying about stuff. If you're so emotionally stunted that you can't take hearing minor criticisms of Lindsey's mixes, go to www.iworshiplindsey.com. I think you're just jealous, frankly.

Yep, Lindsey's a great showman and I'm not. I'm a songwriter and that's why I hired someone to be the frontwoman of my band. I understand I'm not a dynamic guy, I'm quite boring in person. The national tour I did have over ten years ago was as a classical guitarist with a group of other musicians and artists, which is probably very boring to you. I did not headline anything, but was a guy they brought along simply because the director of the tour was dating a friend of mine. They were all tuxedo affairs and dinners where politicians gave speeches for the 1998 elections. I haven't done anything like that since and have no interest in doing it again. I like doing music on the internet and have had over 80,000 myspace hits thank you. It's a hobby and I have no interest in putting out angst filled albums about how the labels have screwed me. I do soft pop and am unlikely to ever chart beyond the AAA charts. I did chart at #2 locally behind Brandi Carlile. I have no pretentions of anything beyond that, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't try.

As far as people not caring about Tom, I guess that's why this board just devoted a Q & A to him. LOL!

I was expressing an opinion here on an album, the same as anyone else has been and said that based on my limited experience in actually putting albums together, I don't get why he did certain things, but I overall like the album. You can't listen to anyone criticize your god-like hero, go cry in your corner! He's just a musician, same as anyone else..... And yes, he can do wrong sometimes.

Yes, I have an ego. So friggin' what?! I joined the board essentially to advertise at first and I like to join the discussions and plug my projects, and also it's nice to talk to other LB/FM fans. So, boo friggity hoo! You have a problem, put me on ignore and shut up. :) :laugh:

ajmccarrell 09-15-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeA (Post 773507)
Yep, that pretty much sums it all up.

Same to you, if you don't like me. You have the option of ignoring me. :wavey: BTW I am allowed to not like certain directions Lindsey decides to go in. I am free to express my opinion and make suggestions, if you don't like them, you don't have to listen. I suggested Tom because they've worked together and he's a professional mixer. So, what's your point?

LukeA 09-15-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmccarrell (Post 773512)
Same to you, if you don't like me. You have the option of ignoring me. :wavey: BTW I am allowed to not like certain directions Lindsey decides to go in. I am free to express my opinion and make suggestions, if you don't like them, you don't have to listen. I suggested Tom because they've worked together and he's a professional mixer. So, what's your point?

AJ, it's all well and good that you're an accountant and also play music on the side in a band with a couple of guys who knew Lindsey 35 years ago. Really.

However, using those "credentials" to suggest the notion that Lindsey's choice of production values/methods is directly related to his supposed dire financial situation isn't as much of an educated opinion as it is uninformed bluster.

mgikallaroundme 09-15-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmccarrell (Post 773512)

Too funny! My grandmother is a professional mixer. You and Tom have superior taste and know more about recording than the most accomplisehd individual in the history of recorded music? Shame on LB not taking direction from one of his ex flunkees and a kid who doesn't know his own music producer. :laugh:

ajmccarrell 09-15-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeA (Post 773517)
AJ, it's all well and good that you're an accountant and also play music on the side in a band with a couple of guys who knew Lindsey 35 years ago. Really.

However, using those "credentials" to suggest the notion that Lindsey's choice of production values/methods is directly related to his supposed dire financial situation isn't as much of an educated opinion as it is uninformed bluster.

I think you misunderstood me, or I didn't elaborate. When looking at CD jackets for my own CD, the cheapest were what GOS is packaged in. Also, using very cheap and or free stuff, IE the goofy percussion, that comes with standard DAW systems, as well as downscaling his house, etc. It all sounds like he's counting his pennies. I could be wrong too. I didn't use my "credentials" to suggest that.

Tom actually still knows and occasionally talks to Lindsey. I brought him up because I thought he might be a better mixer than Mark Needham and LB already knows him. Simple as that.

ajmccarrell 09-15-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgikallaroundme (Post 773519)
Too funny! My grandmother is a professional mixer. You and Tom have superior taste and know more about recording than the most accomplisehd individual in the history of recorded music? Shame on LB not taking direction from one of his ex flunkees and a kid who doesn't know his own music producer. :laugh:

I actually do know Charlie and have been to his house a few times, so what are you talking about? Tom has a platinum record and a gold record. Charlie has a great deal more than Lindsey does and a couple more Hall of Fame awards. Besides, LB actually copied Charlie's horn concept for "SGCYM", he said he used the Memphis horn sounds, which Charlie originated. I cannot speak for Tom, he would speak for himself.

What exactly are your grandmother's credentials? :laugh:

I was trying to express an opinion, not get into a pissing contest.

MacMan 09-15-2008 07:55 PM

Lindsey Buckingham's latest is a 'Gift' indeed

By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News
Monday, September 15, 2008

Gift of Screws has taken years and various U-turns to finally make it into stores today. The album became a bit of a legend among Lindsey Buckingham fans when bits of it were played live with Fleetwood Mac in 1997. Bits of it slipped out around 2000, five years after he'd started it.

But the album got derailed twice, first when songs were cannibalized for much of the Fleetwood Mac album Say You Will and again when a few more tracks turned up on Buckingham's solo album Under the Skin.

So, what fans hear now may be far from how this album was conceived all those years ago, but despite coming in dribs and drabs, the finished album is worth the wait.

Out of the Cradle, his third solo album, from 1992, hit the high mark for many Buckingham fans. It kept his quirky nature but mixed in more lush, traditional songwriting in gorgeous tracks like Don't Look Down and You Do or You Don't. His past couple of solo albums have been sparser and more experimental, with Buckingham at times exploring what his fingers could do on the fret board (and how fast they could do it) rather than putting melody first.

That can be fascinating on tracks like the opening Great Day, but the finger-picking style that Buckingham has become partial to over the years can be a bit excessive at times, impressive as it is.

But Gift of Screws comes closer to that Out of the Cradle sound than anything else he's done since. Love Runs Deeper could have found a spot on any Buckingham solo album (and would have sounded great on Say You Will), filled with classic acoustic guitar as well as warm harmonies and sweet, melodic electric leads. Underground could have fit on Rumours or Tusk, a sweet melody with simple voice and guitar.

Gift of Screws gives an explicit idea of where Buckingham's mind is these days. "In my younger days / I was mistaken for a whore / I guess you could say / I lived in chains," Buckingham sings in Bel Air Rain, a slap at the record industry that once championed him but of late has stymied his creativity.

He takes a look at the bigger picture in the title cut, classic off-kilter Buckingham, a rock song pierced with the occasional maniacal laugh and lyrics like "Authority makes us bleed, bleed, bleed ... Authority keeps us down, down, down," and in the equally political closing cut, Treason.

With 10 tight songs and a more focused viewpoint, Gift of Screws ends up being his second-best solo album - very good company to be in.

Lindsey Buckingham
Gift of Screws
Reprise Records
Grade: B

To hear an excerpt of Love Runs Deeper from Lindsey Buckingham's Gift of Screws, go to RockyMountainNews.com/extras.

MacMan 09-15-2008 08:10 PM

LISTENING STATION: Lindsey Buckingham's 'Gift'
Lindsey Buckingham
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Washington Times

Lindsey Buckingham
Gift of Screws
Reprise/Waner

At every turn, "Gift of Screws" reminds the listener of Lindsey Buckingham's eclectic brand of pop songwriting.

Some of the 10 songs on this new album have been in progress for the better part of a decade. Some reprise themes of songs from the 2003 Fleetwood Mac reunion album, "Say You Will." Rather than sounding like retreads, however, the recordings feel vibrant and contemporary for the most part while retaining the familiar sounds of Mr. Buckingham's virtuosic guitar playing. It's all the more familiar because the Fleetwood Mac rhythm section (Mick Fleetwood on drums, John McVie on bass) joins in on a few tracks.

"Time Precious Time" is an acoustic ballad that opens with a frenzy of finger picking and a soaring vocal line. There is a muddled intensity to it, like a prelude struggling to transform into a theme. The rapid-fire arpeggios race harplike up and down the fret board as the singer repeatedly intones the title.

"Love Runs Deep" opens with an acoustic guitar and quick bass line - and until the electric guitar picks up, it could pass for a semisweet Coldplay song. Then the Fleetwood Mac vibe quickly intrudes in the form of harmonized vocals and a gritty guitar solo.

At 58, Mr. Buckingham seems eager to assert that he hasn't lost a step as a guitarist. He turns in another blisteringly fast acoustic picking effort with "Bel Air Rain," a speedy but downcast minor-key lament. More upbeat is "The Right Place to Fade," which opens with a cheerful cross of acoustic strumming and an electric solo.

The album's title track originally was scheduled for inclusion on "Say You Will." It's a weird, alluring mix of new-wave pop and garage rock with a peculiar squealing chorus that sounds as if it could be a B-52s outtake. It's also oddly out of step with the rest of the album, if only for its punkish bass line and shouted vocals.

"Did You Miss Me" is the most memorable track on "Gift of Screws."With its distinctively Coldplay-like intro, it's a sweet and rueful pop song with honeyed accents concealing a bitter core. (Indeed, the resemblance at times is so pronounced that it might be worth inspecting Chris Martin.) On the chorus, plucked guitar notes play over the rhythm guitar like a bell sounding over an orchestra. Mr. Buckingham sings, "Did you miss me/ In the evening/ When everyone is bound to dream?"

Fans probably didn't miss Mr. Buckingham all that much. He weighed in just two years ago with the impressive acoustic album "Under the Skin." If anything, "Gift of Screws" is a more impressive outing. It's typical of older rockers to return to the spirit of their glory days on late-career albums. It's impressive, then, that Mr. Buckingham has produced a recording that looks forward as much as it looks back.

vivfox 09-15-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 773480)
Yes, he was so poor that he recorded Tusk in his bathroom, taped mics on the floor, and tapped the mikes cause he couldn't afford a mick. Your remarks are so dumb and prooving that you don't understand Lindsey's experiments, that I almost feel sorry for him that you don't hate his new album. I stop the discussion here, AJ. I can handle criticism and difference of taste, but I simply can't handle stupidity.

This was all very mean.
Speaking of not being very smart--see what I highlighted? If he can't afford a Mick maybe he can afford a John or a Stevie.:laugh:

Nico 09-15-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD (Post 773486)
GOS is my favorite Lindsey album.

Wow. Already? I still hold OotC on the highest possible pinnacle, just because I think it is one of the most beautiful things I have heard in my life, from start to finish. Plus, it basically made me a Lindsey fan- aside from watching the man perform on the "Live in Boston" show. But this album is really special. Like Great Day...it's such a weird song, but it's catchy to me and I'm really, really digging it at the moment. And RPTF is one of the best things he has ever done, probably outshining many of his "Cradle" songs...

And then there's the case of Under the Skin. It's such a mature album, and one of my close friends who wouldn't normally listen to Lindsey absolutely adores that album. I do as well. I love the quietness of it, and the production has never really bothered me. Yes I could do without Not Too Late, but beggars can't be choosers- and I was waiting a LONG time for Lindsey Buckingham to release an album. And now it's like a plethora. :laugh: