The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Katrina (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=22021)

wondergirl9847 08-31-2005 01:31 PM

You know what?

I don't think I can have sympathy for anyone who didn't heed the warning and get the frick out or at least TRY to get out. These people who stayed behind in their homes, in the attics, whatever...I do not get it. Some probably saw it as an opportunity to loot, I don't know, but they are just stupid. Efforts to save them, when they could have gotten out are wasted, when they could be saving people who NEED it.

Sorry, JMO.

strandinthewind 08-31-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nixxxed
I was talking about him cancelling his political speeches about Iraq, and birthday cake/guitar photo ops and getting to work for real. How would a flyover to see the damage for himself on Monday (or even yesterday) in any way impact the recovery efforts? It's not the same as if he were touring the Garden District in a swamp boat.

Anyway - go back to arguing with Chris! ;) :laugh:

Chris and I sure can argue :laugh:

But seriously, W has behaved without fault in this case and I am unsure how him getting in a mudboat and surveying the damage personally or even flying over it at 35,000 feet would demonstrate any more support than he has already demonstrated. Also, it would be a little presumptuous, even for the likes of him, to go in a move of bravada to an area being evacuated :shrug: Interestingly, no other President I can think of has haulted every other action in a situation like this - why is W being held to a higher standard.

wondergirl9847 08-31-2005 01:34 PM

No way

He should NOT be down in a boat, in that disgusting water, surveying, but a flyover was necessary for him to gauge this. Seeing it on TV is heartbreaking, I cannot imagine seeing it from overhead. :distress:

Too much security and sanitary issues for him to be down on the ground, but I'm glad he's up in the plane looking at the damage.

DrummerDeanna 08-31-2005 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I don't think I can have sympathy for anyone who didn't heed the warning and get the frick out or at least TRY to get out. These people who stayed behind in their homes, in the attics, whatever...I do not get it. Some probably saw it as an opportunity to loot, I don't know, but they are just stupid. Efforts to save them, when they could have gotten out are wasted, when they could be saving people who NEED it.

Sorry, JMO.

:nod:

A woman I work with is from Louisiana -and she was in NO this past weekend- and when the order came to get out - she GOT OUT!

When I interviewed her yesterday that was her main piece of advice- to get out when you're told...

That comes from a 50+ year resident of LA - she's only been up here for a couple of years...

So some pepole apparently do know to get out when they're told to.

lbelle1214 08-31-2005 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondergirl9847

Sorry, JMO.

I agree with ya! Now it seems that people are intentionally driving thru water...insurance claims to file, you know...it really takes the focus off the people who are in desperate need. Some people have no shame...

strandinthewind 08-31-2005 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbelle1214
Like I've said before, it's our difference that make us unique. I believe that everyone has a valuable opinion. Even yours! (Don't jump me...I'm just joking!) My son, my son-in-law, my brother, my dad...all military. So, my opinion is quite different. They tell me I do not know everything that's happening...there is a reason. I must believe them. I'm an outsider...I don't know what is REALLY going on...and it's probably best I didn't. But I do believe that OBL has it coming...just hide and watch...it'll be blind, without warning....just as it was done to us.

It would be nice if W gave $0.02 about OBL - but by his own admission, he is not really thinking about him anymore because W thinks OBL has been marginalized.

Also, I was talking not really about Iraq, which by itself was conjured in lies and deceit - making it worthy of my dislike of W.

I was talking about W and Rove's conscious use of gay people as scapegoats in the last election. I mean they deliberately used the mere thought of gay marriage or really any gay rights as a tool to whip up the even comparatively slightly religious people in this country to forget about the disasterous consequences of the ill conceived, planned, and executed war in Iraq. They knew people hated gay people so much that all could be forgiven in Iraq if gay people were stomped upon for daring to request that they be allowed the same Federal rights automatically given to straight married people because of religion. I shudder to think how many gay people were beaten out of hate as a result of this political move.

Then, they get the churches to say or imply that people will not get Communion if they vote for D's because D's are abortionists. Interestingly, the official position of the Roman Catholic Church is the death penalty is murder, just like abortion is to them. Yet, no mention of voting for R's, who support the death penalty, was ever mentioned. How is that correct and not hypocritical?

Those are just two of the things W and his posse have done to set back civil rights.

But, everyone has their own opinions - that is mine.

estranged4life 08-31-2005 01:50 PM

The mayor of....

N'Orleans is now saying "thousands are probably dead".

Faux News Channel is showing people trapped on top of a roof holding a sign that simply says "Help Us".

strandinthewind 08-31-2005 01:51 PM

I just heard that W will be going there tommorow. We'll see.

lbelle1214 08-31-2005 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind
It would be nice if W gave $0.02 about OBL - but by his own admission, he is not really thinking about him anymore because W thinks OBL has been marginalized.

Also, I was talking not really about Iraq, which by itself was conjured in lies and deceit - making it worthy of my dislike of W.

I was talking about W and Rove's conscious use of gay people as scapegoats in the last election. I mean they deliberately used the mere thought of gay marriage or really any gay rights as a tool to whip up the even comparatively slightly religious people in this country to forget about the disasterous consequences of the ill conceived, planned, and executed war in Iraq. They knew people hated gay people so much that all could be forgiven in Iraq if gay people were stomped upon for daring to request that they be allowed the same Federal rights automatically given to straight married people because of religion. I shudder to think how many gay people were beaten out of hate as a result of this political move.

Then, they get the churches to say or imply that people will not get Communion if they vote for D's because D's are abortionists. Interestingly, the official position of the Roman Catholic Church is the death penalty is murder, just like abortion is to them. Yet, no mention of voting for R's, who support the death penalty, was ever mentioned. How is that correct and not hypocritical?

Those are just two of the things W and his posse have done to set back civil rights.

But, everyone has their own opinions - that is mine.

I understand...and I pray that OBL also believes the first comment you made...it will make the revenge so much sweeter....I'm telling you...it's coming. Don't believe it has been dropped or forgotten.
As for the rest...I'm neither Democrat or Republican, although my Dad raised me to BE a democrat! I just have my own views....and I respect yours.

SuzeQuze 08-31-2005 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estranged4life
N'Orleans is now saying "thousands are probably dead".

Faux News Channel is showing people trapped on top of a roof holding a sign that simply says "Help Us".

Thousands??? Omigod! :distress:

gldstwmn 08-31-2005 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbelle1214
One of the Wal-Mart's over there opened their doors....if they weren't open already...to let people just take what they need. I believe in a situation like this you will find that people will share what they have...you don't have to steal.

They are not giving it away. They are, in fact, open for business. Just saw that report on MSNBC.

strandinthewind 08-31-2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Thousands??? Omigod! :distress:

My friends there tell me the amount of corpses is staggaring. Again, they are not collecting these yet and concentrating on the rescuing the living. They should, IMO, get these corpses out of the water as soon possible, though the raw sewage and already cholera infested water makes the immediate removal of the corpses (human and other) somewhat less exigent.

gldstwmn 08-31-2005 02:04 PM

Operation Cake Drop:

lbelle1214 08-31-2005 02:04 PM

The WM I saw was not open for business...there were Nat'l Guard personnel letting people in to get food.

I don't think the one letting people in to buy is the same one I was talking about....this one had their whole gun department wiped out by looters.

gldstwmn 08-31-2005 02:04 PM

I just have to say that I find the lack of empathy and compassion in the face of such a tragedy astounding.