PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Stewart question

demoguy
05-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Hello everyone, I have a question about Sandy Stewart. Does anyone know what she's doing lately? Other than the obvious (Cat Dancer LP, Blue Yonder LP) does anyone know of any other projects she's worked on (Besides the stuff with Stevie)? I heard a long time ago about a demo "Too attached to you" existed, anyone heard of it? Kinda hard to find out anything about her. Any help is appreciated.

iamstevienicks
05-20-2002, 01:22 PM
Whats 'Catdancer' like? I want it, for the obvious reasons, but is it any good?

demoguy
05-20-2002, 02:40 PM
It's a great album, I bought it the day it was released in Feb.1984, it never came out on CD. Several songs with SN, the best being the duet with SS called "I Pretend". Sandy was from Houston TX, lived in Riveroaks area (anyone from Houston out there?) and had a falling out with SN and the LP was never promoted the way it should have been by Modern Rec. - it had one 45 single "Saddest Victory" (Prophetic, Irony...) and one video for that song. I happened to tape it off MTV at the time, never to be seen again. SS called me (I've still got the ans. machine tape with the message) and I never heard from her again. Her sophomore effort "Blue Yonder" LP without SN wasn't as good, but not bad either. Just wondering if anyone else knows what happened to SS, seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth!

Johnny Stew
05-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Hi Demoguy,

I really don't have any new info on Sandy, but it appears that her career is now focused on songwriting, as opposed to also recording.

Since 1984, Stevie has recorded several songs that Sandy has written or co-written ("Seven Wonders," "Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind," "Unconditional Love," and "Too Far From Texas")... so whatever falling out they may have had, must have been patched up.

Besides Stevie, she's also worked with Tina Turner, Phil Collins, and Belinda Carlisle, among others.

Sorry I don't have more info!

Johnny Stew

demoguy
05-21-2002, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the info, Johnny. I don't think SS ever got her due for her talent. Hopefully she will make a new CD sometime and we can hear something new from her. The Blue Yonder LP came out in 1985 and she hasn't had any solo stuff since, that I know about. Too Bad! Thanks again for the info.

DWIG
05-21-2002, 09:54 AM
Hi
I read your message with great interest. I also bought the 'Cat Dancers' album all those years ago, the day it was released (I remember paying £9.99 for it, as a US import! and still have it in pristine condition!) It is one of my all time favourite albums and I have also searched for info about SS with little success (amazing to think that she actually called you though!). I also bought the Blue Yonder album on its release and love that album too!
The only real thing I can add to the other messages is that her songwriting partner David Munday now writes and records with Natalie Imbruglia, and I tried that avenue too, with no success!
I also love some of Sandy's work with other artists, such as Belinda Carlisle, Tina Turner, etc (i have a few others but can't think of them at the minute!)
I do hope somebody manages to get some news about what SS is up to, because I love her voice and songwriting skills!
(I heard from somenbody that she spent a while living in London, not sure if this is true!)
Anyone???????
DaveUK
oh, i just remembered something
Sandy sang on a song on Shea Segar's last album, called 'Blind situation', which is amazing.

FiercestCalmSea
05-21-2002, 10:49 AM
Wow i didn't realize she was on Shea's album...and that is one of my favorite songs too...I am gonna have to grab the cd and listen to it on the way to work npw..thanks for the info...

David
05-21-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by demoguy
Sandy was from Houston TX, lived in Riveroaks area (anyone from Houston out there?) and had a falling out with SN [snip]
Word was at the time that Stevie sang all over Sandy's tracks, but Sandy decided to cut Stevie's vocals back to just a couple of tracks for the final album & this caused the rift.

I figured the rift was patched up once Stevie told the press in 1987 that her "good friend" Sandy Stewart sent her a song to do & Stevie submitted it for Fleetwood Mac's album.

Sandy made a dumb move. I wish that "Cat Dancer" album had Stevie Nicks all over it. I listened to it again a year or two after it was released, & thought it sounded terribly dated & the production is not very interesting.

demoguy
05-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Hi Dave,
Wow! I can't believe there are other SS fans out there. A little story: After hearing the Cat Dancer LP and loving it, I wrote a letter to SS C/O Modern Records, telling her that I heard about the rift between her and SN (it had just happened at the time, and few knew about it), and I guess she was surprised that some stranger knew about something personal that had happened between her and Stevie. That's probably why she called me, to find out who the heck I was and how I knew this! Unfortunately, I wasn't home when she called and my answering machine picked it up, and when I came home, there was this message from her. I was shocked to say the least. She said she'd call back, but never did. I even wrote another letter, but never heard from her again. Ah, the disappointment...
I think she's talented (and very cute)...ever see the video for "Saddest Victory"? Wow.
I listened to the Cat Dancer cassette in my car every day on my way to work for almost a year. Must have heard it over 500 times...never got tired of it. I made a CD out of it last year and still listen to it occasionally. Blue Yonder wasn't quite as good, but still very good.
I had some Cat Dancer Posters I sold a few years ago, they were rare, but not a lot of demand.
Of course I still have the Cat Dancer LP and Original Cassette, as well as the Saddest Victory 45 with Picture Sleeve, and the Blue Yonder LP, all in perfect condition.
I'd like to stay in contact with you! Maybe between us we can find out where SS is and get in touch with her and let her know she does have some fans out there still. Anyone else out there a fan? Let's hear from you!

iamstevienicks
05-21-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by DWIG
oh, i just remembered something
Sandy sang on a song on Shea Segar's last album, called 'Blind situation', which is amazing.

Wonderful, I didnt realise anyone else knew who Shea was :D

Do u know what Shea is up to Dave?

DWIG
05-21-2002, 04:11 PM
demoguy,
that's a great idea, i would love to stay in contact.
I disagree about the Blue Yonder album, though. I think it is a step forward, and out from under Stevie's wings. I used to have the cassette of that album, but sent it to someone, so they could put it onto CD for me (which they did! but didn't return the cassette).
Maybe we could compare the stuff we have. I will have to rack my brains to think of the stuff i have (have you heard Stevie's demo '0ne more tomorrow'?). Did you know about the Shea Segar track (i think that is the latest thing - i also have a track by a singer called victoria matthews - i think is her name - called 'Friday's child). What did Sandy say when she rang you?
I love the sound of Stevie's and Sandy's voices together - i don't think i have ever heard Stevie sing with anyone more suited to her voice.
I have never seen the 'Saddest victory' video. What happens in the vid? Is Stevie in it?
Have you heard the version of Are you mine - where Stevie sings with Sandy and, i think lori or Sharon?
Send me you r e mail and we will keep in touch.
Dave

DWIG
05-21-2002, 04:13 PM
sorry forgot to reply to iamstevienicks' question!!
I sent a couple of messages to Shea's message board to try to trace some info about Sandy Stewart, but didn't get any replies. I know she has a fairly good website, so you should check it out for the latest news.
Cheers

demoguy
05-22-2002, 01:26 AM
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. The Blue Yonder LP was also very good, don't get me wrong, but I just liked the Cat Dancer LP more. Maybe cause it was drilled into my head by playing it so many times, I dunno. I was able to squeeze both LP's onto one CD so I can hear it all without stopping. Great!!
Never heard of Shea Segar, so I'll be scouring Grokster to find a copy of it. To be honest, I've been out of the FM "limelight", basically out of circulation for about 6 or 7 years, and we didn't have the internet back then to stay in touch with others. So until recently, I haven't done much, and now I'm curious about what's happening with a new generation of FM fans. Meanwhile, I am happy to find another SS fan to share tidbits with.
I didn't know about Victoria Matthews either! I know she (SS) was involved with the "White Nights" soundtrack years ago, but can't remember the name of the song she was on (memory getting weak now...) at least, I think she was on a song there. Geez, I should've written some of this down!!!
When SS called me, as I recall (gotta find that answering machine tape!) she said "Hello, ___, this is Sandy Stewart. I got your letter today and I just wanted to call and thank you. I'm sorry you're not home, I'll call back later, but I was wondering..." and the lousy machine cut her off (it was an old model that would only record 20 seconds of message, and I've cursed it a thousand times since- sent it to an early grave). Never heard back from her. Subsequent attempts to contact her were fruitless. Couldn't use my FM connections, either, because her and SN weren't talking (due to aforementioned rift), so no one inside FM could help, not even John or Mick. I'm still disappointed all these years later that she never called me back!
As for the Saddest Victory Video, it starts with SS standing in the rain in the dark, then a scene of her sitting with the white haired guy from the band (D. Munday?) at a table in a restaurant, scenes of her playing the synth, DM in a phone booth with SS outside leaning against it, ends with a pan out shot of her standing in the rain again with arms outstretched "I'm laying on the ground, I'm laying on the ground...." Great Video, not high concept, but nice to watch (love those pouty lips!!). I haven't been able to watch it in a while but that's what I remember from it. Fueled a few late night fantasies...but let's not get into that!!!
I will try to think what all I have, on SS, it's not much. And it's packed away as I'm moving soon and won't have access to any of my stuff for two or three months. But I will eventually be able to get ahold of it and share what I have with you.
Glad to meet you, e-mail me sometime and stay in touch!

DWIG
05-22-2002, 05:03 AM
just remembered, it was wendy matthews not victoria....sorry

demoguy
05-22-2002, 08:48 PM
Hi Dave, I D/L that Shea Segar song last night from Grokster, but if SS is on it, couldn't prove it by me. Seems to be some background singer but I don't recognize her voice. Hmm...SheaSegar/SandyStewart - SS&SS? For a minute, I thought maybe she was using an alias, but listening to the song proved that theory wrong. I'll D/L the Wendy Matthews song tonight if I can find it out there. Thanks again, hope to hear from you soon!

sodascouts
05-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by demoguy
Hello everyone, I have a question about Sandy Stewart. Does anyone know what she's doing lately? Other than the obvious (Cat Dancer LP, Blue Yonder LP) does anyone know of any other projects she's worked on (Besides the stuff with Stevie)? I heard a long time ago about a demo "Too attached to you" existed, anyone heard of it? Kinda hard to find out anything about her. Any help is appreciated.

Blue Yonder! I have looked ALL OVER for this and have not found it. I can't even find info about it on sites like "All Music Guide" or on Ebay. It drives me crazy. I'd really like to hear it. Perhaps someone who has it could make me an MP3 of "Windsong"? I'd be really grateful!

My e-mail is: sodascouts@aol.com

demoguy
05-23-2002, 12:16 AM
"Come in out of the dark, where you kept your treasured heart too long.....make an angel in the snow, muse that wishing makes it so.... some are lost, some are found, in the wind, with the mountains tumbling down, come on now, let it breathe, over you, over me...."
From "Windsong" - probably the best song on the Blue Yonder LP, in fact it was supposed to be a single (I know because the album had a sticker on the front "Includes the single "windsong"). However, to the best of my knowledge, it was never released as a 45. Never heard it on the radio either.
Shame. Great rock song.
I'd love to post it on this board, or somewhere, but I don't have it on my HD at the moment, but believe me, eventually I will get it out there, if people want to hear it.
I'm really glad there are some other SS fans out there, too!!
I thought I was all alone on that. If anyone can add to this thread, please do so, if you know anything about SS or where she is or what she's doing.
Maybe we'll give her music new life, maybe they (Modern) would even release a CD if there's demand for it???

DWIG
05-23-2002, 06:10 AM
It is definately Sandy Stewart on Blind Situation, as i have the album and she is credited on it!
The Wndy Mathews track is called 'Friday's child' - can't remember if SS sings on it, but she either co wrote or wrote the track!
Cheers!!!
P.s
I think you can tel it is SS, that dark smoky vocal!!!
Dave

sodascouts
05-23-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by David

Word was at the time that Stevie sang all over Sandy's tracks, but Sandy decided to cut Stevie's vocals back to just a couple of tracks for the final album & this caused the rift.

I figured the rift was patched up once Stevie told the press in 1987 that her "good friend" Sandy Stewart sent her a song to do & Stevie submitted it for Fleetwood Mac's album.

Sandy made a dumb move. I wish that "Cat Dancer" album had Stevie Nicks all over it. I listened to it again a year or two after it was released, & thought it sounded terribly dated & the production is not very interesting.

I live in Houston and at the Houston show, before Stevie sang "Too Far from Texas" (which is my fave on the TISL album, along with the title track) she yelled out something to the effect of "The lady who wrote this song is in the audience! Sandy Stewart!" I didn't get to see her because I was too far back, but I think she stood up or something. It was cool!

demoguy
05-23-2002, 09:22 PM
Good info, and confirms what I thought all along, she is most likely back living in Houston where she came from, if she was there at the Houston show. Probably could do a search if I knew the area better, for people with the last name "Stewart" in RiverOaks. Betcha she is living there now.

Pyewacket
11-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I found this old thread by googling Sandy and Stevie's names. Obviously, "Too Far From Texas" shows that Stevie still supports Sandy's songwriting (and it's a great song). But has she had other artists cover her material? Or performed again on her own? If anyone has the video to "Saddest Dancer" -- which I saw one time in the 80s -- I'd love to see it again.

SortaSavageLike
11-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I found this old thread by googling Sandy and Stevie's names. Obviously, "Too Far From Texas" shows that Stevie still supports Sandy's songwriting (and it's a great song). But has she had other artists cover her material? Or performed again on her own? If anyone has the video to "Saddest Dancer" -- which I saw one time in the 80s -- I'd love to see it again.

Unfortunately, it would seem that Sandy Stewart's time in the spotlight didn't last very long. Catdancer was her only album. She may have had a falling out with Stevie over the past few years.

On an unrelated note, is your screen name a reference to the "Pye Wacket" lenticular missile, which was under development during the late 50s to defend the B-70 from Russian fighters and missiles? Or am I just being a crazy nerd? :laugh:

Pyewacket
11-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately, it would seem that Sandy Stewart's time in the spotlight didn't last very long. Catdancer was her only album. She may have had a falling out with Stevie over the past few years.

On an unrelated note, is your screen name a reference to the "Pye Wacket" lenticular missile, which was under development during the late 50s to defend the B-70 from Russian fighters and missiles? Or am I just being a crazy nerd? :laugh:

I thought the SS/SN falling out was in the mid-80s and now past. There was the cover song on "Shangri-La, which would suggest communication and collaboration...and the story (in the thread above) saying that Stevie pointed Sandy out in a fairly recent concert.

My name's not derived from a missile, it's waaaaay nerdier than that. It's the name of Kate Bush's cat, and the old name of many witch's familiars (cats).

JazmenFlowers
11-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I love Cat Dancer. it is one of those albums I listen to on repeat until I burn myself out. I haven't listened to it in a couple months though so it's probably time to break it back out.

Steviefan49
11-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I live in Houston and at the Houston show, before Stevie sang "Too Far from Texas" (which is my fave on the TISL album, along with the title track) she yelled out something to the effect of "The lady who wrote this song is in the audience! Sandy Stewart!" I didn't get to see her because I was too far back, but I think she stood up or something. It was cool!

Boy do I remember this!! I was sitting about 3 rows away from Sandy! LOL.. She was behind where we were sitting, and I SOOOO remember being excited, as I had a feeling she was in the audience that night! :p

JazmenFlowers
11-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Cat Dancer is OOP, right? I think so. and it's such a shame. here is a vinyl rip.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dimsaxd4z1o

soul_drifter333
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Didn't she have a song on a movie sountrack also?

Pyewacket
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks! I only have this (and Blue Monday) on vinyl, and any attempts to get them digital have ended up sounding murky!!

Robb

priestofnothing
11-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Here is a short MTV Interview with Sandy and also her video for Saddest Victory

<embed src="http://www.veoh.com/videodetails2.swf?permalinkId=v200787NhrG8RR9&id=173316&player=videodetailsembedded&videoAutoPlay=0" allowFullScreen="true" width="540" height="438" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://www.veoh.com/">Online Videos by Veoh.com</a>

Pyewacket
11-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Wow...you guys are awesome...and very quick about being awesome too! I've searched for these things for years and in one afternoon, boom. Here they are at my fingertips. I haven't seen that video since...geez, I'm embarrassed to say it might have been 22 years.

She reminds me of Martha Davis of the Motels in it more than of Stevie (as JJ Jackson says), both in looks and mannerisms. Still a great video...thanks so much for posting it!

Robb

equeen102289
11-09-2007, 11:41 PM
I love Cat Dancer. it is one of those albums I listen to on repeat until I burn myself out. I haven't listened to it in a couple months though so it's probably time to break it back out.

The Catdancer is one of my all time favorite albums. There's not a bad song on it imo. I think Sandy definitely never got the credit she deserved.

David
11-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I like "I Pretend" & "Saddest Victory" the most, but I think I also enjoy "Get My Way."

vermicious knid
11-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Notice how Stevie has one white lace glove and one black lace glove in that video.

gldstwmn
11-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Sandy was from Houston TX, lived in Riveroaks area (anyone from Houston out there?) and had a falling out with SN and the LP was never promoted the way it should have been by Modern Rec. - it had one 45 single "Saddest Victory" (Prophetic, Irony...) and one video for that song. I happened to tape it off MTV at the time, never to be seen again.

I never knew that there was a falling out between Stevie and Sandy. Apparently their relationship had recovered enough by '87 for her to record Seven Wonders?

equeen102289
11-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I like "I Pretend" & "Saddest Victory" the most, but I think I also enjoy "Get My Way."

Get My Way is probably my favorite song of hers. I also really like In the Rain.

SaidSomething
11-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi demolover and all concerned...

A while back I did a wicked google/yahoo etc... search looking for Sandy and I found out what she has been doing. She dedicates a lot of her time to a local charity where she composes and plays music to set to songs that sick little children write. She then sings back up. There are recent pictures of her on this website (...and I'm getting older too...) as well as a guest book. The charity is a very sad, but good sad thing. The foundation was set up by another woman and Sandy. You really should check out the page and read about it and what she/they do. They are so full of heart and soul.

I just have to tell you seeing the little kids and how sick they are really breaks your heart but, you'll leave the website counting your blessings. The photos also show even as sick as the little ones are their eyes are so bright with excitement and pride about singing and recording their own songs.

This is the site below. I'm not driving at anything here but, I hope you guys look at things a little differently in life now. I do. I lost my sister not long before I found this site and saw what these ladies are doing. I don't take my gifts or my life or the ones I love for granted anymore.

Jim

www.purplesongscanfly.org/home.html

Pyewacket
03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
^ Thanks for posting that, SaidSomething -- a little mystery has been solved. What a beautiful thing Sandy is contributing to.

GarboSpeaks!
03-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Wow. Sandy looks great! And what a great thing she is doing indeed! And above all, it's SO cool that she is working w/ an Anita. Anita's are cool. :lol:

I always thought Blue Yonder was a band she was with. Not the name of her album. Not "Blue Yonder by Sandy Stewart", but "Blue Yonder featuring Sandy Stewart." Obviously I don't have this album though I have been seeking it for years. I have a few SS 45's, and always looking for more. I love her, and loved the Cat Dancer lp. It's a little dated, sure, but still good music! I sure hope someone can get in touch w/her and see if she'll ever be up to anything new. I'd about die to see her w/ Sharon & Lori @ a solo Nicks outing. Those 3 voices harmonize especially well for/with Stevie!

Pyewacket
12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Sadly the veoh link to "Saddest Victory" has been removed and it has not re-appeared on youtube. Some other things -- weird things -- HAVE appeared, though. Well, one of them's REALLY weird, the other's just nice.

1. Someone made a photo montage video of "I Pretend" on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6nUDuzxWBc

2. Sandy apparently did a Japanese commercial for Kirin circa 1985...it's very odd as these Japanese commercials from the 80s tend to be. Brace yourself. It's pretty funny!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGNA9ubZJtI

DeeGeMe
12-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm a big fan of the Cat Dancer LP too. Sandy had a great voice-it's a shame her solo career didn't take off.

Pyewacket
12-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Just found one more thing -- a radio interview with Stevie and Sandy. It's a great look at "If Anyone Falls." Later, the interviewer gives some really pointed questions to Stevie, and she really steps up with some coherent and smart answers.

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SagfbDDoMyY

fleetwoodtrick
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Oooooh, thanks for the Cat Dancer link! I have the Stevie tracks, but not the others!
~Rhiya ;D

Fannymac
12-15-2008, 04:18 PM
O.K., here's some Sandy Stewart dirt I picked up interning at Modern!

1) Sandy almost asked to have "Seven Wonders" removed from TANGO IN THE NIGHT. Seems Stevie changed a number of lyrics AND the title (originally called "Aaron"), and Sandy was pretty upset. Paul Fishkin put it to her this way...."You can A) have the song for your next release, or B) leave it the way it is, let Fleetwood Mac release it, and make a ton of money! Needless to say, Sandy went with B!

2) The Blue Yonder album was actually Sandy's second album, but both Paul and Doug Morris felt it was easier at that time to market a group vs. a solo female artist, so they repackaged Sandy (with Dave) as a group.

3) And, yes, Stevie WAS on pretty much every track of CATDANCER. Having heard the original tapes, some of the cuts were better, some......not so much. I can see Sandy's point......she almost got lost on her own record!

4) Also, if anyone EVER comes across a B&W 8x10 promo shot of Sandy......she's one of four artists I haven't EVER been able to find something by (the others being Nickey Barclay, Joss Stone and Ben Taylor).

Remy
12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Could someone please re-post the Cat Dancer album? The link put up by Jazmen has expired....

Remy
12-15-2008, 06:02 PM
oh, never mind! I found it:
http://sharebee.com/d9ba80f6

marinnette
12-15-2008, 06:17 PM
oh, never mind! I found it:
http://sharebee.com/d9ba80f6

WOW! thank you! have benn looking for SS stuff for a long time! I'm already downloading "catdancer".

What do you else recommend me of hers? and what's more important...where can I found more material?

DeeGeMe
12-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know exactly what the nature of the rift was between Stevie and Sandy?

David
12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know exactly what the nature of the rift was between Stevie and Sandy?Stevie recorded backup vox on just about every song on CAT DANCER but when it came time to mix or release or whatever, Sandy didn't want to launch her solo career on Stevie's talent, so she -- Sandy -- mixed the tracks on her album without Stevie's vox (except for I PRETEND & SADDEST VICTORY).

This was in 1984. So already by that time, the two were estranged to the point that Stevie's proposed tour that year wasn't even going to use Sandy as the opening act -- it was to be Julian Lennon.

But I guess by 1986, when Fleetwood was making TANGO, Sandy sent her song to Stevie & they patched things up. It was a short rift, in Stevie Nicks time.

paleshadow
12-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Sandy -- mixed the tracks on her album without Stevie's vox (except for I PRETEND & SADDEST VICTORY).

Actually, Stevie's vocals are featured on "Get My Way", "Cat Dancers" as well as the duet "I Pretend". I've never heard her on " Saddest Victory", and she's not credited on it either.

DeeGeMe
12-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the answer! I'd always wondered about that. I still think it's a shame that Sandy didn't have a bigger career-loved her voice and I loved that album.

David
12-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Actually, Stevie's vocals are featured on "Get My Way", "Cat Dancers" as well as the duet "I Pretend". I've never heard her on " Saddest Victory", and she's not credited on it either.Yes, thanks for the correction. :thumbsup:

paleshadow
12-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes, thanks for the correction. :thumbsup:

No problem. I always wished she did sing on Saddest Victory. It would be cool for her to record a cover version of it.

michelej1
12-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Stevie recorded backup vox on just about every song on CAT DANCER but when it came time to mix or release or whatever, Sandy didn't want to launch her solo career on Stevie's talent, so she -- Sandy -- mixed the tracks on her album without Stevie's vox (except for I PRETEND & SADDEST VICTORY).

This was in 1984. So already by that time, the two were estranged to the point that Stevie's proposed tour that year wasn't even going to use Sandy as the opening act -- it was to be Julian Lennon.

But I guess by 1986, when Fleetwood was making TANGO, Sandy sent her song to Stevie & they patched things up. It was a short rift, in Stevie Nicks time.

That was an honorable move on Sandy's part, actually. She should have risen in Stevie's esteem.

Michele

gldstwmn
12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
O.K., here's some Sandy Stewart dirt I picked up interning at Modern!

1) Sandy almost asked to have "Seven Wonders" removed from TANGO IN THE NIGHT. Seems Stevie changed a number of lyrics AND the title (originally called "Aaron"), and Sandy was pretty upset. Paul Fishkin put it to her this way...."You can A) have the song for your next release, or B) leave it the way it is, let Fleetwood Mac release it, and make a ton of money! Needless to say, Sandy went with B!

Aaron? :confused: Was Aaron part of the lyrics? I thought Stevie only ad libbed a few things and that's why she got a writing credit. Thanks for the dirt. I hope she was happy with Too Far From Texas.

michelej1
12-21-2008, 10:15 PM
As if I could even imagine Stevie singing a song named Aaron, although her Grandpa might have liked that.

Michele

deribish
12-22-2008, 01:49 AM
is "aaron" what stevie was singing during the keyboard section between the verses...
the thing we always thought was "sara" .. or "tara"

could it be "aaron" instead???? (that's pretty cool if it is!)

gldstwmn
12-24-2008, 05:04 AM
is "aaron" what stevie was singing during the keyboard section between the verses...

Could be...

The Catdancer
12-25-2008, 04:16 PM
The way I understood it, it was "Erin", she was one of Sandy's best friends.

jrpjr
12-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Sandy Stewart is singing in a band called The Mark Beets Band. They are out of Houston Texas. They play local clubs there. Check it out on YouTube. Type in Mark Beets. Also if you google Mark Beets it will take you to his site -there are pics of Sandy. Music is pretty good but Sandy is only doing backup. I though Cat Dancers was one of the best albums of the 80's. I still frequently listen........"on the crossroads, just outside my home town...." I heard Stevie and Sandy's "issues" were over Stevie's drug use. Any truth/confirmation/opinion on this?

chriskisn
12-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I've only just listened to this album (thanks to the people that provided the links!) and thought Sandy sounded a lot like Pat Benatar? Anyone else think this?

Blue Yonder does seem almost impossible to find, I've seen the vinyl for sale a couple of times, but never seen it in mp3 form.

marinnette
12-27-2008, 07:51 PM
it seems like I'm not the only one who's been desesperatly looking for blue yonder. thought it was me for being so clumsy...but no!! it's really impossible to find it.
if someone can help us with a link...pleeeaaaasseeee!!!

jrpjr
12-28-2008, 12:28 AM
I think more like Martha Davis from The Motels. Sandy looks and sounds like her.

LukeA
12-28-2008, 02:11 AM
I think more like Martha Davis from The Motels. Sandy looks and sounds like her.

Sandy Stewart is a poor man's-- wait, make that homeless man's Martha Davis. Just my opinion, of course.

Martha Davis' connection with Stevie- they both turned down the chance to record "We Built This City"

marinnette
12-28-2008, 09:10 AM
see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neXNIGVBrZw

there's a post of somebody in youtube who says can upload blue yonder audio but doesn't know how to do it. damn I don't know how to do it neither.
somebody has blue yonder yeehhaaaa! it made my day.
hope there's a heavenly light who shows him/her youtube audio uploading secrets.

Remy
12-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I've been looking high and low for that album too, with no result... I've only found a site http://www.aor-fm.com/bands/1370_BLUE_YONDER.aspx
where you can listen to a part (!) of Wind song, the first track. Last.fm has that and secret miracle listed, but apparently, not available for listening....
Plus, i wrote a PM to the person you mentioned, Marinette....

marinnette
12-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I've been looking high and low for that album too, with no result... I've only found a site http://www.aor-fm.com/bands/1370_BLUE_YONDER.aspx
where you can listen to a part (!) of Wind song, the first track. Last.fm has that and secret miracle listed, but apparently, not available for listening....
Plus, i wrote a PM to the person you mentioned, Marinette....

seems like you are the "heavenly light"!! gonna check that site!
thaaaaaannnkkkkkssssssssssssssssss!!!
by the way...I love the kirin mets song!!!!! I'll investigate about it.

jrpjr
12-28-2008, 08:39 PM
I have this album. I am the YouTube phantom who said that. I got a message from someone today and told me how to get it on MediaFire. I am trying as we speak. It downloaded it and it has been saying "verifying file" for 30 minutes!!! Nothing is happening. I will gladly share. I have sent each song to another person on this ite and it was successful. Maybe he can get it on one of the upload sites. I am so sorry. I feel like I have teased all of you and i am a newbie to this site. I will get it to you guys somehow. Please be patient. Thanks. John

marinnette
12-28-2008, 09:03 PM
woooowww!!! thank you anyway. it's so amazing there are people like you sharing all their material, really. it makes you think: I love the world we live in! hahahaha.
maybe it would be easier for you to upload it somewhere like rapidshare, emule etc...just ideas.

I wish I could technically help you, but I am a total ignorant in this matter. I am sure somebody will give you a clue...there are people here very skilled in uploading and all that stuff that i don't even know how to call it.
The other day I went downtown Barcelona and I looked for that album everywhere (there are a lot of vintage recordings shops) and people were like:
Sandy... what??
So sad...sniiifff!

By the way...I know I am very very very insistant (capricorn, can't help it) but I've been all day singing the tune of Kirin Mets : goott a great feeling insiiide of mee and it's goooonna get better you seeee...somebody must know its name!

thankssssss thankkksssss

marina

BombaySapphire3
12-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Sandy Stewart is a poor man's-- wait, make that homeless man's Martha Davis. Just my opinion, of course.

Sorry for being somewhat off topic but has anyone ever heard anything by a late 1970s band assembled by La Nicks nemesis Glyn Johns called Lazy Racer..I saw one of their albums in the Wherehouse back in the day but it looked kind of lame so I didn't buy it..They were also said to be a destitute man's Fleetwood Mac .

chriskisn
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
I have this album. I am the YouTube phantom who said that. I got a message from someone today and told me how to get it on MediaFire. I am trying as we speak. It downloaded it and it has been saying "verifying file" for 30 minutes!!! Nothing is happening. I will gladly share. I have sent each song to another person on this ite and it was successful. Maybe he can get it on one of the upload sites. I am so sorry. I feel like I have teased all of you and i am a newbie to this site. I will get it to you guys somehow. Please be patient. Thanks. John

Thanks for the album John - I am uploading it onto rapidshare as I type and then I'll put a link up here for all to download. :)

chriskisn
12-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Ok finally I have uploaded it to rapidshare (going very slowly today), so here is the link. After all that I hope the link works!

http://rapidshare.com/files/177730317/Blue_Yonder.rar

Once again, thanks to Jrpjr for emailing me this album.

jrpjr
12-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks to you Chris. I was obsessed w/this issue most of the day. Like I said, it was a collaborative effort. I am new here and I'm glad I was able to assist w/this little project. Again, I am anxious to here reviews of this album by you folks. So please, critique.

LukeA
12-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Sorry for being somewhat off topic but has anyone ever heard anything by a late 1970s band assembled by La Nicks nemesis Glyn Johns called Lazy Racer..I saw one of their albums in the Wherehouse back in the day but it looked kind of lame so I didn't buy it..They were also said to be a destitute man's Fleetwood Mac .

Hmm... with vocalist Kelly Harland (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:gnfqxqe5ldke~T1 )

Apparently, they used to tour with Quarterflash (an old Portland band) Interesting...

chriskisn
12-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Hmm... with vocalist Kelly Harland (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:gnfqxqe5ldke~T1 )

Apparently, they used to tour with Quarterflash (an old Portland band) Interesting...

Quarterflash? Funny you should mention them... come to think of it - maybe Sandy Stewart sounds more like Rindy Ross than Pat Benatar.

LukeA
12-29-2008, 03:13 AM
Quarterflash? Funny you should mention them... come to think of it - maybe Sandy Stewart sounds more like Rindy Ross than Pat Benatar.

I've never heard anything from this Kelly Harland person, but parsing the (any) differences between Rindy Ross & Pat Benatar is more work than I care to do... lol :D

Remy
12-29-2008, 06:26 AM

Hey John! I PMed you on youtube. It's nice to see you here! Thanks for taking your time to help us with the album matter!
we've turned this sandy stewart topic into a multiple-site-engaging investigation... quite amusing! you're right Marinnette, it's stunning how unconditionally helpful people on the internet can be.
Thank you so much John, and also Chriskisn, for uploading!

chriskisn
12-29-2008, 06:34 AM
The other day I went downtown Barcelona and I looked for that album everywhere (there are a lot of vintage recordings shops) and people were like:
Sandy... what??
So sad...sniiifff!

There was mention of Quarterflash somewhere else on this thread. I remember going into a CD store many years ago and asking if she could order me in the two Quarterflash albums I was seeking (Take Another Picture & Back Into Blue) and the woman looked at me blankly and said "Who is Quarterflush?" :lol:

Chris K

marinnette
12-29-2008, 08:07 AM
thaaaaankkkksss to you all for blue yonder! I am downloading it!

having the worst christmas ever, this little things really make me smile. thanks John, thanks Chriskisn!!!
hey, we are a good investigative team (and very stubborn!). we are CSI...I mean, FSI:
Fleetwood Mac and related Stuff Investigation.

Still we don't know the name of that sooooonnngggg: gooot a great feeling inside of meee and it's gonnaaaa get better you seeeee....the video is like a Salvador Dali's nightmare.

P.S: yes...we all have played the role of the "album freak" looking for good music no one knows. ohhh quarterflash...love it. so when LB's GOS went on sale I decided not to go through that humilliation again (Lindsey what? LOHAN??? aaaghhhh) and ordered via Internet.

chriskisn
12-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Still we don't know the name of that sooooonnngggg: gooot a great feeling inside of meee and it's gonnaaaa get better you seeeee....the video is like a Salvador Dali's nightmare.

Well the closest I can think of is New Rose by The Damned - but not quite

I got a feeling inside of me
It's kind of strange like a stormy sea...

marinnette
12-29-2008, 08:38 AM
love it when everyone takes their interpretation of the lyrics hahahaha. capricorn will investigate about it!

ohhh when grace is falling is a great song!!! love the album.

jrpjr
12-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Now that the Blue Yonder thing is "solved," I want to somehow get in touch w/Sandy. That's how this whole thing started. I just got the Blue Yonder music like a year ago. Like some of you, i have been searching for this album for years.....well like 2 months really...but I would occassionally search for a day or so on the internet. But I aggresively searched for about 2 months, lead me to Kip Winger (who by the way was awesome, sent me several e-mails to help find it, very nice of him ...THANKS AGAIN KIP!!) which lead me to the person who sent me the actual "record,' which i will never use...probably should e-bay it....then i found her as she is today playing w/Mark Beets Band. I have contacted him to confirm this is actually her. He did confirm but offered no information to contact her. He didn't even reply when i asked if he could forward a message for me. Just want to let her know how much her Cat Dancer album was appreciated and of course the REAL SCOOP on her and Stevie. This was a great little journey and I forgot who said something about "having a bad Christmas" and that finding this music "made it better," the fact that this little ammount of time and effort actually made someone's Christmas.....made mine , so THANK YOU!! SEE YOU ALL AROUND THE LEDGE.

Remy
12-29-2008, 10:12 AM
I guess the kirin mets song was written exclusively for the commercial, since there's really no hint on the web whatsoever. still, good luck, capricorn :)

Fannymac
12-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Yep, it's "Aaron".....and I think Stevie tossed it in just to keep Sandy happy! (Personally, I always thought it was kind of cool!)

Remy
12-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Yep, it's "Aaron".....and I think Stevie tossed it in just to keep Sandy happy! (Personally, I always thought it was kind of cool!)
Wait- what song are you talking about? SW?

The Catdancer
12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
I downloaded the Blue Yonder album and when I extracted the files it said it was corrupt :shrug: Anyone else had this problem?

chriskisn
12-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I downloaded the Blue Yonder album and when I extracted the files it said it was corrupt :shrug: Anyone else had this problem?

Hmm...weird...maybe try downloading it again...enough people seem to have downloaded it in the past 24 hrs....

Alternatively I can do a .zip file for you and email you a link...

EDIT: Actually just downloaded it myself and it unzipped fine. If you can't get it to work then pm me and I'll work something out for you (however I'm going to bed now as it is almost 1am).

Chris

David
12-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Yep, it's "Aaron".....and I think Stevie tossed it in just to keep Sandy happy! (Personally, I always thought it was kind of cool!)Maybe it was just a ref vocal that Stevie assumed would be edited out, but Lindsey kept in because he liked it. He's been known to keep ref vocals & instrumentals in the final product.

fleetwoodtrick
12-30-2008, 05:48 PM
A Catdancer LP is on sale on eBay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/SANDY-STEWART-CAT-DANCER-PROMO-LP-STEVIE-NICKS-EXC_W0QQitemZ120355465393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item120355465393&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)

marinnette
12-30-2008, 06:05 PM

try again. if then, you can't listen to it, send me a private message. I can try to send you the album via msn or something.

chriskisn
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Tried playing this album last night while my wife and I were sitting outside having a few drinks. I'm hardly surprised but we only got to track five before she made me turn it off....

:(

jrpjr
12-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Tried playing this album last night while my wife and I were sitting outside having a few drinks. I'm hardly surprised but we only got to track five before she made me turn it off....

:(

Told you it sucked. I was VERY dissapointed when i first heard it. Three songs grew on me: Windsong, Indigo and In The Rain, the rest ......I see why it never made it to mainstream.

chriskisn
12-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Told you it sucked. I was VERY dissapointed when i first heard it. Three songs grew on me: Windsong, Indigo and In The Rain, the rest ......I see why it never made it to mainstream.

You know I actually quite like it, but then again I think it sounds like Pat Benatar & Rindy Ross (Quarterflash) and I like both of them. :nod:

The Catdancer
12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Hmm...weird...maybe try downloading it again...enough people seem to have downloaded it in the past 24 hrs....

Alternatively I can do a .zip file for you and email you a link...

EDIT: Actually just downloaded it myself and it unzipped fine. If you can't get it to work then pm me and I'll work something out for you (however I'm going to bed now as it is almost 1am).

Chris

I downloaded it again and it works fine now!!!! Thanks!

try again. if then, you can't listen to it, send me a private message. I can try to send you the album via msn or something.

It worked fine now. Thanks!!!! I love this album.

The Catdancer
01-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Found on an old disc: Saddest Victory and an interview from 1984. I don't know how long this might be up on Veoh so download if you can. Enjoy!!!!

<embed src="http://www.veoh.com/veohplayer.swf?permalinkId=v171099433R6frdEh&id=187187&player=videodetailsembedded&videoAutoPlay=0" allowFullScreen="true" width="410" height="341" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><font size="1">Watch <a href="http://www.veoh.com/videos/v171099433R6frdEh">Sandy Stewart</a> in <a href="http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos.html?category=category_music">Music Videos</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;View More <a href="http://www.veoh.com/">Free Videos Online at Veoh.com</a></font>

chriskisn
01-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Found on an old disc: Saddest Victory and an interview from 1984. I don't know how long this might be up on Veoh so download if you can. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks for posting that...great to watch!

marinnette
01-03-2009, 09:33 PM

<embed src="http://www.veoh.com/veohplayer.swf?permalinkId=v171099433R6frdEh&id=187187&player=videodetailsembedded&videoAutoPlay=0" allowFullScreen="true" width="410" height="341" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><font size="1">Watch <a href="http://www.veoh.com/videos/v171099433R6frdEh">Sandy Stewart</a> in <a href="http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos.html?category=category_music">Music Videos</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;View More <a href="http://www.veoh.com/">Free Videos Online at Veoh.com</a></font>

Oh MY! Catdancer, you're an angel! hahahahha Thankss a lot for sharing this!
That video was awsome! how did you get it? I loved SS part as well as when Stevie talks...she seems so happy and proud of Sandy. Who is the guy in the video? he appears in The Catdancer sleeve too. Is it Beau Hill?

vermicious knid
01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Sandy is so damn glum.

chriskisn
01-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Is it just me or does Stevie call her "Sindy" rather than "Sandy"? Or is it just the accent? (you have to remember I'm an Australian...)

The Catdancer
01-04-2009, 03:39 AM
Thanks for posting that...great to watch!

You're welcome!!!

The Catdancer
01-04-2009, 03:40 AM
Oh MY! Catdancer, you're an angel! hahahahha Thankss a lot for sharing this!
That video was awsome! how did you get it? I loved SS part as well as when Stevie talks...she seems so happy and proud of Sandy. Who is the guy in the video? he appears in The Catdancer sleeve too. Is it Beau Hill?

Why, thank you and you're welcome.
The guy in the video is David Munday.

The Catdancer
01-04-2009, 03:42 AM
Is it just me or does Stevie call her "Sindy" rather than "Sandy"? Or is it just the accent? (you have to remember I'm an Australian...)

No, it's not you. I think the first segment is about Cindy Lauper and then they cut to Sandy Stewart, but maybe I'm wrong and she talks about SS.

Remy
01-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for posting, Debbie!

What is Stevie saying about the garbage can and the audience? I cant really make it out...

deribish
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
yeah... that last party of the Sandy Stewart clip with Stevie... That's Stevie talking about Cyndi Lauper -- NOT sandy Stewart. Cyndi had orange hair, her parents in her videos, and on tour came out on stage floating in a garbage can.

It was nice to see the Saddest Victory video again. i remember catching it on MTV back then... but only now do i realize how little stage presence Sandy had. A really pretty lady with a great voice and good songs... but she seemed so green and unsure of herself in the interview and video.

BG99
02-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm new here, first post:

Does anyone have the track listing(with times) for
the Blue Yonder 12-inch of 'House Of Love'??

I see it on EBay occasionally with no details listed,
but would only be interested if it had one or more
non-LP tracks(or alternate versions) not on either
BY 45.

Are any of the SS 45's single edits or just album
versions??

Thanks,
Bill

EveryHour
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
(Sorry if someone mentioned this already, but I'm sick and don't have the patience to wade through this whole thread right now.)

I'm almost positive it's her, based on the Purple Songs website photos. The bright red lipstick is just throwing me off a little:

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Here-Stay-Bill-Charlap/dp/B000AV2G7O/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235427389&sr=8-6

Can ya'll believe the number of 'views' this thread has had?!

Sanne2
02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
(Sorry if someone mentioned this already, but I'm sick and don't have the patience to wade through this whole thread right now.)

I'm almost positive it's her, based on the Purple Songs website photos. The bright red lipstick is just throwing me off a little:

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Here-Stay-Bill-Charlap/dp/B000AV2G7O/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235427389&sr=8-6

Can ya'll believe the number of 'views' this thread has had?!

I think that's a different Sandy Stewart.

A quick Google search gave me these recent pics of "Stevie's" Sandy:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/Sanne2/l_a59b8e0d5615003c75e0f3e70645a5b1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/Sanne2/cphoto6lrg.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/Sanne2/cphoto4lrg.jpg

EveryHour
02-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah. These new pics sway me more away from thinking it's her. The lady on the CD doesn't have her "style" at all. But I wasn't sure if she was trying to have a more "jazzy" look for the album. They have similar features, though; the flat-ish face and wide-set eyes.

trackaghost
02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah. These new pics sway me more away from thinking it's her. The lady on the CD doesn't have her "style" at all. But I wasn't sure if she was trying to have a more "jazzy" look for the album. They have similar features, though; the flat-ish face and wide-set eyes.

The link you posted was to a album by an easy listening/cabaret artist called Sandy Stewart. She was popular in the early 60s when she was regularly on TV. That album is a collaboration with her son, Bill Charlap, who is a respected jazz pianist. She's much older than Stevie's Sandy Stewart.

Fannymac
02-24-2009, 03:40 PM
That's definitely not Sandy in the top photo, but it could be her (25 years later!) in the bottom two!

jrpjr
02-24-2009, 07:39 PM
They r all her. she sings w/The Mark Beets Band, aband out of texas. google or YouTube "Mark Beets." that is DEFINATELY her. aged or what?? remember, wild heart, catdancers was 25 yrs ago!! she's got to be at least 50 yrs. old by now..that's being generous

BG99
02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
The link you posted was to a album by an easy listening/cabaret artist called Sandy Stewart. She was popular in the early 60s when she was regularly on TV. That album is a collaboration with her son, Bill Charlap, who is a respected jazz pianist. She's much older than Stevie's Sandy Stewart.

Yes, I found the 2 'Sandy Stewarts' as well.

Obviously the pic with Charlap isn't the one we're discussing.

Plus, neither one in the first pic at the very top of Page 8 looks
like 'our' SS, at least not to me.

Bill

Fannymac
02-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Yes, I found the 2 'Sandy Stewarts' as well.

Obviously the pic with Charlap isn't the one we're discussing.

Plus, neither one in the first pic at the very top of Page 8 looks
like 'our' SS, at least not to me.

Bill

Actually, I didn't think anyone in the first shot was Sandy, but if you take the glasses off the gal on the left, well, I think it IS her!!

BG99
02-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Fannymac:

Now that you mention it, that could be right!!

I hadn't thought of that either.

Bill

The Catdancer
02-28-2009, 10:43 AM
They r all her. she sings w/The Mark Beets Band, aband out of texas. google or YouTube "Mark Beets." that is DEFINATELY her. aged or what?? remember, wild heart, catdancers was 25 yrs ago!! she's got to be at least 50 yrs. old by now..that's being generous

She became 51 on January 13.

Sanne2
02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
She became 51 on January 13.

I never realised she was that much younger as Stevie.

The Catdancer
02-28-2009, 05:35 PM
I never realised she was that much younger as Stevie.

Yup, she was pretty naieve when she met Stevie.

BG99
02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Seriously, I thought she was only a year younger than Kip Winger (who was
born in 1961).

Haven't been able to verify (our) SS' age with any 'celebrity databases.'

Bill

The Catdancer
02-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Seriously, I thought she was only a year younger than Kip Winger (who was
born in 1961).

Haven't been able to verify (our) SS' age with any 'celebrity databases.'

Bill

That's because she's not a celeb in the true sense of the word. She was born on January 13 1958 in San Francisco.

belladonnadream
09-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the answer! I'd always wondered about that. I still think it's a shame that Sandy didn't have a bigger career-loved her voice and I loved that album.
She's a great writer though and I think that's what her gift to the world has become..more than a performer. Thanks so much Catdancer for that great interview with Sandy and Stevie and the video as well. What a treat...I loved the whole Sandy Stewart time frame in the early 80's ..her music helped romanticize Wild Heart and put a softer edge to the sound of Bella Donna. I will never forget that era..I never realized she was only 25 when Wild Heart came out! Wow! Her voice in interviews sounds so much older!

David
09-12-2009, 10:46 AM
What a treat...I loved the whole Sandy Stewart time frame in the early 80's ..her music helped romanticize Wild Heart and put a softer edge to the sound of Bella Donna. She had something to do with Bella Donna? I didn't know that.

I like what Sandy contributed to The Wild Heart, especially her synthesizer parts. I know Chris Connelly didn't like it, but Sandy's synth part on If Anyone Falls, along with the guy playing bass, give that song a propulsive energy, like the machine in Contact gathering energy with each revolution. It's a cool part that Stevie herself would never have been able to create on her own.

Never cared at all for her singing voice, however.

Travisevian
04-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Get My Way is probably my favorite song of hers. I also really like In the Rain.

In The Rain is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Imagine if Stevie had recorded that for Tango In The Night! Sandy is a really good singer-songwriter and Unconditional Love and Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind are some of my favourite songs. I wonder if there are any demos of those songs from her.