User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Songbird album first listen

The CD has not arrived yet but Amazon will let you stream it for free. You guys are in for a BIG surprise. Usually remixes are faintly noticed and there are a few things turned up or down. OMG these songs are completely different. Friend starts out like the ending of the song with the da da da's. The Challenge has this heavy guitar riff through the entire song. I suppose this is Clapton. The original song has his picking away and its the melody. I love a heavy guitar riff but this is so shocking its going take some getting used too. It over powers the song.
But give me time, I have not gotten through all the songs yet. I am excited because I was not expecting such radically different versions of these songs.
Personally I prefer the music beginning to Friend compared to vocals right away. Its just so radically different that its going to take a few listens to really soak it all it. All the percussion parts of Ask Anybody are turned way up. Northern Star is odd because like Songbird it almost sounds like the music is interfering with the vocals and timing of the vocals. All You Gotta Do is so bluesy and has this incredible organ in it. Very classic Christine. Easy Come Easy Go is a great and fresh remix with the guitars turned way up. Love it. I just want more and think of the possibilities of some of her better known songs remixed like this. I have always said Love Will Show Us How always needed a remix to jazz it up.
The new heavy metal version of The Challenge is freaking awesome

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-24-2022 at 06:43 AM..
Old 06-24-2022, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After one listen I agree with you Macfanforlife the remixes are very different and sound amazing. I noticed the back up vocals are much more prominent which I like a lot. The only song that’s not the case is The Challenge which I found odd because Lindsey’s vocals added much to the end of the song. I do like this edger version much better. All the songs hang together very well. I think the only thing missing is Got a Hold On Me. It belongs on this collection and could have used this refresh.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:45 AM

I'm really enjoying this! Ask Anybody with some nice atmosphere and a few punches in the transitions. Lovely!
Old 06-24-2022, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This sounds spectacular on my old cruddy tower computer speakers. I can only imagine what the CD will sound like on my Bose system
Old 06-24-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This sounds spectacular on my old cruddy tower computer speakers. I can only imagine what the CD will sound like on my Bose system
I have two Echo Studios left right channel. I hear things on the regular mixes that I've never heard. Can't wait to get home.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unlike most of the tunes on In the Meantime, All You Gotta Do has layers and layers of keyboards up from and center, including Christine’s trademark Hammond (or a synth equivalent). Stylistically, the song is a rootsy throwback to early 70s rock like The Band.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Unlike most of the tunes on In the Meantime, All You Gotta Do has layers and layers of keyboards up from and center, including Christine’s trademark Hammond (or a synth equivalent). Stylistically, the song is a rootsy throwback to early 70s rock like The Band.
Almost thought of "I'd Rather Go Blind"!
I was hoping you'd hear all this today.
All you gotta do is be around.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
All You Gotta Do has layers and layers of keyboards up from and center, including Christine’s trademark Hammond (or a synth equivalent)
Rhino Records has provided a complimentary link to this song and one more from this new collection, on youtube today.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am still fascinated with the guitar riff on The Challenge. It takes the song to another level. I suppose it has always been there but turned way down. The remix artist was probably like OMG, this HAS to be heard.
One of the common complaints of her 1984 album was the lack of musical power. The songs were not wimpy but with the big artists like Clapton, Buckingham, Winwood, and Fleetwood they expected a bigger musical punch.
This is exactly what the album needed. Now I am a greedy pig and want to hear the entire 1984 album remixed
Old 06-24-2022, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

This is exactly what the album needed. Now I am a greedy pig and want to hear the entire 1984 album remixed
Heck yes but I don’t think it will happen.☹️
Old 06-24-2022, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

All You Gotta Do is gorgeous! While George Hawkins' voice is likeable enough, I would've (of course) preferred Christine to sing the whole thing through, because I think this is one of her finest vocals. It reminds me of some of her earliest work with FM, such as "Show Me a Smile."
Old 06-24-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post
All You Gotta Do is gorgeous! While George Hawkins' voice is likeable enough, I would've (of course) preferred Christine to sing the whole thing through, because I think this is one of her finest vocals. It reminds me of some of her earliest work with FM, such as "Show Me a Smile."
My thoughts exactly! She really sings the shi** out of this! It's gorgeous!
Old 06-24-2022, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Almost thought of "I'd Rather Go Blind"!
I was hoping you'd hear all this today.
All you gotta do is be around.
You knew I would! And there’s enough there for me to buy the disc, too—even with EASY COME EASY GO on it…
Old 06-24-2022, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I received my CD just now. What a way to start the weekend. Ok here is something that makes these songs sound so different. Additional musicians played on the remix. A guy named Ethan Johns and Guy Fletcher play percussion and guitar on the remixes.
I assume Ethan is related to Glyn Johns? Glyn did a great job and its funny this is the guy that Stevie hates But he is known to be one of the best in the biz.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-24-2022 at 04:09 PM..
Old 06-24-2022, 04:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I assume Ethan is related to Glyn Johns? Glyn did a great job and its funny this is the guy that Stevie hates But he is known to be one of the best in the biz.
Yes, I believe Ethan Johns is his son. Also almost positive he's the one that wrote Inspiration and God's Garden, those two songs Stevie catapulted off of Street Angel

Love this album so far. Standouts have to be The Challenge, Ask Anybody, and Easy Come, Easy Go. They've all been so, I don't know, beefed up? They sound a little less adult contemporary now and it's great (and i couldn't have cared LESS about ECEG before this). I do miss the booming drums on Ask Anybody but the additions on the remix more than make up for it imo.

I like the remix of Friend but agree that I like the instrumental-only opening of the original version better. Maybe I'll feel different with time.

Agreed that the only ones that don't sit right are Northern Star and Songbird. The arrangements are kind of busy and don't mesh with the vocals. I don't hate either one but they won't be replacing the originals for me.

Now The Challenge? The remix has just booted the original off my playlist

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)