User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
What music? Is there any (wanted) no released material? More than the included in the 5784 deluxe and expanded editions Mick released?
Well technically we probably have heard them already with our digital remasters. I have the list somewhere that I don't feel like looking for but one of the songs is Forest of the Black Roses.I can tell you that.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Well technically we probably have heard them already with our digital remasters. I have the list somewhere that I don't feel like looking for but one of the songs is Forest of the Black Roses.I can tell you that.
And Birds of Rhiannon.

Isn't Sisters of the Moon from that bunch too?

I believe she's said there are several that got picked up as FM songs. Not sure what the others are. Or if she used any for solo albums.

Someone in the chiffdom must know.

Wonder what happened to the idea of making it a ballet..... I think it should be a stage play or something live. Not sure I can see a musical movie...? Unless she's been inspired by stuff like GoT.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Isn't Sisters of the Moon from that bunch too?
It's possible. Mick mentioned in his first book she wrote that song in the mid 70s, but no mention about a recording from those days.

She also felt a lot better after "Over My Head" jammed into the American Top Ten in November 1975. Stevie's harmonies were a crucial element in that record's sound, so the airplay and good sales gradually invalidated banal jibes in the press. In fact, like many artists, she was able to turn her blues into something creative and beautiful. I have a strong image of her during that first tour, sitting backstage and writing the Iyrics to "Sisters of the Moon" in her notebook, working into her art some of the torn and frayed feelings from those earliest days on the road.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A lot of people think that Mistaken Love is from that cycle.

In addition to Forest of the Black Roses, there’s one called The Maker of Birds (copyrighted with that title in 1978). Some people think Blue Water, Stay Away, Kind of Woman, and Sorcerer were originally part of that cycle. And is Sisters of the Moon really a Rhiannon song? Why, just because it’s dark and mystical? So is Planets of the Universe.

I’ve heard people say that even Angel was originally part of the song cycle, but I never bought it—the only connection to Rhiannon is a tenuous one: in a 1979 radio interview with Jim Ladd, Stevie says that one of the lines refers tangentially to the story (“so I close my eyes softly till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometime”).

Stevie said in 1989 that she had 11 Rhiannon songs fully recorded. Problem is that she has never really explained what makes or doesn’t make a Rhiannon song: the theme? the date of writing? the original intent to use as part of a movie project? A lot of these songs have not much in common thematically or even musically. I guess you could argue that something like Kind of Woman, which is pretty oblique in its images and general in its recollection of unrequited love, could apply as much to Rhiannon as to Lindsey–Stevie. But Stevie hasn’t ever given us a clear idea of what it means to be a Rhiannon song.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-27-2020, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

In addition to Forest of the Black Roses, there’s one called The Maker of Birds (copyrighted with that title in 1978). Some people think Blue Water, Stay Away, Kind of Woman, and Sorcerer were originally part of that cycle. And is Sisters of the Moon really a Rhiannon song? Why, just because it’s dark and mystical? So is Planets of the Universe.

I’ve heard people say that even Angel was originally part of the song cycle, but I never bought it—the only connection to Rhiannon is a tenuous one: in a 1979 radio interview with Jim Ladd, Stevie says that one of the lines refers tangentially to the story (“so I close my eyes softly till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometime”).

Stevie said in 1989 that she had 11 Rhiannon songs fully recorded. Problem is that she has never really explained what makes or doesn’t make a Rhiannon song: the theme? the date of writing? the original intent to use as part of a movie project? A lot of these songs have not much in common thematically or even musically. I guess you could argue that something like Kind of Woman, which is pretty oblique in its images and general in its recollection of unrequited love, could apply as much to Rhiannon as to Lindsey–Stevie. But Stevie hasn’t ever given us a clear idea of what it means to be a Rhiannon song.
in one of the Bella Donna interviews Viv posted links to Stevie talks in detail about Kind of Woman being specifically about Lindsey and about him going off on tour (presumably the everly brothers tour) and her fearing he would meet someone on the road and have a fling and what that would mean for them etc. I hadn't heard that specific clip before. 'you have another waiting at home' is her. etc.

But I agree, it hasn't been clear in anything she's said what counts as a Rhiannon song. But given that the ones we know for sure are specifically talk about either Rhiannon herself or contain concrete descriptions of things in the Mabinogion (she takes the description of the three birds in Birds of Rhiannon almost verbatim out of the book) or plot elements ('kill the dark lord of death' etc) it's hard to fit some of her other songs into that. Could there be some great demos still unheard from the 70s?? Now THAT would be exciting.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The idea of a film is nuts, she has no training or skills to make one and hiring directors and so on is too expensive. She needs to just collect all the Rhiannon songs and make a concept album. Call up Dave Stewart and get cracking. Add lush photos and some of her paintings, rambling lyrics and "poetry", a fancy package.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
The idea of a film is nuts, she has no training or skills to make one and hiring directors and so on is too expensive. She needs to just collect all the Rhiannon songs and make a concept album. Call up Dave Stewart and get cracking. Add lush photos and some of her paintings, rambling lyrics and "poetry", a fancy package.
hmm...I dunno. her voice these days just wouldn't do those songs the same justice as the demos. she couldn't hit some of those high notes and her voice is way too raggedy now versus how smooth and clear it was then.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the film, is there any chance that they could get Amy Schumer?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-23-2020, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For the film, is there any chance that they could get Amy Schumer?
I was hoping for Rupaul.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just saw a post from Stevie on Facebook. She says being stuck inside during this virus scare is sparking her creativity and besides working on drawing and painting,
she is writing a bunch of new poems and songs. Not holding my breath, but it would be nice if something eventually saw the light of day.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Blue Water is a Goldfish and Ladybug song