Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
selling that awful wine?
What wine are you talking about? Since this thread is about Mick, I suppose you bought a Cabernet or Merlot from "his" Monterey County Private cellar.

Well the 2011 Cabernet was great, a 4.4 over 5*. Of course I guess his only merit on producing that wine was putting his name. And of course I chose the one that doesn't include his face in the label.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Scum?

At worst, he’s a money whore and bad entrepreneur, but scum seems like a stretch.

I seem to remember Bob Welch saying that Mick was the only member of the band (SYW lineup) who was willing to play a benefit show for Wendy. He also had choice words for Stevie and Lindsey.

Anyway, if the choice was between replacing Lindsey or disbanding...I mean, if they didn’t disband over Peter Green, they certainly weren’t over Lindsey Buckingham.
I'm just glad that we have an in house authority on all such issues.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, we knew what we were dealing with when they initially tried to keep him off the Sirius channel.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, we knew what we were dealing with when they initially tried to keep him off the Sirius channel.
It was so obvious, it was embarrassing.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
What happened?
Old 02-23-2020, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
What happened?
None of Lindsey’s segments aired the first week.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-23-2020, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always take things I see on Facebook with a pound of salt, but this caught my eye:

Quote:
I was supposed to talk to Peter Green on the phone but before it happened my friend who was organising it Fleetwood Mac secretary Judy Wong sadly died. Mick gave her a great funeral at Hollywood forever, I will always miss you, the Unique Judy Wong.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would never wish anyone to die penniless. As much as Mick's revisionist leanings annoy me, I don't think he's an outright scumbag. Sure--he's a coward, a side-changer, an opportunist...Let's call him Italy in both world wars. But he's this way out of his own personal necessity: he needs a band and relies on front persons to keep the flame of Fleetwood Mac burning.

He was wrong to allow Lindsey to be fired. But I'm not surprised he (or anyone else among the remaining Rumours lineup) decided to go for the easy big money of a boring "replacement" tour. They're all capitalists trying to convince us that cheap corrugated board countertops are as good as marble.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I would never wish anyone to die penniless. As much as Mick's revisionist leanings annoy me, I don't think he's an outright scumbag. Sure--he's a coward, a side-changer, an opportunist...Let's call him Italy in both world wars. But he's this way out of his own personal necessity: he needs a band and relies on front persons to keep the flame of Fleetwood Mac burning.

He was wrong to allow Lindsey to be fired. But I'm not surprised he (or anyone else among the remaining Rumours lineup) decided to go for the easy big money of a boring "replacement" tour. They're all capitalists trying to convince us that cheap corrugated board countertops are as good as marble.
That's exactly right. If you want to blame someone, go to the source. The reason he's out of Fleetwood Mac is because of Sleezy Nicks. This is not in dispute. I can't fault someone for not wanting to make a sizable living and live the way they are used to.

Sleezy Nicks should have been blocked or talked out of it. I smirk when I see her picture! I cringe when I hear her voice.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Okay I don't really hope that Mick dies in penury . It is just that his constant hare brained money making schemes followed by bankruptcy after bankruptcy does get annoying and then add to this his collusion with Stevie to kick the architect of their sound out of the band forever is just bleech. There is only one person that I can think of offhand that I would like to see that happen to and he is of a considerably more orange hue.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Okay I don't really hope that Mick dies in penury . It is just that his constant hare brained money making schemes followed by bankruptcy after bankruptcy does get annoying and then add to this his collusion with Stevie to kick the architect of their sound out of the band forever is just bleech. There is only one person that I can think of offhand that I would like to see that happen to and he is of a considerably more orange hue.
I get it.

FM ceases to exist for me without LB. I mean, a miracle might happen where Fleetwood and the McVies come out with a blues album. That'd be a blast. But, ugh, nothing from FM is coming out without Stevie and she's gotten her way on this one. So, goodbye Fleetwood Mac.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That's exactly right. If you want to blame someone, go to the source. The reason he's out of Fleetwood Mac is because of Sleezy Nicks. This is not in dispute. I can't fault someone for not wanting to make a sizable living and live the way they are used to.

Sleezy Nicks should have been blocked or talked out of it. I smirk when I see her picture! I cringe when I hear her voice.
I’m still not convinced it’s that cut and dry.

I can easily see Lindsey (rightfully) copping an attitude that he couldn’t use the Fleetwood Mac name for LBCM. Then he made those ill-advised comments about the Classic shows. The chemistry between him and Stevie wasn’t there during those shows from what I’ve observed. Per his own comments, he asked for a delay and the negotiations became tense. I can’t imagine he was ever on board with exploring the pre-1975 material, which was obviously important to Mick at that point. Something minor and ridiculous like mocking Stevie during her speech became the last straw for Stevie, but he’d burned enough bridges within the machine (ie Mick and Azoff) that there wasn’t anybody left to smooth things over, except Christine, but she’s a company gal (LBCM liner notes) and it was out of her control by that point.

It sucks, but he proved to be easily replaced for the purposes of having a massively successful tour. Maybe keeping his head down, minding his P’s & Q’s, and playing along would have behooved him the second Tom Petty’s guitarist and Stevie’s good friend became available and Mick was going to New Zealand to record with another art rocker. P

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-24-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I’m still not convinced it’s that cut and dry.

I can easily see Lindsey (rightfully) copping an attitude that he couldn’t use the Fleetwood Mac name for LBCM. Then he made those ill-advised comments about the Classic shows. The chemistry between him and Stevie wasn’t there during those shows from what I’ve observed. Per his own comments, he asked for a delay and the negotiations became tense. I can’t imagine he was ever on board with exploring the pre-1975 material, which was obviously important to Mick at that point. Something minor and ridiculous like mocking Stevie during her speech became the last straw for Stevie, but he’d burned enough bridges within the machine (ie Mick and Azoff) that there wasn’t anybody left to smooth things over, except Christine, but she’s a company gal (LBCM liner notes) and it was out of her control by that point.

It sucks, but he proved to be easily replaced for the purposes of having a massively successful tour. Maybe keeping his head down, minding his P’s & Q’s, and playing along would have behooved him the second Tom Petty’s guitarist and Stevie’s good friend became available and Mick was going to New Zealand to record with another art rocker. P
I don't buy any of that except the burning bridges happened over time. These two have hated each other for a very long time. Those bridges have been on fire for years.

Exploring pre material?? Maybe your speculation was correct and LB didn't want it and they figured out he was right and dropped all the good tunes they started off with. Mind you, I loved pre-1975. So, I'm with whomever wanted to do it. (Sans Sleezy ruining Black Magic Women.)

But, the reason Lindsey was ousted was because Sleezy went to mgmt. I've heard that from enough sources to believe otherwise.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-24-2020 at 07:51 PM..
Old 02-24-2020, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It’s hard to read this comment as anything but deliberately provocative. Mind his P’s and Q’s? As far as the 2000s go, Lindsey was clearly more central to the band and its mission than Stevie. He was the one instigating new work — and meeting a brick wall. He was available when Stevie stepped away for IN YOUR DREAMS and then for her lackluster collection of previously-unused demos. He was their musical and creative driving force—but not their cash draw. Stevie knew and used her power to leverage him out of the band. It’s pretty darn obvious to even the casual observer. And while casual listeners and observers might have been willing to fork over $ to see the imposters‘ jamboree, any of the genuine fans know the difference between what they were and what they’ve become.

And arguments about how the band has always morphed and always taken on change as its primary identity aren’t viable in 2020. They might have been in 1987–and even then they would have had to have found more creative replacements...
Old 02-24-2020, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It’s hard to read this comment as anything but deliberately provocative. Mind his P’s and Q’s? .
right? why exactly would he need to do something like that? just give up and brown-nose for a few dollars more when you are 68 years old, wealthy, creative and full of energy?

if those are your options, carrying your head up high (especially when you can afford it without hurting your family!) vs alternative is definitely the preferred option for any human with self worth.

yeah yeah, we know that there are others in that band (or contracted by it) who chose the alternative, whether they had to or not. and apparently Mike Campbell is now crying that his little theater tour as a completely unknown is not providing him big jets and expensive hotels he likes.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"