User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
In this age of streaming, they could even have put out a single song now and again rather than a full album or even an EP. But then I guess that would have led to in-fighting over whose song got released when.
The old goat would have a cow if it wasn't hers.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
The old goat would have a cow if it wasn't hers.
She did, that’s exactly why they released an EP instead of just 2 songs for streaming as LB originally proposed - as a calling card for the full album coming next ( which ended up morphing into BuckVie once Chris joined, instead).

Stevie didn’t want to work on the album, the other 3 started and then gave her what they had to pick 2 songs to release for streaming before their 2013 tour. She picked Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy. They added her vocals to those but then she decided there can’t be only LB songs coming out so she pulled her ancient demo and insisted on EP instead.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
But if you wanted real....Mirage is really the last Mac album that included the Rumours 5 working together on real songs. .
I'll buy that. Tango was mostly Lindsey and his tricks.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I'll buy that. Tango was mostly Lindsey and his tricks.
Tango was BuckVie 0.1.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2019, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Tango was BuckVie 0.1.
I'll buy that.
Interesting that Christine was the only one that LOVED making Tango. John had trouble getting his groove to play. Stevie was in rehab or never there or showing up drunk. Lindsey was pissed at Mick buying drugs in his driveway and trying to just get the process over with. Christine says she loved this experience making Tango with Lindsey. So you are correct, it sort of was BuckVie, the early years.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
It's sad that the four song EP is almost certainly the last Fleetwood Mac studio material with Lindsey and quite likely the last new material from the band period. For me, Lindsey's contributions on the EP are better than his Say You Will material. Sad Angel is an all-time great Fleetwood Mac song and one of my favorite songs ever.

I'm also a huge fan of Miss Fantasy although I can see why it might not fit everyone's taste. I also love It Takes Time. It's unlike anything Lindsey has ever done in or out of Fleetwood Mac. Without You is straight garbage and it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's a Stevie song. The song is so lifeless and dull and uninspiring. Lindsey deserves some blame for not getting more out of it but at the same time Stevie has a history with songs like this. Without You is right there with Second Time. They're two of the dirt worst songs in the history of Fleetwood Mac.
Without You is by Danny Kirwan?
No, I'm being smart.
Love Without You, love The Second Time.
Love All Over Again. (Christine song, current tour closer song.)
Old 05-25-2019, 11:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I'll buy that.
Interesting that Christine was the only one that LOVED making Tango. John had trouble getting his groove to play. Stevie was in rehab or never there or showing up drunk. Lindsey was pissed at Mick buying drugs in his driveway and trying to just get the process over with. Christine says she loved this experience making Tango with Lindsey. So you are correct, it sort of was BuckVie, the early years.
Doesn't hurt that the songs she wrote for that record were all monsters, (Mystified aside, perhaps, although if anyone wants to argue that point, be my guest).

Tango as BuckVie 1.0 is an interesting notion. And given all of that parallels/similarities, that might be the way people should look at it in the history books. All the same people, essentially, just a different name on the cover.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
Doesn't hurt that the songs she wrote for that record were all monsters, (Mystified aside, perhaps, although if anyone wants to argue that point, be my guest).

Tango as BuckVie 1.0 is an interesting notion. And given all of that parallels/similarities, that might be the way people should look at it in the history books. All the same people, essentially, just a different name on the cover.
I believe Mystified was originally a Lindsey song that he "handed over" to Christine because her vocals fit better, no? I remember him doing a solo demo of it.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I believe Mystified was originally a Lindsey song that he "handed over" to Christine because her vocals fit better, no? I remember him doing a solo demo of it.
I didn't know that, Matt, but that kind of makes sense and seems believable. Mystified is built on what they call a pentatonic (five-tone) scale. It's a musical scale that's redolent of Oriental music. Lindsey went through a pentatonic phase around this time: Make Me a Mask, the guitar opening of Surrender the Rain, and so on. There's lots of little pentatonic filigree all over Tango, including Mystified's essential figure, the big guitar+synth riff that opens Little Lies, bits of the Tango title song on the chorus, and You and I Part I. It's not that an entire song is pentatonic; it's more a case of patches of pentatonic harmony here and there (some of it very noticeable in terms of the song's character). Claude Debussy incorporated pentatonic harmony and figures in his music, in a very famous case of world influence in Western music. One of his Book 1 piano preludes, The Girl with the Flaxen Hair, would fit perfectly on Tango or Out of the Cradle with some lyrics added to it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I didn't know that, Matt, but that kind of makes sense and seems believable. Mystified is built on what they call a pentatonic (five-tone) scale. It's a musical scale that's redolent of Oriental music. Lindsey went through a pentatonic phase around this time: Make Me a Mask, the guitar opening of Surrender the Rain, and so on. There's lots of little pentatonic filigree all over Tango, including Mystified's essential figure, the big guitar+synth riff that opens Little Lies, bits of the Tango title song on the chorus, and You and I Part I. It's not that an entire song is pentatonic; it's more a case of patches of pentatonic harmony here and there (some of it very noticeable in terms of the song's character). Claude Debussy incorporated pentatonic harmony and figures in his music, in a very famous case of world influence in Western music. One of his Book 1 piano preludes, The Girl with the Flaxen Hair, would fit perfectly on Tango or Out of the Cradle with some lyrics added to it.
great post -- thank you!