Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Who's Using Your Heart Tonight" ??
That song title reminds me of Kirk Van Houten's "Can I Borrow a Feeling."
Old 11-05-2018, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Imagine a band ballsy enough to ditch most of the Rumours songs from subsequent sets in favor of the new. Sounds great to me as audience.
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers actually did this in 1995. Ditched all but a handful of their early hits in favor of almost all post-1988 material.

Neil Young is another one. At most shows, he doesn't play "Heart Of Gold" "Old Man" or "Southern Man." Same with Bob Dylan, who usually doesn't play "Like A Rolling Stone" or "Mr. Tambourine Man."
Old 11-05-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I wasn't too young in '87 to remember, and the band is doing exactly the same thing. Steve is playing contrarian devil's advocate once again. I don't know why he does that, but it generally results in a very knowledgeable guy distending and distorting data into all manner of unreasonable and daffy conclusions.

That didn't happen to Billy or Rick, either. Steve is full of it. On the 1987 and 1990 tours, Billy was Billy and Rick was Rick. Nobody "played" Lindsey. Unfortunately for the band's music, nobody played the idiosyncratic (and syncretistic) studio visionary experimenting with instrumentation and vocals and concocting elaborate arrangements (the Brian Wilsonish musical equivalent of "personal filmmaking") to "shake people's preconceptions about pop." This idea of dressing people up is really beneath Steve's intelligence.

Of course. We all know it; we all see it. Even the people arguing otherwise (including the band themselves) know it in their hearts. Every configuration of the band since 1987 has been profoundly unwilling or unable to even partially shake off the Rumours band and its effect on the culture. Adding a pre-Rumours song here or a Split Enz song there (or a Delaney and Bonnie song or a Dylan song or a Sons of the Pioneers song) doesn't change that fact. It's just swapping out some seasoning in the same basic dish.

Precisely. None of that material has been reimagined as anything other than a faithful duplication of the old albums. Even the general progression of the traditional set is kept (The Chain and Dreams early on, acoustic songs halfway through, and Go Your Own Way and Don't Stop as closers).

If the band wants the big money, it needs to do this. I would never blame the band for doing this, but I certainly won't pretend that something else is happening musically.
Someone else noticed!! lol
Old 11-05-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
And those personas are being subsumed beneath the Rumours juggernaut. Even the Rumours band was a prisoner of the Rumours juggernaut forever after. What do you think the Classic East West promoters and agents wanted for the customers in July 2017 — a Kiln House experience?
I love you so hard!!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 11-05-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Old 11-05-2018, 02:58 PM

Although, I'd pay a lot of money to see The Kiln House Experience w/ Christine on electric piano.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If they really want to go down the road of this whole "It's not a Rumours rehash thing" then give us a setlist like this;

Chain
Little Lies
Dreams
I Got You
Say You Love Me
Black Magic Woman
As Long As You Follow
Sentimental Lady
Rhiannon
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Storms
Oh Well
Hypnotized
I Loved Another Woman
Don't Dream It's Over
Landslide
Isn't It Midnight
Rattlesnake Shake
You Make Loving Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way
Free Fallin'
Don't Stop
All Over Again

A twenty something set with only 10-ish casual respected songs and THEN I'd believe they wanted to do something different. Until then, even with new members, it's just a cash grab money tour. I will give them a little kudos for pulling out some surprises but c'mon, go big or go home. This was your chance to really think outside the box, reinvent the wheel, ect.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
If they really want to go down the road of this whole "It's not a Rumours rehash thing" then give us a setlist like this;

Chain
Little Lies
Dreams
I Got You
Say You Love Me
Black Magic Woman
As Long As You Follow
Sentimental Lady
Rhiannon
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Storms
Oh Well
Hypnotized
I Loved Another Woman
Don't Dream It's Over
Landslide
Isn't It Midnight
Rattlesnake Shake
You Make Loving Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way
Free Fallin'
Don't Stop
All Over Again
I’d replace I Loved Another Woman with Man Of The World. ILAW is too similar to Black Magic Woman, plus I doubt Neil wants to sing blues songs.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’d replace I Loved Another Woman with Man Of The World. ILAW is too similar to Black Magic Woman, plus I doubt Neil wants to sing blues songs.
I'd take either of them or both of them. Neil has a Kirwanish style in his vocals. Friday night, I was listening to Something Inside Me (?) off English Rose, and had no trouble pretending Neil was singing that. (I also had no trouble pretending that Mike Campbell, Christine, Mick, and John giving it all the fire it would need to keep the audience from taking a beer break.)

No offense to Elmore James and his idolators, but Fleetwood Mac was really blessed to have Green and Kirwan, two blues singers who as stylists stood as the equals of anyone else.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
A twenty something set with only 10-ish casual respected songs and THEN I'd believe they wanted to do something different. Until then, even with new members, it's just a cash grab money tour. I will give them a little kudos for pulling out some surprises but c'mon, go big or go home. This was your chance to really think outside the box, reinvent the wheel, ect.
In all fairness, every tour is a cash grab, don't you think? Having said that, I LOVED your dream set list, LOVED IT!

I wish they would do a smaller venue tour and do the type of songs you mentioned, plus songs like Storms and Over and Over, songs that don't seem to translate well in arenas. I remember Lindsey or Stevie once saying in an interview (actually, it could have been Mick, now that I think about it) after Christine had left that FM wanted to do a smaller venue tour, and perform several Buckingham Nicks songs. I really wish that could have happened
Old 11-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
In all fairness, every tour is a cash grab, don't you think? Having said that, I LOVED your dream set list, LOVED IT!

I wish they would do a smaller venue tour and do the type of songs you mentioned, plus songs like Storms and Over and Over, songs that don't seem to translate well in arenas. I remember Lindsey or Stevie once saying in an interview (actually, it could have been Mick, now that I think about it) after Christine had left that FM wanted to do a smaller venue tour, and perform several Buckingham Nicks songs. I really wish that could have happened
Indeed. I would love that, just anything new and fresh. I groan whenever I hear more than Go Your Own Way. That, realistically, is the only Buckingham song that needs to be played and there is a whole batch of stuff they arent even touching. Hell, pull out a Vito or Burnette tune. That would really throw the audience for a loop.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This side of the board has the most bitter bunch of bickering men I've ever seen on a forum.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
This side of the board has the most bitter bunch of bickering men I've ever seen on a forum.
I hear that there's a $tevie fan board around here somewhere. Giddyup!
Old 11-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
It's the Donald Trump/Fleetwood Mac fan green room. That said, please remember to vote today!
Old 11-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Stevie’s hair/clothes/overall look in the 80’s was epic.