Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 AM

Default Dunedin

Nicks and Hynde wow Dunedin

They may frown on dancing at Melbourne’s Rod Laver Arena, but the crowd at tonight’s Stevie Nicks Dunedin concert had no such worries.
Melbourne woman Jo-Anne George hit the headlines this week when she said she was evicted from Nicks’ Melbourne show because she wouldn’t stop dancing.

She would have enjoyed the Forsyth Barr Stadium show a lot more, as the Fleetwood Mac songstress had the crowd up on their feet right from the first note.

An early highlight was a duet with Chrissie Hynde – lead singer of support band The Pretenders – on Stop Draggin My Heart Around, a song Nicks originally performed with the late Tom Petty.

With a mix of Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks solo hits to come, the fans were settling in for a big night.

This was a Dunedin show, but it was tough work to find a local among the early arrivals.

The front rows of tonight’s concert filled up within minutes of the gates opening at the Forsyth Barr Stadium venue – and everyone spoken to by the Otago Daily Times had come down from Christchurch for the show.

"The roads were really busy coming down," Christchurch fans Nigel and Dierdre Bratten said.

The Brattens are dedicated Stevie Nicks fans: Mr Bratten was wearing his Fleetwood Mac t-shirt from the band’s previous Dunedin visit, and the couple had also seen Nicks in New Plymouth – and had seen Chrissie Hynde on her last New Zealand tour to boot.

"Absolutely we wanted to see her again, she’s brilliant," Mr Bratten said.

Fellow Christchurch devotees Liz Nichol and Steve Grant – the first fans seated in the front row - were savouring their view of proceedings.

"We were watching a documentary about her on television and I saw to Steve `can we go see Stevie Nicks?’ and he said yes," Ms Nichol said.

"I got on the i-pad and there were only 34 tickets left: there were some left in the front, I said `let’s try and get those", and we did."

Nichol – a former singer in a country rock band – said she loved Stevie Nicks’ music and the couple had always bought her CDs. They were now all set for as close a view as a fan could possibly get of their idol.

Two of the younger fans at the front were Christchurch’s Andrew Te Groen and Brienna Henderson – who weren’t missing tonight’s show having grown up with Nicks’ music.

"I’m a really big fan of both Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks," said Te Groen.

"I sort of sneaked out from work and made sure we got good seats."

Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders took no prisoners in their opening set, firing out hard rocking tunes like Alone and Gotta Wait as an opening salvo, before playing fan favourites like Don’t Get Me Wrong and Brass In Pocket.

Hynde told the crowd she said had spent a couple days in Dunedin and loved the town. Highlights had included seeing Cirkopolis and First Church.

"It really is just like the north of Scotland, if they had daylight up there."

By Mike Houlahan

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/n...de-wow-dunedin

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 11-24-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 09:54 AM

Rock goddesses - From The News Desk

OPINION: Singers are forever frozen in the time you started idolising them.

I was struck by that at the Stevie Nicks and Chrissie Hynde concert in Dunedin on Friday night, the last of their tour.

Nicks' ruched velvet Gypsy chick is still there.

And Hynde is still rocking hipster jeans like the rock goddess she is.

But they've aged – of course they have. So has their Leather and Lace-wearing fan base.

I was gutted Nicks didn't do the Don Henley duet (unless I went into a psychedelic trance and somehow missed it).

In their 60s they may be – Nicks is 69 and Hynde 66 - but they are timeless.

It must be heartbreaking – Tom Petty is an example – seeing people of your age and ilk die off.

Nicks and Hynde doing the famous duet Stop Draggin' My Heart Around with Waddy Wachtel lending some mean vocals, was a highlight.

Nicks got some flak re how some of her songs came about.

But I actually enjoyed her stories. It was nice to have a wee sit down after moshing in the pit – if you can call grooving on the sedate Forsyth Barr turf that.

Mary-Jo Tohill

https://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-ti...-the-news-desk
Old 12-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

Has anyone found Moonlight video or audio from Dunedin? I would like to watch or hear it. Thank u!!