The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 PM
MakerofBirds's Avatar
MakerofBirds MakerofBirds is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bright World
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I think it is pathetic to try to read something into this that isnt there. If they were that much at each others throats, I dont think that we would be hearing about a tour in 2018 at all. I, for one, hope it doesnt even happen. I do not think that Lindsey has the vocal chops anymore to tour. I would prefer to have Stevie solo anyway.
I agree. Also, I think it's sad that people can't handle what was clearly said as a joke. I'm sure it's nothing that Lindsey hasn't heard already. We see MINUTES of their lives and it's ridiculous to dissect every little word they say about each other and think we have any clue about their relationship.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,854
Default

how long was Stevie a waitress??

She didn't last very long as a "cleaning lady" nor did she do a very good job (unless you ask her). She also worked as a dental assistant and had to quit after like 3 days because she couldn't take the strain of leaning over. (her words).

So I think she should be very careful about the term "useless".

In the Sound City documentary she reads a letter she wrote to her family during the making of the Buckingham Nicks record. In it she says she's "getting tired of being in the studio making music 12 hours a day". Really? You're making your first album, your dream, and you're tired of it?

Remember this is the girl who said joining FM was "like joining the Army" and you have to be "on time, as on time as you can be" and "there's no calling in sick". I was always somewhat sympathetic about all that because it's hard when you get no downtime to chill out. But as I got older and wiser I realized, there was clearly plenty of time to par-tay, she made sure of that. Some of the Mac performances reflect it.

Now, over time she does seem to have embraced the work ethic and became a workhorse. To the point that it now seems like she's so built her life around work that she can't give it up.

But back in the day, I'd say "useless" was a word that cut both ways. Listen to her demo of Rhiannon (which I love) and then listen to the version that went out into the world.......and think about "useless"......

She breaks my heart. She really truly does.
__________________

Last edited by bombaysaffires : 08-16-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-16-2017, 12:47 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,576
Default

^^^^ Yes, this!! I didn't know about the letter. But, she is the one that needs people to form her raw material. People are working on her stuff while she sleeps all day.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-16-2017, 12:50 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakerofBirds View Post
I agree. Also, I think it's sad that people can't handle what was clearly said as a joke. I'm sure it's nothing that Lindsey hasn't heard already. We see MINUTES of their lives and it's ridiculous to dissect every little word they say about each other and think we have any clue about their relationship.
Very valid point. If you're talking about personal relationship especially. But they use the press to air their frustrations with each other professionally and always have. So while I agree we definitely don't get to see the TOTALITY of their working relationship, we do get glimpses of it. And when you have seen enough glimpses over 40 years and there's a real consistency to those comments, you can, I think, draw at least a few valid conclusions from them.


In a recent print interview (maybe it was the transcript from this interview without editing? can't recall) she said "I work with Lindsey when I have to." And other than that they don't see each other, because he's got his family commitments and she doesn't.

Interesting choice of words. "when I have to". Not, "I see Lindsey when we work together in FM but otherwise we don't see each other socially coz he has kids blah blah blah"

Not "we see each other when FM gets together"

Rather, "I work with him when I have to". As in, when I have to go out on the mega cash-grab tours. (Does this mean she doesn't want to do them but feels she owes it to other band members like Mick and John??) I mean, if she doesn't enjoy them, why do them????

Does she do them because she likes being one of the only 70-ish female rockers still out there drawing big crowds? Does she do them because she likes being part of a band that still can compete with other mega bands still touring?

We assume she doesn't like recording with him, so she's stopped doing it. He's clearly, by comments from almost everyone in the band, become the director of their live shows, the musical director, etc etc.... so it sounds like he has as much control over live shows as he does in the studio, so how is it ok to tour with him but not record?

It all seems too contradictory, unless you go back to the ego thing. If the tours are mega successful, she'll put up with him. If the albums were still selling mega numbers and they were having hit singles, my bet is she'd be right there recording as well.
__________________

Last edited by bombaysaffires : 08-16-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:24 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakerofBirds View Post
I agree. Also, I think it's sad that people can't handle what was clearly said as a joke. I'm sure it's nothing that Lindsey hasn't heard already. We see MINUTES of their lives and it's ridiculous to dissect every little word they say about each other and think we have any clue about their relationship.
How do you all know it was a joke?

I will try to remember all these "jokes" comments the next time Lindsey open his mouth to say something about Stevie... because I never read any "it was just a joke!" comment. Not here, not on Twitter, not on Facebook. We'll see.
__________________
"This has been the best tour I've been on. Ever, ever, ever..." - Stevie Nicks. 24 Karat Gold Tour, Long Island, NY -April 6, 2017.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:26 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
how long was Stevie a waitress??

She didn't last very long as a "cleaning lady" nor did she do a very good job (unless you ask her). She also worked as a dental assistant and had to quit after like 3 days because she couldn't take the strain of leaning over. (her words).

So I think she should be very careful about the term "useless".

In the Sound City documentary she reads a letter she wrote to her family during the making of the Buckingham Nicks record. In it she says she's "getting tired of being in the studio making music 12 hours a day". Really? You're making your first album, your dream, and you're tired of it?

Remember this is the girl who said joining FM was "like joining the Army" and you have to be "on time, as on time as you can be" and "there's no calling in sick". I was always somewhat sympathetic about all that because it's hard when you get no downtime to chill out. But as I got older and wiser I realized, there was clearly plenty of time to par-tay, she made sure of that. Some of the Mac performances reflect it.

Now, over time she does seem to have embraced the work ethic and became a workhorse. To the point that it now seems like she's so built her life around work that she can't give it up.

But back in the day, I'd say "useless" was a word that cut both ways. Listen to her demo of Rhiannon (which I love) and then listen to the version that went out into the world.......and think about "useless"......

She breaks my heart. She really truly does.
I bet you all I have she doesn't even know how to scrub a toilet.
__________________
"This has been the best tour I've been on. Ever, ever, ever..." - Stevie Nicks. 24 Karat Gold Tour, Long Island, NY -April 6, 2017.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:31 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I think it is pathetic to try to read something into this that isnt there. If they were that much at each others throats, I dont think that we would be hearing about a tour in 2018 at all. I, for one, hope it doesnt even happen. I do not think that Lindsey has the vocal chops anymore to tour. I would prefer to have Stevie solo anyway.
I found Stevie's pathetic fans here and on Twitter and Facebook every single day, bitching about how bad, bad Lindsey ruined poor Stevie's life.

I also hope they drop the 2018 FM tour idea. I prefer an Europeran leg of the BM tour. But I don't think it'll happen. Stevie needs the money. That's why she's willing to put up with Lindsey's bad behavior. What a trouper!
__________________
"This has been the best tour I've been on. Ever, ever, ever..." - Stevie Nicks. 24 Karat Gold Tour, Long Island, NY -April 6, 2017.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:14 PM
JohnL JohnL is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I found Stevie's pathetic fans here and on Twitter and Facebook every single day, bitching about how bad, bad Lindsey ruined poor Stevie's life.

I also hope they drop the 2018 FM tour idea. I prefer an Europeran leg of the BM tour. But I don't think it'll happen. Stevie needs the money. That's why she's willing to put up with Lindsey's bad behavior. What a trouper!
Well us pathetic Stevie fans dont appreciate that comment honey. I dont post on Twitter and very little on Facebook but thanks for the derogatory comment.
__________________
Love is a word and some entertain it...if you find it...you have won the game baby
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM
JohnL JohnL is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I bet you all I have she doesn't even know how to scrub a toilet.
Like any of those people scrub their own damn toilets.
__________________
Love is a word and some entertain it...if you find it...you have won the game baby
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:36 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 9,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Well us pathetic Stevie fans dont appreciate that comment honey. I dont post on Twitter and very little on Facebook but thanks for the derogatory comment.
She's not your honey.
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Right. I knew exactly what she was referencing. You have to read between the lines. Calling him Mr. Useless under the guise of referencing his inability to contribute to their ability to eat and pay the rent nearly 45 years ago is just another way for her to take a jab at him.

Agree about the bitterness - it is pretty sad.
And his music gigs did earn them money. He was out working when she was in Aspen writing Landslide, mad because she had been left behind.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:42 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,636
Default

"I will always be that gypsy"

Stellar August 13, 2017 Sunday, StellarVIC Edition


Byline: TIFFANY BAKKER



Between Fleetwood Mac and her solo career, Stevie Nicks is one of the bestselling artists of all time. And in the lead-up to a new Australian tour - and her 70th birthday - she is showing no signs of slowing down Every night before she goes onstage, Stevie Nicks has a longstanding ritual. "I make my little mix tapes, and I play them and I twirl around and dance my way through three hours of make-up and getting ready," the rock legend tells Stellar, adding that her current playlist features Harry Styles, Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez.

"I like to keep up with what's current and, honestly, if I wasn't touring I would still be listening to music and dancing around my house." When Stellar speaks to the Fleetwood Mac icon it's close to midnight, but Nicks - a lifelong insomniac - is right in the middle of her day.

"It's the best part and most zen part of my whole day," Nicks says, adding that she stays up "writing in my journal - poetry, songs, movie ideas, anything".

"It's peaceful because everybody is asleep except you. It's when I feel the most creative and also my most calm." At 69 (she'll turn 70 next May), Nicks's frantic itinerary is enough to make any average person want to lie down.

In the three weeks before meeting with Stellar, she's pinballed between a solo gig in France, a massive Hyde Park show in London with her old musician mate Tom Petty, a Los Angeles stadium concert with Fleetwood Mac, a 70th birthday show in Texas for another good friend (and former flame), Don Henley of the Eagles, and now she's in New York where she'll play another stadium gig with Fleetwood Mac.

"Sometimes I would like a serious vacation, you know, like two months in Hawaii with my dog, because at times you feel like you hit a wall," she admits.

"But there is always going to be that knock on the door and I'm always going to be called back to one of the two big things in my life, which is basically either Fleetwood Mac or my solo career." But even after her phenomenal success (between them both she's sold some 140 million records, making her one of the bestselling artists of all time), Nicks still has a compulsion to work as hard as ever. She's also been open in the past about choosing her art over getting married and having a family.

"I have a love of music that goes far beyond what I do onstage," she says. Like the title of one of her most famous songs, 'Gypsy', Nicks got a taste of the nomadic life early on when her father would move the family around with his work, and decades later the lifestyle still suits her.

"I could roll with that. I was able to go into new schools and make new friends. My brother, on the other hand, didn't cope with it so well," she recalls.

"So the thing is, am I still that gypsy? Well, I was always that gypsy." In recent years, her life has been split between her solo tours and Fleetwood Mac's massive touring commitments. But returning to Fleetwood Mac, one of music's most dysfunctional families, comes with its own issues.

"Compromise with Fleetwood Mac has always been an ongoing challenge because we seldom agree on anything," Nicks confirms.

"Everybody has a big, huge opinion and you make your choice - is it worth fighting about? Is it worth throwing the next two days of rehearsals away because everybody is pissed off? Or is it worth fighting for something you believe in? It's like being a politician in a lot of ways; you have to choose your battles, and sometimes you have to let things go even when you don't want to." These days, the singer says her relationships with her famous band mates Christine McVie ("Chris and I have been the best of girlfriends since the day I joined Fleetwood Mac"), John McVie ("I adore him") and Mick Fleetwood ("I'm godmother to his daughters") will go beyond whenever it is that Fleetwood Mac ends.

But her friendship with former love and musical collaborator Lindsey Buckingham remains tricky. The pair met while they were both at high school in California and formed musical duo Buckingham Nicks in 1972, before joining Fleetwood Mac three years later. Their combustible relationship, particularly leading up to the legendary 1977 album Rumours, spurned hits such as 'Go Your Own Way', 'Dreams' and 'Landslide'.

"Lindsey and I never see each other. He has a family - a wife and children - and I do not have a husband or children. I mean, it's just a different world," she says.

"The thing is, I work with Lindsey when we have to work together, but his whole deal is very different than mine. He has to leave at 7pm at night to get home and have dinner with his children, and then he has to get up early with them.

"Like, are you kidding? I don't even get up until 3pm and he wants me at rehearsal at 2pm? No, our lives are so diametrically opposed. So that's kind of where our relationship is." Recently, Nicks has been enjoying touring with Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders, and will bring the tour to Australian shores in November.

The two icons, surprisingly, had never even met before making the decision to tour together.

"The first time I met Chrissie, I was playing a show at this big arena, and my hair was in rollers and I was wearing these big black glasses, being driven around on a golf cart. And she saw me and started laughing, and I said, 'I know, I look ridiculous - I am ridiculous,' and she said, 'No, you look like Elizabeth Taylor. I'm touring with Elizabeth Taylor.'" And Nicks, who has been a frequent visitor to Australia, can't wait to return. "I always have a really good time [in Australia] because it's a very special place and I have really great friends there, and it's very different from the United States," she says.

"It's a friendlier place and it reminds me of how the US used to be. And with everything that's going on in the political landscape right now, it'll be nice to go to Australia and get out of here for a while." She has also been enjoying the tour because it's given her the luxury of performing some rare solo songs and some newer material she's either never or rarely performed.

"I've had to wait until I'm in my sixties to play some of these songs," she says with a laugh.

"And I'm so pleased because it's that that makes me want to continue to tour. If I have to go out there and do the same songs every single time I go on the road, it gets boring and it's not very creative after a while." One hit she does perform is the 1986 classic 'Stand Back', which originally featured her friend Prince on keyboards.

"Prince spent a lot of time worrying about me," she remembers. "Our friendship was kind of odd; we didn't see each other that often, but when we did we really were musically very tight. But he was always worried about my drug habits; he always thought I was going to have an accidental drug overdose and die." When Nicks was struggling with addiction, she recalls Prince coming to visit her with little care packages.

She's previously said that she spent "millions" on cocaine in the '70s and '80s and also had an eight-year addiction to prescription drug Klonopin, until eventually getting clean in 1994.

"There would be cough medicine for my throat, but he would only let me have a spoonful. I'd be like, 'Chill out, my friend, I can have another one,' and he'd say, 'I did not come here to start new drug habits for you.'" Sixteen months later, and Nicks is still grieving over Prince's death. "The fact that my friend, who was so anti-drugs, is not here is so disturbing to me. I miss him." When it comes to herself, Nicks is not one for reflection and finds the idea of being referred to as an icon almost absurd. "It's really nice to know and people tell me that, and I feel a great amount of pride, but at the same time that person - basically the person I am onstage except in much better clothes and much better hair and with heels on - is really the same person I am sitting here right now," she says.

"I'm pretty much the same person that I've always been. I'm nice part of the time and irritated part of the time; that's really who I am, and I've never changed since I joined Fleetwood Mac." When Nicks surveys the music industry landscape today, she reckons it's become difficult for emerging artists.

"You have one big song and you better follow it up, because they will just find somebody who is younger and cuter than you are." "It's a battle," she continues. "And I don't know what I would do if I was 21 and in their position. The only thing you can say is that Lindsey and I really believed that we were very good and that we were really, really special.

We just believed in ourselves and we believed that what we had to offer the world was really spectacular. It sounds conceited but it wasn't. We just weren't going to give up." She also has concerns with the lack of control musicians today have over their own work.

"I love a lot of current music, but a lot of these artists are being told what to do by producers and the record companies. You know, their songs are all starting to sound very much the same to me, and that bothers me because I think, 'I really like that song, but the production sounds just like the production on the song before it and that's kind of a turn-off.'" She remains optimistic, though.

"I love Harry Styles; he's so cute and charming and I think he can do anything he sets his mind to. And there's a Fleetwood Mac and a Led Zeppelin out there somewhere.

Whether or not they'll ever be able to rise to the top is the question, because the industry slaps them down, but my advice would be to any musician is just don't give up. Believe in yourself." With that, she gets set to go back to her evening, but sleep is still a while off.

"I have this thing, like between 3am and 5am, when it starts to get light and it's really beautiful, and I just sit there and I drink tea and I read Vogue and I just look out and think, 'Why would I want to be asleep right now? Why would I want to miss out on all of this beauty?'"Stevie Nicks's 24 Karat Gold Tour with special guests The Pretenders comes to Australia in November. Tickets go on sale August 18; livenation.com.au.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:46 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
except that's not true, according to other people who were there. it's just Stevie's convenient story.

and he has always been classy about it and let her get away with telling that story, as he does.

her story was he worked as a telemarketer one day and got immediately fired. their friends' stories talk about him making money for them by painting houses for people. and of course as a session musician. something she couldn't do since she had no such skills.
Yes, in that one Warren Zevon book they said that when Lindsey got the offer from Mick Fleetwood he was making $400 a week playing on tour and the guy didn't know why Lindsey would consider joining the Mac because his tour haul seemed like so much money to them, back then.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 PM
JohnL JohnL is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
She's not your honey.
No she's not. Thanks for pointing that out. And I am also not pathetic...but I guess that escaped you somehow.
__________________
Love is a word and some entertain it...if you find it...you have won the game baby
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Well us pathetic Stevie fans dont appreciate that comment honey. I dont post on Twitter and very little on Facebook but thanks for the derogatory comment.
Did I say I was talking about you, honey? Sorry, can I call you honey?
__________________
"This has been the best tour I've been on. Ever, ever, ever..." - Stevie Nicks. 24 Karat Gold Tour, Long Island, NY -April 6, 2017.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac-Stevie Nicks Owned & Stage Worn Velvet Robe COA & Provenance
$2997.34
Fleetwood Mac-Stevie Nicks Owned & Stage Worn Velvet Robe COA & Provenance   pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee
$799.99
Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee)
$499.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee) pictureSIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood Fleetwood Mac- Record Album Signed by all 5 Band Members
$399.99
Fleetwood Mac- Record Album Signed by all 5 Band Members picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved