The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Netter75's Avatar
Netter75 Netter75 is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 72
Default Best and Worst Set of Songs From Each Vocalist?

Pretty simple, just pick two albums that show the best of and the worst set of songs from each vocalist. Here are my picks:

Stevie:
Best: Tusk. There is no competition, even with a strong showing from Rumours and Say You Will. She is vocally perfect on five songs that deserve to be featured on every Greatest Hits album IMO. The range of moods and emotions so effectively conveyed in each song makes them fascinating to listen to for me.
Worst: Behind the Mask. I Know her Tango songs get a lot of flak but good god... at least you can see some effort. Phoned-in vocals abound on BTM. Affairs of the Heart and The Second Time are atrocious while Freedom and Love is Dangerous are bland as bread to me.

Christine
Best: Tango. This was difficult because Christine is the most consistent band member her song stand out on most albums (especially Mystery to Me, Rumours, and Time) Tango has to win though because the triple hit of Everywhere, Little Lies, and Isn't It Midnight is almost overwhelming; capturing her versatility in three perfect songs. They would feature in every playlist I would give to someone in order to get them into McVie. Mystified is a little trite but her vocal is good on it.
Worst: Mirage.`Christine is rarely "the weak one" as far as her contributions, so I'm going with the set of songs I care about the least. As much as I adore Love in Store, it's really just for the three-way harmonies and is otherwise not a very memorable track. I can't say I'm too crazy about the others. While Buckingham McVie are performing a good rendition of Hold Me right now, I've never been too keen on the studio version and the her other two songs don't grab me at all.

Lindsey:
Best: White Album. It came close between this and Rumours but I find myself listening to his White Album songs more often. I'm abnormal in that I love Lindsey's more conventional vocals pre-Tusk and they're on full display here. Crystal is my favorite slow song of his, I'm So Afraid is his signature epic, while Monday Morning and Blue Letter are super fun to jam out to (not sure why they're played live so rarely these days), as is World Turning.
Worst: Say You Will. I don't have much to say about this one, I just could never get into most of his songs outside of Bleed to Love Her and maybe Miranda. They're not unlistenable, but leave me cold.

So what are y'all's picks for Stevie/Chris/Lindsey's best and worst sets of songs?
__________________
"I am just one small part of forever" -Think About It (The song that got me into Stevie Nicks)

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 07-07-2017, 12:41 AM
Wdm6789 Wdm6789 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
Pretty simple, just pick two albums that show the best of and the worst set of songs from each vocalist. Here are my picks:

Stevie:
Best: Tusk. There is no competition, even with a strong showing from Rumours and Say You Will. She is vocally perfect on five songs that deserve to be featured on every Greatest Hits album IMO. The range of moods and emotions so effectively conveyed in each song makes them fascinating to listen to for me.
Worst: Behind the Mask. I Know her Tango songs get a lot of flak but good god... at least you can see some effort. Phoned-in vocals abound on BTM. Affairs of the Heart and The Second Time are atrocious while Freedom and Love is Dangerous are bland as bread to me.

Christine
Best: Tango. This was difficult because Christine is the most consistent band member her song stand out on most albums (especially Mystery to Me, Rumours, and Time) Tango has to win though because the triple hit of Everywhere, Little Lies, and Isn't It Midnight is almost overwhelming; capturing her versatility in three perfect songs. They would feature in every playlist I would give to someone in order to get them into McVie. Mystified is a little trite but her vocal is good on it.
Worst: Mirage.`Christine is rarely "the weak one" as far as her contributions, so I'm going with the set of songs I care about the least. As much as I adore Love in Store, it's really just for the three-way harmonies and is otherwise not a very memorable track. I can't say I'm too crazy about the others. While Buckingham McVie are performing a good rendition of Hold Me right now, I've never been too keen on the studio version and the her other two songs don't grab me at all.

Lindsey:
Best: White Album. It came close between this and Rumours but I find myself listening to his White Album songs more often. I'm abnormal in that I love Lindsey's more conventional vocals pre-Tusk and they're on full display here. Crystal is my favorite slow song of his, I'm So Afraid is his signature epic, while Monday Morning and Blue Letter are super fun to jam out to (not sure why they're played live so rarely these days), as is World Turning.
Worst: Say You Will. I don't have much to say about this one, I just could never get into most of his songs outside of Bleed to Love Her and maybe Miranda. They're not unlistenable, but leave me cold.

So what are y'all's picks for Stevie/Chris/Lindsey's best and worst sets of songs?

Hold Me and Only Over You are two of Christine's best songs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2017, 05:16 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 1,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Hold Me and Only Over You are two of Christine's best songs.
I could not agree more!
Only over you is a dreamy lullaby. My initial reaction was not great I think because of how the vocals start out right away. But boy was my initial reaction wrong. Its one of the best songs on Mirage and definitely one of Christine's best. Its written from the heart. Lindsey plays a mean guitar and I love the hypnotic rhythm towards the end. It also has probably the best overdubs of any Mac song. The Mac overdubbed like crazy on Mirage but it really works on this song. One word: Beautiful I love the Christine love songs where she sings of being torn between love and a man a bit out of control and definitely has flaws. But she is in love and cant help it. This song and Ask Anybody are clearly about Dennis Wilson.

As for this thread...this is really impossible. I think Christine always brings her A game for any album. Even for Time she brought amazing songs. Stevie can write amazing songs and I think Tango was her weakest Mac album. But IMHO it followed her weakest solo album as well. Lindsey is consistent but I would say Mirage was his weakest album with songs although Eyes of the World is pretty good.
__________________

Still I believe.....LOVE will show us how

Last edited by Macfan4life : 07-07-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2017, 06:20 AM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 838
Default

Netter75, I agree with every one of your picks, right down to your comment about Love in Store, with the exception of Stevie's vocals on Behind the Mask. I think Stevie was totally inspired by newbie members Rick and Billy, and her vocals on Love is Dangerous reflect that. There is such a confidence to that performance, and also on Freedom, but that just shows how we all hear different things.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2017, 11:29 AM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,660
Default

I'll play.

Christine:
Best: WHITE ALBUM and RUMOURS. She was flawless on these records. Everything works. Everything. Including (and especially) "Sugar Daddy" and "Oh Daddy"--two very different daddies for your consumerist pleasure. I listen to "Say You Love Me" more than any Mac song except for "The Chain." But "Honey Hi" and "Love in Store" are micro-masterpieces that I adore as well.
Worst:BEHIND THE MASK. I blame the production. However, "Save Me" is damn good, even with the dated synth flourish in the vamp.

Stevie:
Best:TUSK. She does everything right here. "Angel" kicks butt. And her long, lush folk-inspired reveries ("Storms, "Sara," and "Beautiful Child") are the perfect foil for LB's frenetic, jumpy punk explosions.
Worst:TANGO. Without question a low point. Although her songs on BTM could have been better with more imaginative, less generic production, she sounds really committed there, as if she recaptured what she'd lost.

Lindsey
Best:TUSK. There are no other songs like the title track in all of rock. And "Not That Funny," "The Ledge," "That's Alright for Me," and "Save Me a Place" are remarkable for being new and derivative at the same time. You've heard these song structures before but never in THIS way. SAY YOU WILL comes a close second, but, of course, "Go Your Own Way" rules.
Worst:TANGO. All style, little substance. "Caroline" and the title track are impressive but leave me kind of empty, as if there is no emotional core in either of them. "Big Love" is intriguing, but I prefer his acoustic version over the original. "Family Man" has great flamenco guitar, but little else of genuine substance.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2017, 02:49 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 9,065
Default

interesting topic. i think i'll approach it a bit differently than others and generalize a bit beyond just specific albums:

Lindsey

his strongest set of songs, both musically and lyrically, i feel is the GOS/SYW period - which was really the mid to late 90s. i guess that coincides with the period in his life when he finally cleaned up and got re-rooted. songs he wrote for the originally GOS that ended up scattered on SYW, UTS and GOS were incredibly strong set of songs (and what makes SYW such a great album, beyond poppiness and adult comtemporariness of your mainstream Rumours-era FM. i feel Lindsey's 2nd best periods are Seeds (2010-2011) and Tusk periods. beyond those 2, he had individual or 2-songs flashes (like SHN and GYOW pair) but not the whole sets like during GOS, SWS and Tusk.

his weakest song set - a lot of Mirage and Tango. lazy lyrics, music drawing from periods that i don't care about.


Christine

strongest - Rumours and Tango, but as others have said, Christine is very consistent and dependable in her craft, so it's hard to really tell. she is definitely McCartney of FM. amazing hooks and pop craft, and some really interesting bluesy songs. she never let down to this day.

weakest - this is so hard for Christine, much easier for the other 2. maybe White album? i LOVE Say You Love Me, but don't really care for her other songs there much. and, while some of her lyrics are extremely beautiful or interesting, a lot of them are very bland and in your face.


Stevie

strongest - end of her BN era through maybe 1976 or so. most of her strongest songs were written then, including Landslide, Rhiannon, etc. - before she joined FM. even her most recent albums heavily draw from the songs written in this period. she was incredibly prolific then, writing some very interesting stuff, and i don't know whether it was drugs, rnr lifestyle, becoming a star or what that messed with her inspiration, but other than flashes of a song here and there, she never ever was able to even nearly reach this period again. she became molded into a highly successful commercial artist, selling her witchy fairy rock queen persona to go with her commercial pop songs, but it seems that early 20s inspiration never struck again.

weakest - i guess Tango because at the time she was not even trying to pull out and rework some of her old songs, but after Tusk it was really all downhill.
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2017, 03:06 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 537
Default

Stevie

Best: Tusk. As a whole collection, her Tusk songs are above and by far the most superior. Storms, Beautiful Child, Sara, Sisters etc. And the production on them fit to a T. But really I think most to all of the songs she wrote in the 70s are amazing. Few prolific writers like her have a catalogue as impressive as her 70s songs.
Worst: Probably Tango. The two songs she actually wrote are almost laughably bad, even if I still kinda like one of them.


Lindsey:
Best: Rumours and Tusk. His Rumours songs will literally never get old. They're perfect classics. And Tusk is one of his best achievements, like someone else said, there really is no other song like Tusk anywhere which is such a testament to his skill as an artist. And the other Tusk songs are also fantastic if you ask me, even the ones like Not That Funny and The Ledge which are a bigger challenge on the ears.
Worst: Mirage. I feel like this was his "blah" era. Eyes of the World was way better live, studio version pretty cheesy. Book of Love is kinda catchy but overall forgettable. Empire State is awful.


Christine:
Best: Everyrhing from White Album-Tango. Like everyone else said, she's the most consistent. I like most all of her songs from those albums and have a hard time picking what I think is best.
Worst: Idk hardly anything post-Tango interests me much.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2017, 05:18 PM
TimeCastASpell TimeCastASpell is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Stevie

Best: Tusk. As a whole collection, her Tusk songs are above and by far the most superior. Storms, Beautiful Child, Sara, Sisters etc. And the production on them fit to a T. But really I think most to all of the songs she wrote in the 70s are amazing. Few prolific writers like her have a catalogue as impressive as her 70s songs.
Worst: Probably Tango. The two songs she actually wrote are almost laughably bad...
I'm so with you on everything you said about Stevie and Tusk and the production as well. I think Sisters is absolute peak Stevie and the production and the way the band rocks out the end, I can never get enough. Storms has that incredible rawness a lot like Silver Springs that Stevie did so well in the 70s.

Not sure I agree with you on Tango but more in general I've never been a fan of all the synthesizer super 80s sound that album has going on. But I've always loved Seven Wonders. Not her most deep song by any means but it's a fun one to belt out in the car or while dancing around the house. But Welcome to the Room Sara is definitely super bland (she was so stuck on Sara, eh? Lol). Tango is probably my least fave with the Rumours line up in general though. Oh

I also feel like given the changes to Stevie's voice over the years, she's harder to judge because it feels like you can really split her into two periods of time and go from there. I still love Trouble in Shangri-La and really adore Twisted and most of her songs on SYW.

Christine

My all time favorite Christine is Brown Eyes which makes me want to say Tusk but I think I'm going to have to agree with White album and Rumours. Though I'm also a big fan of Temporary One and especially after last night's show (so I admit I have some bias at the moment) I honestly think her songs on Buckingham McVie may be my favorite of all. I just really love the way they sound and there's not a single song I dislike. I've always been kind of hit and miss with her. That poppy/ happy love song thing she does a lot of just isn't really my thing. (Which is funny because you'll notice I really tend to like her most upbeat/ uptempo songs best) That's just 100% personal preference for sure but I think she's sounding amazing these days and putting out some great work. Kind of of of the belief, in general, that all three of them may be at their peak right now and in the last 15/20 years. But I go back and forth. I have definite faves for everyone from all albums.

Lindsey
He's a hard one to peg because I think given his edginess and how much his production type stuff has changed over the years, I think a lot with him probably falls to personal preference. But I think I'm going to say Rumours because I especially love all his work on that album and something about the sound of his voice just really gets me. Love me some Tusk as well and certainly would be his most diverse work on a Mac album but it works for me and regularly wows me on recent listens. I didn't like Tusk at all as a kid because I didn't "get" Lindsey's stuff but that album is so special to me now and seems to be gaining so much appreciation in general these days.

His worst, in my opinion, as much as I DO love the title track, would have to be Tango. I think Family Man and Caroline are two of his worst. I just really don't like them and find the writing kind of meh "She's so crazy, she's so lazy..." Really??? Lol. I just can't stand those songs. Don't really like Big Love either (at least in part because as a child it felt mighty awkward when it got to the moany sexual sound part when I was playing the album in front of my parents! �� �� ) For me Tango was a very odd time for Lindsey. Editing to add- Mirage! Agree with what others have said about it being his blah period. Like he reined it in way too much after Tusk. Sometimes I forget Mirage even existed which tells you something.

Last edited by TimeCastASpell : 07-07-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2017, 05:54 PM
WatchChain WatchChain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 629
Default

Stevie:
Best: Tusk. Need I say more?
Worst: Behind The Mask--bland songs without much character. Yes, I know she phoned in her Tango tracks, but her soulless Behind The Mask work represents an all time low.

Christine
Best: Rumours
Worst: Time--however, most of her post-1987 material has been bland

Lindsey:
Best: Rumours
Worst: Say You Will
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2017, 06:23 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCastASpell View Post

I also feel like given the changes to Stevie's voice over the years, she's harder to judge because it feels like you can really split her into two periods of time and go from there.
THIS
Idk about what anyone else does, but for me I kind of have two 'Stevies' in my head. Pre-1985 and post-1985. For me it's not just her changing voice, I think her songwriting changed, the way her music sounded changed, her style changed, her whole image just changed somewhat.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-07-2017, 06:37 PM
CarnivalBegin CarnivalBegin is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Lindsey:
Best: Rumours
Worst: Say You Will
Wow... to pick Say You Will as Lindsey's worst batch of songs when he wrote some of the most interesting, extraordinary songs of his entire career on that album.

Come, Red Rover, Miranda, Say Goodbye, Peacekeeper... not to mention the previously released Bleed to Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away ... wow. Just wow. Some great songwriters have entire careers without hitting those kinds of peaks. I am... speechless.

Now ... his songs on Mirage and Tango are pretty hit and miss, no problem agreeing with that. Empire State and Family Man? No thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-07-2017, 06:45 PM
secondhandchain secondhandchain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalBegin View Post
Wow... to pick Say You Will as Lindsey's worst batch of songs when he wrote some of the most interesting, extraordinary songs of his entire career on that album.

Come, Red Rover, Miranda, Say Goodbye, Peacekeeper... not to mention the previously released Bleed to Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away ... wow. Just wow. Some great songwriters have entire careers without hitting those kinds of peaks. I am... speechless.

Now ... his songs on Mirage and Tango are pretty hit and miss, no problem agreeing with that. Empire State and Family Man? No thanks.
Peacekeeper????? I love LIndsey but when that came out I CRINGED at how close the melody is to Paul Simons Kodachrome. YIKES!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-07-2017, 09:16 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 9,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsey

his strongest set of songs, both musically and lyrically, i feel is the GOS/SYW period - which was really the mid to late 90s. i guess that coincides with the period in his life when he finally cleaned up and got re-rooted. songs he wrote for the originally GOS that ended up scattered on SYW, UTS and GOS were incredibly strong set of songs (and what makes SYW such a great album, beyond poppiness and adult comtemporariness of your mainstream Rumours-era FM. i feel Lindsey's 2nd best periods are Seeds (2010-2011) and Tusk periods. beyond those 2, he had individual or 2-songs flashes (like SHN and GYOW pair) but not the whole sets like during GOS, SWS and Tusk.

his weakest song set - a lot of Mirage and Tango. lazy lyrics, music drawing from periods that i don't care about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalBegin View Post
Wow... to pick Say You Will as Lindsey's worst batch of songs when he wrote some of the most interesting, extraordinary songs of his entire career on that album.

Come, Red Rover, Miranda, Say Goodbye, Peacekeeper... not to mention the previously released Bleed to Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away ... wow. Just wow. Some great songwriters have entire careers without hitting those kinds of peaks. I am... speechless.

Now ... his songs on Mirage and Tango are pretty hit and miss, no problem agreeing with that. Empire State and Family Man? No thanks.
ha look at this - for once we agree!

i am also thinking i definitely do not belong in FM fandom when i see opinions such as that LB's SYW songs are not strong. one may like them or not, they may not be to people's taste, but to not think they are incredibly strong batch of songs, lyrically and musically, is mind boggling to me.
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-08-2017, 08:55 PM
jcalzaretta jcalzaretta is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 425
Default

This is very difficult.

Stevie -

The best: So hard. I agree with someone above on the material from the 70s. Landslide, Rhiannon, Crystal, Silver Springs, Dreams, Gold Dust Woman, I Don't Wanna Know, Sara, Sisters of the Moon, Angel, Beautiful Child and Angel. Yikes. And that excludes the ones to not make the record like Planets of the Universe, Think About It, Secret Love and The Dealer. Seriously - this was a great few years for Stevie. If I have to pick, I choose Rumours taking into account Silver Springs. Can't argue with the White Album or Tusk though. These are all GREAT songs.

The worst: I would pick Tango in the Night. I don't dislike them. I actually love Seven Wonders and don't think that When I See You Again is as bad as others on this sight.

Christine

The best: Rumours. I love her songs other than Don't Stop. I know a lot will pick Tango but I don't love Everywhere. It's boring to me. Close second for me would be the White Album.

The worst: Behind the Mask

Lindsey

The best: Rumours. Easy. His songs are stellar. Each and everyone.

Worst: Hmmm. This is tough. Lots of stuff from Tusk I don't care for. I love Tusk, Walk a Thin Line and I Know I'm Not Wrong. But Ledge, Not That Funny are not my favorites.

As you can see, I am a huge fan of Rumours. I love this band. I just think Rumours start to finish was a perfect record.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 PM
GypsySorcerer's Avatar
GypsySorcerer GypsySorcerer is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: KY
Posts: 6,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

Lindsey

his strongest set of songs, both musically and lyrically, i feel is the GOS/SYW period - which was really the mid to late 90s. i guess that coincides with the period in his life when he finally cleaned up and got re-rooted. songs he wrote for the originally GOS that ended up scattered on SYW, UTS and GOS were incredibly strong set of songs (and what makes SYW such a great album, beyond poppiness and adult comtemporariness of your mainstream Rumours-era FM. i feel Lindsey's 2nd best periods are Seeds (2010-2011) and Tusk periods. beyond those 2, he had individual or 2-songs flashes (like SHN and GYOW pair) but not the whole sets like during GOS, SWS and Tusk.
Agreed. I think the original GOS would have been Lindsey's strongest collection of songs. Period. So I would say SYW, but Tusk is right up there, followed by Rumours. My least favorite periods would be white album and Mirage. In fact, I rarely listen to his white album songs at all, except for Crystal, which, of course, was written by Stevie.

Christine -- as everyone has mentioned, she's very consistent. There are only two songs she's ever written I truly dislike (One More Night and Only Over You). I'd probably rank Tango and Rumours first, and Mirage last, mostly because of the aforementioned Only Over You and Love in Store, which I could take or leave.

Stevie -- Tusk is her best, easily. However, she was really good until 1983. Worst: Tango/Behind the Mask. I haven't listened to When I See You Again, Welcome to the Room..Sara, or any of her BTM material in years.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved