The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10-12-2016, 12:29 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
see now - THIS is misogynistic. (unlike what Ancientqueen tried to sell earlier)

i know you are kidding, but statements like this are a part of this deeply seeded male insecurity.
I've thought about this all day...

So if I joked about Lindsey going on about "organic", and "cycles", WHAT does that make me?

~I think Lindsey's a narcissistic control freak.~ And always have. What label do I get for thinking THAT?

I think that a**hole would be the moniker that you could come up with(and maybe that's it), but I still find it odd that if you joke about a woman, you're a misogynist, but if you joke about a man, it's all fair game.
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-12-2016, 12:39 AM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think that a**hole would be the moniker that you could come up with(and maybe that's it), but I still find it odd that if you joke about a woman, you're a misogynist, but if you joke about a man, it's all fair game.
Well, I don't think it's joking about Stevie. I think it's the part where you said that's why she is still single, as if a woman's goal in life is not to be single and it's a failing of hers somehow that she doesn't have a man.

But just saying that she draws out the last word in all of her songs is certainly not misogynistic.

And Lindsey happens to be a man (well, I don't, in his younger days he was pretty feminine) but I don't think people say he made Stevie and Christine's songs better is because of his gender. Maybe it's because he was a talented producer.

He made some of John Stewart's songs better too.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-12-2016, 12:54 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, I don't think it's joking about Stevie. I think it's the part where you said that's why she is still single, as if a woman's goal in life is not to be single and it's a failing of hers somehow that she doesn't have a man.

But just saying that she draws out the last word in all of her songs is certainly not misogynistic.

And Lindsey happens to be a man (well, I don't, in his younger days he was pretty feminine) but I don't think people say he made Stevie and Christine's songs better is because of his gender. Maybe it's because he was a talented producer.

He made some of John Stewart's songs better too.

Michele
Rules I live by:

I never make fun of the one I love(when I found out that CM kept Bob Welch out of the RRHOF, it broke my fkn heart, and she was WRONG, but I never diss the Queen). And I do respect the hell out of Lindsey, even if he is a control freak. John is just John...he's always held the same position, with little attitude, a monster bass player, and I respect him for that...

The other two, well, I kind of find them to be cartoonish. Easy to mock, and often invite doing so. Stevie's repeating the last words in song, for many years, has irritated me like a grain of sand inside my shell, and it still hasn't turned into a pearl!

John Stewart's Gold is one of my top favorite "FM" songs ever!
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-12-2016, 02:14 AM
AncientQueen AncientQueen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i never got that message. yes for Stevie not being a musician, but NEVER about Christine. can you give some examples?

also i'm confused how does being annoyed about someone arranging other band members' songs lead to claiming his [highly kooky] songs do not have a hook.
Well, Mick told reporters that working with Christine on the arrangements of "Behind the Mask" made him realize that she "is more than just a pretty face". There is alot of such nonsense in older Mick interviews.

What part is confusing you? A song needs a good melody, a hook or meaningful lyrics to become memorable. Both Stevie and Christine have been reliable provider for that in their work with FM. Lindsey has again and again stated that his production "made" the songs, which is in itself a way to put down the talents of his co-workers in order to make his work inside the band more important.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-12-2016, 02:19 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Well, Mick told reporters that working with Christine on the arrangements of "Behind the Mask" made him realize that she "is more than just a pretty face". There is alot of such nonsense in older Mick interviews.

What part is confusing you? A song needs a good melody, a hook or meaningful lyrics to become memorable. Both Stevie and Christine have been reliable provider for that in their work with FM. Lindsey has again and again stated that his production "made" the songs, which is in itself a way to put down the talents of his co-workers in order to make his work inside the band more important.
I agree completely with what Mick said about Chris...

However, I DO think that Chris would also agree, at least to some extent, with Lindsey's statement(of course Stevie would never, even with a gun held to her head!). Chris has said that LB was the best guitarist that FM ever had. But I think she meant more than that...that she was speaking of everything that he brought to the table. That he did indeed, up their collective game.
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-12-2016, 08:08 AM
AncientQueen AncientQueen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 338
Default

Homer, really? It took Christine 22 years of writing one hit after the other, being the most reliable songwriter, a wonderful musician and the saving grace for the band AND making millions for Mick + helping him out of his financial troubles more than once until Mick realized that she is more than a pretty face and you agree with that statement at that time? Iwould think that he realized Chrisitne was a saving grace in his life some decades earlier and that he would give her the respect she deserves.

Last edited by AncientQueen : 10-12-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-12-2016, 10:18 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Homer, really? It took Christine 22 years of writing one hit after the other, being the most reliable songwriter, a wonderful musician and the saving grace for the band AND making millions for Mick + helping him out of his financial troubles more than once until Mick realized that she is more than a pretty face and you agree with that statement at that time? Iwould think that he realized Chrisitne was a saving grace in his life some decades earlier and that he would give her the respect she deserves.
I'm saying that Chris is on record, saying that LB is the best guitarist that FM ever had. And I don't think she meant that solely based on his guitar skills, but also his production/arranging skills.

And I would never slight Chris' contributions. She's always been my favorite!!!
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-12-2016, 10:38 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post

What part is confusing you? A song needs a good melody, a hook or meaningful lyrics to become memorable. Both Stevie and Christine have been reliable provider for that in their work with FM. Lindsey has again and again stated that his production "made" the songs, which is in itself a way to put down the talents of his co-workers in order to make his work inside the band more important.
I really think Stevie's Fleetwood Mac songs are the least 'hooky' of the three song writers. It's often Lindseys arrangements/production that give them the hook. The hook in Dreams for example is provided by the groove Lindsey gave it. Without that, it was a bit of a 'nothing' song really. Come to think of it, some of Stevie's solo songs are a bit more hooky than her FM songs.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-12-2016, 06:59 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,636
Default

Both Stevie and Christine have praised Lindsey's work on their songs. Some people think they give him too much credit, but they have both certainly given him credit in the past.

There was that one interview where Christine was with Lindsey and said something like, "dare I say it" with him sitting right next to her, but that no one else made her songs sound like he made them sound.

And then Stevie said he made her songs great and she didn't know how to thank him, give him 10% royalties or what. Of course, people think she was being overly generous. But they have both emphasized his input a lot in the past.

Stevie might not do the same today. She said that when he left the band she learned to do things without him and doesn't need him to make her songs magic anymore. In the last 20 years, she has commanded the studio more and has a different view than she had in those early years.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Fleetwood Jack Fleetwood Jack is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 89
Default

O.K., I know it's strange for the author of the thread to get off topic but...

Was Christine really the one who didn't want Bob Welch involved in the whole Hall Of Fame thing? Does anyone know why? I'm really curious now.

I'm just sort of shocked by that. I always assumed it was Mick or someone else.


O.K., you may go back to your daily lives now.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-12-2016, 07:00 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I really think Stevie's Fleetwood Mac songs are the least 'hooky' of the three song writers. It's often Lindseys arrangements/production that give them the hook. The hook in Dreams for example is provided by the groove Lindsey gave it. Without that, it was a bit of a 'nothing' song really. Come to think of it, some of Stevie's solo songs are a bit more hooky than her FM songs.
Yes, that is what Christine said about Dreams, that Lindsey put in the musical variation.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-12-2016, 07:31 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post
O.K., I know it's strange for the author of the thread to get off topic but...

Was Christine really the one who didn't want Bob Welch involved in the whole Hall Of Fame thing? Does anyone know why? I'm really curious now.

I'm just sort of shocked by that. I always assumed it was Mick or someone else.


O.K., you may go back to your daily lives now.
The story we got, as I remember it from Bob's wife(before she got banned from The Ledge[that's a whole other story, but she was VERY angry, and wouldn't play within the rules here, so she got banned]) :

Bob filed a lawsuit against FM for royalties that he hadn't been paid.

The R&R induction came along, and Christine was the one who basically said, "If Bob is allowed to be there, ~I~ won't be". And so Bob was excluded.

Which was CRIMINAL! Especially since my favorite member forced the exclusion.
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-12-2016, 07:32 PM
MikeInNV MikeInNV is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Rules I live by:

I never make fun of the one I love....I never diss the Queen.
Careful....you don't want to sound like a Chiffonhead.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-12-2016, 07:38 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,646
Default

Also, I have "copied and saved" much of the thread where Wendy discussed it(yes, I saved it all. It was VERY likely to be deleted, and that's what I do!).

If Michele says that I can post it, I will copy and paste it.
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Careful....you don't want to sound like a Chiffonhead.
She's a pretender to the throne. Speaking of thrones....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmsnfart.jpg (54.5 KB, 10 views)
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved