Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Live in 1967

After many years, some of John the Revelator's bootlegs of this band have been released officially. I am listening to them now and am so happy that this has reached official status. One can hear the bond forming among Messers Green McVie and Fleetwood. Thank you Tom Huissen and John Mayall for agreeing to do this.http://www.johnmayall.com

Last edited by doodyhead; 04-28-2015 at 08:25 AM..
Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default a review is out there already

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/live-in-...g-collette.php
Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up At Last....

Thank you Doodyhead. I didn't know that the tapes were officially released now. Great! I instantly ordered a copy.

I have heard bits from the tapes on John The Revelator homepage a few years ago, and found them brilliant. Have been frustrated because nothing seemed to happen for so long, though.

Fantastic!

Ms Moose
Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Junior Ledgie

I am wondering whether there will be a second album released - anyone know? Four Million Knobs is a coruscatingly brilliant track - better than the included San Ho Zay - IMHO. Also Tears In My eyes missing - also a standout track.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is a listing of the tracks released on “Live in ‘67” and the venues and dates for the recordings of those songs which Tom Hussein originally made available:

All Your Love (I Miss Loving) - The Manor House, London, England May 05, 1967

Brand New Start - Bromley Technical College, London England April 29, 1967 or The Manor House, London, England May 05, 1967

Double Trouble - The Marquee Club, London, England April 27, 1967– released 2006, Bromley Technical College, London England April 29, 1967 or The Manor House, London, England May 05, 1967

Streamline - The Marquee Club, London, England April 27, 1967

Have You Ever Loved a Woman - The Ram Jam Club, London, England February 01 or 03, 1967

Looking Back - Bromley Technical College, London, England April 29, 1967

So Many Roads - The Marquee Club, London, England April 27, 1967or The Manor House, London, England May 05, 1967

Hi Heel Sneakers - The Ram Jam Club, London England February 01 or 03, 1967 or Klook’s Kleek, London, England April 28, 1967

I Can’t Quit You Baby - Klook’s Kleek, London, England April 28, 1967

The Stumble - The Marquee Club, London, England April 27, 1967 – released 2006 or The Manor House, London, England May 05, 19

Someday After Awhile - Bromley Technical College, London, England April 29, 1967

San-Ho-Zay - The Ram Jam Club, London, England February 01 or 03, 1967 or The Manor House, London, England May 05, 1967

Stormy Monday - Klook’s Kleek, London, England April 28, 1967 or The Manor House, London, England May 05, 1967

It should be noted that the performances of ‘Double Trouble’ and ‘The Stumble’, recorded at the Marquee Club were both previously released on the “Essential John Mayall” box set (so I would guess that they did not reuse those – although it is possible that they did) and that the ‘Stormy Monday’ recorded at Klook’s Kleek featured a guest vocalist, whom even Tom Hussein has been unable to identify, so it is doubtful that would be the one released here.
So it would appear as if seven of the recordings may have come from the show at the Manor House.
It would also be interesting to know if either ‘Hi Heel Sneakers’ or San-Ho-Zay’ are actually from the show at the Ram Jam Club, (possible as that is where the only available recording of 'Have You Ever Loved A Woman' is from) as those would then feature Aynsley Dunbar behind the drums – all of the other recordings feature Mick Fleetwood.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Junior Ledgie

San-Ho-Zay appears to be from the Manor House tape - the Ram Jam tapes are also noticeably lower in quality. Peter's playing on Ram Jam is also not as brilliant as the other tapes possibly because it was a couple of months earlier - according to the dates I have - which means he went from ordinary to genius in about 2 months
Old 04-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Green’s playing not only evolved very quickly during his time with The Bluesbreakers, it continued to evolve up until his first retreat from playing in 1971. Few have undergone such dramatic changes in style in such a compressed period of time, and the shame is that the officially released recordings only gave the public a glimpse of what he was capable of. It is the wealth of bootleg live recordings, including these, that provide us with a larger view, though still incomplete, of his metamorphosis.
Do you have the “John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers – Live in 1967” set? Can you confirm any of the other dates?

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Junior Ledgie

As best as I can make out the below seems to be the mapping to original gig/tape.

All Your Love (I Miss Loving)
The Manor House, London, England May 05, 1967
(Note the introduction "Welcome to John Mayall's Bluesbreakers is from The Ram Jam Tapes)

Brand New Start
Bromley Technical College, London England April 29, 1967

Double Trouble
The Marquee Club, London, England April 27, 1967

Streamline

Have You Ever Loved a Woman
The Ram Jam Club, London, England February (I have 2nd Feb 1967)

Looking Back
Bromley Technical College, London, England April 29, 1967

So Many Roads

Hi Heel Sneakers -
Klook’s Kleek, London, England April 28, 1967

I Can’t Quit You Baby
Klook’s Kleek, London, England April 28, 1967

The Stumble

Someday After Awhile
Bromley Technical College, London, England April 29, 1967

San-Ho-Zay

Stormy Monday
Old 04-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for taking the time and effort - it is appreciated -
For Green fans, this is a must have purchase - technical deficiencies aside, this is vital part of Green's story

E. Vedder
Old 04-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

to win a copy of this album on CD, check out these links.....

http://fleetwoodmac-uk.com/wp/compet...d-peter-green/

https://www.facebook.com/fleetwoodmacuk

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 05-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

South China Morning Post by Robin Lynam May 9, 2015

http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-e...-all-hear-last

Guitarist Peter Green's legacy there for all to hear at last

Live recordings of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, featuring guitarist who replaced Eric Clapton in the band, have been released in album form

Jazz, blues and rock fans have collected bootlegs - also called "recordings of indeterminate origin" (ROIO) - for decades. They are often notable for poor to dreadful sound, but they sometimes capture performances of exceptional quality, even if in lo-fi audio.

These unauthorised recordings used to be fairly difficult to find, but countless numbers can now be easily downloaded and in many cases are posted on YouTube. It has also become common for record companies and the artists to issue these recordings officially, recognising that they are in circulation anyway and that a chance to turn a profit is being lost.

Probably the most successful archival issue programme of this kind has been Columbia's "The Bootleg Series" of Bob Dylan recordings - now on its 11th volume, The Basement Tapes, culled from arguably the most famous bootleg trove in rock. That series began in 1991 with the Volumes 1-3 boxed set.

A pioneer in the "official bootleg" area was John Mayall, who for his 1968 Diary of a Band albums (Volumes 1 and 2 were released separately) gave Decca Records concert tapes he had made of the version of the Bluesbreakers featuring guitarist Mick Taylor. That incarnation of the band is fairly well documented, but the shorter period between Eric Clapton's tenure and Taylor's, during which Peter Green was a member, is less so.

Just one album, 1967's A Hard Road, features Green all the way through, although he turns up on assorted singles and in cameo guest roles on other Mayall releases. Green left the band that same year, followed shortly by long-serving Mayall bassist John McVie, to form what was originally called Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

To hear how the Green-era Bluesbreakers sounded live, listeners had to trawl the internet for bootleg recordings with all but unlistenably poor sound. Now, however, Forty Below Records has released John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - Live in 1967 (Never Before Heard Live Performances), featuring Mayall on vocals, keyboards and harmonica, Green playing lead guitar, McVie on bass and Mick Fleetwood on drums.

Strictly speaking, the songs are not "unheard"; they've been in internet circulation for some time, but are presented here in significantly cleaned-up form, and represent Green as a bluesman at the peak of his considerable powers.

The music was recorded surreptitiously at five London clubs by Dutch blues fan Tom Huissen on a mono reel-to-reel recorder, and it was Huissen who brought his tapes to Mayall's attention.

"I'd known for a decade or two of the existence of these tapes, and in fact, Tom had sent me a CD with 50-second teasers for some of the tracks that he'd secretly recorded at our London shows," says Mayall. "Last year, Tom decided he wanted the world to hear these performances, and work soon began on restoring the already fine quality of the old reel-to-reel tapes."

"Fine quality" may be overstating the sound, but not the playing. Green had replaced Clapton in the band the previous year, and some of their repertoire still came from the Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton album, including its opener, Otis Rush's All Your Love, to which Green brings the same fire and fluency.

It is also interesting to hear the core line-up of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac beginning to hit their stride. "Through most of 1966, Peter and John were both regular members of the Bluesbreakers and Aynsley Dunbar was the drummer," recalls Mayall.

"However, even though Aynsley was a great drummer, it was starting to become apparent that his jazz-influenced style of playing was veering away from the blues. As I recall, Peter had been close friends with Mick Fleetwood for some time, and he suggested I give him a shot. And so for a short period of only about three months, Mick became a Bluesbreaker."

For fans of 1960s British blues, this is the most important archival release for some time, and a great improvement on the internet snippets that have represented this band live until now.

Eric Corne of Forty Below Records, who worked with Mayall to clean up the tapes, says: "While the source recording was very rough and the final result is certainly not hi-fidelity, it does allow us to hear how spectacular these performances are." They are indeed.

Take Three

Three classic blues albums featuring the guitar playing of Peter Green.
•Eddie Boyd and His Blues Band Featuring Peter Green (1967, Decca): Green, Mayall, Dunbar and McVie back singer-keyboardist Eddie Boyd to good effect. Green contributes several telling solos.
•Fleetwood Mac (1968, Blue Horizon): a little less of Jeremy Spencer's impersonation of Elmore James would have improved this album immensely, but it includes some of Green's best slow blues.
•The Biggest Thing Since Colossus (1969, Blue Horizon): Green, McVie and Danny Kirwan of Fleetwood Mac perform top-notch Chicago blues, although they were British.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers live set is a delight despite no-frills production

COLIN MORRIS Last updated 05:00, July 7 2015 Stuff. Co. NZ

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...lls-production

REVIEW:

BLUES John Mayall Bluesbreakers - Live In 1967

(Southbound) ★★★˝

As was typical with John Mayall, this particular band lasted a mere three months as he was notorious for firing members on a whim. Eric Clapton, Andy Fraser (Free), Dick Heckstall-Smith, Jon Hiseman (both Colosseum) and two from Canned Heat all came and went as Mayall sought to remain fresh. Yet as the years go by, members have only kind words to say about Mayall and many have returned for short stints. This album, recorded at five different venues in 1967 serendipitously by a Dutch fan with a mono recorder, came to the attention of Mayall who bought the rights and spent time remastering it. And, as to be expected, the results are not all that flash with quite a hollow sound. Yet blues fans and fans of Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, who went on to form Fleetwood Mac, will rejoice in the fact that this recording, not unlike the many 1920s re-discovered voices that we listen to in spite of the scratches, fills in a missing piece of the British blues scene.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but there is an article related to this release in Issue 23 of The Blues Magazine. From the magazine website:
Quote:
John Mayall talks about his time with 1967's incredible Bluesbreakers line-up featuring Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood as he releases the Live In '67 album.
Haven't bought the magazine though I saw it at a local magazine shop today, so I can't say how interesting the interview with Mayall may be (the magazine comes in a sealed cardboard sleeve so I couldn't browse through it). Looks like it's not the latest issue but it may still be available as it was at the shop I visited.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but there is an article related to this release in Issue 23 of The Blues Magazine.

Haven't bought the magazine though I saw it at a local magazine shop today, so I can't say how interesting the interview with Mayall may be (the magazine comes in a sealed cardboard sleeve so I couldn't browse through it). Looks like it's not the latest issue but it may still be available as it was at the shop I visited.
I was back in the magazine shop yesterday afternoon and found a copy of Blues Magazine with an opened sleeve so I was able to browse through it. The article looks like a good one, and includes new quotes from John Mayall, Tom Huissen, and Mayall's current producer Eric Corne of Forty Below Records (the live Mayall CD came out on that label).

The big news from Eric Corne is that Mayall selected enough live tracks from Tom Huissen's tapes for two CDs! According to the article, a second one will be released later this year. Haven't seen any official announcements about that yet, so I suppose the release might end up being later but hopefully we will see a second disc from those live shows before too long!

A side note - there's also a review of the Live in 1967 CD in that issue of the magazine and they gave it 10 out of 10 stars.

Correction - the correct issue of The Blues Magazine with this article is Issue 21, not 23 as I'd noted before...probably came out a few months back. The correct issue is the one with Willie Dixon on the cover.