The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: New album?
Yes 138 93.24%
No 6 4.05%
Suck it and see 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 PM
CADreaming's Avatar
CADreaming CADreaming is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
do you want a new album from your favorite band? of course, what would be the reason not to? because it may not be great? who cares! better than nothing. they will always be defined by rumours (they seem to insist on it!), whether or not other albums are great or not.
Because I would hate for their final album to suck. That's my reason, but I will probably like it. So...
__________________

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CA_Dream
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Because I would hate for their final album to suck. That's my reason, but I will probably like it. So...
I will die if it sucks!!
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 9,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I wasn't saying you did. I was hoping they don't try to sound like Rumours. All the other albums with the 5 seem to organically take on their own sound. I'm hoping that's what happens with the new album.
my point is - it doesn't matter. new album is better than no album, whether it sucks or not. it won't do anything to their legacy, whether it's good or bad. well a really good one like last Johnny Cash one may add to it. but sucky one would detract. so i see it as a win-win, as long as they finish it before the summer.
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 9,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
my point is - it doesn't matter. new album is better than no album, whether it sucks or not. it won't do anything to their legacy, whether it's good or bad. well a really good one like last Johnny Cash one may add to it. but sucky one would detract. so i see it as a win-win, as long as they finish it before the summer.
*would not detract.
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 PM
RockawayBlind RockawayBlind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
well they certainly never were and are still not MY favorite band. (and i have competing interests for a certain member's time.)

you like Cracker?? had no clue.
In fact, I will be seeing Cracker on Friday. I have no idea what the setlist will be and I expect the band will play one or two new songs because they are working on their next album. I expect some banter from the stage, but I have no idea what David Lowery will say.

And that's as it should be...
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-14-2014, 02:11 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
LOL!!! I was waiting for your response.
Oh dear I'm getting predictable in my old age...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Oh dear I'm getting predictable in my old age...
You and me both.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Matt Lucas Matt Lucas is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 107
Default Most anticipated release of the year...if it happens!

Hello all---

Crowded House is my all-time favorite band, so I’m pretty excited about former CH singer Neil Finn’s upcoming solo album. I’m also a Springsteen and Rosanne Cash fan, so their new albums have my attention, too.

But the prospect of Christine rejoining the band and a new Fleetwood Mac record featuring the RUMOURS line-up takes the cake. It’s hard not to have unreasonably high expectations for this project.

While a tour would be nice, an album is the main thing for me. Concerts come and go and are mostly forgotten. Rarely are concerts by rock bands works of art. Entertaining? Sure. Moving? Absolutely. Memorable? Often. Art? Not usually. Albums are art, and I truly think these band members have at least one more great work in them, collectively.

The key, I think, will be Lindsey and Christine working together and balancing each other. Stevie will always be Stevie---she’ll bring in at least one great song and probably a few other very good ones. Mick and John will continue to be one of the best rhythm sections in rock history. If Lindsey and Christine can get together on this project, the results will be amazing.

It’s hard to say what I want, as a fan, from a new album. But it’s far easier to say what I DON’T want. I don’t want a Beatles WHITE ALBUM-type record, where it’s basically three singers doing solo songs backed up by the band. I don’t want RUMOURS 2 or TUSK 2 or TANGO 2. And I don’t want them redoing the EP songs. Those were finished and released by the line-up that existed at the time. That chapter is closed, which is a good thing in my book. I don’t want Dave Stewart involved. I don’t want the band to remake the EP songs or “You Can’t Fix This” or songs from Lindsey’s recent solo records.

And perhaps most importantly, I don’t want them pulling a typical FM recording schedule and taking 12-18 months to make this record. Let’s face it…Christine is 70, John is 68, Mick is 66, Stevie is 65 and Lindsey is 64. They’re not getting any younger.

People have talked about the songs that Lindsey, Mick, and John recorded last year [from which the EP songs were chosen]. And people have also suggested that Stevie has lots of unreleased songs in her closet. Presumably, Christine does as well.

Honestly, I wouldn’t even mind if they did proper studio recordings of the new songs from THE DANCE. I’ve always wanted a good Mac studio version of “My Little Demon” and “Temporary One.” [Yes, I know that some people would probably argue that, with all the studio trickery, THE DANCE could be considered a studio album…] I think Stevie has done better songs than “Sweet Girl,” but it’s certainly not a bad song, either.

Ideally, it would be great to have a new album with new songs, built as a team from the ground up. But the reality is that they probably don’t have time to start all over again if they want to release the record this year. The Lindsey-John-Mick tracks being mostly finished means that they’re close to having the album 1/3 done. Based on the eight new titles I found on ASCAP’s website back in April 2013, there are five songs left that we know about. That’s a good start.

Some of my favorite Mac songs feature the band members---usually Christine and Lindsey---trading vocals. I just love that approach, and I hope they do it some more on this record. My favorites usually involve Lindsey singing parts of Christine songs [“Hold Me,” “Think About Me,” “Don’t Stop”]. Maybe they could flip the concept and have Christine sing parts of some of those newer Lindsey songs that are in the can.

Finally, the producer. We all know that if Lindsey produces this record by himself, we won’t hear it for another two years. He needs some help---not because he can’t do it alone, but because, at this point in their lives and careers, they need someone to encourage them to be their best, to work together, and to nudge them along.

With all due respect to Mitchell Froom, an excellent producer and keyboardist who worked with Lindsey on the recent EP songs, three names come to mind: Rick Rubin, Rick Rubin, and RICK RUBIN. And if you need a fourth, RICK RUBIN. A fifth choice would be…Glyn Johns…followed by RICK RUBIN, RICK RUBIN, and RICK RUBIN.

Why do they need Rubin, and why does Rubin need them? He’s made a career out of making established acts viable again. Not that FM has ever NOT been very good, but it’s not like Johnny Cash was bad, either. Rubin got hold of him and made him sound better, that’s all. Rubin seems to love working with artists that have a history…ones that have maybe been written off by the rock media. So he would get a little credit for helping FM make a final masterpiece. He’s also known for pushing artists to focus on what makes them successful. I think he’s a guy who would look any of them in the eye and say, “That was good, but I think you can do better.” Finally, Rubin’s records sound fantastic. His production is clear, organic-sounding, timeless. And Lindsey has actually worked with him briefly in the past [Lindsey sang GREAT Brian Wilsonesque backing vocals on the Rubin-produced Tom Petty SHE’S THE ONE soundtrack record].

Having said all of this, I will be happy with pretty much anything they release as long as they’re all playing and singing and the songs are decent. At this point, whatever they decide to do is a blessing and a surprise.

Umm...but do we know for sure what Christine rejoining the band means? Have they confirmed there will be a new record? What do we really know at this point?

matt
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Fannymac's Avatar
Fannymac Fannymac is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Hello all---

Crowded House is my all-time favorite band, so I’m pretty excited about former CH singer Neil Finn’s upcoming solo album. I’m also a Springsteen and Rosanne Cash fan, so their new albums have my attention, too.

But the prospect of Christine rejoining the band and a new Fleetwood Mac record featuring the RUMOURS line-up takes the cake. It’s hard not to have unreasonably high expectations for this project.

While a tour would be nice, an album is the main thing for me. Concerts come and go and are mostly forgotten. Rarely are concerts by rock bands works of art. Entertaining? Sure. Moving? Absolutely. Memorable? Often. Art? Not usually. Albums are art, and I truly think these band members have at least one more great work in them, collectively.

The key, I think, will be Lindsey and Christine working together and balancing each other. Stevie will always be Stevie---she’ll bring in at least one great song and probably a few other very good ones. Mick and John will continue to be one of the best rhythm sections in rock history. If Lindsey and Christine can get together on this project, the results will be amazing.

It’s hard to say what I want, as a fan, from a new album. But it’s far easier to say what I DON’T want. I don’t want a Beatles WHITE ALBUM-type record, where it’s basically three singers doing solo songs backed up by the band. I don’t want RUMOURS 2 or TUSK 2 or TANGO 2. And I don’t want them redoing the EP songs. Those were finished and released by the line-up that existed at the time. That chapter is closed, which is a good thing in my book. I don’t want Dave Stewart involved. I don’t want the band to remake the EP songs or “You Can’t Fix This” or songs from Lindsey’s recent solo records.

And perhaps most importantly, I don’t want them pulling a typical FM recording schedule and taking 12-18 months to make this record. Let’s face it…Christine is 70, John is 68, Mick is 66, Stevie is 65 and Lindsey is 64. They’re not getting any younger.

People have talked about the songs that Lindsey, Mick, and John recorded last year [from which the EP songs were chosen]. And people have also suggested that Stevie has lots of unreleased songs in her closet. Presumably, Christine does as well.

Honestly, I wouldn’t even mind if they did proper studio recordings of the new songs from THE DANCE. I’ve always wanted a good Mac studio version of “My Little Demon” and “Temporary One.” [Yes, I know that some people would probably argue that, with all the studio trickery, THE DANCE could be considered a studio album…] I think Stevie has done better songs than “Sweet Girl,” but it’s certainly not a bad song, either.

Ideally, it would be great to have a new album with new songs, built as a team from the ground up. But the reality is that they probably don’t have time to start all over again if they want to release the record this year. The Lindsey-John-Mick tracks being mostly finished means that they’re close to having the album 1/3 done. Based on the eight new titles I found on ASCAP’s website back in April 2013, there are five songs left that we know about. That’s a good start.

Some of my favorite Mac songs feature the band members---usually Christine and Lindsey---trading vocals. I just love that approach, and I hope they do it some more on this record. My favorites usually involve Lindsey singing parts of Christine songs [“Hold Me,” “Think About Me,” “Don’t Stop”]. Maybe they could flip the concept and have Christine sing parts of some of those newer Lindsey songs that are in the can.

Finally, the producer. We all know that if Lindsey produces this record by himself, we won’t hear it for another two years. He needs some help---not because he can’t do it alone, but because, at this point in their lives and careers, they need someone to encourage them to be their best, to work together, and to nudge them along.

With all due respect to Mitchell Froom, an excellent producer and keyboardist who worked with Lindsey on the recent EP songs, three names come to mind: Rick Rubin, Rick Rubin, and RICK RUBIN. And if you need a fourth, RICK RUBIN. A fifth choice would be…Glyn Johns…followed by RICK RUBIN, RICK RUBIN, and RICK RUBIN.

Why do they need Rubin, and why does Rubin need them? He’s made a career out of making established acts viable again. Not that FM has ever NOT been very good, but it’s not like Johnny Cash was bad, either. Rubin got hold of him and made him sound better, that’s all. Rubin seems to love working with artists that have a history…ones that have maybe been written off by the rock media. So he would get a little credit for helping FM make a final masterpiece. He’s also known for pushing artists to focus on what makes them successful. I think he’s a guy who would look any of them in the eye and say, “That was good, but I think you can do better.” Finally, Rubin’s records sound fantastic. His production is clear, organic-sounding, timeless. And Lindsey has actually worked with him briefly in the past [Lindsey sang GREAT Brian Wilsonesque backing vocals on the Rubin-produced Tom Petty SHE’S THE ONE soundtrack record].

Having said all of this, I will be happy with pretty much anything they release as long as they’re all playing and singing and the songs are decent. At this point, whatever they decide to do is a blessing and a surprise.

Umm...but do we know for sure what Christine rejoining the band means? Have they confirmed there will be a new record? What do we really know at this point?

matt
Matt, I agree.....I've said for years that Rick Rubin would be the PERFECT choice for a new FM record, especially with Christine back in the band. I was never a big Dixie Chicks fan, but the disc they did with him was BRILLIANT! AND....it went on to win the Album of the Year Grammy!!!!! Just saying...!!

(And, yes, it's official...Chris IS back!!)
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-14-2014, 01:20 PM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,532
Default

Producers: Timbaland, Rhett Davies, Xenomania, Richard X, Jon Brion. I can't think of anyone else worthy.
__________________
Find out more about my books: The Community of Desire: Selected Critical Writings (2001-2007) & Serpents and Doves <---Fleetwood Mac content!!! & my NEW book Watch the Throne
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM
BLY BLY is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,026
Default

Matt, I agree with everything you posted ( including the Crowded House comment) except recording studio versions of the songs from The Dance. That would be three less "new songs"
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Matt Lucas Matt Lucas is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Matt, I agree with everything you posted ( including the Crowded House comment) except recording studio versions of the songs from The Dance. That would be three less "new songs"
Haha! I guess I didn't make myself clear. I agree with you---new songs would be best. But if they're in a hurry and there's a shortage of material, I honestly wouldn't mind them doing proper studio recordings of "My Little Demon" and "Temporary One."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Producers: Timbaland, Rhett Davies, Xenomania, Richard X, Jon Brion. I can't think of anyone else worthy.
Ummm...are you being serious? Because if Timbaland is involved, I'd have to strongly consider not buying the record at all.

On one hand, I understand and appreciate the idea of them possibly using someone completely unexpected. But Timbaland? Bleck. Fleetwood Mac is timeless, a term I would never use to describe a producer of [though admittedly hooky and well-recorded] pop music. I fear that five years from now, his work will sound dated.

matt
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Johnny Stew's Avatar
Johnny Stew Johnny Stew is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 12,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
In fairness, I don't think Silver Girl could have been saved, nor do I think the atrocious crimes against grammar in Smile at You could have been fixed by Lindsey without Stevie's consent.
How do you feel about "You can't plant no seed," in "What's The World Coming To?"

That may be just one example, but they've all played fast & loose with grammar from time to time.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
How do you feel about "You can't plant no seed," in "What's The World Coming To?"

That may be just one example, but they've all played fast & loose with grammar from time to time.
As a writer, I feel grammar/diction in songs is up to the writer. You can write something "wrong" on purpose for emphasis. Or, it could be style, etc.

Changing tense is wrong on a school paper, but on an album you are financing? There is no hard fast rule. I actually asked a musical theater composer about this subject. He said, "It's my song and I can do anything I want with it. That doesn't mean it is going to sell, and I might get hell for it by the critics. But it is still my discretion."

Having said that, you don't want to look foolish. You do want a reason for writing, " FOR You You You You You You AND I" It's almost always easier to sing the I vowel vs. the E vowel. So keep your heart open and your eyes shut tight. What will be will be.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"

Last edited by jbrownsjr : 01-14-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM
RockawayBlind RockawayBlind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
How do you feel about "You can't plant no seed," in "What's The World Coming To?"

That may be just one example, but they've all played fast & loose with grammar from time to time.
Double-negatives are par for the course in rock. There would be a lot of silly-sounding rock songs if you replaced "ain't no..." For instance, "There is no sunshine when she's gone" or "There isn't any sunshine when she's gone" wouldn't have the same impact. Or try "Is that not a shame" instead of "Ain't that a shame..." Silly, no? Language can be beautiful even in its imperfections.

But when you say "I should've turned around and ran as fast as I can," it's just atrocious. There's nothing beautiful about that misuse of the language. The tense disagreement just sounds ignorant. "I should have turned around and run as fast as I could" would have lost the rhyme but would have not lost any power; in fact, it would have been more powerful.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks
$149.99
Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks picturec1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$49.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER pictureDENNIS WILSON candid PHOTO rare pic taken by Geo Emmel JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac
$44.0
DENNIS WILSON candid PHOTO rare pic taken by Geo Emmel JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac picture1978 Vintage Photo bass guitarist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac rock band posing
$24.0
1978 Vintage Photo bass guitarist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac rock band posing pictureWire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Wire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved