The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: New album?
Yes 138 93.24%
No 6 4.05%
Suck it and see 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #376  
Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 AM
PenguinHead's Avatar
PenguinHead PenguinHead is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Hello all---


matt
Hi Matt. I enjoyed reading your post and concur with everything you articulated about the Mac. I am also a huge Crowded House/Neil Finn fan...been obsessed for decades! I have seen Crowded House and Neil Finn solo at least a dozen times. Wasn't aware that Neil has another solo album coming out. Great news!

It's always exciting for me to find others who seem to have the same appreciation for a certain realm of integrity in music. Crowded House and Fleetwood Mac are two completely different worlds.
__________________
Life passes before me like an unknown circumstance

Last edited by PenguinHead : 02-08-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 02-09-2014, 03:54 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,483
Default

I would vote yes to a new Fleetwood Mac album
if they would take a look back at the albums
(White, Rumours) that made them what they are.
And try to replicate that sound.

There's no use for Tusk (my personal favorite) or
anything that came after it. Even though many of
us like some of the material released after 1980, it
does not compare with the albums from '75 and '77.
That sweet Fleetwood Mac sound.

Use a great studio. Fight before and during the recording
process. Get a great producer. No digital tricks - all analog.

From Christine I want warmth. Stevie, I just want her to
actually sing. And Lindsey you had better not whisper
even once.

That's the recipe.
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Kubrick2788 Kubrick2788 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 152
Default Whispering Lindsey, hahaha

I would think that the Lindsey that brought Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy to the table is the one showing up. If only for the sake of having a commercially viable album. Obviously he tried to stay pop with the EP (save for the piano ballad that was wildly out of place IMO), so I would think, especially with Christine back, he would be shooting for a more classic style. Maybe a second (pipe dream) album from the 5 would be Tusk level weird again. And that would be a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 02-09-2014, 03:14 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 8,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
I would think that the Lindsey that brought Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy to the table is the one showing up. If only for the sake of having a commercially viable album. Obviously he tried to stay pop with the EP (save for the piano ballad that was wildly out of place IMO), so I would think, especially with Christine back, he would be shooting for a more classic style. Maybe a second (pipe dream) album from the 5 would be Tusk level weird again. And that would be a good thing.
yes, why not?

people complain all over these threads that they don't want the pop LB from the the EP, that Christine can do that instead. my thinking is more on the same page as you - why not having 2 albums - one pop followed by a weird one?

of course, personally i would probably hate that. his Grammy performance with Trent and the guys whetted my appetite for solo FM-less LB again. and i assume that won't happen for a long long time now... then again, his Hesitation Marks involvement and Grammy performance came out of the blue and didn't take much of his time either, so maybe there's some hope for something like that too in between all this Mac work he'll be doing this year??
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes, why not?

people complain all over these threads that they don't want the pop LB from the the EP, that Christine can do that instead. my thinking is more on the same page as you - why not having 2 albums - one pop followed by a weird one?
If you start with the pop one and it disappoints them, they will never proceed to the weird one. If fans actually want two albums, the best approach would be with them to start with something a little avant garde, which they know is "out there" and they will not have high expectations about. Therefore, it won't hurt morale and then follow that up with something more traditional.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #381  
Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 8,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
If you start with the pop one and it disappoints them, they will never proceed to the weird one. If fans actually want two albums, the best approach would be with them to start with something a little avant garde, which they know is "out there" and they will not have high expectations about. Therefore, it won't hurt morale and then follow that up with something more traditional.

Michele
UTS followed by GOS.

i guess it depends who's "them" in "disappoints them".
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 02-09-2014, 04:49 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
UTS followed by GOS.

i guess it depends who's "them" in "disappoints them".
I meant the band, actually. I don't think they yet realize what we know, which is that this album will not sell and no one will care about it except, hopefully, critics.

And actually I was very much thinking about UTS and the way I would have rejected it if it had come after GOS when I wrote that.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 02-09-2014, 05:10 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 8,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I meant the band, actually. I don't think they yet realize what we know, which is that this album will not sell and no one will care about it except, hopefully, critics.
from what Mick has been saying - it's about getting new stuff out and being relevant that way, it will not sell anyway - i suspect Mick and Lindsey are aware of it.

although they both strike me as realizing that consciously, but still hoping that some kind of success may happen. and by success i mean high placement on the charts, not making any money of the album. they make tons of money touring anyway. like someone said, there are right kinds of promotion these days. sales after coven prove that. whatever makes you trend on twitter is the same thing that will give you sales.
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
although they both strike me as realizing that consciously, but still hoping that some kind of success may happen. and by success i mean high placement on the charts, not making any money of the album. they make tons of money touring anyway. like someone said, there are right kinds of promotion these days. sales after coven prove that. whatever makes you trend on twitter is the same thing that will give you sales.
But tie ins don't always help. SYW had that tie in with NBC where they got played on Friends and then they did Dateline. I think they were mentioned on Third Watch and they were on the Today Show and Leno, but that didn't help sales at all. You have to be on the right shows. I suppose they know that now, based on attention for Glee, Coven, American Idol, SNL, etc.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 02-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Kubrick2788 Kubrick2788 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 152
Default The RIGHT shows...

That is key anymore. Maybe if Lindsey wanted to go on Jimmy Fallon and play tissue boxes with the Roots... I just don't see them getting on SNL as a musical guest though. Not anymore. Unless the host is meant for an older audience as well...which is rarely ever.
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But tie ins don't always help. SYW had that tie in with NBC where they got played on Friends and then they did Dateline. I think they were mentioned on Third Watch and they were on the Today Show and Leno, but that didn't help sales at all. You have to be on the right shows. I suppose they know that now, based on attention for Glee, Coven, American Idol, SNL, etc.

Michele
They also had an AOL exclusive with Peacekeeper Live to promote.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$99.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER picture1978 Vintage Photo bass guitarist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac rock band posing
$30.0
1978 Vintage Photo bass guitarist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac rock band posing pictureWire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Wire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac pictureFLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band
$19.99
FLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band pictureJohn McVie of Fleetwood Mac Bikini Girls ORIGINAL 7x9 press photo #U6353
$9.99
John McVie of Fleetwood Mac Bikini Girls ORIGINAL 7x9 press photo #U6353 picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved