The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What guitars did Danny Kirwan play while with the band?

List all known guitars he played (even if they were not his) when he was with the band

this may be a quiz
Old 02-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
List all known guitars he played (even if they were not his) when he was with the band

Well he certainly, initially, used a Watkins Rapier- not sure whether it was the 3 pick up model or the 4 p/u version , It was a 60's British made , with bright red solid body,( think guitars used The Shadows,and beat groups for people who couldn't afford the expensive guitars ), with a white scratch plate, single coil p/us ,and had a tremelo (more correctly a vibrato unit ) though perhaps Danny didn't use this- he may have lost the trem arm!

( I myself had a red Rapier 44 (= 4 p/u model ) which I'd bought in Tooting for 30 pounds (they are worth about £250 now )but didnt know Danny even existed when I bought it!
I worked helping a milkman,( hard work- lots of stairs, no lifts, start too early
,and then in a garage* in Chelsea ,in the school holidays ,to get the money to buy the guitar !This was a lot of fun for a sixteen year old,I partucularly I remember two busty dolly birds in mini skirts crammed into one of those minute FIATS that were made then- I don't know how they fitted in !

*gas station for our friends over the pond

Last edited by THD; 02-26-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After his Watkins, he mainly used Les Pauls. He had a goldtop, I think a '56, then he later had a sunburst LP, which was much the same as Peter's ('59?). Whether or not he ever used Peter's is hard to tell from the videos, since they looked the same.

After that he had a three-pickup Les Paul Custom "Black Beauty" - the one he smashed the night he refused to go onstage in '72, after which he was fired. Whether or not that guitar survived that night, I don't know.

I think these are all the guitars that he owned and used while with Mac. In the live vid of "Like Crying", he plays a pale Telecaster, but I'm not sure if that was his or borrowed from someone else.

Supposedly he used to borrow Jeremy's strat in the studio sometimes, but I'm not sure. Maybe Jeremy could enlighten us?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
In the live vid of "Like Crying", he plays a pale Telecaster, but I'm not sure if that was his or borrowed from someone else.

Supposedly he used to borrow Jeremy's strat in the studio sometimes, but I'm not sure.
Think you got them all (as far as I know). To my ears Danny (possibly) play a Telecaster on "Mind of my own"

/z
Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
Think you got them all (as far as I know). To my ears Danny (possibly) play a Telecaster on "Mind of my own"

/z
I've certainly seen a pic somewhere, of Danny playing a white or cream Gibson SG with 3 pick ups (Custom?) Though he looked young, I suppose it could have been post Fleetwood Mac.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=THD;945964]

Well he certainly, initially, used a Watkins Rapier- not sure whether it was the 3 pick up model or the 4 p/u version ,
/QUOTE]

/www.ukrockfestivals.com/Hyde-park-8-24-68.html

I've hopefully provided a link to a report of the Hyde Park free gig (according to the records they did another date somewhere that same evening ! This is very soon after Danny joined.

Danny is the guitarist on the left but Note it looks like the guitarist is dark haired ,and cant therefore be Danny, but if you look closely you'll see Danny is playing with head down very short blond hair ( he's wearing a loose black crew neck t shirt and you can make out his neck curving) unfortunately there is a dark haired guy standing right behind him so initially it looks like one person !

So he is playing a Rapier 33- the 3 pick up model

Also of note:
They are using Marshal amps

They are using a tiny WEM PA No off stage sound mixing in those days!
WEM stands for Watkins Electrical Music and this was the same Charlie Watkins that built the Watkins Rapiers !

Jeremy is not on the stage!
As I described in another post ,he used to go and sit behind the amps ,but no sign of him here, nowhere to be seen.

Peter is playing a sunburst strat !

Finally ,I was not at this concert -don't know why it was the sort of ticket price that suited my schoolboy budget !Don't think I heard about it .Unbelievable !

But look at all the people who were there
Why aren't they posting their memories on the UKfestivals site or here? !!

Come on Folks!

Last edited by THD; 02-27-2011 at 12:22 PM..
Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Jeremy is not on the stage!
As I described in another post ,he used to go and sit benind the amps ,but no sign of him here, nowhere to be seen
Yes he is, you can see him behind Mick. His head is in between Mick and a long haired beauty.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Yes he is, you can see him behind Mick. His head is in between Mick and a long haired beauty.
Yep, well spotted Wouter !I stand corrected .
But presumably he's not playing, as he's standing behind members of the crowd ?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yep, well spotted Wouter !I stand corrected .
But presumably he's not playing, as he's standing behind members of the crowd ?
He might be playing - is that the headstock of his guitar there behind Mick's shoulder, between Jeremy and the girl? She looks a bit spaced out
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
He might be playing - is that the headstock of his guitar there behind Mick's shoulder, between Jeremy and the girl? She looks a bit spaced out
I first thought it would be a microphone, but I guess you're right in that it's the headstock of his guitar. According to his posture I presume he is playing.
As for the girl, I don't think she look a bit spaced out, rather cute actually.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
I first thought it would be a microphone, but I guess you're right in that it's the headstock of his guitar. According to his posture I presume he is playing.
As for the girl, I don't think she look a bit spaced out, rather cute actually.
Yes, I think it is the headstock we can see, and therefore he is wearing his guitar, but then he would be wouldn't he if he's just done the previous song . But I doubt he's playing, more likely tuning up before taking the stage for his next number (or just getting close to the beautiful lady so he can chat her up whilst the others are a bit occupied ..................
Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've certainly seen a pic somewhere, of Danny playing a white or cream Gibson SG with 3 pick ups (Custom?) Though he looked young, I suppose it could have been post Fleetwood Mac.
I would love to see that one .... :-)

/z