User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks can kill you

Let's see Bob Dylan do this...

From Bob Jones' Hands Off, a self-defense guide for women. He was a bodyguard for Stevie & Chris.

Higher res cover:

Stevie appeared on the cover of Australasian Fighting Arts magazine in the early '80s and it's my holy grail of Stevie items.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I LOVE the way the word 'KILL' looks especially scary!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You have to have see this.....
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love that clip just for how obscure it is.

And it should be noted that she did those kicks in platform boots.

Bob Jones discussed the photo shoot on his website:

HANDS OFF

Every morning I’d go swimming, convalescing the knee. While thinking about the advertorials on late-night television, where busy people got fit running on a machine, or pedalled like mad on a stationery bike, I had this image of swimming, non-stop, the second leg of a triathlon. A simple harness, securing the elastic band to either the waist or shoulders could be used to cater for either aerobic or anaerobic training. This gave birth to the swim-a-sizer concept.

Christine was very impressed and suggested we make tracks straight to her lawyer, Mickey Shapiro.

‘He’ll know what to do.’

Shapiro suggested he’d start the basic legals and we should get some quotes for the production of the shoulder harness, including the basic surfies’ elastic cord, straps, Velcro, buckles and packaging. During this period Dennis and I’d visited the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). Two Aussies, (one with a limp!) wanted to research violence against women.

Sure, you could see them thinking, let’s keep an eye on these two characters. And they certainly did!You could feel the cameras as Big Brother followed us every inch of the way. True to our word, we found more than we needed, and the cameras recorded every God damn thing.

One day we were over at Stevie’s, and she’d asked how it was coming along. She was keen to understand the concept of how I intended to make it a train-at-home-alone manual.

‘What can I do to help?’

‘How about a photo shoot of you and me for the cover?’
Swear to God, I honestly meant this to be a throw-away line.

‘It all sounds fabulous! I’d love to!’

‘Great Stevie, I’ll ring your publicist to do a photo shoot here by the pool.’

Stevie’s publicist was astounded.

‘Tell me, Bob, first, what’s the concept? And, second, how the **** did you pull this off? Stevie’s flatly refused to have any photos ever. I’ve been in negotiation for months with one of the world’s top monthly magazines … last offer in was $250 000 and she flatly refused. How the **** did you pull this off?’

‘Macho charisma,’ Dennis joked. ‘He makes me walk on fire, jump off cliffs and swim across the deepest rivers. To him, what’s a coupla ****ing photos: he’s the Chief!’

Stevie’s publicist had one of those special LA laughs: the one they use when they don’t think the situation at hand is all that funny.

On this day of the shoot I was standing in my martial arts training uniform, wearing my Black Belt. Then Stevie appeared, her hair done to resemble the mane of a lion. She was psyched up for some serious photographing. Stevie wore her familiar thick-soled, thick-heeled, knee-high brown suede kid leather boots. High roll-over socks appeared over the top of these elegant Swedish boots and hung tentatively around her knees.

The seductiveness of her partially exposed cleavage was the next thing any red-blooded male would have his attention drawn to … Stevie also had on the most unusual dress, with a snow white multi-layered, multi-lengthed hem-line. The white chiffon had multi-colored flowers. With the sun behind us during the shoot, Stevie would kick, sometimes over my head, so her dress would spread like a giant Japanese fan or butterfly wing.

In these kicking-style photographs the sun also made her dress partially see-through: just enough to be artistically interesting.

'My book Hands Off! is centered around nine mnemonic movements, I need a shot of each one’, I’d told the publicist.

‘That sounds easy. We’ll do six to ten of each pose, that’ll give you a good selection.’ She then checked the light and selected several different lenses for the camera set-up.

This lady was a professional: in two hours I had a hundred of the most magnificent photos ever offered to the martial arts, and just one would make the cover. I remembered what her publicist said. That a magazine had recently offered Stevie a quarter of a million dollars, and that she’d knocked it back.

‘Thanks a million, Stevie!’ - What else could I say?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Ledgie

holydenimed kung fu bell bottomed platformed u must die dunzo okay now
Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Registered

Re: Thread title:

But, she wouldn't.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wonder what mag that was- 250,000 must have been Playboy
Old 02-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob Jones taught my friend's dad Karate.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

2 more pics with Bob Jones:

Slightly bigger version of the fighting arts cover:

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustOrphan View Post
I love that clip just for how obscure it is.

And it should be noted that she did those kicks in platform boots.

Bob Jones discussed the photo shoot on his website:
That's so funny. The way he described Stevie showing up dressed for karate reminds me of how she showed up looking like Carol Burnett, dressed to be a cleaning lady.

She is something else.

Michele
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Um, this is like the best thing I've seen all week. Thanks for posting!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This whole thing had me rolling. The image of Stevie beating the crap out of somebody in 8 pounds of chiffon and 6-inch platform boots is too funny

Oh yeah, and the pics and that footage of "Stevie" singing Rhiannon was a nice touch too

You can add me on Facebook
Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Blogger's Discussion of the Black Belt Magazine photo of Stevie and the question of whether martial arts skills make women seem too masculine.

http://shewasabird.blogspot.com/2012...early-90s.html

And how about rock star Stevie Nicks (left)? Has her limited martial arts training made her any less appealing? Judge for yourself.

Things I would like to point out about this picture:

Stevie Nicks is doing some kind of martial arts.

Stevie Nicks is doing some kind of martial arts with a guy who looks like an illustration by Bakshi.

Stevie Nicks is doing some kind of martial arts with a guy who looks like an illustration by Bakshi WHILE WEARING FIVE INCH PLATFORM BOOTS.

I don't know what more you want from the universe. Maybe the caption "Has her limited martial arts training made her any less appealing?" Ah, yes. That actually did send it over the top (PS Stevie I love you in that way where I kind of want to be you).
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thats great Stevie can beat the sheet out of somebody.Got to many wackos out there.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Relics, really!!! You have a Holy Grail, GoldDustOrphan!!
And I laughed a lot with the video!
Stevie can kill me when she wants, but not with those boots, PLEASE!!!
Thanks for share,
Regards!