Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Registered

Default Ledgie Top Tens: Album Edition

So, it's obvious we're all major music fans here. Music is like oxygen to me, and I have many favorites - we've recently had a few threads asking us to name what we consider the most beautiful songs ever, or asking what other bands or artists we are rabid about, so I thought I'd add another list to the mix.

What are your top ten favorite albums of all time and why? Don't answer based entirely on technical merit or influence on the music industry - base it on what you personally consider to be the greatest, the records you can't live without.

I'll start, and limit my answer to a list of 10, in no particular order:

- Elton John's Live in Australia with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra - My mother had this on cassette when I was very young, and I love it more than words can say. I played the tape til it disintegrated & have since probably bought the CD at least 20 times, for myself and to give as gifts. Love the video of it, too, with Elton's kickass wig. "Madman Across the Water" with the orchestra is absolutely mindblowing, as is "60 Years On," "The King Must Die," "Have Mercy on the Criminal," and...well, hell, all of it. Just superb in every sense of the word.

- Fear Factory's Demanufacture - FF are one of my all-time favorite bands, and this is what I consider to be them at their peak. Previous albums, as well as the next album, "Obsolete," are also amazing, but nothing beats "Demanufacture" for sheer crunchy genius.

- Aphrodite's Child's 666 - I can listen to this straight through 5 times in a row and still not get tired of it. Yes, even Irene Papas' 5 min. + spazzy orgasm thing. It's just that damn good.

- Tori Amos' Boys for Pele - This is neck & neck with Little Earthquakes & From the Choirgirl Hotel, but Boys edges those two out for the amazing that is "The Doughnut Song."

- The Alan Parsons Project's The Turn of a Friendly Card - Another album I grew up on, because my mom played it constantly. I ganked that cassette from her, too, and played it til it fell apart like the Elton John tape. There is not one bad song, nor even one remotely "meh"-ish.

- The Sisters of Mercy's Floodland - "Dominion/Mother Russia"? "This Corrosion"? "Driven Like the Snow"? "Lucretia, My Reflection"? "Flood II"? Three words, my friends - utterly. bastard. groovy.

- Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds' No More Shall We Part - No list of mine could ever be complete without an entry from Mr. Cave & the Bad Seeds, but it's hard for me to choose a favorite. In the end, though, No More gets it because it gave us "Oh My Lord," which I consider to be the epitome of perfection when it comes to songwriting.

- Acid Bath's When the Kite String Pops - This band was just not around long enough, and whenever I listen to Kite, I am reminded of what a damn shame that is.

- Sunshine Blind's Love the Sky to Death - Another band that just wasn't around long enough (unfortunately, partly due to the shenanigans of one Andrew Eldritch of aforementioned Sisters of Mercy), Love the Sky to Death was one of the albums that really got me into goth music back in the day, and it still stands up like whoa whenever I listen to it.

And last, but not least - - The 4 disc version of 25 Years: The Chain - I feel like this is cheating, but it's the only way I'm going to be able to get most of my fav Mac songs on one release.

All right, so there's mine. Whatcha got for me?

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 02-20-2010, 04:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this thread! I am someone who bases the music I like completely around albums in their entirety.

Jewel Pieces Of You-This was the first cd I bought that I listened to in it's entirety every day for about 5 months straight, and I still listen to at least one song from it every day now. If you don't cry at least once while listening to it, there is something wrong with you. From classics such as "Who Will Save Your Soul" to deeper tracks such as "Adrian", there is a story within each song that is absolutely incredible to hear.

Marilyn Manson Mechanical Animals-After shocking the world with the rambunctious Antichrist Superstar, his fourth album revealed a more sensitive side to Manson. This album has one classic tune after another, which eventually becomes a concept album about losing sensitivity in a mechanical world. The last three songs "Fundamentally Loathsome", "The Last Day On Earth", and "Coma White" are breathtaking.

Mariah Carey The Emancipation of Mimi -Not much to say about this album except it falls perfectly into my taste of music-depressing. She makes a comeback that is exceptional while showing off her voice in songs like "Circles", "Mine Again", and "Stay The Night"

R. Kelly R. Kelly-The reason I love R&B music. This will make you feel as if you are in love with a lamp if you are listening to it at the time . "Religious Love" is a must hear from this album.

The Academy Is Almost Here-This was their first release, and it is filled with melodic songs that are impossible not to love. "Slow Down" and "Checkmarks" make this album worthwhile.

AFI Decemberunderground-Once you get 5 songs in and hear "The Interview", this concept album is addictive.

Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon-Everyone knows why this album is on any top albums list. I just couldn't leave it out of mine.

Fleetwood Mac Say You Will-My first FM album, and remains my favorite. Of course, Christine could have made it much more than what it came out to be.

Brand New The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me-This is definitely a slow burner, in that it took me a year to realize it's genius. They took a new direction by making darker and deeper music that isn't ridden with the teen angst of their previous releases. You must buy this album if you don't have it, especially if you've never heard of it. If anything, listen to "Jesus Christ".

Janet Jackson The Velvet Rope-More R&B gold, the reason I love Janet.

I still have like 30 more I would list, but these are the ones that stand out to me.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mmh, this is kind of difficult, but I'm gonna give it a try (in no particular order)

Tusk, obviously. Not the first Mac album I had, but my favorite for sure. It really had, and still has, a great impact on me. If, one day, I should record an album, it would sound like this. Thank you Mr. Buckingham, that's all I can say. I could select my favorite songs, but apart from Never Make Me Cry, and That's enough for me, I love them all.

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, by the Beatles, obviously, one more time. It's kind of easy, because it's considered as one of the best albums of all time, and it really is. I absolutely love this album, because of his eccentrism. It was ambitious, back in that time, and today, it still is. Favorite songs, probably, mmh, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, She's leaving Home, Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite, and A Day in the Life.

Parallel Lines by Blondie. I've always been a Blondie fan, and it was tie between Plastic Letters and this one, but I finally choose Parallel Lines because I listen to it right now. This is an energetic album, with great pop-rock songs, and I LOVE pop rock songs. What's more, when you listen to it one time, you can't get enough of it. My favorite songs are 11:59, Picture This, Sunday Girl, Heart of Glass, One way or Another, and Will Anything Happen?.

Curtains, by John Frusciante. It's a shame that John Frusciante is just known because of the fact that he's Red Hot CHili Peppers' guitarist (well, not anymore). He's also an AMAZING solo artist, and this album is really an intimate one (I could have chosen another album, they're all great). Favorite songs : The Past Recedes, A Name, Your Warning, Leap Your Bar, Time Tonight...

Led Zeppelin IV, by...well, Led Zeppelin. Nothing to say, just my favorite Rock (you know, pure rock) album of all time (with Led Zeppelin I..). Come on, STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN !. Favorite songs : Going to California, Stairway to Heaven, Rock n' Roll, When the Levee Breaks.

Tea for the Tillerman, by Cat Stevens. First word that comes to my mind when I think of it : BEAUTIFUL. That's all. Favorite songs : Wild World, Sad Lisa, Into White, Father and son.

The Velvet Underground and Nico, by The Velvet Underground...and Nico. Lou Reed is a genius. So, this album is genius too, all the songs being composed by Lou Reed. Favorite ones : Sunday Morning, Venus in Furs and Heroin.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I don't listen to it anymore, but it was the first band and the first album I fell in love with. Favorite songs : Under The Bridge, I Could Have Lied, Give it Away, Blood Sugar Sex Magik...(okay I'm going to listen to this!)

Automatic Writing by Ataxia. John Frusciante + Josh Klinghoffer + Joe Lally = Great combination. It's surrealistic, but I love it. Favorite songs : The Sides, Dust and Montreal (there are 5 songs, actually).

Bella Donna. It was tie between this album and Gift of Screws haha. But Stevie is Stevie. So, I'm going for Bella Donna, which is a great album, it contains a lot of my favorite Stevie songs : Bella Donna, How Still My Love, Outside the Rain, Edge of Seventeen and Kind of Woman.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't have time to explain why right now but real quick, 10 of my favorite albums (in no order):

The Gun Club - Mother Juno
The Ramones - !Adios Amigos!
Deborah Harry - Def, Dumb, & Blonde (hence the username )
The Velvet Underground - Loaded
Stevie Nicks - Trouble In Shangri-La
Iggy Pop - Blah Blah Blah
Blondie - No Exit
Heart - Heart (1985)
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down
Old 02-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered

Great lists - it's so cool to see such diverse entries. And thank you for the little explanations/info along with them. I always want to hear a "why" when someone says something is a favorite. I'm so needy.

Keep 'em coming, y'all!

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 02-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Some of these may be cliched choices but hey, cliches happen because, more often than not, they're right - haha!

Ryan Adams - Gold (2001)
Fantastic songwriting. 17 tracks (with the UK bonus one) and I don't skip any. Even though it's a long album it still feels very focused and never goes off into self-indulgence. This was even better than Heartbreaker and for me he's never topped it, although he's done some great stuff since then. Major quality control issues now though. He seems to release anything and everything...

Counting Crows - August and Everything After (1993)
My first encounter with one of my favourite bands. It was clse between this or Recovering The Satellites (1996) but I think that this introduced the band so, so well and has a diverse range of material from their classic singalong pop yet dark sentiment (Mr. Jones) to their all out bleak yet beautiful ballads (Time and Time Again, Anna Begins)

Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis (1969)(
Flawless. I think you have to have no ears to dislike this record! Haha. It was genuinely shocking at points too to hear a white woman singing such soulful, risque lyrics as those in Son Of A Preacher Man. Also, Breakfast In Bed and I Don't Wanna Hear It Anymore are both heartbreaking and voyeuristic/titallating (but not smutty) at the same time. Just wonderful.

Aimee Mann - Bachelor No. 2, or, The Last Remains of the Dodo (1999)

This was the album that really sold me on Aimee. I already had Lost In Space (her follow up to this) but when I got this I just thought, wow. Brilliant lyrics all the way through and fantastic production. It gets pretty savage at points too, especially Calling It Quits and The Fall Of The Worlds Own Optimist. Hard to pick a favourite track from this album but I'd have to go for Red Vines.

Cranberries - No Need To Argue (1994)
Man, I played this album over and over and over again when I was between 13-15 years old. One of those albums that really gets you at the right age and you learn to love every single note. I re-discovered it a couple of years ago and it's still brilliant. I Can't Be With You is great, although Zombie has not aged as well and was overplayed at the time. My parents must have been worried hearing Ode To My Family blasting from my room so often ("does anyone care??" - haha!) but there was no such darkness, I just loved the album. If this had Linger on it then it may well be the only Cranberries album you'd ever need. Dreadful follow up though (To The Faithful Departed), best avoided.I have to see them on tour now that they've reformed. I'm waiting for more dates.

Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna (1981)
Until I heard the next album on this list I thought this was perhaps the best debut album of all time. Certainly the best by a group memeber for a solo career. It sets Stevie apart as an artist in her own right with the more country-ish material (After The Glitter Fades, Leather and Lace) yet still reminds us all that she is a ROCK star (Edge of Seventeen).

Jackson Browne - Jackson Browne (Saturate Before Using) (1972)
Ok. I'm just gonna say it. I prefer Jackson Browne to James Taylor. I love James, but Jackson's run of albums in the 70s (his first 5) just can't be beaten in terms of sheer sustained quality. I'm gonna say that this is the best debut of all time. That piano riff on Doctor My Eyes, the romance of Jamaica, Say You Will...love it, and Song For Adam gets me every time.

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (1995)

Now this is how to change your image - haha! Yes, it's angry girl music and has been imitated and parodied to death since it came out, but if you take it on merit then the songs are just fantastic!

Phew! Sorry if this post dragged on a bit.... There are so many more albums I could go on about but I'm sure you'd all get pretty bored of hearing me lecture/rant/pontificate/piss you off... (delete as applicable, haha)

Last edited by Dodfather; 02-20-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Old 02-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham - Law & Order
Lindsey Buckingham - Go Insane
The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys (1979)
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulliten (1999)
The Flaming Lips - Embryonic (2009)
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Kaya (1978)
Stevie Nicks - The Wild Heart
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. (1972)

Honorable mentions : Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007), Electric President - Sleep Well (2008)

I love all of these because they are albums in the true sense of what I believe a perfect album is - a theme, or consistant feel runs through them, the songs flow perfectly & should be listened to start to finish.

Last edited by The Chain; 02-20-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FM- Mystery To Me
FM- Rumours
Eagles- Hotel California
Son Volt- Trace
Yes- 90125
Restless Heart- Wheels
Alabama- Mountain Music
Stevie Nicks- Bella Donna
BR5-49- self-titled(aka the telephone album)
Diamond Rio - Love a Little Stronger
Old 02-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In no particular order (Beause I just can't)

Plastic Letters - Blondie
This album is just all out bliss! When I first heard it, I played it on repeat for 3 days. It's much more raw than their first album and all the follow ups, for me, this IS Blondie. It exhudes everything they are for me.

Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night
Because it was my first. It's not their best, in my opinion, but it's the album that I first heard, it was also one of my first records (I took guardianship of it from my mums collection) It was also the first album I ever played on my turntable. Christine REALLY shines throughout on it too.

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie
In one word... Epic. In a few more; I will never get enough of this album. I play it so often, I have two copies. The vocals are perfect, the look is f*ing gorgeous. I'd do a lot for Ziggy Stardust The guitar is infectious and the lyrics are out-of-this-world clever.

The Velvet Underground and Nico - The Velvet Underground
In my opinion, the Velvets at their best.

Christine Perfect - Christine Perfect
Gah, I love this one SO much. I play it at least once a day and every night before I go to bed. This album taught me to love Blues. I just wish I could afford a vinyl copy (I don't own a CD player)

Horses - Patti Smith
Before I heard this album I had a lot of hate for Patti, because she'd been rude to Debbie Harry in the past, now she's one of my biggest idols and inspirations. I remember finding it at a flea market for £1 and thinking 'what the heck, if I don't like it, I'll get £5 for it on eBay'. I'm so glad I did buy it though, it's one that changed the way I look at things and re-kindled my love for poetry.

Lungs - Florence + the Machine
Lungs is the only album I listen to released after 1989 (Bar my favourite bands and artists albums like SYW, No Exit, TISL etc) and boy do I love it. Florence Welch has an amazing voice. Fact. She also brought new life to a song that I hated before. And there's lots of Tabourine useage

Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols - Sex Pistols
Need I say more?

Bella Donna - Stevie Nicks
IMO, Stevie at her best. I have Edge of Seventeen as my alarm tone to wake me up in the morning. I love everything about it and would sell my soul to have been alive to see the tour.

Def, Dumb & Blonde - Deborah Harry
Def, Dumb and Blonde is my favourite of Debbie's solo albums. The songs are danceable or just easy to listen to in an evening. They never fail to cheer me up either. Not to mention that gorgeous NJ accent on the spoken lyrics.

Oh my god, this is long O_o

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 02-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These lists are always fun to make! In no particular order:

1. The Dance- Fleetwood Mac: I know it's really not all that "live", but I listened to this album so much that the CD started to skip and I had to buy a new copy. I became a fan because of this album, and I still love it.

2. MTV Unplugged- Nirvana: Once again another album I has to re-purchase because the CD started to skip from over-use. I love, love the covers on this album especially Where did you sleep last night.

3. Achtung Baby- U2: Many people think The Joshua Tree is their best work, but I've always liked Achtung more. One, Love is Blindness, Mysterious Ways...

4. Flaming Red- Patty Griffin: I got this for free from a friend who was given a bunch of CD's she didn't want from work. I'm glad she didn't keep this one. I know there are other fans of hers on this board, but everyone should give her a listen. Her voice is phenomenal. This is my favorite album of hers, stand out tracks for me are Mary and Goodbye.

5. Out of the Cradle- Lindsey Buckingham: It took me a while to find Lindsey's albums. They weren't available in my local big box stores back in the late nineties. I finally got a hold of all three at a Borders in downtown Chicago. I took the Metra back to the suburbs and listened to OOTC on the way home. It was worth the wait. Although he has some angry and sad songs on this album, it always strikes up a relaxed mood for me. I'm still waiting to hear Countdown and Soul Drifter live one day. I wish I had seen the OOTC tour since he doesn't perform much off of the album these days.

6. Rumours- Fleetwood Mac: I know you're supposed to say Tusk, and although I like many individual tracks off that album, Rumours has a much better flow.

7. What's the Story Morning Glory?- Oasis: Great Brit rock from the nineties, and I love it! Don't Look Back in Anger, Champagne Supernova!

8. Self-Titled- Sheryl Crow: This is her second album and still her best imo. My favorites are the non-single tracks like Hard to Make a Stand and Redemption Day.

9. Greatest Hits- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: I don't know if this is considered cheating, but all of their best stuff to date was on this album. Southern rock at its finest. Everyone I knew had this album and we all played it to death.

10. Actual Miles- Don Henley: Probably cheating again with another greatest hits package! I love his eighties solo work and here it all is nicely collected in one disc. Boys of Summer, The End of the Innocence, and The Heart of the Matter always remind me of summer when I was a kid and life was uncomplicated.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
10. Actual Miles- Don Henley: Probably cheating again with another greatest hits package! I love his eighties solo work and here it all is nicely collected in one disc. Boys of Summer, The End of the Innocence, and The Heart of the Matter always remind me of summer when I was a kid and life was uncomplicated.
Dammit, I forgot about Don Henley! Building the Perfect Beast is definitely in my top ten! Buy it, if you don't have it.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I wish I could pick a top 20. It's hard to narrow it down to 10 as I like so many other albums equally... for different reasons. The particular ones below, I never tire of listening to.

1) A Kind of Magic (or Live at Wembley Stadium)- Queen

2) The Dance - Fleetwood Mac

3) All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2

4) Synchronicity - the Police

5) Wildflowers - Tom Petty

6) Batman Motion Picture Score - Danny Elfman

7) OOTC - Lindsey Buckin'ham

8) Scarecrow - John Mellencamp

9) The End of the Innocence - Don Henley

10) The Last Waltz - The Band
Old 02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post

8) Scarecrow - John Mellencamp
This used to be one of mine, and it's probably his best album, but he's such a douchebag f*ckface, that it's ruined his music for me. Same with Steve Earle.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Regina Spektor's Far: I absolutely love this girl. I've been listening to her music since middle school and i still feel the same way
Aaliyah's last album: I got this CD before she died and the one they issued after she died
N'Sync's Celebrity: I'm not saying that this cd is epic but it's they first one I ever owned lol and plus i loved it (Selfish!!) but my sister keyed my name into it so i didn't work anymore =[
Alanis Morissette's MTV Unplugged: i really love her voice and she first had me with You Oughta Know.
Alexz Johnson's upcoming album..even tho this really shouldn't count but her demos are pretty good and i will (try to) be the first to go out and get it.
Gift of Screws: my first lindsey cd =]
Christina Aguilera's Stripped: I loved that she completely changed her image from the "bad" pop girl to somewhat of an actual artist.
Coldplay's LeftRightLeftRightLeft: coldplay live
Dixie Chicks' Taking the Long Way: I was one of the fans they gained after that whole George Bush/Toby Keith thing..FUTK
Crystal Visions: my first Stevie cd..when i was 14. I already liked her then and this helped alot even tho after hearing the midnight special version of rhiannon i was a little disappointed that it wasn't done the same way (I got over it)
Old 02-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
This used to be one of mine, and it's probably his best album, but he's such a douchebag f*ckface, that it's ruined his music for me. Same with Steve Earle.
I feel the same way about John Mayer.