Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Entertainment Weekly's review of Taylor and Stevie

In the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, they review the Grammy's. The best performances they say were Lady Gaga with Elton John (I agree), Beyonce and Pink. The worst performance... Stevie and Taylor. They write:

"An odd swig of soda pop mixed with merlot. Taylor, game but pitchy, lacked the aptitude for Fleetwood Mac's sumptuous 'Rhiannon', and Nicks on Swift's 'You Belong With Me' was the sonic equivalent of putting the leather and lace icon in pigtails and Abercrombie. What befits a legend and an ingenue? Alas none of the above. Grade: C"
Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL that is hilarious! This controversy isn't going away. It's all over the blogs again today.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
LOL that is hilarious! This controversy isn't going away. It's all over the blogs again today.
There are so many bad reviews of Talor all over the internet. I'm not even bothering to post them anymore. However, Stevie is being raved about everywhere!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't believe this topic is such a big deal out there in the media. Really hurtin' for stories, I guess.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Junior Ledgie

Truly not the worst Grammy performance I've seen and I find the attention surprising considering the common use of lip syncing in TV performances.

I do have to give the queen some credit for having the foresight to bring Waddy along. Who knows what the outcome would have been if he wasn't there to hold Rhiannon together.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know 'bout you, but I love the 'Soda pop/Merlot' analogy.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with the comment about putting Stevie in pigtails and Abercrombie. Taylor's songs (which she writes herself) are great for her. But I thought the song was WAY too fluffy for Stevie. Stevie is a far deeper artist and sounds odd singing fluff.
For anyone who happens to like Taylor Swift, I have NO problems with her at all. I've even seen her in concert just before she hit it big when she was opening for another act. She's great in her own way, she and Stevie are just on very different levels.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i think stevie singing " she wears short skirts i wear tee shirts...she wears high heels i wear sneekers...." was an embarrasment... SHE IS GOING TO BE 62 YEARS OLD!! i literally turned away...this is a rediculous bubble gum song..it would have made more sense to have her sing w/Pink than a 17 yr. old kid...i dont kno WHO her advisor is but they should be fired..both performances were a joke...she does the weirest things sometimes that make absolutely no career sense at all...someone must think that singing with taylor swift would open up a new audience for her...it is not gonna happen...i hope she hurries up and makes a wise career move such as a NEW album w/NEW material OR write that god**** book she been talking about for 10 years or she is going to just fade away...stars usually change paths when they are on top...stevie is slowly falling and it is starting to get sad
Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

It's great that Stevie is getting so much positive media attention. I hope it's affirming to her and will encourage her to work on new projects. It's a relief that it didn't turn out the other way around with people saying negative things about her.

A
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwasme View Post
It's a relief that it didn't turn out the other way around with people saying negative things about her.

A
Agreed... because honestly, Stevie's vocals were far from spectacular themselves! She just got lucky and the alignment of the stars allowed her to sidestep a serious atomic bomb.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If people actually think about what has happened, IT'S FREAKING HILARIOUS! Stevie has always been criticized for her vocals, and now, at the biggest awards show of the year, she sounds just as bad and everyone hails her as a great singer. SHE MUST REALLY BE A WITCH or truly the angels are looking out for her. It's like a sitcom and people are making fools of themselves.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think she sounded bad at all...especially considering that she was trying to harmonize with someone who can't sing.

Also the fact that any grown woman singing the sophmoric lyrics of You Belong With Me is going to sound...not good. I don't even know how else to say it.

Last edited by GypsyBlueEyes; 02-04-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Old 02-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the funny thing is that Taylor probably doesn't give a rat's ass. She just won a gazillion Grammy's!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Greg Evans, Huffington Post, 2-6-2010
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-e..._b_452226.html

Well, that was fast.

Taylor Swift rose to the heights and fell to the bottom all in one night. John Edwards, eat your heart out.

This week should have been glorious for the wispy-voiced pop star and voice of a wispy generation. She won four Grammy Awards last Sunday, including the big one--Album of the Year for Fearless.

But she just had to go and sing.

Her tone-deaf duet with Stevie Nicks, particularly on "Rhiannon," was ready-made for YouTube, where "forks on a glass plate" was posted by a fan. (Forks, Ms. Nicks. Plural.) As a career-ender, the performance was no "Rock Me Tonight," but Scott Borchetta, president of Swift's record label Big Machine, played quick defense nonetheless. So what, he told the Nashville Tennessean, if she isn't "the best technical singer." At least she is "probably the best emotional singer."

Probably, Scott? Might want to let the P.R. staff earn its paycheck. But I get the point. Since when did a pop singer need a perfect voice?

Or a voice, for that matter. In 1980, Marianne Faithfull appeared on Saturday Night Live. Her vocal cords, not so much. A croaked rendition of "Broken English" killed a hoped-for comeback and climaxed a decade-long spiral into drugs and despair. I bought her album that Sunday morning.

I know the difference between dissipated chanteuse and pouty poseur. Billie on one hand, Britney on the other. But really, isn't carrying a tune measly stuff by which to measure a singer? Mention The Supremes and someone is bound to rehash the Dreamgirls wisdom that Florence Ballard was the true musical talent, Diana Ross merely the face.

Just say "Baby Love" and walk away.

If I had to delete all but the "technical singers" from my iPod, I'd be left with a few songs by Ella Fitzgerald, The Best of Rosemary Clooney and "Somethin' Stupid" by Frank and Nancy Sinatra. And I'd have to fast-forward through Nancy.

No more Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, Neil Young, Kurt Cobain, Leonard Cohen, Muddy Waters, Pere Ubu, and oh just get me a new iPod already.

I don't listen to Taylor Swift--that breathy, flat-bended, conversational phrasing started grating my nerves somewhere between Jagged Little Pill and Alanis Unplugged. Her pretty-girl-as-dork affectations target two or three demographics far, far removed from my own. To Grammy voters, grow up.

But at least give Taylor credit for not lip-syncing, no small act of rebellion in the Age of Auto-Tune. And if she had to warble off-key, she couldn't have picked a finer mentor than Fleetwood Mac's bleating goddess.

Now that I think about it, "You Belong With Me" is sorta catchy.

Perfect pitch is overrated. Technically speaking.