Old 11-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's another article, with more dirt:

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Not-so-Petty cash
to rock bat mitzvah

Tuesday, November 29th, 2005

History will forever record Elizabeth Brooks' bat mitzvah as "Mitzvahpalooza."

For his daughter's coming-of-age celebration last weekend, multimillionaire Long Island defense contractor David H. Brooks booked two floors of the Rainbow Room, hauled in concert-ready equipment, built a stage, installed special carpeting, outfitted the space with Jumbotrons and arranged command performances by everyone from 50 Cent to Tom Petty to Aerosmith.

I hear it was garish display of rock 'n' roll idol worship for which the famously irascible CEO of DHB Industries, a Westbury-based manufacturer of bulletproof vests, sent his company jet to retrieve Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and Joe Perry from their Saturday gig in Pittsburgh.

I'm also told that in honor of Aerosmith (and the $2 million fee I hear he paid for their appearance), the 50-year-old Brooks changed from a black-leather, metal-studded suit - accessorized with biker-chic necklace chains and diamonds from Chrome Hearts jewelers - into a hot-pink suede version of the same lovely outfit.

The party cost an estimated $10 million, including the price of corporate jets to ferry the performers to and from. Also on the bill were The Eagles' Don Henley and Joe Walsh performing with Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks; DJ AM (Nicole Richie's fiance); rap diva Ciara and, sadly perhaps (except that he received an estimated $250,000 for the job), Kenny G blowing on his soprano sax as more than 300 guests strolled and chatted into their pre-dinner cocktails.

"Hey, that guy looks like Kenny G," a disbelieving grownup was overheard remarking - though the 150 kids in attendance seemed more impressed by their $1,000 gift bags, complete with digital cameras and the latest video iPod.

For his estimated $500,000, I hear that 50 Cent performed only four or five songs - and badly - though he did manage to work in the lyric, "Go shorty, it's your bat miztvah, we gonna party like it's your bat mitzvah."

At one point, I'm told, one of Fitty's beefy bodyguards blocked shots of his boss performing and batted down the kids' cameras, shouting "No pictures! No pictures!" - even preventing Brooks' personal videographers and photographers from capturing 50 Cent's bat-miztvah moment.

"Fitty and his posse smelled like an open bottle of Hennessy," a witness told told me, adding that when the departing rapper prepared to enter his limo in the loading dock, a naked woman was spotted inside.

I'm told that Petty's performance - on acoustic guitar - was fabulous, as was the 45-minute set by Perry and Tyler, who was virtuosic on drums when they took the stage at 2:45 a.m. Sunday.

Henley, I hear, was grumpy at the realization that he'd agreed to play a kids' party.

I'm told that at one point Brooks leapt on the stage with Tyler and Perry, who responded with good grace when their paymaster demanded that his teenage nephew be permitted to sit in on drums. At another point, I'm told, Tyler theatrically wiped sweat off Brooks' forehead - and then dried his hand with a flourish.

Yesterday, Brooks disputed many details provided to me by Lowdown spies at the affair and by other informed sources, scrawling on a fax to me: "All dollar figures vastly exaggerated."

He added: "This was a private event and we do not wish to comment on details of the party."
Old 11-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
*thud*

I'm just curious - where was this published? I'm just saying, it's good netiquette to include the source when posting stuff like this.

Edit: Never mind, I just found it - contactmusic.com
Also here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-314735c.html
Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumour0323
This kid really doesn't know how lucky he is. Im sad for some reason.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I see nothing wrong with the bands accepting money for their performances at this function. However I do believe people do more harm than good to their kids and society when they treat them like this. Just for the mere fact that they're creating more rich assholes.

Last edited by ELIUD; 11-29-2005 at 04:28 PM..
Old 11-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kenny G blowing on his soprano sax as more than 300 guests strolled and chatted into their pre-dinner cocktails.

"Hey, that guy looks like Kenny G," a disbelieving grownup was overheard remarking - though the 150 kids in attendance seemed more impressed by their $1,000 gift bags, complete with digital cameras and the latest video iPod.

For his estimated $500,000, I hear that 50 Cent performed only four or five songs - and badly - though he did manage to work in the lyric, "Go shorty, it's your bat miztvah, we gonna party like it's your bat mitzvah."

At one point, I'm told, one of Fitty's beefy bodyguards blocked shots of his boss performing and batted down the kids' cameras, shouting "No pictures! No pictures!" - even preventing Brooks' personal videographers and photographers from capturing 50 Cent's bat-miztvah moment.

"Fitty and his posse smelled like an open bottle of Hennessy," a witness told told me, adding that when the departing rapper prepared to enter his limo in the loading dock, a naked woman was spotted inside.

Henley, I hear, was grumpy at the realization that he'd agreed to play a kids' party.

[B]OH MY GOD THIS STUFF IS HILARIOUS!! RAOFLMAO
Old 11-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Amen. Always the voice of reason. I bow down to you, wise one.
Oh I agree everyone judges. But, I try not to because I hate when people comment on how I live my life and I think in some way I lose the right to be pissed about that if I do the same thing and judge other people.

Note - I am in no way condoning this party or anything like that. I am just pointing out the hypocrisy in us all.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
. . . There's a finite amount of money in the world at any given time . . . .
Say who and by which standard are you defining money?

Old 11-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIUD
I see nothing wrong with the bands accepting money for their performances at this function. However I do believe people do more harm than good to their kids and society when they treat them like this. Just for the mere fact that they're creating more rich assholes.
. . . and all rich people are assholes, which is the implication of your statement

Old 11-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . You're god damn right I'm going to judge those people for trading around those incredible piles of money among themselves rather than using more to help create a more egalitarian society.
Please stop your selfish typing and start using that time to feed the poor

Old 11-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Say who and by which standard are you defining money?
Sorry, let me change that to "wealth." There is a finite amount of wealth - whether it be in the form of legal tender, stock, property, other investments, whatever - in the world at any given time.

Says who? Umm... the entire concept of capitalism?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Please stop your selfish typing and start using that time to feed the poor
Thank you, I was feeling kind of bad pre-judging you by assuming you would completely ignore/misread the point of my post.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . and all rich people are assholes, which is the implication of your statement
Ooh, not quite, but you're kinda close! Read that statement again and give it another try!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you, I was feeling kind of bad pre-judging you by assuming you would completely ignore/misread the point of my post.
I got it and was being a smart ass, a reflection you should be used to

Old 11-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry, let me change that to "wealth." There is a finite amount of wealth - whether it be in the form of legal tender, stock, property, other investments, whatever - in the world at any given time.

Says who? Umm... the entire concept of capitalism?
Well, under that theory, the entire Earth and, for that matter, universe is wealth. But, I suppose those are finite in some degree.

But, I was specifically referring to the standard measurements of wealth like M1, M2, M3, etc. - which get more loosely defined as they get higher.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ooh, not quite, but you're kinda close! Read that statement again and give it another try!
I think "Just for the mere fact that they're creating more rich assholes" implies all rich people are assholes. But, he may have not meant it that way and if so great.