The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While a large group of Mac fans are online fans...it's not that large of a group in the big scheme of things...the people who don't go to Mac websites, likely, had no idea about this album...I wouldve had no idea had I never been involved in the Mac online community...Say You Will was diff...there was a huge tour, with tix on sale before it's release....magazine articles...tv appearances...AOL huge promotion of the album...and everything..all added up...

Christine is not sad I'm sure, it's partly her fault...she has had no desire to really promote it herself...she chooses not to even do a small tour to promote it, has done no tv appearances for it yet...and like you said she didnt expect it to do much...it was just for us fans to enjoy

Chris
Old 09-21-2004, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
While a large group of Mac fans are online fans...it's not that large of a group in the big scheme of things...the people who don't go to Mac websites, likely, had no idea about this album...I wouldve had no idea had I never been involved in the Mac online community...Say You Will was diff...there was a huge tour, with tix on sale before it's release....magazine articles...tv appearances...AOL huge promotion of the album...and everything..all added up...

Christine is not sad I'm sure, it's partly her fault...she has had no desire to really promote it herself...she chooses not to even do a small tour to promote it, has done no tv appearances for it yet...and like you said she didnt expect it to do much...it was just for us fans to enjoy

Chris
what you said!
Old 09-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
No tour with simulated sex, no video with sex these days mean no album sales.
well, i don't recall jimmy buffet simulating sex on stage or film, yet his latest cd reached #1 i think. i think the actual explanation includes, as has been mention, the lack of touring & promotion, and chris's relatively unknown name (compared to stevie, for example). that's why stevie's solo albums and SYW debuted so well, yet in the meantime did not.

i agree that these little indie labels usually mean punky sales. they don't have the resources to launch a huge advertising campaign. so the albums are quietly released and languish on the shelves for awhile, bought only by people like us, until they are tossed into a discount bin.

also, people's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter--the buying public at large wants new things. so people like britney and jessica simpson will last awhile, selling millions of records, then peter out. on in the meantime, christine doesn't really do anything that hasn't been done before, even though she does it well for the most part. she was writing the same kind of songs on rumours, etc., and everybody already has those records. this is why perpetual innovators like bowie, dylan, prince, and madonna have been able to sustain their careers over decades with strong sales and widespread recognition throughout.

Last edited by misterbug; 09-26-2004 at 03:10 PM..