The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Anyone interested in Madonna's new album?

I heard demo of "Give Me All Your Love" few weeks ago and I must admit it didn't grab me. Maybe it's because I don't like Nicky Minaj, who seems to be very annoying person. Besides it's too poppy for my taste. Still I hope the album "M.D.N.A." will provide few enjoyable songs. What do you expect from the new album of Queen of Pop?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hmm, I like Madonna's older stuff best. I personally wouldn't spend my money on her new album and I agree, not too excited about Nicki Minaj being included.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't loved anything Madonna has done since Ray Of Light but I will check it out to see if it's any good. I love her earlier stuff, she was untouchable from 1984 - 1998. My favourites are often her ballads actually, especially Take A Bow and Crazy For You, in fact the whole Something To Remember album is fantastic. Like A Prayer too.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am excited!

I am not, however, interested in the inclusion of M.I.A. or Nicky Minaj. I hope and pray that their presence on the album is understated.

I've only heard the new song once, and it reminded me very much of the early 80's stuff that the GoGos were making when i was a kid - I really like some of the retro 80's sounds I've been hearing and hope that 'sound' is prominent on this album.

Madonna's career is in an interesting position right now. She's not with any major music label, and I hardly consider her Live Nation deal to be worthy of making great albums for. I totally expect Madonna to fill her contractual obligations with very little interest or oomph. After all, who does she really need to impress anymore? She's an icon, a superstar in the greatest sense of the word. There is no need for hit singles, no need for platinum selling albums, no need for cool videos. There is, simply, no need to impress anyone. She's really done it all, and with the success of her tours the need for new music isn't really there. I really don't think she even cares anymore.

I do expect the media to make much ado about nothing when it comes to the supposed rivalry they are building up between Madge and Gaga. It's funny - Madonna describes the similarities between Born This Way and Express Yourself an "interesting" and the media only days later is calling it a "slam".

If it were up to me, I'd prefer that Madonna team up with Patrick Leonard and Stephen Bray again and pump out a few albums that have that classic 1980's Madonna sound (think Open Your Heart or Dress You Up), rather than trying to keep up with some recent fad or trend that she likes. Madonna used to set trends, and now it feels like she's trying to keep up with them. M.I.A.? Really?

Ultimately, there's never been a Madonna album I didn't eventually come to love, and I don't expect this one to be any different - but I'm admittedly nervous.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I am excited!

I really don't think she even cares anymore.
I hope it's not true You know, I think she shoudn't be interested in sales and certifications. She should just release great album like she used to do in the past. Personally I hope that one day she'll go back to "American Life" style. That electronica-folky stuff was really interesting and way too underrated. I remember hearing "Nothing Fails" and asking myself "why wasn't it a bigger hit?".
Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I've only heard the new song once, and it reminded me very much of the early 80's stuff that the GoGos were making when i was a kid - I really like some of the retro 80's sounds I've been hearing and hope that 'sound' is prominent on this album.

If it were up to me, I'd prefer that Madonna team up with Patrick Leonard and Stephen Bray again and pump out a few albums that have that classic 1980's Madonna sound (think Open Your Heart or Dress You Up), rather than trying to keep up with some recent fad or trend that she likes. Madonna used to set trends, and now it feels like she's trying to keep up with them. M.I.A.? Really?
I'm a big Go-Go's fan so this is very interesting and yes, I couldn't agree more with your other comment.

EDIT: I just listened to it and yes, from what I hear it's very Go-Gos. Especially at the start.

Last edited by Dodfather; 01-17-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Old 01-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My bro works for her.....so i'll probably see the show if she tours......that's it though. Not a fan....but her shows are fabulous.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

No.

10characters.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This thread has got me listening to Bedtime Stories. Such a great album. I have to thank louie for getting me back into this album a while ago!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nope.I loss interest with her in the late 1980's.Her first few albums were great.Along with the videos on the old MTV.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have a feeling I won't care for Madonna's upcoming work, but I still am interested to see what she has to say. What I heard of Hard Candy was a sonic abortion. Like Al said, Madonna really has seemed to of lost her touch post Ray Of Light. Though I will admit, Confessions On A Dance Floor is my single biggest guilty pleasure.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
I haven't loved anything Madonna has done since Ray Of Light but I will check it out to see if it's any good. I love her earlier stuff, she was untouchable from 1984 - 1998. My favourites are often her ballads actually, especially Take A Bow and Crazy For You, in fact the whole Something To Remember album is fantastic. Like A Prayer too.
Agreed on all counts. My favorite albums from her are Erotica, Bedtime Stories, and Ray of Light. Most of her newer stuff has been somewhat disappointing, although like Louie said, Confessions is a guilty pleasure.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think her Confessions album from '05 is just brilliant... It's her only album I like every track... But I like a lot of her stuff.

I'm interested in hearing it... Heard that one leaked half finished song, that sounded pretty finished to me.. sounds pretty good, and have heard the tune she just won the golden globe for from her movie and it too sounds really good...

Didn't she just sign like a 3 album deal with Interscope? [speaking about not being on a label, proper].

I don't follow her close enough to know everything about her, but why does the press and I suppose to a large extent, the public give her such a hard time, most notably for sounding british when she lived in Britain for years? I always found it kind of funny when ever anyone bashed her saying she's trying to sound 'British', like it's all faked. It works the other way too.. When you have a transplant that's say from either the UK or Australia living in North America they just over time naturally start to sound American... goes both ways. Has always stuck me as odd!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hard Candy was just so dreadful I'm not getting my hopes up. I will admit that as long as she is releasing albums I'll be buying them just because of how much I love her. Give Me All Your Love sounds putrid to be honest, but I'm sure there will be at least a few songs I will like.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishStevieFan View Post
I hope it's not true You know, I think she shoudn't be interested in sales and certifications. She should just release great album like she used to do in the past. Personally I hope that one day she'll go back to "American Life" style. That electronica-folky stuff was really interesting and way too underrated. I remember hearing "Nothing Fails" and asking myself "why wasn't it a bigger hit?".
Nothing Fails is a great song, from a great album. Mother & Father is another great track! Many don't like that album, but, well, it's bound to happen (it's one of my favorite Madonna albums - probably top 3).

Artists grow - they can't always stay the same or they get stale. Sometimes our tastes grow in the same direction as well, and sometimes not. Many of my favorites from even 10 years ago no longer hold any interest for me, but Madonna always manages to keep me interested. Hopefully this remains true!

Hard Candy has some great moments - Voices, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You, Give It To Me, Beat Goes On, Miles Away - all are great songs easily as good as her best classic material.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case