Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ultimate Classic Rock Top 10 CM Songs

Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs

by Michael Gallucci Ultimate Classic Rock, July 12, 2013
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chris...ood-mac-songs/

Christine McVie was a member of Fleetwood Mac long before Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined and transformed them from a lumbering ’60s British blues band into one of the ’70s’ biggest acts. She joined the group in 1970 and slowly evolved into one of its strongest songwriters. But once Buckingham and Nicks got on board for 1975′s reboot, McVie stepped up even more, writing and singing some of Fleetwood Mac’s biggest hits. Even if she occasionally got lost outside of the spotlight that was increasingly aimed at the California couple, McVie often contributed standout cuts on milestone records like ‘Rumours’ and ‘Tusk.’ Our list of the Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs proves that Buckingham and Nicks were just part of the singer-songwriter powerhouse that fueled the band.

10 'Everywhere'

In spite of its very '80s production, Lindsey Buckingham's last album with the band's most famous and successful lineup contains some of its most sophisticated pop songs. McVie's 'Everywhere,' released as the LP's fourth single, reached No. 14, their last Top 20 hit. It's a typically shimmering piece of music from the band, which was splintering beyond repair at the time.

9 The opening track of 1982's 'Mirage' sets the tone for the relatively scaled-back album (following the super-ambitious 'Tusk'), coasting along a warm and cozy McVie melody. Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks provide heavenly harmonies, but 'Love in Store' is mostly McVie's song, right down to her welcoming, worn-in vocal.

8 McVie's 'Rumours' solo showcase features mainly just piano and vocal with very spare backing. 'Songbird' is one of her loveliest compositions and one of her most personal. Which explains the intimate performance she gives. Nestled between 'Go Your Own Way' and 'The Chain' on the multi-platinum album, the song serves as a calm before and after the storms.

7 Like 'Everywhere' (see No. 10 on our list of the Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs), 'Little Lies' bears the highly polished production favored by just about everyone in the mid-'80s. But McVie's gently rocking song -- co-written with her husband at the time, Eddy Quintela -- packs a mighty hook. Released as a single, 'Little Lies' made it to No. 4, tied as Fleetwood Mac's biggest hit since 'Don't Stop,' and their last Top 10.

6. 'Tusk,' Fleetwood Mac's double-record follow-up to the career-defining 'Rumours,' is generally viewed as a Lindsey Buckingham project -- from the album's general epic sprawl to its intricate production. Backed by Buckingham, 'Think About Me' is a tight, compact and surprisingly tough rocker by McVie, who usually countered her bandmate's biting sour notes with soft sweetness.

5 Fleetwood Mac's superstar era pretty much kicked off with this Top 20 single (the band's first Top 40 hit) from their self-titled 1975 reboot. Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks gave the veteran British blues group the pop smarts it needed to hit the charts, but the band led its charge with McVie's 'Over My Head,' which set the template for her role in the band's storied singer-songwriter trio as the one who wrote its best soft rockers.

4 As on a few other cuts on our list of the Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs, she gets ample support from Lindsey Buckingham on 'Hold Me,' the first single from the band's first album of the '80s. But McVie co-wrote it (with British singer-songwriter Robbie Patton) and guides it through the subtle twists and turns. The song became one of the band's biggest hits, making it to No. 4.

3 By the time 'You Make Loving Fun' was released as 'Rumours'' third single, the album was well on its way to becoming one of the bestselling LPs ever. The song celebrates McVie's affair with a member of Fleetwood Mac's tour crew, which probably thrilled her bass-playing bandmate ex. But 'Rumours' was built on that type of friction.

2 McVie's biggest hit with Fleetwood Mac (only 'Dreams,' the band's sole No. 1, was bigger) is really a group song. At least in performance, where Lindsey Buckingham shares a huge chunk of lead vocals. But McVie wrote it, and it carriers her imprint, from the big piano-powered melody to the finely tuned (and super-tuneful) interplay of the verse and choruses.

1 'Over My Head' (see No. 5 on our list of the Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs) may have launched Fleetwood Mac Mach 5 (or whatever number they were on at this stage), but 'Say You Love Me' confirmed their status as pop stars. Stevie Nicks' 'Rhiannon,' 'Fleetwood Mac''s second single, reached No. 11 and was the group's biggest song up until then, but McVie's cut (also a No. 11 hit) helped send the No. 1 album on its way to multi-platinum glory.

Last edited by michelej1; 07-12-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like this list. I would have included a couple of songs from the latter part of her career.

Also, I may not have included Love in Store, even though I love it myself and think it does not get enough attention. Standalone, it may not be as powerful as it is to me, within the context of Mirage.

Michele
Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I like this list. I would have included a couple of songs from the latter part of her career.

Also, I may not have included Love in Store, even though I love it myself and think it does not get enough attention. Standalone, it may not be as powerful as it is to me, within the context of Mirage.

Michele
It seems like it's really just a list of her Fleetwood Mac hits (with the exception of Songbird I guess). You wouldn't have to know the Mac or CM very well to come up with this.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Washington Times by John Haydon

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-songs/print/

The List: Top 10 Christine McVie songs

Happy birthday Christine McVie. The former Fleetwood Mac keyboardist, vocalist and writer of some of the band's biggest hits, notably "Don't Stop (Thinking About Tomorrow)," celebrates her 70th birthday on July 12. Raised in Birmingham, England, Miss McVie joined the band in 1970 after marrying founding bassist John McVie. She left the group in 1998 after Fleetwood Mac was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The List this week looks at the Top 10 songs Miss McVie wrote for the group.

10. Songbird (1977) — Written and performed by Miss McVie, this beautiful and touching ballad was often played as the encore of many Fleetwood Mac concerts. It was one of her four songs on the huge-selling "Rumors" album. A version of the song by American singer Eva Cassidy of Bowie, Md., was released in 1998 on a posthumous album of the same name and reached No. 1 in Britain.

9. "Warm Ways" (1975) — This beautiful song was the first single from the 1975 "Fleetwood Mac" album in Britain but it was not released as a single in the U.S.

8. Everywhere (1987) — This song from the "Tango in the Night" album reached No. 14 in the U.S. and No. 4 in Britain. It was re-released in the Britain in March this year and reached No. 15 after it was used in a cellphone TV commercial with Socks, a moonwalking Shetland pony dancing to the tune.

7. "Think About Me" (1979) — It was the third Top 20 single released from the "Tusk" album and reached No. 20 in the U.S. in 1980. In 2010, Alfred Soto of PopMatters described the song as "the unlikeliest of things: a McVie rocker."

6. "Say You Love Me" (1976) — This was the band's third hit from the 1975 self-titled album. The song reached No. 11 in the U.S. but only hit the No. 40 spot in Britain.

5. "Don't Stop (Thinking About Tomorrow) " (1977) — This was probably Miss McVie's biggest song for the band. She wrote the song for the 1977 mega hit album "Rumours" which has sold an estimated 40 million copies and is the sixth-best-selling album in U.S. history. The song reached No. 3 on the Billboard charts. Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton used it as his campaign anthem in 1992.

4. "You Make Loving Fun" (1977) — This was another hit from the "Rumors" album and reached No. 9 on the Billboard charts. An on-the-road affair with the band's lighting director is said to have inspired Miss McVie to write this song.

3. "Little Lies" (1987) — This song was the third single from the "Tango in the Night" album and reached No. 4 in the U.S. and No. 5 in Britain. It was the band's last Top 10 hit. Miss McVie wrote the song with then-husband Eddy Quintela.

2. "Over My Head" (1975) — Miss McVie penned this song for the "Fleetwood Mac" album, the band's second eponymous album and 10th overall. The single became the band's first radio hit in the U.S., peaking at No. 20 on the Billboard Hot 100.

1. "Hold Me" (1982) — Miss McVie co-wrote this song with Robbie Patton who was an opening act for Fleetwood Mac in 1979. It reached No. 3 in the U.S. and was one of the band's biggest hits. The song is reported to have been inspired by Miss McVie's relationship with Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson.

What's your favorite Christine McVie tune?

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2Yt3dWkkU
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Washington Times by John Haydon

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-songs/print/

The List: Top 10 Christine McVie songs

Happy birthday Christine McVie. The former Fleetwood Mac keyboardist, vocalist and writer of some of the band's biggest hits, notably "Don't Stop (Thinking About Tomorrow)," celebrates her 70th birthday on July 12. Raised in Birmingham, England, Miss McVie joined the band in 1970 after marrying founding bassist John McVie. She left the group in 1998 after Fleetwood Mac was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The List this week looks at the Top 10 songs Miss McVie wrote for the group.

10. Songbird (1977) — Written and performed by Miss McVie, this beautiful and touching ballad was often played as the encore of many Fleetwood Mac concerts. It was one of her four songs on the huge-selling "Rumors" album. A version of the song by American singer Eva Cassidy of Bowie, Md., was released in 1998 on a posthumous album of the same name and reached No. 1 in Britain.

9. "Warm Ways" (1975) — This beautiful song was the first single from the 1975 "Fleetwood Mac" album in Britain but it was not released as a single in the U.S.

8. Everywhere (1987) — This song from the "Tango in the Night" album reached No. 14 in the U.S. and No. 4 in Britain. It was re-released in the Britain in March this year and reached No. 15 after it was used in a cellphone TV commercial with Socks, a moonwalking Shetland pony dancing to the tune.

7. "Think About Me" (1979) — It was the third Top 20 single released from the "Tusk" album and reached No. 20 in the U.S. in 1980. In 2010, Alfred Soto of PopMatters described the song as "the unlikeliest of things: a McVie rocker."

6. "Say You Love Me" (1976) — This was the band's third hit from the 1975 self-titled album. The song reached No. 11 in the U.S. but only hit the No. 40 spot in Britain.

5. "Don't Stop (Thinking About Tomorrow) " (1977) — This was probably Miss McVie's biggest song for the band. She wrote the song for the 1977 mega hit album "Rumours" which has sold an estimated 40 million copies and is the sixth-best-selling album in U.S. history. The song reached No. 3 on the Billboard charts. Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton used it as his campaign anthem in 1992.

4. "You Make Loving Fun" (1977) — This was another hit from the "Rumors" album and reached No. 9 on the Billboard charts. An on-the-road affair with the band's lighting director is said to have inspired Miss McVie to write this song.

3. "Little Lies" (1987) — This song was the third single from the "Tango in the Night" album and reached No. 4 in the U.S. and No. 5 in Britain. It was the band's last Top 10 hit. Miss McVie wrote the song with then-husband Eddy Quintela.

2. "Over My Head" (1975) — Miss McVie penned this song for the "Fleetwood Mac" album, the band's second eponymous album and 10th overall. The single became the band's first radio hit in the U.S., peaking at No. 20 on the Billboard Hot 100.

1. "Hold Me" (1982) — Miss McVie co-wrote this song with Robbie Patton who was an opening act for Fleetwood Mac in 1979. It reached No. 3 in the U.S. and was one of the band's biggest hits. The song is reported to have been inspired by Miss McVie's relationship with Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson.

What's your favorite Christine McVie tune?

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2Yt3dWkkU
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
I liked the picture on this one!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I liked the picture on this one!
I prefer this last list too!
"Over my head" and "Little lies" in the first place, but also "Warm ways", "Everywhere", "You make loving fun" and "Say you love me" are my fav songs, along with all the others that everyone seems to forgets about, but which are masterpieces: "Brown eyes", "Come a little bit closer", "Never forget", "Prove your love", "Wish you were here", "Only over you", "Over & over", "Ricky", "Why", "Isn't it midnight", "As long as you follow", "Love in store" just to name a few.