Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default LB in Kingston Trio PBS Pledge Special

Lompoc Record 10/29/2015

http://lompocrecord.com/entertainmen...e30e9a449.html

Having performed for nearly 60 years, the Kingston Trio is one of the four best-selling acts in the history of Capital Records. The others are the Beatles, the Beach Boys and Frank Sinatra.

The group recently filmed a concert for a 2016 PBS pledge special with testimonials and additional tribute performances from Tom Paxton, Brian Wilson, Woody Allen, Sleepy Man Banjo Boys, Steve Martin, Marcus Mumford of Mumford & Sons, Lindsay Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac, John Sebastian, Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul & Mary, the Punch Brothers, Bjorn Ulvaeus of ABBA, Paul Simon, Mort Sahl and Bruce Springsteen.

Tickets at $40, $46 and $48 can be purchased at the Clark Center for the Performing Arts box office, 487 Fair Oaks Ave., Arroyo Grande, from noon to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon to 4 p.m. Saturday.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How can this be current when John Stewart is deceased?
Old 10-31-2015, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Hologram I'm sure.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
isn't Kingston Trio always changing members? it's not like John Stewart was one of the original ones either. so it's probably whatever the current reincarnation of the band exists.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Seance.

Michele
Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[There's going to be a new Pledge special on June 25 and this article mentions the old one, which featured Lindsey in passing]

The Desert Sun Bruce Fessier, The Desert Sun 5:35 p.m. PDT June 10, 2016

http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/...trio/85624438/

Director Chip Miller was listening to a local bar band in a 500-year-old pub in Ireland. Curious, he turned to a young man and asked, "Who are your favorite American musicians?"

Without blinking, the lad replied, Bruce Springsteen and the Kingston Trio.

Miller gulped. The Kingston Trio?

The Kingston Trio is a folk group long associated with their 1958 hit, "Tom Dooley." It broke up in 1963 and its second incarnation, featuring songwriter John Stewart, disbanded when their trademark striped shirts began to look passé as the psychedelic era dawned in 1967. A new three-part harmony group now tours under the name the Kingston Trio. The last original member, Bob Shane, 82, only performs when the gig is within a day’s drive of his Arizona home. He last appeared at the McCallum Theatre in 2015.

But Miller is bringing Shane and his band back to center stage this month when PBS will air a pledge break special based on a concert Miller mounted last year at the historic Avalon Theatre in Los Angeles with such musical colleagues as Al Jardine of the Beach Boys, Timothy B. Schmit of the Eagles, Barry McGuire of "Eve of Destruction” fame, and Palm Springs folk-rock legend, Trini Lopez.

The odd thing about his experience in Ireland was that Miller had recently been pondering a new special on the Kingston Trio. At 69, he’d been a fan of the group since attending the School of Visual Arts in New York in the early 1970s. He’d been in a folk duo, called Reynolds and Miller, that opened for Seals and Cross and even Paul Simon after the breakup of Simon & Garfunkel. But he hadn’t even thought about the Kingston Trio in 30 years. Then, just before flying to Ireland to promote a tour in conjunction with his PBS special, “Rhythm of the Dance,” a producer of that show, Norm Anderson, asked if he was familiar with the Trio.

“Are you kidding?” Miller responded. “I have every one of their records.”

That might be a slight exaggeration since they recorded 39 albums, not counting dozens of compilations. Folkera.com calls them the first act to sell more LP records than singles, placing 14 albums in the Billboard Top 10. Their self-titled debut, containing “Tom Dooley,” not only hit number one, it won the first Grammy for Best Country Record at a time when there were no categories for folk music.

Miller was intrigued by Anderson’s suggestion that he direct a special on the Kingston Trio. The producer had released a DVD through his Time Media company on the history of the Kingston Trio called “50 Years of Fun." It contained the last interviews with Stewart and original member Nick Reynolds, who both died in 2008. But it only sold 5,000 copies.

Anderson provided Shane’s contact information and Miller wrote a letter to Bobbie Childress-Shane, who manages her husband’s website and fantasy camp, where hundreds of people pay $1,200 a person to sing and play with Shane and the latest incarnation of the Kingston Trio. The Shanes had seen some of Miller’s work on PBS, including a special he had shot in Palm Springs of singer-actress Diahann Carroll for local producers Kim Waltrip and Jim Casey. They agreed to do a special if Miller could obtain financing, mount a concert to film and sell the idea to PBS.

PBS had done other specials on the Kingston Trio. “This Land Is Your Land” was hosted by John Sebastian of the Lovin’ Spoonful, but Miller called it “like an infomercial.” “The Kingston Trio Reunion” was produced in the early 1980s by Miller’s “Rhythm of the Dance,” producing partner Terrel Cass. It was the only time Shane, Reynolds, Stewart and original member Dave Guard appeared on stage together. Tommy Smothers hosted it with guest stars Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac, Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary, and touring Kingston Trio members George Grove and Roger Gambill.

hat special was released on DVD in 2003 and segments are on YouTube, including Smothers’ introduction of Stewart, saying, “Spending time with John Stewart is like spending time alone.” But Miller completely missed the special and says it’s because it only aired once.

“The reason was, it didn’t get very good reviews,” Miller said in an interview from inside of his yellow Indian Wells Country Club house. “When I went back and watched it, I didn’t like the direction, I didn’t like the set, I didn’t like the editing, but, worst of all, Tommy Smothers – who I’m a big fan of– was constantly interrupting with jokes and gags. It was taking the seriousness of the reunion away.”

Miller told Terrel the special didn’t explain the trio’s influence on subsequent acts, which is why he wanted to do a celebration of the Kingston Trio’s legacy featuring other musical artists.

“He said, ‘If you can get a couple other people to commit, I’m all ears,’” recalled Miller. “So I went to work.”

What amazed Miller as he prepared to pitch investors and artists he had known from years of making music videos was how respected the Kingston Trio remained 40 years after former folkies like Bob Dylan, The Byrds and the Mamas and the Papas had taken folk in new directions. He discovered even musically-sophisticated millennials knew that the Kingston Trio inspired their favorite acoustic groups.

“The first place I saw that was in the London Times,” Miller said. “There was an article about two years ago with a big picture of Mumford and Sons and the headline was, ‘The new Kingston Trio.’ I went, ‘What?” And I read it and it talked about how Marcus Mumford is a huge fan of the Kingston Trio.”

Then he started investigating college radio. He was pleasantly surprised to find that neo-folk was dominating the playlists aimed at young adults, along with EDM.

“The Lumineers, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, He and She, Mumford – I was really impressed by that,” he said. “I thought, ‘If these are the kids whose parents turned them onto it, then there’s a generation out there that’s going to dig this show.’

It might not have been the millennials’ parents. Miller learned the Kingston Trio influenced artists from the 1960s, ‘70s and ‘80s. Mick Jagger covered the Kingston Trio hit, “The Long Black Veil” (originally recorded by Lefty Frizzell and subsequently covered by Joan Baez and Johnny Cash) on a Chieftains tribute album in 1995. Jardine and Schmit were such avid Kingston Trio fans that they were among the first people Miller asked to be part of the PBS special. Bjorn Ulzaeus was in a Kingston Trio-type band before co-founding ABBA. He’s taping a message to be delivered to Shane on the special.

“Even though they (the Kingston Trio) kind of disappeared,” Miller said. “Their music and their legacy and their songs have not.”

But, what is it about their legacy that manages to ripple through the space-time continuum?

It started with the mystery behind their biggest hit, “Tom Dooley.” Shane introduces it by saying, “Throughout history, there have been many songs written about the eternal triangle. This next one tells the story of a Mr. Grayson, a beautiful woman and a condemned many named Tom Dooley.”

The narrative inspired a 1959 movie starring Michael Landon of “Bonanza” fame, numerous research papers and books chronicling the true origins of the story of a post-Civil War murder of a North Carolina girl named Laura Foster who didn’t show up for a walk through the hills with her friend, Tom Dula. When her body was found in a shallow grave, Dula was arrested and executed.

The song was recorded as early as 1927 by Henry Whitter and G.B. Grayson, the grand-nephew of the “Mr. Grayson” who supposedly brought Dula to justice. Its success for the Kingston Trio took the boys by complete surprise.

“We just put it on our album without expecting it to do anything at all,” Shane said in an interview before a McCallum appearance. “A couple disc jockeys in Salt Lake City picked up on it and started plugging it and it just broke all of a sudden. In Salt Lake City, it was so popular, they sold 11,000 albums in a week. It pushed Capitol to pull it off the album and make it a single.”

Why did the song resonate so remarkably?

“The best one I (heard),” Shane said, “a fellow said to me, ‘If you had a public hanging in Madison Square Gardens it would be sold out in one day.”

The song spawned a legal battle over the copyright that involved two late Coachella Valley residents: Artie Mogull, who once tried to start a big band hall of fame in Palm Springs, and Howie Richmond, a Rancho Mirage resident who co-founded the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Richmond published “Tom Dooley” with his Ludlow Music company after purchasing a book by Alan Lomax, who claimed to have “collected” the song as part of an anthropological mission to discover public domain songs of the South. Mogull represented the Kingston Trio in bringing the song to an A&R man at Capitol Records after Shane said they heard a guy singing it at an audition at the Purple Onion nightclub in San Francisco.

The Kingston Trio were not a folk group in the tradition of predecessors such as Lead Belly, Woody Guthrie and the Weavers. They took their name, Kingston, from their respect for Harry Belafonte, who really started the folk music revival with his Jamaican music after Pete Seeger and the Weavers were blacklisted for their alleged communist leanings. Shane did impersonations of Belafonte, as well as Elvis Presley and Hank Williams Jr. in his home state of Hawaii.

He said it was his trio's ability to play all different kinds of music, and their decision to perform on college campuses instead of theaters, that contributed to their immense popularity.

Miller raised $565,000 to produce the Kingston Trio celebration and film it at the Avalon Theatre. He expects to have the financing for a cross-country support tour by July. By that time, the special will have played in 25 major markets and presumably some smaller ones to demonstrate the Kingston Trio legacy.

Shane says it’s not simple to explain.

“We were just three guys with a guitar and banjo and some bongos on the side and a bass player,” he said. “Strange, isn’t it? We more than anything called ourselves professional entertainers. In fact, we have a license plate that we sell on our website that says, ‘The Kingston Trio: Entertaining America since 1957.”
Old 06-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[There's going to be a new Pledge special on June 25 and this article mentions the old one, which featured Lindsey in passing]
I remember renting the old DVD from Netflix
and recording it.

If you can sit through that show just to see
Lindsey, well I'd say you're a true fan.